PDA

View Full Version : How IG Prestige Mid feels?

maxpotapov
01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I will collect all the quotes from IG Prestige Mid reviews regarding feel.
Just tell me how it feels (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=405903)...

maxpotapov
01-10-2012, 01:04 AM
From http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Vlogpage.html?ccode=VLOG260
Really liked this racquet, almost switched to this one. It really does feel like the old Prestige Classic 600. Had them side by side and it's about as close as you can get to those classic Austrian-made Head Prestiges.

maxpotapov
01-10-2012, 01:07 AM
From http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/HYIGPM/HYIGPMReview.html
Upside: Has that Prestige mystique
While recent iterations of the Head Prestige Mid have struggled to replicate the performance of the venerable Prestige Classic 600, the all-new Youtek IG Prestige Mid has it nailed. The silky smooth response from the stringbed is back. The sweetspot feels livelier and more forgiving, and the response is plusher than the Youtek Prestige Mid
The Prestige is back! This is the Prestige Mid I've been waiting for. A racquet that plays much closer to the original, and offers that plush and silky smooth feel that, for me, defines a Prestige -- and what I thought was lacking in the previous version. I loved the solid feel, power and absolute precision offered from this racquet. It was my favorite of the four new Prestige racquets for just hitting.

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-10-2012, 05:41 AM
From http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Reviews/HYIGPM/HYIGPMReview.html

It's not back at all, when I hit with that racquet I made sure to bring my spear Ipretige mid, even though they had different strings in NO WAY this new Prestige mid feels like a classic nor IPrestige, these 2 are the best racquets head ever made.

The new prestige feels just like the last one, brassy (if I can use this term), unforgiving, not soft, hollow. I didn't like it at all. They're BSing people with the review.

maxpotapov
01-10-2012, 07:02 PM
From http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_IG_Prestige_Mid/descpageRCHEAD-HYIGPM.html
Head offers up a Prestige for the ages in this IG update. Providing a plusher feel and a larger feeling sweetspot than the previous Youtek version, this one delves deep into the magic that has made the Prestige Mid a go to racquet for advanced level players since the late 1980s.

maxpotapov
01-11-2012, 01:57 AM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6220860#post6220860
The IG models all seem to have larger sweet spots than their YOUTEK counterparts... The Radicals and Prestiges have incredibly feeling sweet spots that is when you strike it dead center. When getting a good crack at the ball and making contact on the sweet spot, you realize why HEAD racquet are so popular on the tour. It is an incredible sensation as you see the ball rocket to a target and at the same time feel the shaft of your racquet flex. The sweet spot's lushness is lost more and more the further you move out... a center that is capable of cradling and launching the ball like a catapult, I mean the "slinging sensation" you get with HEAD racquets and the Radicals in particular.

AdAraujo
01-11-2012, 05:42 AM
If you want a 1980's racquet buy one...

Maybe playtesters were saying that it has the same feel but, according to modern sticks.

I'm pretty sure the Prestige will be always the Prestige, it won't feel like 1980's or 1990's versions because materials have changed. But they will still be good damned racquets.

maxpotapov
01-11-2012, 05:54 AM
I would, it's just too damn expensive ;)
Nothing can replace the feel of pure graphite, but modern game requires more powerful frames. If Head manages to recreate that "Prestige mystique" in a modern frame, then we have best of both worlds.
And it's a big "if"...

chizzle
01-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Nothing can replace the feel of pure graphite, but modern game requires more powerful frames. If Head manages to recreate that "Prestige mystique" in a modern frame, then we have best of both worlds.
And it's a big "if"...

I think he was talking to the other dude who thinks it feels brassy...

vsbabolat
01-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Maybe playtesters were saying that it has the same feel but, according to modern sticks.

I'm pretty sure the Prestige will be always the Prestige, it won't feel like 1980's or 1990's versions because materials have changed. But they will still be good damned racquets.

That's not really true. They still make the Prestige Classic 600 for the "Pro Room". It still feels and plays just like it did all those years ago.

maxpotapov
01-11-2012, 11:24 AM
That's not really true. They still make the Prestige Classic 600 for the "Pro Room". It still feels and plays just like it did all those years ago.

