PDA

View Full Version : Hewitt's Remark Prompts Reaction From *** Rights Group

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 08:22 AM
Lleyton Hewitt's remark apparently directed at the chair umpire during last weekend's Davis Cup defeat to Argentina has offended an Australian *** rights group that has called on Hewitt to apologize. The offensive remark was made after Portuguese chair umpire Carlos Ramos ruled a Hewitt shot was out during Australia's loss to Argentina in the Davis Cup quarterfinals at the Sydney Tennis Centre.

An angry Hewitt allegedly pointed at Ramos and yelled "Who is this poof?" to referee Norbert Peick. A "poof" is a slang slur in Australia used to demean ****sexuals. Hewitt denied saying the the word, but video replays confirmed he did yell "Who is this poof?" according to a published report in The Herald Sun written by Jacqueline Freegard.

The Victorian *** and Lesbian Rights Lobby criticized Hewitt for using the word and called for an apology.

"Whilst we understand the tension in this match and in other sporting events, reverting to this sort of unnecessary and vile name calling is entirely inappropriate," Victorian *** and Lesbian Rights spokesman Pete Dillon told The Herald Sun.

http://www.sportsmediainc.com/tennisweek/index.cfm?func=showarticle&newsid=13388&bannerregion=

Tchocky
07-18-2005, 08:25 AM
What's with the asterisks?

FedererUberAlles
07-18-2005, 08:31 AM
g-a-y..........

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 08:34 AM
I didn't put the asterisks in, apparently Tennis Warehouse considers g-a-y & h-o-mo-sexual to be offensive language.

I've learned a lot of international slurs I've never heard of by watching pro tennis(poof, wa----, etc.)

Pushmaster
07-18-2005, 08:39 AM
What would you expect from a big mouth @$$hole like Hewitt? He's already proved himself to be racist, so I'm not surprised he's a ****phobic as well. One of these days somebody is going to kick that punks ugly Klingon face in.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 08:48 AM
Bah, people take themselves too seriously sometimes, christ...

Detonator123
07-18-2005, 08:53 AM
Who cares if he was making fun of *** people

zAllianceBmx
07-18-2005, 08:53 AM
i agree tennisd

TennisD
07-18-2005, 08:58 AM
It's just like certain minority groups. I'm no rascist, but as soon as someone opens their mouth, certain people just call "RASCISM!" on any little thing...

Ronaldo
07-18-2005, 09:08 AM
Hewitt and Coria were in rare form during that 1st Davis Cup singles match. Vish this

tennissavy
07-18-2005, 09:09 AM
It's just like certain minority groups. I'm no rascist, but as soon as someone opens their mouth, certain people just call "RASCISM!" on any little thing...
The word is RACISM not rascism. I don't thing Hewitt is a racist because he alleged that a black linesman was giving Blake favorable calls. He didn't use a racist slur and it appeared to me that the linesman was giving Blake "freebies" too. However, using the word poof is crossing the line. He is now an official h o mo phobe like Ivanisevic.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 09:14 AM
The word is RACISM not rascism. I don't thing Hewitt is a racist because he alleged that a black linesman was giving Blake favorable calls. He didn't use a racist slur and it appeared to me that the linesman was giving Blake "freebies" too. However, using the word poof is crossing the line. He is now an official h o mo phobe like Ivanisevic.
Yes, I can't spell. I'm too tired to care though...

You think the word "poof" denotes him as a ****phobe? I'm sorry, but no...

Grimjack
07-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Who cares if he was making fun of *** people

*** people do, it would seem.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 09:19 AM
Yes, one would think that would be evident...

Lakoste
07-18-2005, 09:20 AM

actually poof in the dictionary is "Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate or ****sexual male." so yea saying it does denote him a s a ****phobe

its like calling a black person the n word

TennisD
07-18-2005, 09:29 AM
actually poof in the dictionary is "Used as a disparaging term for an effeminate or ****sexual male." so yea saying it does denote him a s a ****phobe

Uh huh, but then again, who's to say what context it was used in? Also, if someone utters a word, it doesn't necessarily mean that he or she meant it, or hates a certain group of people...christ...

gts072
07-18-2005, 10:04 AM
But you have to admit how "humble" Hewitt becomes when Fed beats the crap out of him every match they play on court.

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 10:21 AM
agassi called the unpire a F***ing F*g (much worse than poof) in davis cup, i guess ppl are selective when topics like these come up.

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 10:40 AM
Ohh that's right. THAT's why I didn't like Hewitt. I had forgotten. Ever since the Blake incident, I never liked Hewitt. That's right.

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 10:40 AM
agassi called the unpire a F***ing F*g (much worse than poof) in davis cup, i guess ppl are selective when topics like these come up.

When did that happen?

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 11:39 AM
When did that happen?

last year vs spain

every player has their methods to disrupt the opponent, hewitt just chooses an in ur face style. u think connors really wanted to talk to the fans? or was he just catching his breath.

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 11:48 AM
F** was indeed one of Agassi's favorite words in the early to mid 90s. But he didn't play in the Davis Cup Final vs. Spain last year.

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 11:53 AM
when did he say it then? the ljubicic match this year?

tricky nicky
07-18-2005, 11:58 AM
look pofs not too bad.....is it?

he could have called him.....a sausage jockey.....a shirt lifter.......a fudge packer.a dirt burglar. a batty rider.***lord...queer.......***...... etc

look at the abuse hewitt gets on these boards over no prize money.I think he should be forgiven a slicght slip of the tongue

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
I can't remember when he said that(I'm sure it was many times, though earlier in his career)

Vs Ljubcic he said "So now you're a f------ tennis expert" when the umpire ruled he didn't have a play on a ball that he overruled in Ljubcic's favor.

Chadwixx
07-18-2005, 12:01 PM
nono this was within the last year, i remember posting here about it when it happend. it was even broadcasted on espn without the censor. he said it directly to the umpire.

Kevin Patrick
07-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Well, I don't know what match you're referring to, but it wasn't the Ljubcic Davis Cup match. Do a message board search if you don't believe me. I described exactly what Agassi said in that match.

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Yeah, Agassi came back from a five year absence from the Davis Cup this year. So it couldn't have been a Davis Cup.

divito
07-18-2005, 12:45 PM
People cry too much over nothing. It's a word, if you can't handle someone saying a word you shouldn't exist. People have the choice when to be offended so choose not to, it is simple.

POGO
07-18-2005, 12:58 PM
Hewitt is a Punk with a big mouth. This won't be the last of him making an arse of himself. Remeber the Blake incident?

Alexaggie
07-18-2005, 01:01 PM
People also use incidents like these to show others how "sensitive and progressive" they are by being offended by little things. Go out and boo Hewitt if you like, but quit whining to everyone else.

gugafanatic
07-18-2005, 02:22 PM

I think you are clearly wrong as Hewitts comments during the Blake match were clearly politically incorrect.

"Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is.

"You put him off the court, get him off the court."

These comments are clearly racially motivated. However perhaps due to heat of the moment, Blake give him the benefit of the doubt. Lleyton has always been a tough competitor with a big mouth, he needs to stop ******* his opponents off.

Yours!05
07-18-2005, 02:57 PM
It's only one of our unusual and colourful terms of endearment. Said to a mate in a pub when a drink without hops in it appears: Whatareya? A bloody poofta?

(just to add nothing to the debate;))

Haka Boy
07-18-2005, 03:23 PM
It's only one of our unusual and colourful terms of endearment. Said to a mate in a pub when a drink without hops in it appears: Whatareya? A bloody poofta?

