PDA

View Full Version : Boris Becker Legend, anyone use

Shawn James
01-10-2012, 08:32 AM
any thoughts on this racquet, how it plays? Shawn

sphinx780
01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Some loved it, some hated it. If you do a search, you'll find some threads on the Legend.

I'm in the camp that thought it was clunky and imprecise and wasn't going to add lead to correct it's flaws. But you'd be best reading the threads on it because it's completely dependent on game style and what you're used to using currently.

TennisMaverick
01-10-2012, 09:48 AM
Some loved it, some hated it. If you do a search, you'll find some threads on the Legend.

I'm in the camp that thought it was clunky and imprecise and wasn't going to add lead to correct it's flaws. But you'd be best reading the threads on it because it's completely dependent on game style and what you're used to using currently.

If you bumped it up to about 365 grams minimum, IMPO, it plays as well s the Melbourne does stock. That means adding approx 20-22 grams in strategic places. Unmodified, it is a little clunky, but I disagree that it is imprecise; you just have to hold the shot in you hand longer.

Meaghan
01-10-2012, 10:44 AM
The legend and the melbourne I would suggest are the same racket with different lay ups. The legend has more swingweight and therefore a heavier head and lower balance, that's the reason some say its a bit clunky, its less manoeuvrable than the melbourne. If this is your preference then cool, if you want something a little easier, if that's the right word, you will need at least the weight of a leather grip and overgrip to make the balance more manageable.
I don't expect its imprecise, that's probably just a factor of not managing the swing weight so you are a touch late on your shots.

I'm picking one up soon and I will make a comparison between it and my melbourne. With the extra weight I add anyway I expect them to feel similar.

sphinx780
01-10-2012, 12:10 PM
If you bumped it up to about 365 grams minimum, IMPO, it plays as well s the Melbourne does stock. That means adding approx 20-22 grams in strategic places. Unmodified, it is a little clunky, but I disagree that it is imprecise; you just have to hold the shot in you hand longer.

Admittedly I didn't give it an extended demo and my perception of the lack in precision could have come down to the lack of familiarity with it compared to the BB11 I was using at the time. It could have simply been a matter of timing. I also have a leaning to playing sticks stock.

Funny though, is that there was no similar issue going to the Melbourne from the BB11 with the differences in balance and all.

TennisMaverick
01-10-2012, 04:00 PM
Admittedly I didn't give it an extended demo and my perception of the lack in precision could have come down to the lack of familiarity with it compared to the BB11 I was using at the time. It could have simply been a matter of timing. I also have a leaning to playing sticks stock.

Funny though, is that there was no similar issue going to the Melbourne from the BB11 with the differences in balance and all.

The BB 11 stock wasn't bad. It was a little 3/9 clunky, but doable--no where near as bad as the BB Pro--and better than the Legend, but worse than the Melbourne. The Melbourne, X10 295, and PB 10 Mid, play real well stock or with as little as .5-.75 grams adjustment at any given spot.

mctennis
01-11-2012, 07:46 AM
I used the BB DC Legend for about a year. I find when I swing out with this racquet the ball the ball normally lands in. i enjoyed the accuracy I got with this racquet. The serve was very good as well. I'm not sure why people here say it's clunky. I never had an issue like that.

Pneumated1
01-11-2012, 09:24 AM
The legend and the melbourne I would suggest are the same racket with different lay ups. The legend has more swingweight and therefore a heavier head and lower balance, that's the reason some say its a bit clunky, its less manoeuvrable than the melbourne. If this is your preference then cool, if you want something a little easier, if that's the right word, you will need at least the weight of a leather grip and overgrip to make the balance more manageable.
I don't expect its imprecise, that's probably just a factor of not managing the swing weight so you are a touch late on your shots.

I'm picking one up soon and I will make a comparison between it and my melbourne. With the extra weight I add anyway I expect them to feel similar.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I bet, considering your mods on the Melbourne, that you possibly might like the Legend better than the Melbourne. I preferred the feel/response of the Legend but preferred the balance and spin potential of the Melbourne. So I think that my ideal racquet is a mix of the two at the same weight and balance of the Melbourne. Therefore, I think that I would still lean towards the Melbourne, and I may still pick one up to try to work into. I find demoing to have limitations, considering that when you find a racquet with near perfect specs and a reasonably acceptable feel/response, it's usually a matter of just making the choice to work into the frame.

Interested to learn of your findings.

Meaghan
01-11-2012, 11:38 AM
I may be going out on a limb here, but I bet, considering your mods on the Melbourne, that you possibly might like the Legend better than the Melbourne. I preferred the feel/response of the Legend but preferred the balance and spin potential of the Melbourne. So I think that my ideal racquet is a mix of the two at the same weight and balance of the Melbourne. Therefore, I think that I would still lean towards the Melbourne, and I may still pick one up to try to work into. I find demoing to have limitations, considering that when you find a racquet with near perfect specs and a reasonably acceptable feel/response, it's usually a matter of just making the choice to work into the frame.