But not in Austria any more, as I recall from earlier discussions. That's why I took notice of Chris's remark,
it's about as close as you can get to those classic Austrian-made Head Prestiges
Austrian, really?..

vsbabolat
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
But not in Austria any more, as I recall from earlier discussions. That's why I took notice of Chris's remark,

Austrian, really?..

The Prestige Classic 600 that is still made for the "Pro Room" is still made in Austria. The MG, YT, and IG Prestige is made in China.

stronzzi70
01-11-2012, 02:56 PM
VS Babolat,,,,Sorry can you tell me more about the Yonex V core 98...I Know you were hitting with it...

Smasher08
01-11-2012, 03:25 PM
I'd love to hear a detailed comparison with the MGPM.

ultradr
01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I like this thread. For some reason, it is the most important reason for me
to play tennis is to feel how sweet spot feels. :)

Anyway, although prestige lines are generally solid feel, it always had a bit
of that Head signature feel of somewhat brassy and (touch) hollowness.

I like the feel of old yonex/prince frames. If Prestige has that feel, it would
be really nice.

vsbabolat
01-11-2012, 06:57 PM
I like this thread. For some reason, it is the most important reason for me
to play tennis is to feel how sweet spot feels. :)

Anyway, although prestige lines are generally solid feel, it always had a bit
of that Head signature feel of somewhat brassy and (touch) hollowness.

I like the feel of old yonex/prince frames. If Prestige has that feel, it would
be really nice.

The Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600 and i.Prestige was not brassy and had no hollowness. Hitting with the Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600 is as smooth as velvet and very muted. No vibration what so ever not at all brassy. It is the crap that came after that is brassy especially the YT Prestige is very brassy.

vsbabolat
01-11-2012, 07:02 PM
VS Babolat,,,,Sorry can you tell me more about the Yonex V core 98...I Know you were hitting with it...

I hit with it last spring. Had a good size sweet spot was crisp and muted no vibration. The is number one thing I look for in a new racquet that I am testing is what is the story on the vibration because I don't use a dampener. So having a muted feel is something I look for. Especially in my formative years playing with the Max200G and then Prestige Pro. So I am very sensitive to vibration and that Brassy feel.

stronzzi70
01-11-2012, 07:40 PM
I didnīt use it dampener also,,,but this V core 98 has a very low SW, for this reason not sure about it.

ZeroSkid
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
‎"You have your wife, you have your kids, and you have Prestige" - Goran Ivanisevic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BIxi2AhD1FU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtNp8TQ_JCs&feature=related

eleventeenth street
01-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I hit with it last spring. Had a good size sweet spot was crisp and muted no vibration. The is number one thing I look for in a new racquet that I am testing is what is the story on the vibration because I don't use a dampener. So having a muted feel is something I look for. Especially in my formative years playing with the Max200G and then Prestige Pro. So I am very sensitive to vibration and that Brassy feel.

i'm exactly the same way about feel and vibration. never use dampeners either

ultradr
01-12-2012, 02:00 PM
The Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600 and i.Prestige was not brassy and had no hollowness. Hitting with the Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600 is as smooth as velvet and very muted. No vibration what so ever not at all brassy. It is the crap that came after that is brassy especially the YT Prestige is very brassy.

My experience with YT and FXP prestige was not too much brassy (just touch brassy) compared to
radicals of that time and olde premier 630 in 90's, I thought.

anyway, my favorite is yonex's players frames of 90's. there was vibration but
felt good. had to leave yonex because it was too boring.

vsbabolat
01-12-2012, 05:02 PM
My experience with YT and FXP prestige was not too much brassy (just touch brassy) compared to
radicals of that time and olde premier 630 in 90's, I thought.

anyway, my favorite is yonex's players frames of 90's. there was vibration but
felt good. had to leave yonex because it was too boring.

No offensive but the Premier Tour 600 was a piece of garbage. It was a taste of what was to come.

TennisMaverick
01-12-2012, 05:29 PM
And it's a big "if"...

Hey Max!

With your game style and level of play, why would you want to mess around with such a small headed frame which is designed more for longitudinal strokes rather than rotational strokes, not to mention the closed string pattern?

maxpotapov
01-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Hey Max!

