PDA

View Full Version : Lleyton Hewitt is just

ajs72us
07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
A jerk. After reading about all his lil antics on the court this weekend during Davis Cup. I have come to conclusion he is just a jerk on the court. He has no sportsmanship but is full of gamesmenship. Any thoughts?

aj_m2009
07-18-2005, 08:05 AM
i have to agree with ya there:)

littlelleyton
07-18-2005, 08:13 AM
this has been covered extensively in another thread over and over again. and i believe you mean his match against coria, as there were no issues raised about his match with Nalb or in the doubles. if this is the case then why is coria not mentioned in your post as his behaviour was questionable also. but then again your probably just jumping on the Hewitt Hater band wagon.

Tchocky
07-18-2005, 08:29 AM
I never liked Lleyton. He is a good player overall but will never win another Slam. He should get a haircut. His behavior is questionable at times. He has been dropped from Nike and is currently looking for an apparel contract. It sucks having to pay for your own clothes.

ajs72us
07-18-2005, 08:38 AM
I am not basing this on one match. What about AO (this year), the match against blake in 2001, and the past weekend's Davis Cup. If you lookback at all those events then you will see he is just a lil kid with a BIG MOUTH. He has shown how dumb and irresponsible he is. Sure he plays great tennis but he should not be idolized for his behavior. I am not trying to start something but this guy brings shame to a great sport. Yes I know Coria is a brat all on his own. I have read about him being a jerk. Yet I have never heard of him being a biggot or being anti-***. Even if he is both he knows to keep his mouth shut!

gonzalocatalino
07-18-2005, 08:40 AM
the world hates hewitt.
its a good player but not a good person.

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 08:46 AM
So were Johnny Mac*, Jimmy Connors, Illie Nastase...all beloved legends of the game.

*my all-time fav.

Hewitt is good for the sport. Like I said elsewhere, I hope he spits at Roddick during a crossover and Andy cleans his clock.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 08:46 AM
A jerk. After reading about all his lil antics on the court this weekend during Davis Cup. I have come to conclusion he is just a jerk on the court. He has no sportsmanship but is full of gamesmenship. Any thoughts?
Compared to a guy like Coria, or Gaudio, Hewitt is a freakin saint...

Andy Hewitt
07-18-2005, 09:14 AM
Lleyton hewitt is my hero.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 09:15 AM
I actually like him a lot...

gts072
07-18-2005, 10:01 AM
Hewitt is good for the sport. Like I said elsewhere, I hope he spits at Roddick during a crossover and Andy cleans his clock.

I wouldn't mind seeing that...;)

Raul
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
"A jerk....came to this conclusion his is just a jerk on the court."
"His behavior is questionable"
"The world hates Hewitt.....not a good person."
Kind of says it all Andy.

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Compared to a guy like Coria, or Gaudio, Hewitt is a freakin saint...
What's Gaudio's damage?

He's one of the few Argentine's who didn't test positive for doping; he was overlooked by the Argentine Federation/Villas and didn't get the funding/sponsorship that Coria and Nalbandian received; he was incredibly gracious to that little crying rat Coria after claiming 2004 RG title.

...and yet, there seems to be a lot of animosity toward Gaudio on this mb.

I must have missed something. Please fill me in.

Thanks.

Andres
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Few Argentinians... aha.. so 3 argentinians test positive for doping and then, we're all juicers or dopes like you like to call us in this forum?

Argentina has 15 top 150 players, and 3 tested positive, and now only A FEW aren't "juicers" , or "druggies".

You people make me sick.

Andy Hewitt
07-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Few Argentinians... aha.. so 3 argentinians test positive for doping and then, we're all juicers or dopes like you like to call us in this forum?

Argentina has 15 top 150 players, and 3 tested positive, and now only A FEW aren't "juicers" , or "druggies".

You people make me sick.
Get those needles out of your arms!!