(just to add nothing to the debate;))

I agree with you that it can be a term of endearment in australian slang terms BUT when its said in the heat of an argument its not.

AAAA
07-18-2005, 05:20 PM
If he did say it then the possible freudian slip is not much different to the guys around here who won't wear short shorts because they write it's 'kinda gai' or those who express negative comments about pedal-pusher capri-pants.

Serving155
07-18-2005, 05:37 PM
who cares? they are g-a-y. Go Hewitt! I personally don't care what g.a.y.s or lesbians do. I have a problem when they try to change our definition of marriage. As long as the twisted ppl don't mess with the sanctity of marriage and family, Im cool.

PistolPete
07-18-2005, 05:49 PM

I'm not ***, but since when is *** or lesbian a race.

EDIT:
And since when is g-a-y not allowed to be written.

AndrewD
07-18-2005, 05:56 PM
If he did say it then the possible freudian slip is not much different to the guys around here who won't wear short shorts because they write it's 'kinda gai' or those who express negative comments about pedal-pusher capri-pants.

Although I dislike Hewitt and the way he carries on during a match I agree completely. I've read far more racist, h-om-ophobic and s-exist statements on this message board than I've ever heard during a Hewitt match. If we've never said anything remotely similar then we should feel free to give him a hard time. If we have then, remember what they say about people in glass houses?

I'm definately not looking to defend Hewitt because, as I said, I don't like the bloke's style. However, I do think he has very little concept, when he uses certain words, of what they mean to a wider audience. Have a good look at his coach, Roger Rasheed or his best friend and sporting idol Andrew McLeod and you'll see that neither one of them is caucasian. So, when he makes a remark that is considered racist do we really think, given his associations, that he is genuinely racist? Lleyton, when he gets wound up, just doesn't connect the dots regarding the things he says. He's definately not alone there and, having been a linesman for a dozen years, I can state categorically, that he is nowhere near the worst. Jim Courier, for all his good points, is still prone to doing the same thing as could be seen at this year's Australian Open when he called one of the female broadcasters 'eye candy'. That is unbelievably dumb, especially given that it's a comment made not in the heat of battle but when he had all the time in the world to say nothing at all. Still, I wouldn't necessarily say he's s-ex-ist, just that he's as prone as many to making comments when he hasn't allowed his brain to engage with his mouth a' la' Hewitt.

FedererUberAlles
07-18-2005, 06:15 PM
who cares? they are g-a-y. Go Hewitt! I personally don't care what g.a.y.s or lesbians do. I have a problem when they try to change our definition of marriage. As long as the twisted ppl don't mess with the sanctity of marriage and family, Im cool.

Thanks for lowering my IQ, d-bag.

Phil
07-18-2005, 06:35 PM
Although I dislike Hewitt and the way he carries on during a match I agree completely. I've read far more racist, h-om-ophobic and s-exist statements on this message board than I've ever heard during a Hewitt match. If we've never said anything remotely similar then we should feel free to give him a hard time. If we have then, remember what they say about people in glass houses?

I'm definately not looking to defend Hewitt because, as I said, I don't like the bloke's style. However, I do think he has very little concept, when he uses certain words, of what they mean to a wider audience. Have a good look at his coach, Roger Rasheed or his best friend and sporting idol Andrew McLeod and you'll see that neither one of them is caucasian. So, when he makes a remark that is considered racist do we really think, given his associations, that he is genuinely racist? Lleyton, when he gets wound up, just doesn't connect the dots regarding the things he says. He's definately not alone there and, having been a linesman for a dozen years, I can state categorically, that he is nowhere near the worst. Jim Courier, for all his good points, is still prone to doing the same thing as could be seen at this year's Australian Open when he called one of the female broadcasters 'eye candy'. That is unbelievably dumb, especially given that it's a comment made not in the heat of battle but when he had all the time in the world to say nothing at all. Still, I wouldn't necessarily say he's s-ex-ist, just that he's as prone as many to making comments when he hasn't allowed his brain to engage with his mouth a' la' Hewitt.

So, Andrew, you would argue that it's okay to say pretty much anything, as long as it's in "the heat of battle". Boys will be boys and all that...

I guess the same would apply to his remarks during the match with Blake a few years back. How many passes does Hewitt get from you and his fans until he's finally called on it? A lot of players get stressed out and lose their cool during the "heat of battle" and tend to let the mouth run without thinking much about it, but very few, if any, to my knowledge, make h-om-ophobic and racist remarks. Why is that?

wildbill88AA
07-18-2005, 06:39 PM
maybe the guy is a poof.

Deuce
07-18-2005, 11:09 PM
It's quite interesting that certain people view Hewitt's comment in the Blake match as being "racially motivated", and claim that, by virtue of that comment, Hewitt is a racist against blacks.

I don't see it that way myself...

What if Hewitt (or any other player) were playing a caucasian British player, and complaining that the Brit was getting favorable calls from the caucasian British linesperson? Would this, too, be called racism? Highly unlikely. Or if a man were playing a woman and complaining of favorable calls from a female linesperson?

Hewitt was questioning the integrity and honesty of the linesman - simple as that. Does he have the right to do this? The answer to this question depends on who is asked. Personally, I find anyone who assumes that the linesperson(s) and/or umpire is deliberately screwing only them to be a whining paranoid imbecile. I don't claim to know what Hewitt's opinion of black people is - but I do know that his comment in the infamous Blake match did nothing to establish his view of blacks one way or another.

x Southpaw x
07-18-2005, 11:20 PM
"Look at him," Hewitt said, gesturing at the linesman. "And look at him," pointing at Blake. "You tell me what the similarity is.

I think Deuce has a point. From the above quote, he does seem to sound aggressive and angry. But he might not necessarily be racist. Like Deuce said, he could be serious that the linesman was making biased line call and just blurted out a racist comment in his accusation of the linesman.

Deuce
07-19-2005, 12:20 AM
But how is the comment racist?

As I pointed out, the very same situation and comment could occur if the linesman and opposing player were British... or French... or German... or...

Hewitt was questioning the linesman's honesty and integrity - that is all - in implying that, as a black man, he is giving Blake favorable calls. While some may claim that Hewitt's comment implies that he thinks that black persons are inherently dishonest and lack integrity, I see no evidence of this. It may well be that Hewitt thinks this way of black people. But it may not be, as well. Bottom line is that his comment in the Blake match does not in any way reveal how he views black people - it reveals only that he felt that this particular linesman was dishonest.

thejerk
07-19-2005, 01:26 AM
If there is nothing wrong with being a P**f why are these people offended? Sounds like somebody is just looking for an excuse to be offended. There are professional victims out there.

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 01:51 AM
I think you are clearly wrong as Hewitts comments during the Blake match were clearly politically incorrect.

These comments are clearly racially motivated. However perhaps due to heat of the moment, Blake give him the benefit of the doubt. Lleyton has always been a tough competitor with a big mouth, he needs to stop ******* his opponents off.

yes they were they were motivated as the line ump was clearly giving blake some help with the calls. hewitt suggest that the ump is being biased and he gets called a racist. no one mentions the fact the the ump was taking a racist stand by helping blake?????? narrow minded commments from hewitt hater fans who will use everything and anything to get on his back. everyone loves andre but hey he only calls people f#gs that must be ok.....

Dr.Lobster
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM
yeah what's with this board being so highly filtered, i mean some of my threads have been deleted for no apparent reason

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 02:02 AM

Andrew i agree and accept your point of view. i think that the connection of something being said in the heat of the moment is not something that would be said in general day to day talk.
this is just another excuse for people that dont like hewitt to come on a bad mouth him somemore.