With your game style and level of play, why would you want to mess around with such a small headed frame which is designed more for longitudinal strokes rather than rotational strokes, not to mention the closed string pattern?

Hey TM,
That's a very good question. Currently I'm using Head Prestige Tour 600 and LM Prestige Mid, occasionally switching to a bigger headed frame, Dunlop MW 95 and Head Satellite Tour MP (102 sq in) just to experiment with my technique. I'm coming back to Prestige Mid, because it's easier for me to turn smaller racquet head around the ball, even though I would prefer more open string pattern (I'm trying to offset this with lower tension and poly with a bite in the mains, currently 48 lbs Poly Star Turbo). Plus i started to compress the ball so much more on my forehand, like you suggested long time ago ;)

My other option is Wilson BLX90, but I find it a bit lackluster in my hand compared to Prestige Mid. And above all, this is classic graphite Prestige feel and sound I'm looking for and this is why I was looking at London Tour. If IG Prestige Mid can provide me that plus bigger sweetspot, I will stick with Prestige Mid line and further build my technique around it.

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 03:29 AM
Hey TM,
That's a very good question. Currently I'm using Head Prestige Tour 600 and LM Prestige Mid, occasionally switching to a bigger headed frame, Dunlop MW 95 and Head Satellite Tour MP (102 sq in) just to experiment with my technique. I'm coming back to Prestige Mid, because it's easier for me to turn smaller racquet head around the ball, even though I would prefer more open string pattern (I'm trying to offset this with lower tension and poly with a bite in the mains, currently 48 lbs Poly Star Turbo). Plus i started to compress the ball so much more on my forehand, like you suggested long time ago ;)

My other option is Wilson BLX90, but I find it a bit lackluster in my hand compared to Prestige Mid. And above all, this is classic graphite Prestige feel and sound I'm looking for and this is why I was looking at London Tour. If IG Prestige Mid can provide me that plus bigger sweetspot, I will stick with Prestige Mid line and further build my technique around it.

I really liked the original Prestige, but coming from an egg shaped head, I couldn't make the adjustment. The London Tour plays close to the original Prestige, and I have mine leaded to 370 grams, making is that much closer, and which is 20-25 grams less than anything which I have used in 40 years. Yet, it's not perfect. I prefer the sticks heft in the shoulders, whereas the Tour's is at 3/9. Thus, I have made the adjustment with the customization. The Prestige's heft is a little higher, around 2/10, so it's too tough to customize it feel what I am looking for as I swing through the air and contact the ball. However, you can easily take the Tour and move it's heft up a little higher. You should give it a shot.

maxpotapov
01-13-2012, 05:37 AM
I really liked the original Prestige, but coming from an egg shaped head, I couldn't make the adjustment. The London Tour plays close to the original Prestige, and I have mine leaded to 370 grams, making is that much closer, and which is 20-25 grams less than anything which I have used in 40 years. Yet, it's not perfect. I prefer the sticks heft in the shoulders, whereas the Tour's is at 3/9. Thus, I have made the adjustment with the customization. The Prestige's heft is a little higher, around 2/10, so it's too tough to customize it feel what I am looking for as I swing through the air and contact the ball. However, you can easily take the Tour and move it's heft up a little higher. You should give it a shot.

I would, I'm just trying to avoid lead in my house in any amount, as my 2 y.o. daughter likes to play with my racquets more than with Teddy bears. And without customization London Tour would not be that stable and its sweet zone is fairly small from what I can gather from numerous reviews. So, I hope I can settle with something that's good in stock form for now.

vsbabolat
01-13-2012, 07:03 AM
I would, I'm just trying to avoid lead in my house in any amount, as my 2 y.o. daughter likes to play with my racquets more than with Teddy bears. And without customization London Tour would not be that stable and its sweet zone is fairly small from what I can gather from numerous reviews. So, I hope I can settle with something that's good in stock form for now.

You can put the lead under the grommets and under the grip. She will never get to it. Also I have hit with the London Tour only in stock form and was very impressed with power and size of the sweet spot. It is worth a try or the IG Prestige Mid that I am waiting for any day now. Look for a in depth review when I get it.

sargeinaz
01-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Looking forward to that review VS. My cousin is waiting to test out the IG prestige mid as well.