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 10:43 AM

You people make me sick.
Gaudio and Puerta (on clay), and Paola Suarez (doubles), make my Top 10 favorite players two watch. Yeah, I said they are among my very favorite players to watch...which is why I don't understand the animosity toward Gaudio expressed on this mb. He really comes across as a good guy (Coria, by contrast, is a spoiled, little, repulsive, crying rat).

Now, stop your sobbing and answer the question.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 10:46 AM
What's Gaudio's damage?

He's one of the few Argentine's who didn't test positive for doping; he was overlooked by the Argentine Federation/Villas and didn't get the funding/sponsorship that Coria and Nalbandian received; he was incredibly gracious to that little crying rat Coria after claiming 2004 RG title.

...and yet, there seems to be a lot of animosity toward Gaudio on this mb.

I must have missed something. Please fill me in.

Thanks.
For those of us who have met him, or been anywhere near him, we all know he is a total arse. Argentinians don't like him, he's a drama queen, I could continue...

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 10:50 AM
For those of us who have met him, or been anywhere near him, we all know he is a total arse. Argentinians don't like him, he's a drama queen, I could continue...
Thanks D.

(Now I'm sorry I asked...on the other hand, I don't have to worry about meeting the guy. :p )

You people make me sick.

Maybe the drama queen thang is cultural... ;) :p

TennisD
07-18-2005, 10:57 AM
Thanks D.

(Now I'm sorry I asked...on the other hand, I don't have to worry about meeting the guy. :p )
Ha, in Monte Carlo, I went to watch matches with some people from the academy. We met a lot of players, and all of them were quite nice and good guys. But Gaudio...

One kid with us was 15 years old, accidentally just barely bumped into Gaudio (big crowds tough to see where you are going and all), so anyways, Gaston loses it, shoves the kid, litterally picks him up and moves him out of the way, furious the whole time. What a tool...

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Ha, in Monte Carlo, I went to watch matches with some people from the academy. We met a lot of players, and all of them were quite nice and good guys. But Gaudio...

One kid with us was 15 years old, accidentally just barely bumped into Gaudio (big crowds tough to see where you are going and all), so anyways, Gaston loses it, shoves the kid, litterally picks him up and moves him out of the way, furious the whole time. What a tool...
Na na na na na na na na na na......

I'm not reading/hearing any of this, D. :p

TennisD
07-18-2005, 11:00 AM
Na na na na na na na na na na......

I'm not reading/hearing any of this, D. :p
Alright, but don't be disapointed when he picks you up and swears at you :D

federerhoogenbandfan
07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
I think off the court he seems like a really nice guy, but on the court his competitiveness can boil over into poor sportsmanship.

Andres
07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks D.

Maybe the drama queen thang is cultural... ;) :p

Nah, it's not. But it feels awful to hear we're dopes as a nation because three players did have positive dopings. How would you feel?

If it's just one guy in this forum saying, i woulnd't care, but it's becoming a massive opinion. Even McEnroe said someting like it.

And we don't like it... at all..

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Oh, I don't have to worry about that anywhere I go. At 215#+, I'm a Clydesdale. :mrgreen:

TennisD
07-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Oh, I don't have to worry about that anywhere I go. At 215#+, I'm a Clydesdale. :mrgreen:
I hear he's a strong fellow... :D

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Nah, it's not...
Peace, AG.

You should know that I'm a huge fan of Argentine tennis; that should be crystal clear above. I was simply trying to make a case for Gaudio as being a good guy and went about it the wrong way. (Insert foot in mouth.)

My apologies. We just got off on the wrong foot. No hard feeling, I hope.

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 11:13 AM
Another thing, how would I know if he's swearing at me?..unless he does so in English. No comprende Espanol.

fastdunn
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
I'll probably agree if someone says he is a jerk.

But for some reasons, he does not annoy me much.
He strikes me as a freasky guy. Sometimes he looks
kinda silly and funny.

