PDA

View Full Version : Rule change that would benefit players and viewing

gugafanatic
07-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Personally I think a player should not be awarded another serve if he is to hit the net cord and the ball goes into play. This would not only speed up the game, but bring an element of fortune and perhaps humour into the game during close matches.

Some pros have suggested bringing the service line closer to the net but I am sure this would limit the effectiveness of the big servers i.e A.Rod.

Rodzilla
07-18-2005, 07:12 AM
Personally I think a player should not be awarded another serve if he is to hit the net cord and the ball goes into play. This would not only speed up the game, but bring an element of fortune and perhaps humour into the game during close matches.

Some pros have suggested bringing the service line closer to the net but I am sure this would limit the effectiveness of the big servers i.e A.Rod.

IMO, it should be something opposite. They should play lets out; bringing more of a sense of luck and fun to the game, though it would not be fun to the person having to return the let LOL.

The service line closer to the net? Who said this?

coachrick
07-18-2005, 07:51 AM
IMHO,there are two really stupid rules in tennis: First, the let serve...the ball SHOULD be played just as it is during the point...no reason to play another serve--eliminate guesswork, speed up the game, be consistent. Second, the toss-but-don't-hit-serve-do-over should be eliminated. Once the ball leaves your hand, the ball SHOULD be in play. SIlly rules!

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 10:26 AM
they need to stick with what got them to where they are today. tennis was very popular until they started messing with the rules.

routine125
07-18-2005, 10:30 AM
I agree with the let serve being played rather than a re-serve. It is an exciting element.

The reason I believe many players are against it, is that they would hate for that to happen on Match Point, they would like a chance to at least get the ball back in play and when there is a let and the ball just dribbles over the net, it would suck if that was the Wimbledon/US Open/French Open/Australian Open Championship match.

Patrick Rafter said this specifically as he was against the let serve being a live ball.

gugafanatic
07-18-2005, 03:51 PM
IMO, it should be something opposite. They should play lets out; bringing more of a sense of luck and fun to the game, though it would not be fun to the person having to return the let LOL.

The service line closer to the net? Who said this?

Yeah, sorry I did not clarify in my post but what I initially meant was that let serves should actually count as active play. However I made the assumption that most let serves would not be returnable which is true in most occasions.

Tommy Robredo Suggested bringing the service line closer to net.

Serving155
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Yeah, sorry I did not clarify in my post but what I initially meant was that let serves should actually count as active play. However I made the assumption that most let serves would not be returnable which is true in most occasions.

Tommy Robredo Suggested bringing the service line closer to net.

Tommy Robredo is a chick. Because his serve sucks he wants to bring everyone down to his level. This girl needs to play amateur just for suggesting that.

Markus Kaila
07-19-2005, 12:02 AM

Then we could see how the serve and match ball CREEPS
over the net even in the final of Wimbledon. The match ended with an
ace; ridiculous! That kind of lottery certainly is not good for tennis
in the long run! A proposal which on the contrary would diminish the
significance of chance in tennis is here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=18259