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 01:38 PM

I switched from the PB 10 Mid, which sweet spot is massive, to the London Tour, so anyone who says that the Tour's sweet spot is small, is on drugs. I know a few Future's players who are using the frame, and have added only 2-4 grams in total. So stock or near stock, they can't be that unstable if these guys can deal with it. Mine are very light for me, but I only weighted them up because I need a heavier frame to overcome the incoming ball of my players, who are all still competing, and anywhere from 25-35 years younger than I. Otherwise, if I were to play with the guys I grew-up with, who hit a far lighter ball, I would be using the frame near stock. Maybe.

maxpotapov
01-20-2012, 12:46 AM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6245332#post6245332
It is the best Prestige Mid since the i.Prestige Mid. It is very muted and feels nothing like the YT Prestige Mid. The IG Prestige Mid feels like a classic racquet. Closest to the Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600.

JT_2eighty
01-20-2012, 10:24 AM
... to the London Tour, so anyone who says that the Tour's sweet spot is small, is on drugs. I know a few Future's players who are using the frame, and have added only 2-4 grams in total. So stock or near stock, they can't be that unstable if these guys can deal with it. Mine are very light for me, but I only weighted them up because I need a heavier frame to overcome the incoming ball of my players, who are all still competing, and anywhere from 25-35 years younger than I. Otherwise, if I were to play with the guys I grew-up with, who hit a far lighter ball, I would be using the frame near stock. Maybe.

Although I'm not a long-time "prestige classic" user, I am a long-time 'pro tour 280' user, which from my stints with the prestige classic & tour, also has that old-school, amazing feel that some people are seeking in modern frames, to little avail.

Well, point is I finally got around to picking up a used London Tour 93, and strung it exactly as I do my PT280s... Initially (just one set so far), it is as close to the old, velvety feel, and I agree, the sweetspot is not as 'tiny' as people have reviewed it to be. I'm going to use it more this weekend, and having already tried the YT prestiges, I have a feeling the "IG" tech is not going to magically bring back the velvet feel that some of us are looking for. As of now, the closest modern frame with old-school feel, to me, is this London Tour. The flex on impact, and the ability to carve my shots like the old PT280 was very nice. Being a lighter package to the old PT's is a huge plus for my aging game as well.

(sorry for the derail!)

maxpotapov
01-20-2012, 09:37 PM
Although I'm not a long-time "prestige classic" user, I am a long-time 'pro tour 280' user, which from my stints with the prestige classic & tour, also has that old-school, amazing feel that some people are seeking in modern frames, to little avail.

Well, point is I finally got around to picking up a used London Tour 93, and strung it exactly as I do my PT280s... Initially (just one set so far), it is as close to the old, velvety feel, and I agree, the sweetspot is not as 'tiny' as people have reviewed it to be. I'm going to use it more this weekend, and having already tried the YT prestiges, I have a feeling the "IG" tech is not going to magically bring back the velvet feel that some of us are looking for. As of now, the closest modern frame with old-school feel, to me, is this London Tour. The flex on impact, and the ability to carve my shots like the old PT280 was very nice. Being a lighter package to the old PT's is a huge plus for my aging game as well.

(sorry for the derail!)

Please share your impressions when you try London Tour some more. It's that classic velvet feel I'm after, not particular brand. Besides, I like flex rating 55 a little bit more than 63, my only concern is considerable drop of power in the upper part of London Tour stringbed, that some reviewers noticed. But maybe they exaggerated the problem like they did with sweetspot, and there's nothing you can't fix with duct tape (I mean, lead)

maxpotapov
01-20-2012, 09:40 PM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409542&page=3
These Prestiges are legit. Silkier in feel than the YT versions and from what I remember, bigger sweet spot. As for the MP version, it felt to me like it thumped the ball a bit more heavily than the YT version. And the Mid... oh boy, the Mid is sweet. I used to play with the YT Mid. This IG is pure butter, felt easier to get around, sweet spot was delicious. Head did well with this update.