For example, he usually very noisy. "Come-on"'s and
this strange hand jestures and stuff. But if it doesn't
work and he is losing, he hides his tail and goes very
quite. I find it very funny.

Another example, he often seems to threaten his opponents
and often look at them with very threatening look.
But the thing is that he actually is not a threatening figure
as you know. He is more like mosquitos keep coming at you
you know. I find it very funny somehow.

He is like that Australian reptile that spead the wing like
structure(to make him look big) and coming at you opening
its mouth big... Oh I'm big and coming at you....

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Andres,
4 Argentines have tested positive, not 3. Even if it was "only 3 out of 15" as you say, that's 20% of all Argentines in the top 150 that have been caught. That's a pretty high number, IMO.

Andres
07-18-2005, 11:19 AM
Nooo, I don't have any problem with you. In fact, you didn't say anything offensive. I just didn't like the "Few Argentinians" thing.

In ARG we have passion for our players. And not just tennis. Have you seen the Manu Ginobili media explotion? Now everybody want to play basketball.

No hard feelings, though ;)

Anyways, I try not to be blind. I had the pleasure to meet all the Argentinians ATP players, and they're such great persons... but I can't stand Coria's attitude in court... he's such a weiner... and he complains about everything ;)

I'm just against TW users to call us "juicers" or "dopers"

Andres
07-18-2005, 11:23 AM
Kevin. I understand it's a high number.

But Coria's case was with a contaminated vitamine.
Puerta's case was an asthma medicament (if he had declared it before the test, it was not a positive doping, because was a permitted medicament)
And Caņas', it's a diuretic, and in a minimal dosis above the allowed.

It makes me think about the negligency of the technical staff of each player...

You really think Coria's a doper? Have you seen against Nadal at MS Rome? he could barely walk at the 5th set...

Andres
07-18-2005, 11:28 AM
And I realize 3 (or eventually 4) cases in 3 years it's a lot...
I don't care if you guys talk about their dopings, but i DO CARE if you're saying argentinians are juicers (because i've read it several times, and i won't say from who)...

That makes me furious. Won't you be in my case? (or any argentine user) ? Ask Cristian (speedy_tennis)

ajs72us
07-18-2005, 11:30 AM
Greg Rusedski, Stefan Koubek, and probably more out there have doped. This is not a forum to spew biggoted comments. People should be judged by there character not there nationality.
Back to the main point of this thread. They say it is in the heat of battle, that is an excuse for immaturity which Lleyton shows a great deal of. Funny how he dissed out on Nike or vice versa just after Roddick signed a big ole agreement with Lacoste and then right before Wimbledon with Lexus. Lleyton might be a LITTLE jealous of him?
For the record I am Jim Courier and Thomas Muster fan. Guys who made a living being in your face warriors like Hewitt but never spewed the junk Hewitt has.

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 11:50 AM
I hear he's a strong fellow... :D
I don't know who I'll get in more trouble with responding to that! AG or aj.

LMAO! :p :p

TennisD
07-18-2005, 11:51 AM
I don't know who I'll get in more trouble with responding to that! AG or aj.

LMAO! :p :p
HA! I just realized that too! lol!

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 12:14 PM
ajs72us,
Courier & Muster had more than their share of ugly on court incidents. Neither(especially Muster) was very popular in the locker room. I remember Muster pumping his fist & looking right at his opponent many times.
Was just watching an old Sampras-Courier match. Courier argued a call with the umpire. Next point, Courier "miss-times" a serve return & almost takes off the umpire's head.
Courier holds up his hand like it was an accident. Crowd boos. No warning because you can't prove it was intentional.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 12:16 PM
ajs72us,
Courier & Muster had more than their share of ugly on court incidents. Neither(especially Muster) was very popular in the locker room. I remember Muster pumping his fist & looking right at his opponent many times.
Was just watching an old Sampras-Courier match. Courier argued a call with the umpire. Next point, Courier "miss-times" a serve return & almost takes off the umpire's head.
Courier holds up his hand like it was an accident. Crowd boos. No warning because you can't prove it was intentional.
Jim always did have a sense of humour! :D

Babblelot
07-18-2005, 12:20 PM
ajs72us,
Good stuff!