Dr.Lobster
07-19-2005, 02:09 AM
i'm surprised that wasn't blocked out

Phil
07-19-2005, 02:35 AM
But how is the comment racist?

As I pointed out, the very same situation and comment could occur if the linesman and opposing player were British... or French... or German... or...

Hewitt was questioning the linesman's honesty and integrity - that is all - in implying that, as a black man, he is giving Blake favorable calls. While some may claim that Hewitt's comment implies that he thinks that black persons are inherently dishonest and lack integrity, I see no evidence of this. It may well be that Hewitt thinks this way of black people. But it may not be, as well. Bottom line is that his comment in the Blake match does not in any way reveal how he views black people - it reveals only that he felt that this particular linesman was dishonest.

How can you be so sure that Hewitt is NOT a racist. You SEEM awfully sure for not knowing the man. I suppose you can READ him, right?

Why would he even feel the NEED to bring up race in a match? Doesn't that tell you SOMETHING? You say he was merely "questioning the linesman's honesty and integrity" but you don't know that anymore than someone else KNOWS that he's a dyed-in-the-wool racist. He questioned the linesman's integrity AND he brought race into the mix. Why the need to do that? You ask if the same comments would be written if a non-Englishman questioned the calls of an English linesman in favor of his English opponent. Well, I got news for you-it hasn't HAPPENED, so the comparison is LAME and you KNOW, if you have half a brain, that when it comes to RACE it's a whole different story.

None of this automatically makes Hewitt a racist, but it sure raises some questions...you don't think people should ask the question? You're so QUICK to totally dismiss ANY racial issues that I'm starting to believe that you're one of those passive/aggressive type of racist. You always point out that most of the comments on this board by others directed towards the Williams sisters are not, cannot be, can never be RACIALLY motivated, and those who claim that they are, are paranoid, overly politically correct, etc. Grow up and face the 21st century, spanky. This stuff exists-and it exists in places where you wouldn't "expect" it to. You're either incredibly naive and have a "tin ear" for these kind of things-AS I'VE SAID BEFORE, in OTHER POSTS-or you're just a stinkin' racist like some of the others, but you're too gutless to "come out" preferring instead, to protect others who spew this garbage. I think you may just have a tin ear regarding the issue, as you have for many other issues, and I hope I'm right. Only you know that for sure.

AndrewD
07-19-2005, 02:40 AM
So, Andrew, you would argue that it's okay to say pretty much anything, as long as it's in "the heat of battle". Boys will be boys and all that...

I guess the same would apply to his remarks during the match with Blake a few years back. How many passes does Hewitt get from you and his fans until he's finally called on it? A lot of players get stressed out and lose their cool during the "heat of battle" and tend to let the mouth run without thinking much about it, but very few, if any, to my knowledge, make h-om-ophobic and racist remarks. Why is that?

Phil,
unless I actually wrote that it was okay to say anything "in the heat of battle" then it must be pretty clear that Im not suggesting it. I would really suggest you go back and read it again because it's pretty clear you didn't take it in the first time. Me suggesting that Hewitt doesn't engage his brain before his mouth would hardly strike someone as giving him a pass for his behaviour.
If you really think that few sportspeople or people in general make ****phobic or racist remarks when they "let the mouth run without thinking" then I'd have to guess you've never played, watched or offiicated professional sport and just dont get out often enough. It isn't an isolated occurrence. It is endemic and is one of the reasons why, in Australian Rules Football, we had to implement the Racial Villification Act.

Phil
07-19-2005, 02:59 AM
Phil,
unless I actually wrote that it was okay to say anything "in the heat of battle" then it must be pretty clear that Im not suggesting it. I would really suggest you go back and read it again because it's pretty clear you didn't take it in the first time. Me suggesting that Hewitt doesn't engage his brain before his mouth would hardly strike someone as giving him a pass for his behaviour.
If you really think that few sportspeople or people in general make ****phobic or racist remarks when they "let the mouth run without thinking" then I'd have to guess you've never played, watched or offiicated professional sport and just dont get out often enough. It isn't an isolated occurrence. It is endemic and is one of the reasons why, in Australian Rules Football, we had to implement the Racial Villification Act.

Andrew - I don't know from Austrialian rules football, but my impression, from your post, is that you feel that people do this quite often, and being in in the heat of battle, it's no big deal, because, well, it happens all the time. Yes, I know you're not DEFENDING Hewitt or anyone else who makes these kind of remarks, but your point is that other people in other sports do it. So what? Does that make it any more acceptable? It should make it LESS acceptable, I think. The fact that Aussie rules football actually did something about it by enacting a rule says to ME that they feel it is a serious and inflammatory issue and is not just a case of "someone's mouth running without thinking." You can get real complacent about something because it happens frequently-doesn't make it any less than what it is.

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 03:05 AM
How can you be so sure that Hewitt is NOT a racist. You SEEM awfully sure for not knowing the man. I suppose you can READ him, right?

Why would he even feel the NEED to bring up race in a match? Doesn't that tell you SOMETHING? You say he was merely "questioning the linesman's honesty and integrity" but you don't know that anymore than someone else KNOWS that he's a dyed-in-the-wool racist. He questioned the linesman's integrity AND he brought race into the mix. Why the need to do that? You ask if the same comments would be written if a non-Englishman questioned the calls of an English linesman in favor of his English opponent. Well, I got news for you-it hasn't HAPPENED, so the comparison is LAME and you KNOW, if you have half a brain, that when it comes to RACE it's a whole different story.

None of this automatically makes Hewitt a racist, but it sure raises some questions...you don't think people should ask the question? You're so QUICK to totally dismiss ANY racial issues that I'm starting to believe that you're one of those passive/aggressive type of racist. You always point out that most of the comments on this board by others directed towards the Williams sisters are not, cannot be, can never be RACIALLY motivated, and those who claim that they are, are paranoid, overly politically correct, etc. Grow up and face the 21st century, spanky. This stuff exists-and it exists in places where you wouldn't "expect" it to. You're either incredibly naive and have a "tin ear" for these kind of things-AS I'VE SAID BEFORE, in OTHER POSTS-or you're just a stinkin' racist like some of the others, but you're too gutless to "come out" preferring instead, to protect others who spew this garbage. I think you may just have a tin ear regarding the issue, as you have for many other issues, and I hope I'm right. Only you know that for sure.

hmm will how can we be sure anyone is not racist, well even if we know them we might not really know the true answer but i guess we can make an intelligent guess. as posted earlier in this thread does the fact that his coach and one of his best friends who neither are caucasian have anything to do with wether or not he is a racist? not to the narrow minded views on this forum no that is not taking into account. also if you are so upset by what he said i notice that very few people have replied to a thread " Hewitt is the man.." where there is a very clear comment that about h-sexuals yet no one seems to mind that. if people are truely bothered about what Lleyton said then why are they not bother about what is written on this site???

AndrewD
07-19-2005, 03:45 AM
Phil,
my point was not that people in other sports do it so that must make it right. Again, that was not in any way part of what I wrote and Im still stumped as to how you get that from my initial post. You need to separate your opinion from what I wrote because, really, they aren't the same thing.

'One' of the points I was making was that criticism of Hewitt is fine and necessary, however, people who want to make it an issue need to have a close look at themselves as well. Hewitt is a public figure so he's an easy target but, if you have a good look at the posts made on this board, you'll see that what he is being condemned for -rightly, as I said- is what people are more than willing to do in the anonymity we have here. It was directed, most expressly, to all members of this board in the hope that they could see how hypocritical it is to criticise Hewitt - or any other 'celebrity'- and then turn around and do the same thing in one of their posts.