TennisMaverick
01-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Please share your impressions when you try London Tour some more. It's that classic velvet feel I'm after, not particular brand. Besides, I like flex rating 55 a little bit more than 63, my only concern is considerable drop of power in the upper part of London Tour stringbed, that some reviewers noticed. But maybe they exaggerated the problem like they did with sweetspot, and there's nothing you can't fix with duct tape (I mean, lead)

If they are posting somewhere that the London Tour is a 63 flex rating, then their diagnostic machine needs some serious calibration.

And adding as little as one or two layers of 1/2 in wide white athletic tape 4 inches long, fixes the "so-called" loss of power issue. I personally have never felt that, even with stretch volleys, but my sticks are weighted/balanced to my personal specs, so those specs obviously fixes that "so-called" issue, besides the fact that I consistently use the sweet spot to contact the ball, and not the rest of the string bed, which although I paid for, I prefer not to use.

maxpotapov
01-20-2012, 10:46 PM
besides the fact that I consistently use the sweet spot to contact the ball, and not the rest of the string bed, which although I paid for, I prefer not to use.

flex 63 - I meant IG Mid
I tend to use more of my string bed estate, especially in the upper part of sweet zone, trying to brush the ball diagonally (more like a side spin).

TennisMaverick
01-20-2012, 11:28 PM
....I finally got around to picking up a used London Tour 93, and strung it exactly as I do my PT280s... Initially (just one set so far), it is as close to the old, velvety feel, and I agree, the sweetspot is not as 'tiny' as people have reviewed it to be...As of now, the closest modern frame with old-school feel, to me, is this London Tour. The flex on impact, and the ability to carve my shots like the old PT280 was very nice. Being a lighter package to the old PT's is a huge plus for my aging game as well.

Very cool! Keep us apprised.

maxpotapov
01-21-2012, 06:02 AM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409542&page=4
the feel of the frame was, as VsBabolat said, like home. Hugely plush.

bad_call
01-21-2012, 06:09 AM
quite possibly IG Prestige is waiting for my demo. :)

maxpotapov
01-21-2012, 06:17 AM
quite possibly IG Prestige is waiting for my demo. :)

Yes I'm waiting to hear more critical views, none that I found so far... :confused:

maxpotapov
01-25-2012, 12:31 AM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6266708#post6266708
Regarding vibrations Vs was talking about, I had some with the MP but they were completely cured by a dampener. The Mid was so smooth, though, it didn't even need a dampener.

maxpotapov
01-26-2012, 12:26 AM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=409542&page=7
The IG Prestige Mid is the best Prestige Mid since the i.Prestige Mid. I think I like the IG Prestige Mid more than the i.Prestige Mid. The IG Prestige has a very generous sweet spot, great stability, and wonderful velvety smooth plush feel.

The IG Prestige in a nut shell is a crisper feel with more Pop Prestige Classic 600.

maxpotapov
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
From http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6275489#post6275489
I'm actually coming from the PSL/PSLGT.

It plays firmer and plusher. Much more solid overall. I feel like my BH on the Mid requires less perfection actually. Footwork is still a key, but that never changes. I'd tend to agree that it seems to have a very generous sweetspot. A buddy who is also demo'ing with had the exact same comment as well (large sweetspot), so that appears to be a trend.

RacketFever
01-26-2012, 10:49 PM
How does the mid respond on off center shots?

tt2003
02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
just buy POG or Pro staff 85, modern racquet has no traditional feel.

parasailing
02-04-2012, 07:56 PM
I hit with the Prestige Mid IG today and though it feels a bit better than the Youtek Prestige Mid being a bit more solid, it still had some harshness to it especially if you hit outside the center sweetspot.

I guess I don't have the game to hit with this particular stuck but glad I had a chance to demo it.

skeeter
02-04-2012, 08:10 PM
I hit with the Prestige Mid IG today and though it feels a bit better than the Youtek Prestige Mid being a bit more solid, it still had some harshness to it especially if you hit outside the center sweetspot.

I guess I don't have the game to hit with this particular stuck but glad I had a chance to demo it.

Have you tried the IG Mid-plus yet? Thought I recall you stating that you were going to give both a demo. I found the MP a bit more forgiving and easier to wield than the Mid.