Courier's #4 on my list of all-time favorite players. (Never did care much for Pete or Andre).

joeman957
07-18-2005, 01:22 PM
Hewitt makes tennis a bit more interesting.

Rabbit
07-18-2005, 01:32 PM
ajs72us,

I saw Agassi do the same thing at the Sybase. He and Courier must have developed this routine at NB's.

On the flip side, the first final I saw Muster make on the ATP was against a guy named Duncan. Yeah, that's the point. This guy shot his mouth off doing his impression of Joe Wily "guaranteeing" a win against Muster. Muster never said a word, he let his racket do the talking. My impression of Muster was always that he was single-minded, but a sportsman in the truest sense.

Hewitt & Coria are twin sons of a different mother in my opinion.

Yours!05
07-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Hewitt & Coria are twin sons of a different mother in my opinion.:D :D

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.:rolleyes:

FedererUberAlles
07-18-2005, 04:19 PM
You should count Puerta out as he was on an asthma medication. Not really his fault.

divito
07-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Hewitt is a good player, and what he does on court makes the match more interesting.

gugafanatic
07-18-2005, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Hewitt is good for the sport. Like I said elsewhere, I hope he spits at Roddick during a crossover and Andy cleans his clock.[/QUOTE]

That is one of the funniest things I have read on the board.

divito
07-18-2005, 05:05 PM
I hope Hewitt would spit on Roddick for sure. About Roddick doing anything about it, I'd hope Hewitt kicks his ***.

USCfan
07-18-2005, 05:55 PM
Lleyton Hewitt is an idiot...it's too bad too, because I think he'd still do very well without the attitude.

BERDI4
07-18-2005, 06:55 PM
I think it's ok if Hewitt does the c'mon thing but not when he's local. It's easy to do that when you have all the crowd supporting you as in the Davis Cup. If he has guts then he should do it as a visitor. I don't think he would do it in Buenos Aires in a Davis Cup match against Argentina.

syntex1
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
i hope he dosent change look at all the posts about him, love him or hate him he makes headlines for the sport of tennis. We all want to watch his matches too see what comes up next, its like a one man soap
The guy is at the very top of the game and he got there doing it his way why do so many of u have a problem with that, next time i run my opponent around and make him miss a shot im going to yell 'come on' i made him miss i deserve the point.

Rabbit
07-20-2005, 04:41 AM
I think it's ok if Hewitt does the c'mon thing but not when he's local. It's easy to do that when you have all the crowd supporting you as in the Davis Cup. If he has guts then he should do it as a visitor. I don't think he would do it in Buenos Aires in a Davis Cup match against Argentina.

You know, that's a great point and one evidently lost on Hewitt. The Argentinian fans are a bit more vocal than the Australians and probably not as equitable in their appreciation of a good contest. In other words, Hewitt is cooked when Australia next plays in Argentina which is a distinct possibility since both countries excel at Davis Cup. Hewitt vs Coria on clay in Argentina. That's one that I won't miss simply to watch things even out.

EyeOfTheTiger
07-20-2005, 05:06 AM
That's right, syntex1. Like him or not, we would be calling Hewitt possibly on his way to being the greatest player ever if it were not for Federer. He is the most tenacious competitor to come since Connors, and I love Hewitt's impact on the game. I just hope he can finally win another slam since 02. Maybe someone can knock Federer out for him(Gasquet, Nadal, Safin) or he has to meet Federer on an off day when Federer is not there mentally, which is a rarity.