That is not suggesting there is any sphere in which it is acceptable. On the contrary, it is stating that there is no forum in which it is permissable regardless of how insignificant that forum -ie, this message board- it may appear or how anonymous it might be.

pound cat
07-19-2005, 03:53 AM
Clearly there is a need for some enterprising software developer to come up with a "Word Spot" , similar to Shot Spot, which could detect offensive words in every language , would instantly replay the word with its meaning on screen & to the ump, and the umpire could levy a penalty part of which could be a instant public apology (to whom it may offend, mea culpa, "x", pro athlete) . Could be tested at next years Australian Open.

jeebeesus
07-19-2005, 04:38 AM
he`s certainly not making more friends. if the ladies all get sick of him he`s not going to get alternative relief lol

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 04:58 AM
i notice no one is prepared to make comment on the subject of people on this forum making comments about h-sexuals/sexist/racist. if there are that many people with strong views on the subject why are they running away from the fact that they dont seem to mind people on the forums using language like Lleyton did, or is it just a case of they believe it shouldnt be said by people in the public eye but ok in general terms??? i dont hear an out cry when its happening on hear so how can people have that strong an oppinion about it.

RafaN RichardG
07-19-2005, 05:52 AM
hewitt got caught up, and hes a bit of a hot head. on many occasions.
to address what someone said before "if they were both brits". its a little different when you talk about nationality, vs skin color. its almost the same situation, but not quite. as many of you know the brits were never necessarily looked down upon, but blacks were- theres always that part that hurts someone when they talk about stuff like that. same with the g-a-y-s, it gets a little more personal to people when its i guess a "minority" of persons, rather than a whole group of people i.e. the brits.

anyways hewitt shouldnt have said any of those comments, and theres no use defending him, because he said what he said, and it cant be changed, or taken back.

and actually there have been quite a few threads littleleyton, one of which a person made a racial comment about chinese people, and another where the same thread starter accused federer of being jewish for some odd reason i cant remember, and many jumped all over him, and he basucally ran away with his tail between his legs. but youre right, its not just lleyton saying ignorant things, if you look on another thread titled "lleyton is the man because..." youll see that i said the exact same thing(sort of) in that so many people here talk about class, and then they turn around and namecall/make fun of/ cry about, the players.

TennisD
07-19-2005, 05:58 AM
I'm not ***, but since when is *** or lesbian a race.

EDIT:
And since when is g-a-y not allowed to be written.
It's not, but I'm making a comparison. I mean, some people that happen to be in minority groups really exploit the fact that they are minorities. Like, if they don't get a job (if someone is underqualified, they shouldn't), and someone who is not a minority happens to be better qualified, some members of minority groups will instantly scream bloody murder and accuse everyone within a 5 mile radius to be against them! I mean, come on!

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 06:09 AM
hewitt got caught up, and hes a bit of a hot head. on many occasions.
to address what someone said before "if they were both brits". its a little different when you talk about nationality, vs skin color. its almost the same situation, but not quite. as many of you know the brits were never necessarily looked down upon, but blacks were- theres always that part that hurts someone when they talk about stuff like that. same with the g-a-y-s, it gets a little more personal to people when its i guess a "minority" of persons, rather than a whole group of people i.e. the brits.

anyways hewitt shouldnt have said any of those comments, and theres no use defending him, because he said what he said, and it cant be changed, or taken back.

and actually there have been quite a few threads littleleyton, one of which a person made a racial comment about chinese people, and another where the same thread starter accused federer of being jewish for some odd reason i cant remember, and many jumped all over him, and he basucally ran away with his tail between his legs. but youre right, its not just lleyton saying ignorant things, if you look on another thread titled "lleyton is the man because..." youll see that i said the exact same thing(sort of) in that so many people here talk about class, and then they turn around and namecall/make fun of/ cry about, the players.

rafan

yea it was the thread "lleyton is the man" that was what i was talking about and you can see in my earlier post i mentioned that. but yea i agree with totally it is only an issue for some people when it is being said by someone they have choosen not to like but contradict themselves by doing the same thing.

RafaN RichardG
07-19-2005, 06:18 AM
It's not, but I'm making a comparison. I mean, some people that happen to be in minority groups really exploit the fact that they are minorities. Like, if they don't get a job (if someone is underqualified, they shouldn't), and someone who is not a minority happens to be better qualified, some members of minority groups will instantly scream bloody murder and accuse everyone within a 5 mile radius to be against them! I mean, come on!

maybe the fact is you havent been in a situation in which someone was obviously mistreated. i was in clothing store at a mall with one of my black friends, and all throughout the store salesperson guy followed us the whole time, and he made it known! he would keep asking us if we needed help, and each time we said no. and yet he still followed us, when there were other persons in the store who did need help. what do you call that.

that doesnt go to say that its always racism. however i think you need to get out more because its not always so discrete.

rhubarb
07-19-2005, 07:45 AM
By the way, the latest news is that Hewitt has apologised and both he and Coria are going to be fined by the ITF. Article link coming if I can find it.

newnuse
07-19-2005, 07:49 AM
I think Hewitt crosses the line with his tirades. The incident with Blake, calling the ladies' game 2 sets of trash..etc. He attacks certain groups.

I don't mind when a players loses it and yells at the Umpire/linesman, but Hewitt crosses the line in my book. You can't start attacking groups like that.

rhubarb
07-19-2005, 07:57 AM
He's not attacking any groups directly is he? In fact, he's doing what you're saying - abusing the officials.

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 07:59 AM
I think Hewitt crosses the line with his tirades. The incident with Blake, calling the ladies' game 2 sets of trash..etc. He attacks certain groups.

I don't mind when a players loses it and yells at the Umpire/linesman, but Hewitt crosses the line in my book. You can't start attacking groups like that.

yet again i am going to ask if you feel so strongly about people crossing the line why is this directed at only lleyton. i havent noticed that you are not upset by other threads in which people have used similar comments or again are you one of the many that feels that what guys like Lleyton say should be taking differently from what others say?? if you are so bothered about what he says why is it that you only concern yourself with what he says and not with what people closer, ie directly on this forum say?

newnuse
07-19-2005, 08:09 AM
yet again i am going to ask if you feel so strongly about people crossing the line why is this directed at only lleyton. i havent noticed that you are upset by other threads in which people have used similar comments or again are you one of the many that feels that what guys like Lleyton say should be taking differently from what others say?? if you are so bothered about what he says why is it that you only concern yourself with what he says and not with what people closer, ie directly on this forum say?

You have not read any of my posts than. I have ripped serveral posters here for comments that were sexist and racists. I cannot stand that stuff. It makes me want to never visit this board again after reading some posts.

I don't mind when a player yells at a linesman, calls them an idiot, questions their vision etc...

Stuff I consider crossing the line
Cursing directly at a linesman (as oppose to cursing at nobody in general)
Calling a linesman a H0m0sexual
Implying one linesman is favoring a player due to skin color
Showing up & disrepecting your opponent

rhubarb
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Hewitt, Coria pay for fracas
The Advertiser
July 20, 2005

LLEYTON Hewitt and Guillermo Coria are to be fined by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) after the pair's savage Davis Cup confrontation.

ITF referee German Norbet Peick has told Tennis Australia officials both players will be penalised for incidents stemming from Friday's poisonous opening match in Sydney.

The ITF Davis Cup committee will determine the fines at its next meeting.

Hewitt will be censured for referring to Portuguese umpire Carlos Ramos as a "poof", while Coria will be carpeted for spitting in Peick's direction.

Peick lodged a report with the ITF after reviewing videotape of the match.

Hewitt yesterday apologised to *** groups.

