PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder problems

ejch8456
04-29-2004, 06:49 PM
I have had a history of shoulder problems. I have switched rackets do to the problem, yet i still face the same problems. I have one of the most flexible rackets on the market an I prestige mid. Can someone tell me what might be the problem?

James Brown
04-29-2004, 10:21 PM
stiffness isnt gonna mess your shoulder up. Poor technique and weak muscles will however. As will poor posture, I had just about the worst posture you'd ever see and that wrecked my shoulder. I've worked on imrpoving it and ive noticed that as my posture has improved, so has my shoulder health :> I kept off it for a month and worked it out/got physio for another month. Now it seems fine, my bicep is screwed up though :>

Simbah2004
05-04-2004, 08:05 PM
Have a sports physician have a look at your shoulder. Better safe than sorrow.

SamBruin
05-06-2004, 02:50 AM
Hey that pic looks familiar.. Do you play for USC because I think I saw you play against Cal a few weeks ago.
Anyways, I have shoulder problems too and here's what I do to manage the pain:
Use gut string, string at lower tensions, warm up and stretch before playing, serve only kick and slice, work out, ice after a match or practicing serves, take advil, and use ben-gay.
It's alot to do but it allows me to play competitively again ever since I blew out my shoulder hitting a hard, flat serve without warming up. Stupid me.

netman
05-08-2004, 04:19 AM
Unless you experience a catastophic event, shoulder problems tend to arise from cumulative injuries, i.e. lots of small traumas that add up over time. As Simbah2004 said, have a physician check it out. Usually, taking some time off to let it heal, then implementing a strengthening routine for the small muscles around the joint can do wonders. If it is injuried, trying to do exercises, before you let it heal will just make it worse, as you are still applying stress to an injured muscle/ligament/tendon.

Unfortunately, sometimes rest and no activity is the best cure. The shoulder joint is a marvelous piece of complex engineering, a suspension system held together by muscles and connective tissue. Ignore pain in it long enough when it is injured and it will fail, often got spectacularly as SamBruin experienced.

Simbah2004
05-09-2004, 07:57 PM
I had shoulder pain and kept playing for months until I could not take the pain anymore. Went to the doctor and typing combined with tennis was overloading my rotator cuff. Both my shoulders were bothering me a great deal. Resting was not enough to cure it - now I'm taking anti-imflamatories and doing physiotherapy. It's not serious, but it's extremely uncomfortable. Don't get sucked into playing in pain, see a doctor and develop specific exercises - that is if you want to play until you're 80.