EyeOfTheTiger
07-20-2005, 05:12 AM
You know, that's a great point and one evidently lost on Hewitt. The Argentinian fans are a bit more vocal than the Australians and probably not as equitable in their appreciation of a good contest. In other words, Hewitt is cooked when Australia next plays in Argentina which is a distinct possibility since both countries excel at Davis Cup. Hewitt vs Coria on clay in Argentina. That's one that I won't miss simply to watch things even out.

IMO, I think Hewitt would still do it in Argentina. I mean Hewitt has no reason to fear the Argies, and I'm sure he'll want to make up for his loss to Nalbandian. Lleyton never is conscious about his antics unless he's up against someone who has been owning him(Federer), and I fully expect him next time against the Argies to still do the "c'mons". I would not miss another matchup between Hewitt and Coria either, Rabbit.

TennisD
07-20-2005, 06:43 AM
Lleyton Hewitt is an idiot...it's too bad too, because I think he'd still do very well without the attitude.
Pffft, so guys like McEnroe, Connors, Nastase, and even our buddy Giulermo Coria, who are absolutely gigantic *****s of the first class, far worse than Hewitt, are "ok" and Lleyton isn't?

I'm sorry, I don't understand that...

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 06:51 AM
it all comes down to what type of player you prefer to watch and obviously some people cant put aside the attitude players like Lleyton have and just enjoy tennis. is that not what we are all interested in?
me, i like any of the players on tour as no matter what we think they are playing the game at a level that for most is beyond them.

TennisD
07-20-2005, 06:52 AM
Agreed, I focus on the tennis first, and the personality later...

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 07:01 AM
it really doesnt matter if players are the nicest guys in the world or if they are selfish etc we are lucky that with the way technology has developed and coverage is more wide spread that we get a chance to see in more detail the players we like to watch more and more. i bet over the course of history there have been plenty of players in all sports that have been arrogant and stuck up etc its human nature you are always going to find them, but 1st and fore most if the tennis is fun and enjoyable and you get a bit of excitment from an arguement here and there then so be it, bring it on. if you ask me you should get 2 points if you hit them that would make match like Lleyton and corias a whole lot more exciting ( thats not a serious rule change i would expect to happen, for all you people out there that cant understand light hearted humour)

Rabbit
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
You know, there used to be something called class in sports. It is going by the wayside now. Paul Annacone relates the story of a first round match and his opponent was acting like a banty rooster (Hewitt) fist pumping and acting like it was the finals of the Masters. His opponent won the first set and was skipping around the court yelling "yeah, yeah!, YEAH!". Annacone made the comment that he thought he was back in college. College you say? What's the difference here? These guys a professionals. They should act like they've been there before.

With regard to Nastase, Connors, and McEnroe. The worst of the 3 was McEnroe. He was confronted on more than one occasion by even Connors for his behavior. Connors and Nastase were not aholes all the time. They could be very entertaining and charming on court. They did, however, have their dark sides. But, they did not behave like Hewitt and Coria every time they step on court.

The behavior of the Serena Williams is very much like that of Lleyton Hewitt. I cannot stand either of them and their stare downs, their in your face shrieks. What they are doing is gamesmanship, pure and simple. They are trying to intimidate their opponents with action, not game. I think both should be defaulted based on behavior. Speaking of which, John McEnroe was defaulted on behavior....when will Hewitt (or Coria)? For the record, I see Coria's behavior more as that of a spoiled child and Hewitt's more as a thug.

divito
07-20-2005, 10:45 AM
I love Hewitt.

TennisD
07-20-2005, 11:10 AM
You know, there used to be something called class in sports. It is going by the wayside now. Paul Annacone relates the story of a first round match and his opponent was acting like a banty rooster (Hewitt) fist pumping and acting like it was the finals of the Masters. His opponent won the first set and was skipping around the court yelling "yeah, yeah!, YEAH!". Annacone made the comment that he thought he was back in college. College you say? What's the difference here? These guys a professionals. They should act like they've been there before.