"I regret having said what I said in the heat of the match," the world No.2 said.

"I apologise for any offence I may have caused to any individual or groups."

The South Australian made the comment to Peick about Ramos after being upset by a line call.

The Victorian *** and Lesbian Rights Lobby condemned Hewitt's comment as malicious, vindictive and offensive.

Coria is likely to be fined more than Hewitt, although he will escape penalty for spitting at support group, The Fanatics.

The Hewitt-Coria match will live in infamy. Hewitt accused Coria of clutching his groin three times in the fourth set as he prepared to serve. The Australian branded Coria an arrogant, sore loser.

Coria returned fire, saying: "Inside the court, you really feel like killing him. He can be the best player in the world, he can win every tournament, but he cannot behave the way he does, abusing the captain, abusing the other players, abusing everybody."

Hewitt said Coria had attempted to bump him at the end of the first set.

Juan Ignacio Chela, another Argentine, was docked $2600 in January for spitting at Hewitt.

littlelleyton
07-19-2005, 09:00 AM
You have not read any of my posts than. I have ripped serveral posters here for comments that were sexist and racists. I cannot stand that stuff. It makes me want to never visit this board again after reading some posts.

I don't mind when a player yells at a linesman, calls them an idiot, questions their vision etc...

Stuff I consider crossing the line
Cursing directly at a linesman (as oppose to cursing at nobody in general)
Calling a linesman a H0m0sexual
Implying one linesman is favoring a player due to skin color
Showing up & disrepecting your opponent

i was directly talking about a post that has been made today, in which someone used the same comment plus a little extra. i apologise if i seem a little short on this topic but i find it that the majority of people that have expressed their views on this subject have overlooked comments from people on this site and will not stand up and face this fact. i realise that people do not like Lleyton and other players but the round about way they go about expressing it is simply childish. they jump on any subject to throw their 2 cents in as if they have a deep view of the subject just to take a shot at whatever player they dislike. i have no problem if people want to express their views on something like this but the views should be expressed throughout all aspects of the topic not just on the ones they choose because they dislike a particular guy.
the comment that was on "Lleyton is the man" that i am talking about was typed by someone sitting at a pc who had plenty of time to think about what they want to contribute to this forum, not on the spur of the moment. yet a number of people that have comment on what Lleyton said have not bothered about what was said on this post. do you understand where im coming from?
i agree with you that there are certan things that cross the line, but again for a democratic point of view the thing about a linesman showing favouritism due to skin colour is something that you simply can not say is crossing the line as for all we know this may have been the case. the way in which Lleyton chose to do this however is something that can be questioned and i think the case is that too often than not Lleyton engages his mouth on court without thinking of the ramifications of his words. yes he should learn from this and yes he should be fined etc as this is clearly not acceptable.

RafaN RichardG
07-19-2005, 09:45 AM
i agree with you that there are certan things that cross the line, but again for a democratic point of view the thing about a linesman showing favouritism due to skin colour is something that you simply can not say is crossing the line as for all we know this may have been the case. ....

it always seems that way when youre(you referring to hewitt) angry, like somethings against you. i mean its not the first time hewitt has "harassed" a lineseman in anger over a call.

however i would not put yourself in the same boat as hewitt in accusing the lineseman if making favorable calls to blake. and it is crossing the line in the way he said it. "look at him, and look at him" he didnt even have to make it a skin color issue by just saying "that guys making calls to help blake" or whatever, but he chose to put them together by skin color, which is crossing the line.

Max G.
07-19-2005, 02:24 PM
Good, Hewitt and Coria both got fined.

Dr.Lobster
07-19-2005, 02:34 PM
if leyton actually posted on this forum his posts would look like this:

**** *** * *** ***** ***** **** **** **** **** *** ** ****** **** ***** ****** ***** ****** *** * www.************.org **** **** ******

fishuuuuu
07-19-2005, 02:35 PM
So TennisD, when are you ready to admit your idol isn't too much of a good sport and he isn't actually well-liked among his peers.

Inside the court, you really feel like killing him. He can be the best player in the world, he can win every tournament, but he cannot behave the way he does, abusing the captain, abusing the other players, abusing everybody.

Phil
07-19-2005, 10:15 PM
Phil,
my point was not that people in other sports do it so that must make it right. Again, that was not in any way part of what I wrote and Im still stumped as to how you get that from my initial post. You need to separate your opinion from what I wrote because, really, they aren't the same thing.

'One' of the points I was making was that criticism of Hewitt is fine and necessary, however, people who want to make it an issue need to have a close look at themselves as well. Hewitt is a public figure so he's an easy target but, if you have a good look at the posts made on this board, you'll see that what he is being condemned for -rightly, as I said- is what people are more than willing to do in the anonymity we have here. It was directed, most expressly, to all members of this board in the hope that they could see how hypocritical it is to criticise Hewitt - or any other 'celebrity'- and then turn around and do the same thing in one of their posts.

That is not suggesting there is any sphere in which it is acceptable. On the contrary, it is stating that there is no forum in which it is permissable regardless of how insignificant that forum -ie, this message board- it may appear or how anonymous it might be.

Andrew - I think I'm reading your posts just fine, but if I misinterpreted them, then my bad...Of course there's a lot of garbage spewed on this board, and maybe-though I don't know-some of the people criticizing Hewit are no innocents, but again, that's really a moot point. Hewitt IS a public figure and he IS subjected to more scrutiny than some weenie posting nasty remarks on a chat board. You seem to be going far afield...I thought originally, your point was: people say stuff in the heat of battle, all the time. We shouldn't "over react" to this, or something like that...

Deuce
07-19-2005, 10:27 PM
Andrew, you'll likely learn with prolonged experience with, and exposure to, Phil that he has a strong tendency to read posts in the way that best serves his agenda. Believe me, it's much more deliberate manipulation than it is innocent and naive misinterpretation.

More very selective reading from dear Phil...

Phil wrote (to me):

"How can you be so sure that Hewitt is NOT a racist. You SEEM awfully sure for not knowing the man. I suppose you can READ him, right?"

That was AFTER I wrote:

"Hewitt was questioning the linesman's honesty and integrity - that is all - in implying that, as a black man, he is giving Blake favorable calls. While some may claim that Hewitt's comment implies that he thinks that black persons are inherently dishonest and lack integrity, I see no evidence of this. It may well be that Hewitt thinks this way of black people. But it may not be, as well. Bottom line is that his comment in the Blake match does not in any way reveal how he views black people - it reveals only that he felt that this particular linesman was dishonest."

And so, it is clear to anyone who can read - and who interprets things honestly - that I never said that Hewitt is not a racist. I said that he may or may not be. I said merely that within his comment in the Blake match, there is no evidence of him being a racist.

So, Phil - and others who possess the misfortune of 'thinking' as Phil does - what exactly is the evidence that Hewitt is - or might be - a racist? Please tell us. It seems that your 'evidence' is not even close to approaching the level of being circumstantial, let alone anything near actual proof. Yet, you're conveniently ready to condemn. This situation seems to reveal far more about you than it does about Hewitt.

Now, I don't give a damn about Hewitt one way or another. Whether I 'root' for him or not depends entirely on who he is playing.

Phil, you are essentially saying that Hewitt is probably some sort of racist, based on his comment during the Blake match. You prefer to view him as guilty until he proves himself innocent. While this may not make you a racist, it surely makes you a damned fool.

As for your personal comments regarding me... well, it's just simply more of the same B.S. from you. Because I'm not like you, crying "racism" at every bloody opportunity, no matter how ridiculous, and desperately hoping that someone will applaud me for it, 'seeing' 'racism', but being entirely unable to point to anything even resembling solid evidence, you conclude that this is evidence that I might just be a "hidden racist" - just as you carelessly conclude the same about Hewitt, with the same absence of evidence. When you come up with an actual legitimate argument, I'll perhaps respond to it - but this crap you're spewing doesn't hold even a half ounce of water - and you know it. You're just - once again - using the manipulative 'power of suggestion' to try to plant the seed in the head of those as unfortunate as yourself that Hewitt - and I - may just be 'hidden racists'. Way to stick to the agenda, Phil.

Andy Hewitt
07-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Didnt Eminem like have these idiots up his *** cuz he said f-a-g in every song? Did anything come of that? I know he didnt apologize for it but he may have said that he didnt mean to offend them.

friedalo1
07-19-2005, 10:32 PM
If Hewitt was American, he would be considered a Red neck. You cant change the personaulity of illiterate.

Andy Hewitt
07-19-2005, 10:36 PM
So TennisD, when are you ready to admit your idol isn't too much of a good sport and he isn't actually well-liked among his peers.
Im glad people dont like him. Makes it more fun to root for him.

devila
07-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Bad calls helped him at the US Open, but AMAZINGLY, Hewitt rarely noticed anything.
When he's in a losing position, he does anything to show his contempt to opponents and linesmen.
Instead of Hewitt kissing the ground, I'd like to see his bloodied face jammed on the court.

When he bumped shoulders with Nalbandian in January, he accused David of delberately doing it. Poor victim Hewitt. Cry for him.

devila
07-19-2005, 10:52 PM
Emnem is a clown. He isn't a tennis player who's obsessed with proving that he's better than Americans, clay court specialists, etc.

Hewitt's desperate because he's fit, fast and trying his best but can't dominate the tour on hardcourt, clay or grass. He's too bitter to accept that he isn't the 2nd best player.
When he's not playing Federer, he's too insecure to accept failure.

Phil
07-19-2005, 11:43 PM
Andrew, you'll likely learn with prolonged experience with, and exposure to, Phil that he has a strong tendency to read posts in the way that best serves his agenda. Believe me, it's much more deliberate manipulation than it is innocent and naive misinterpretation.

More very selective reading from dear Phil...

Phil wrote (to me):

"How can you be so sure that Hewitt is NOT a racist. You SEEM awfully sure for not knowing the man. I suppose you can READ him, right?"

That was AFTER I wrote:

"Hewitt was questioning the linesman's honesty and integrity - that is all - in implying that, as a black man, he is giving Blake favorable calls. While some may claim that Hewitt's comment implies that he thinks that black persons are inherently dishonest and lack integrity, I see no evidence of this. It may well be that Hewitt thinks this way of black people. But it may not be, as well. Bottom line is that his comment in the Blake match does not in any way reveal how he views black people - it reveals only that he felt that this particular linesman was dishonest."

And so, it is clear to anyone who can read - and who interprets things honestly - that I never said that Hewitt is not a racist. I said that he may or may not be. I said merely that within his comment in the Blake match, there is no evidence of him being a racist.

So, Phil - and others who possess the misfortune of 'thinking' as Phil does - what exactly is the evidence that Hewitt is - or might be - a racist? Please tell us. It seems that your 'evidence' is not even close to approaching the level of being circumstantial, let alone anything near actual proof. Yet, you're conveniently ready to condemn. This situation seems to reveal far more about you than it does about Hewitt.

Now, I don't give a damn about Hewitt one way or another. Whether I 'root' for him or not depends entirely on who he is playing.

Phil, you are essentially saying that Hewitt is probably some sort of racist, based on his comment during the Blake match. You prefer to view him as guilty until he proves himself innocent. While this may not make you a racist, it surely makes you a damned fool.

As for your personal comments regarding me... well, it's just simply more of the same B.S. from you. Because I'm not like you, crying "racism" at every bloody opportunity, no matter how ridiculous, and desperately hoping that someone will applaud me for it, 'seeing' 'racism', but being entirely unable to point to anything even resembling solid evidence, you conclude that this is evidence that I might just be a "hidden racist" - just as you carelessly conclude the same about Hewitt, with the same absence of evidence. When you come up with an actual legitimate argument, I'll perhaps respond to it - but this crap you're spewing doesn't hold even a half ounce of water - and you know it. You're just - once again - using the manipulative 'power of suggestion' to try to plant the seed in the head of those as unfortunate as yourself that Hewitt - and I - may just be 'hidden racists'. Way to stick to the agenda, Phil.

I never said, or even implied that Hewitt is a racist. I simply DON'T KNOW, Deuce. I don't know him like you think you do. I don't know him at all. But you seem so SURE that he is not, based on what? One has to at least question his beliefs and motivations based on what he SAID. That's a matter of record and what he said was racially oriented.

I don't see racists at every corner, but I acknowledge that quite a few of them exist and always will, and that is not something to be ignored. You, on the other hand, deny even this irrepudible FACT. You're a blind man, on this and many, many other issues.

Deuce
07-19-2005, 11:53 PM
Nice effort at backtracking, Phil - I'm sure you fooled some stupid people.

Phil
07-19-2005, 11:59 PM
Nice effort at backtracking, Phil - I'm sure you fooled some stupid people.

I don't know where you get this idea that I'm trying to "fool" anyone. People believe what they want-you, for instance, have been fooling YOURSELF for years. All I do is call you on your intellectually dishonest claptrap-you think you can just pop off and everyone will kiss the ground you walk on? Wrong answer, buddy. Must be tough, being the lone voice in the wilderness, and a not-very-well-informed one at that.

Deuce
07-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Keep avoiding the issue, Phil - no doubt you have an appreciative audience of intellectually challenged people out there... somewhere.

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 01:31 AM
it always seems that way when youre(you referring to hewitt) angry, like somethings against you. i mean its not the first time hewitt has "harassed" a lineseman in anger over a call.

however i would not put yourself in the same boat as hewitt in accusing the lineseman if making favorable calls to blake. and it is crossing the line in the way he said it. "look at him, and look at him" he didnt even have to make it a skin color issue by just saying "that guys making calls to help blake" or whatever, but he chose to put them together by skin color, which is crossing the line.

Rafa, i am not sure where you are getting angry from in my posts and if you take it this way then its clear you have not understood them. the comment that you are referring to is not just about Lleyton, you will see in my previous posts that wether it be Roddick, Federer, Hewitt, Murray etc i post my opinions and thoughts on whatever matter is being discussed and always take into concideration both sides of the story, something that is a lose for alot of people. did i not agree with the fact that the way in which Lleyton chose to challenge the linesman was wrong? yes i did, but you cannot say that in no uncertain terms that lleyton didnt have a point because only the linesman will truely know. for all we know the linesman could hate hewitt as much as people on this forum, he might think Federer is arrogant, just like people on this forum, whos to say, not you, not me, no one. you cannot tell me that i shouldnt have the opinion that the linesman in that match made some calls that favoured Blake as that is my opinion, as to why i think he or if i think he made the calls he did is a different matter. do i think you made them because of colour, no i think he was maybe having a bad day, but i am open to the possibility that this might not have been the case.
can i aslo point out that in your post you make out as if Lleyton is the only player on tour that gives lineman/women a hard time. course its not the 1st time he has shouted at a line judge and it wont be the last. in the world of sport referees, umpires, line judges etc are in a postion where they interact with players and in tennis its one of the least expressive sports when it comes to player/ official interaction. soccer, basketball and baseball to name 3 sports where officials are harassed, as you say, a whole lot more than what Lleyton has ever done.