With regard to Nastase, Connors, and McEnroe. The worst of the 3 was McEnroe. He was confronted on more than one occasion by even Connors for his behavior. Connors and Nastase were not aholes all the time. They could be very entertaining and charming on court. They did, however, have their dark sides. But, they did not behave like Hewitt and Coria every time they step on court.

The behavior of the Serena Williams is very much like that of Lleyton Hewitt. I cannot stand either of them and their stare downs, their in your face shrieks. What they are doing is gamesmanship, pure and simple. They are trying to intimidate their opponents with action, not game. I think both should be defaulted based on behavior. Speaking of which, John McEnroe was defaulted on behavior....when will Hewitt (or Coria)? For the record, I see Coria's behavior more as that of a spoiled child and Hewitt's more as a thug.
Class or no class, I kinda disagree. There's nothing wrong with trying to intimidate your opponent as long as you are doing it within the rules. Personally, I would never act like Hewitt. But I would also never tell anyone to not do so. Off the court, he's a nice, charming guy, from what I've seen. On the court, he's an animal. Many pros I know have told me that that is exactly what it takes to win. You MUST be an animal on the court. There are different ways to achieve this, and different approaches, and Hewitt takes one of these. But still, the point remains...

prostaff1
07-20-2005, 11:26 AM
"Like him or not, we would be calling Hewitt possibly on his way to being the greatest player ever if it were not for Federer." Eye Of The Tiger

Exactly what are you basing this on?

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 02:10 PM

maybe you dont like Lleyton but you and other people will be talking about him in 20 years time just like people are talking about Mac, both good and bad. the mark that someone has made an impact in the sport. the very fact you dislike him only contributes to his future status of a tennis legend wether you like it or not. your grandchildren will know who lleyton hewitt is will they have heard of say someone like Johansson, a grand slam winner and solid pro, maybe maybe not. so please continue with your dislike of hewitt as it just makes him a bigger personality the more he is talked about, good or bad.

Yours!05
07-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by RabbitThe Argentinian fans are a bit more vocal than the Australians and probably not as equitable in their appreciation of a good contest.Thankfully, the furry one always pronounces with caution and a welcome absence of hyperbole, but this has has to be the understatement of the Century.

(I bow to no-one in my ability to watch Argentina v. Australia on TV, employing my remarkable visual and aural acuity of course...);)

Defcon
07-20-2005, 03:56 PM
Well I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread but for what its worth, Nadal's song and dance and flying come-on fist pumps after every freaking point are a million times more annoying than anything Hewitt's done, yet for some reason that gets completely overlooked and Nadal is a darling.

Hewitt's behaviour on court just seems an expression of his inner self - 'one angry mate'. He uses his come-on's to fuel his competitive fire, which is his major weapon. From everything I've read he's quite down to earth and approachable.

Keifers
07-20-2005, 11:22 PM
Hewitt's behaviour on court just seems an expression of his inner self - 'one angry mate'. He uses his come-on's to fuel his competitive fire, which is his major weapon. From everything I've read he's quite down to earth and approachable.

On-court antics aside, what really turned me off Hewitt 2 or 3 years ago was a lack of respect he showed towards Patrick Rafter. Preparing an article about Rafter's upcoming retirement, a senior writer for TENNIS magazine approached several ATP pros for their comments about him. Hewitt dismissed his request with a "Talk to my people." (Philippoussis, BTW, was similarly curt.)

This is not in the tradition of tennis sportsmanship, and certainly not in the tradition of sportsmanship that made Australian tennis players so well-respected the world over.

Agassi, on the other hand, acknowledged Rafter's professionalism and character (on and off court) and said that Patrick would be missed -- pretty much what you would expect from one of the senior statesmen of the game.

I have a hard time imagining Lleyton as a statesman of the game when he's in his 30s.

federerhoogenbandfan
07-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Hewitt is a jerk, Hewitt isnt as bad a jerk as some others though.