Phil
07-20-2005, 01:52 AM
Keep avoiding the issue, Phil - no doubt you have an appreciative audience of intellectually challenged people out there... somewhere.

I think I confronted the "issue" head on; you're the idiot with his pie hole in the sand. You have no response for that.

____
07-20-2005, 01:59 AM
let me try

gay

gay

gay

gay

g-a-y

CoASH
07-20-2005, 02:05 AM
gay
gay
lalalalalla

CoASH
07-20-2005, 02:06 AM
for ****s sake

pound cat
07-20-2005, 03:19 AM
I can just imagine the dinner table conversations at the Hewitt home...

**** ********** Coria ******& Blake ********** & the **** ******* *****umpire ******** ATP ********* **** ***** and all the ***** money I'm making & I'm ******* LMAO....

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 06:18 AM
i think that if that were the case it would be quite funny to have his family do a "reality tv show" much more interesting than a Williams sister show, but its probably not the case that the home life goes like that. for all that is said he does come across in interviews as being some what well spoken, what happens when he crosses the white lines who knows.

TennisD
07-20-2005, 06:40 AM
Who said he's my idol? I like him and respect him, but he's not my idol

First of all, I wouldn't take Coria's word for anything. He's an absolute punk, I've met him, and I've watched him practice with guys I know very well (I was injured so I was on the sidelines), and the guy is a TOOL. I mean, a lot of Hewitt's peers have said things about him that aren't negative. Federer for one.

Bottom line, Hewitt's a fighter. He wants to win, and he will do anything within the rules to do so. Also, pretty much everybody on tour does what he does. People swear at umpires, people dislike each other and get into verbal debates. Hewitt just got caught. Safin, Agassi, everyone else does it. We just don't hear about it most of the time. Honestly, I feel bad for Hewitt, because he was in the heat of competition, and got in trouble for being competetive.

Honestly, I wish he had gotten into a fight with Coria, just so he could hand that cheeky punk his a-s-s on a silver platter...

Also, think about this. Guys like McEnroe and Connors were far worse than Hewitt, they were more lewd, more obscene, far worse than pretty much anyone. But since they are American that makes it ok? Way to have double standards...

littlelleyton
07-20-2005, 03:00 PM

wow you must be way sensitive if you think that this is angry. im sorry if you have read into my post like this but you are way off the mark. i have simply disussed a topic in which some very narrow minded views have been put across and people refuse to even think about the possibility that there may, just may be a different point of view when it comes to a topic that is being discussed. i have seen this when it comes to matters of players, yes of course hewitt but also, Fed, Rod, Murray and others i also put my point of view across to people who refuse to accept even the possibility of something other than what they think.
why does it bother, concern or interest you what emotions i have when responding to topics anyway? why does it not bother you that there are comments posted on here that are childish, opinionated and at times just absolutely silly. do you take the time to ask them why they are responding the way the do?
please do not attempt to tell me what i should or should not take up an opinion on, especially when you have clearly not, in the first place, clearly read my posts, let alone understood them. did i say that i thought Lleyton was cright in the way he handled the situation with the linesman in the Blake match, NO. did i say in any way that the linesmans calls were due to him favouring Blake due to skin colour? NO. i agreed that the way in which he dealt with the situation was wrong, but as he has shown when in the height of a match he clearly does not engage the brain the same way he does off it. but can you say that he didnt have a fair point? NO. do you have to leave yourself open to the possibility that the linesman may well have been favouring someone of the same skin colour, YES. as there is one person and one person only on this planet that can truely answer that question, the linesman.
is it likely this was the case, IMO probably not, were some of the calls dubious, maybe. but then when in a tournament does something like this not come up every now and then. is it a possibility that the linesman didnt like Lleyton due to his abuse he maybe received in the past, maybe. could the linesman made a mistake, maybe. the point is we will never no but to say in no uncertain terms one way or another is just not possible.
can i also just ask why you highlight "harassed"???? do you understand, have ever saw or been apart of the world of professional sport???? have you ever seen a football(soccer), baseball, basketball, american football etc match take place???? Umpires, referees, linesman/women etc are all part of the game and interaction with the players. these players tournments matches are, at times in the hands of not only themselves but the decession making of these people and the interaction that happens during play is part and parcel of the game. tennis is a sport, especially compared to soccer and baseball that umpires and linesmen/women have to deal with a minimal amount of "harassment" the out cry of abusive that Lleyton has given to officials is small in comparision to oh i dont know lets say, Greg R at Wimb for example. does this excuse him course it doesnt there is no excuse for calling anyone a p**f but settle down its not the end of the world he didnt go out and kill someone, he didnt even lay hands on anyone and the whole scale of things its a pretty boring little incident in whats happening in the world today.
if you feel this has been an angry rant then you are reading too much into it.
Lleyton is an arrogant little s@*t on court and he really gets under peoples skin but plays some wonderful tennis and competes at the top end of, IMO the most fantastic sport on earth so look out for that once in a while and remember what it was like when you were a kid who didnt care about all the politics of the sport but just enjoyed watch a ball get hit over a net by people that made it look easy.
and just to show you im not angry at the end of this i will share i joke, a bad joke just for you rafan.

littlelleyton say "i had 2 goldfish, guess their names?"
rafan say " not sure, tell me"
littlelleyton says " 1 and 2"
rafan say "but why would you call them that?"
littlelleyton says " well if 1 dies, i'll still have 2!!!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CoASH
07-21-2005, 01:57 AM
You are gay

verdasco67
07-21-2005, 02:07 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/tennis/story/3776328

hewitt and bec

littlelleyton
07-21-2005, 02:33 AM
coASH are you talking to me?

CoASH
07-21-2005, 06:29 AM
No I am not

littlelleyton
07-21-2005, 07:12 AM
ok as wasnt sure who it was directed at there

RafaN RichardG
07-21-2005, 07:26 AM
wow you must be way sensitive if you think that this is angry. im sorry if you have read into my post like this but you are way off the mark. i have simply disussed a topic in which some very narrow minded views have been put across and people refuse to even think about the possibility that there may, just may be a different point of view when it comes to a topic that is being discussed. i have seen this when it comes to matters of players, yes of course hewitt but also, Fed, Rod, Murray and others i also put my point of view across to people who refuse to accept even the possibility of something other than what they think.
why does it bother, concern or interest you what emotions i have when responding to topics anyway? why does it not bother you that there are comments posted on here that are childish, opinionated and at times just absolutely silly. do you take the time to ask them why they are responding the way the do?
please do not attempt to tell me what i should or should not take up an opinion on, especially when you have clearly not, in the first place, clearly read my posts, let alone understood them. did i say that i thought Lleyton was cright in the way he handled the situation with the linesman in the Blake match, NO. did i say in any way that the linesmans calls were due to him favouring Blake due to skin colour? NO. i agreed that the way in which he dealt with the situation was wrong, but as he has shown when in the height of a match he clearly does not engage the brain the same way he does off it. but can you say that he didnt have a fair point? NO. do you have to leave yourself open to the possibility that the linesman may well have been favouring someone of the same skin colour, YES. as there is one person and one person only on this planet that can truely answer that question, the linesman.
is it likely this was the case, IMO probably not, were some of the calls dubious, maybe. but then when in a tournament does something like this not come up every now and then. is it a possibility that the linesman didnt like Lleyton due to his abuse he maybe received in the past, maybe. could the linesman made a mistake, maybe. the point is we will never no but to say in no uncertain terms one way or another is just not possible.
can i also just ask why you highlight "harassed"???? do you understand, have ever saw or been apart of the world of professional sport???? have you ever seen a football(soccer), baseball, basketball, american football etc match take place???? Umpires, referees, linesman/women etc are all part of the game and interaction with the players. these players tournments matches are, at times in the hands of not only themselves but the decession making of these people and the interaction that happens during play is part and parcel of the game. tennis is a sport, especially compared to soccer and baseball that umpires and linesmen/women have to deal with a minimal amount of "harassment" the out cry of abusive that Lleyton has given to officials is small in comparision to oh i dont know lets say, Greg R at Wimb for example. does this excuse him course it doesnt there is no excuse for calling anyone a p**f but settle down its not the end of the world he didnt go out and kill someone, he didnt even lay hands on anyone and the whole scale of things its a pretty boring little incident in whats happening in the world today.
if you feel this has been an angry rant then you are reading too much into it.
Lleyton is an arrogant little s@*t on court and he really gets under peoples skin but plays some wonderful tennis and competes at the top end of, IMO the most fantastic sport on earth so look out for that once in a while and remember what it was like when you were a kid who didnt care about all the politics of the sport but just enjoyed watch a ball get hit over a net by people that made it look easy.
and just to show you im not angry at the end of this i will share i joke, a bad joke just for you rafan.