TennisD
07-21-2005, 09:55 AM
I was hoping for Manu Ginobli to not only help San Antonio win the NBA finals, which he did, but after the first 2 games, I was hoping he would win the playoff MVP. He didnt play as well in the middle games, and Tim Duncan won it in the end, but San Antonio won which I was glad about, they are my favorite team. He has proven he is one of the emerging stars of the game now, I am a big fan of him, I like watching him play alot, and he seems like a really nice person. I am Canadian by the way.
What does that have to do with Hewitt?

federerhoogenbandfan
07-21-2005, 10:19 AM
Sorry I think I posted this on the wrong board. LOL! I am doing alot of things at once while I am online.

TennisD
07-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Ahhhh, I see. It's cool, hahah

Andres
07-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Well I haven't read all 5 pages of this thread but for what its worth, Nadal's song and dance and flying come-on fist pumps after every freaking point are a million times more annoying than anything Hewitt's done, yet for some reason that gets completely overlooked and Nadal is a darling.

Nadal works his *** out for every point. He pumps fists on HIS POINTS, well earned. Hewitt simply cheers his opponent's error.

I don't like Nadal's attitude too. Too "hyped". I like a normal, introspective and quiet cheer.

Type40
07-21-2005, 09:11 PM
McEnroe was far worse.

jukka1970
07-21-2005, 09:49 PM
I always have felt Hewitt was a bit brutal on court, but I'm not going to put all the blame on him either for one match. Coria is just as much of a hot head. Throw 2 wild dogs into a cage, and well, you get the point from the image.

The thread also spread into doping. Personally I find the comment unfair that just because 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 etc have done it, then the whole nation has done it, which is absurd. This issue has been visited in the olympics quite often, and the same unfair comment has come up in olympics. The US got this comment after some swimmers and runners tested positive. Germany and Russia also have been no stranger to this comment. But the important thing is that the sports are doing their best to combat this problem. Unfortunately in some ways, they've gone a bit to the extreme, where medications are involved. But here is my feeling on that. If the athlete, would check with the organization first on any medication they are taking, then this part of the problem would go away. The player must be responsible for whatever they put into his or her own body. Yes the medical staff should take some responsibility, but in the end the player needs to do the work.

littlelleyton
07-22-2005, 02:52 AM
Nadal works his *** out for every point. He pumps fists on HIS POINTS, well earned. Hewitt simply cheers his opponent's error.

I don't like Nadal's attitude too. Too "hyped". I like a normal, introspective and quiet cheer.

im sorry but how can you define "NORMAL" every player has there own brand of attitude, some quiet, some excitable, some over the top. if everyone was "NORMAL" how boring would life be??? all dressed the same and have no opinions of their own, not able to express themselves, bascially a clone. tennis is a passion, people get emotionally involved in games. feelings flood over and this is what brings out the best in some players.
by the way introspective isnt "NORMAL" there are as many extroverted people out the the big world as intropective people.
can i ask what player you like? whatever player that is how would you feel if they won wimbledon and started jumping about crying or something like that? would you no longer like them because of this display of hyped attitude? emotion is part of the game, its these guys life. if they are the type of people that show emotion on the court then, please, SO WHAT! is it the end off the world, no, does it make them bad people, NO. do they deserve to be critised, maybe sometimes. are they harming anyone, NO.
get off these guys back and enjoy the tennis they play. if you think you can do better then go out and give me somethign better to watch.