littlelleyton say "i had 2 goldfish, guess their names?"
rafan say " not sure, tell me"
littlelleyton says " 1 and 2"
rafan say "but why would you call them that?"
littlelleyton says " well if 1 dies, i'll still have 2!!!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

lol i wasnt talking to you littleleyton, i was speaking hypothetically when i was like "if you say this blah blah blah"

i think we both just read each others stuff wrong

i wasnt questioning your comments or anything like that. ill sum up my views in one sentence or 2.

lol i honestly could care less what hewitt said, he apologised so whatever( i just like to play devils advocate, just to see how other people feel about the situation)
i def could not read all those words, too...many...sentences
:mrgreen: l8er ppl

littlelleyton
07-21-2005, 07:37 AM
it does look like your post is directed at me since you quote me and you say when i am talking about lleyton. but its all good your happy im happy no probs, hope you liked my joke at the end it was just for you.... :mrgreen:

RafaN RichardG
07-21-2005, 07:45 AM
when i said you, i was talking hypothetically about hewitt and why he may have been angry at the linesman against blake. i.e. if youre talking to someone and say "when someone makes a bad line call it always seems like its all going against *you*", when you say "you" it doesnt necessarily mean the comment is directed to the person youre talking to, just speaking in general. its hard to get what you want to say across here because things sound different when you type them than when you actually say them. and the way i said it was sort of confusing.
anyway its all good

littlelleyton
07-21-2005, 07:59 AM
here rafan not a problem its only because you had quoted me and i took it as if you were saying that when i replied to posts about Lleyton i seemed angry. the joys of e-communication. i understand what you mean and i think its good for people to throw different points of views into the pot, that was the bases of most of my point anyway.

you never mentioned the joke that was for you......you like it

RafaN RichardG
07-21-2005, 08:04 AM
lol it was hilarious
:p

Cavaleer
07-21-2005, 10:00 AM

I agree with you there, TennisD. Maybe he just thinks it's an incomprehensible, or worse, lifestyle. That doesn't mean he fears it. I know I don't. If he doesn't like it, so be it.

Name calling and trash talk in general, however, for some reason doesn't work in tennis the way it does in other sports like football, basketball and boxing, and maybe soccer and rugby- I don't know much about these sports but I would imagine trash is talked, and names are called.

Nevertheless, Hewitt should know better. And I don't think he's racist, just hyper-sensitive, like some so-called minorities and so-called majorities. That situation with Blake was boderline paranoid. "They look the same..." That's just ludicrous.

His style does go against the grain of the Australian tennis image, however. Do you or anyone else know what his image is like there?

TennisD, I read one of your later posts on this thread and I'm glad to hear that there is trash-talk and antagonism in tennis. I think it's natural in any competitive situation, especially any face-to-face competition.

Cavaleer

Cavaleer
07-21-2005, 10:18 AM

Actually it's very different. The N-word has no basis in reality except as a generic slur, and as such is absurd and meaningless, like W*P, K*KE, W**TE TR**H, et al.

P**F, F****T, et al, are direct statements about a person's style of life, mannerisms, etc., somewhat like R*DN**K. Although the funny thing about many of these words is that people call themselves the same words that are thought to be slanders when used by others.

It's all very silly.

Cavaleer

Cavaleer
07-21-2005, 10:41 AM

I agree with you again, TennisD. It's an unfortunate result of the way legalizing competition and access for native born, tax-paying Americans was handled in the 60s and 70s.

Now we have everyone screaming discrimination. But this will pass. And we Americans have far more important issues to address that could answer and solve these situations across the board.

Cavaleer

TennisD
07-21-2005, 11:56 AM
I will agree that yes, Hewitt should have really known better. But lets not make him a parriah for losing his temper. People have done far worse than him, especially in our sport. I mean, give the guy a break....

Cavaleer
07-21-2005, 01:01 PM
I will agree that yes, Hewitt should have really known better. But lets not make him a parriah for losing his temper. People have done far worse than him, especially in our sport. I mean, give the guy a break....

That's very true. His manners are in no way comparable to Mcenroe or Connors, or even Serena's amnesia about her Wimbledon pasting by Sharapova...."Did I play that match?"....ridiculous and disgraceful.

The problem is, and I think you mentioned it, he said the wrong thing out loud at the wrong time.
Ultimately, Lleyton should talk more to the press so that he at least has his views stated publicly, verbatim, and people don't just read reporter's babble.

Cavaleer

TennisD
07-21-2005, 01:27 PM
It's not even wrong timing. That's a given. It's just that he got caught, and that other people didn't, and now Hewitt has a s h i tstorm on his hands...

TW Staff
07-21-2005, 02:38 PM
You are gay

The above quote is a prime example of why we previously had the word "gay" censored - in case anyone was still wondering.

Chris, TW.

Frodo Baggins
07-21-2005, 02:44 PM
um Chris-Tw I think your censor machine is broken... I can see Gay instead of >***.. so is your machine broken???

DashaandSafin
07-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Alright time to end this. It all boils down to we argue about how hewitt carries himself on the court blah blah...but nothing changes becuase Hewitt wont change. Would Hewitt be Hewitt without his in your face "come on's" and lawnmowers? I think not. I dont particualry like Hewitt but i dont show disdain for him becuase he called someone a "poof". I think hes an excellent tennis player and some of you should stop acting so sensitive to every word that comes out of someone's mouth.

david aames
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
Juan Ignacio Chela, another Argentine, was docked $2600 in January for spitting at Hewitt.

The best $2600 he will ever spend.

andfor
07-21-2005, 05:27 PM
The best $2600 he will ever spend.

Really? If I remember Juan Ignacio Chela missed the target(Hewitt). Wonder if he had to do it again how sure his aim would be? Unfortunately for us JIC probably won't react the same next time they play. It'll up to someone else to slap the punk silly.

Yours!05
07-21-2005, 06:30 PM
The above quote is a prime example of why we previously had the word "gay" censored - in case anyone was still wondering.Chris, TW.Here's a plan: leave word, remove writer.

datsveryinterestin
07-21-2005, 08:39 PM
Here's a plan: leave word, remove writer.

EXACTLY, I already had this chap on my IGNORE filter, so I don't know what he said, but I'm sure it was totally worthless.

Type40
07-21-2005, 09:07 PM
Who cares.

CoASH
07-22-2005, 12:27 AM
The above quote is a prime example of why we previously had the word "gay" censored - in case anyone was still wondering.

Chris, TW.

that gay word wasn't directed at anyone
gay