RafaN RichardG
07-22-2005, 05:14 AM
...get off these guys back and enjoy the tennis they play.

i was typing the exact same phrase as i was reading your post, until i saw it had already been written.^^

everyone needs to stop analyzing every move a player makes. since when is celebration a crime? did anyone ever stop to think he yells when people make an error because he worked hard for the point?

its really getting annoying to see these ppl acting like lil babies. "hewitt's a jerk" gimme a break- hewitt wont change i think its about time to get over it.

if every player on tour was a stuck up, a-s-s kissing, "classy", non choker, never made excuses and always gave his credit to the other player(in win or loss), never made a sound on court, and only celebrated after winning a grand slam to your approval(i.e. not jumping as someome was criticized for at wim 2005), then i guess itd make everyone here happy- unfortunately(or should i say forutnately) its not like that.
so now you can stop doing this-> :( , everytime someone makes you mad or gains your dissaproval.

equinox
07-22-2005, 05:57 AM
I am not basing this on one match. What about AO (this year), the match against blake in 2001, and the past weekend's Davis Cup. If you lookback at all those events then you will see he is just a lil kid with a BIG MOUTH. He has shown how dumb and irresponsible he is. Sure he plays great tennis but he should not be idolized for his behavior. I am not trying to start something but this guy brings shame to a great sport. Yes I know Coria is a brat all on his own. I have read about him being a jerk. Yet I have never heard of him being a biggot or being anti-***. Even if he is both he knows to keep his mouth shut!

He's not that bad.

Compared to your average trashing talking american basketballer / gang banger rapper / NY banker he's a saint.

I'm suprised the argy bargys didn't show up high from smoking the grass court during practise session.

Guillote
07-22-2005, 06:19 AM
IMO, I think Hewitt would still do it in Argentina. I mean Hewitt has no reason to fear the Argies, and I'm sure he'll want to make up for his loss to Nalbandian. Lleyton never is conscious about his antics unless he's up against someone who has been owning him(Federer), and I fully expect him next time against the Argies to still do the "c'mons". I would not miss another matchup between Hewitt and Coria either, Rabbit.

In last Australia vs Argentina in 2002, Argentina won 5-0... Hewitt didn't come. And if I remember well, he was number 1 that year.

I'm sure he wouldn't dare to scream at all here at Buenos Aires. I would bet on that :)

Here are the 2002 matches:

Argentina vs. Australia
at Buenos Aires
(Argentina wins, 5-0)

Friday's Singles
Guillermo Canas, Argentina, def. Scott Draper, Australia
Gaston Gaudio, Argentina, def. Andrew Ilie, Australia

Saturday's Doubles
Guillermo Canas/Lucas Arnold, Argentina, def. Wayne Arthurs/Todd Woodbridge, Australia

Sunday's Singles
Juan-Ignacio Chela, Argentina, def. Andrew Ilie, Australia
Gaston Gaudio, Argentina, def. Scott Draper, Australia

Greetings everyone

littlelleyton
07-22-2005, 06:38 AM
i was typing the exact same phrase as i was reading your post, until i saw it had already been written.^^

everyone needs to stop analyzing every move a player makes. since when is celebration a crime? did anyone ever stop to think he yells when people make an error because he worked hard for the point?

its really getting annoying to see these ppl acting like lil babies. "hewitt's a jerk" gimme a break- hewitt wont change i think its about time to get over it.

if every player on tour was a stuck up, a-s-s kissing, "classy", non choker, never made excuses and always gave his credit to the other player(in win or loss), never made a sound on court, and only celebrated after winning a grand slam to your approval(i.e. not jumping as someome was criticized for at wim 2005), then i guess itd make everyone here happy- unfortunately(or should i say forutnately) its not like that.
so now you can stop doing this-> :( , everytime someone makes you mad or gains your dissaproval.

here here .....

Guillote
07-22-2005, 06:56 AM
Don't go over to the extremes... you can't ask a player to be completely silent, but in the other hand you can't allow Coria and Hewitt's behaviour on friday's match either.

Now really a question... what did Hewitt scream to Coria (really loud) after winning his service (don't remember if winner service or ace)... the point after Coria had smashed his back? was it f..k you? You can't allow that in any way... The umpire should have warned him on that for sure...

Nadal screams really bad raising his fist, in my opinion a total lack of sportsmanship... but at least he doesn't insult the other player.