Interested to learn of your findings.

Yes it will be interesting to see.....
The Melly is going very well P1, I managed to beat our number one singles player today, the tension has dropped to 41 from 49lbs and is about to be cut out but that tension on a cold damp day was just superb. Good test today, great control and hitting winners all over the shop. Serve as usual, its an ace machine for me.

Im intrigued with the Legend. I really liked the pb10mid but preferred the feel of the head heavier dnx mid. I wouldnt need as much weight in the head of the Legend to get my sw up but that is not necessarily a good thing as the extra weight adds stability (not that its needed with the CAPs). Looking forward to it arriving, hopefully soon.

Whatever happens I will be picking up a couple more of each to see me thro.

Pneumated1
01-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Yes it will be interesting to see.....
The Melly is going very well P1, I managed to beat our number one singles player today, the tension has dropped to 41 from 49lbs and is about to be cut out but that tension on a cold damp day was just superb. Good test today, great control and hitting winners all over the shop. Serve as usual, its an ace machine for me.

Im intrigued with the Legend. I really liked the pb10mid but preferred the feel of the head heavier dnx mid. I wouldnt need as much weight in the head of the Legend to get my sw up but that is not necessarily a good thing as the extra weight adds stability (not that its needed with the CAPs). Looking forward to it arriving, hopefully soon.

Whatever happens I will be picking up a couple more of each to see me thro.

I have no gripes with my Londons, as I've made them work for me through extensive mods. However, I just get discouraged when I look at all the lead that I've stretched all over the hoop and into the throat, etc. That, in addition to the "DC wings" on the sides of the hoop, with the same material acting like some sort of sleeve at the bottom of the throat, clearly distinguishable from the black graphite areas that constitute most of the racquet. Sometimes it reminds me, with all of its disparate parts and such, of one of my son's transformers. It seems that it should be able to just get up and walk off.

I realize that the Legend and Melbourne both have an integration of DC in them as well, but the integration does not diminish the "oneness" of the frame. For example, I still hit Kobra SS Forged irons. They're not as forgiving as most cavity-backed clubs that are two-piece and moulded, but there's something more solid about a club that starts with a chunk of material whose substance doesn't change, but only the form. That's what I want in a racquet, but the issue for me is just committing to stepping up to that.

The Legend and Melbourne gave me that no-nonsense, integral, forged feel. And as good as the London is, it just seems, dare I say, "toyish" at times.

tball
01-11-2012, 01:12 PM
I had mine strung at mid-tension, and was not thrilled with it.
Nothing special.

Since then, I delegeted it to my pile of experimental recquets. For the sake of trial, I put in poly mains @39 lbs / syn crosses @ 41, and now it sings!

It is still not as precise as T10MP, and not as much spin, but feel and power have much improved, and I love it in this setup. I like it better than BB London. It does not have any glaring shortcomings. Ball response is uniform and predictable. But there are no wow factors that I could find.

To me, the ranking will be:
T10MP > PB10L (leaded) > BB Legend > BB London

I also find that it is a little too head-heavy/slow to swing. My backhand is better with 10-8 pt. HL racquets.

TennisMaverick
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
The reason why there is even any discussion with these sticks which are so similar, Legend/Melbourne, DNX 10 Mid/PB 10 Mid, is because the first rule is to have sticks customized to the player's personal specs. Unless you do that, the comparison between the two sticks will have too many variables involved, making said comparisons irrelevant .

Meaghan
01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I have no gripes with my Londons, as I've made them work for me through extensive mods. However, I just get discouraged when I look at all the lead that I've stretched all over the hoop and into the throat, etc. That, in addition to the "DC wings" on the sides of the hoop, with the same material acting like some sort of sleeve at the bottom of the throat, clearly distinguishable from the black graphite areas that constitute most of the racquet. Sometimes it reminds me, with all of its disparate parts and such, of one of my son's transformers. It seems that it should be able to just get up and walk off.

I realize that the Legend and Melbourne both have an integration of DC in them as well, but the integration does not diminish the "oneness" of the frame. For example, I still hit Kobra SS Forged irons. They're not as forgiving as most cavity-backed clubs that are two-piece and moulded, but there's something more solid about a club that starts with a chunk of material whose substance doesn't change, but only the form. That's what I want in a racquet, but the issue for me is just committing to stepping up to that.

The Legend and Melbourne gave me that no-nonsense, integral, forged feel. And as good as the London is, it just seems, dare I say, "toyish" at times.

Forged irons, I had seve's signature sticks, heaven, very small, scratch golf, it was the only way to go!

OldButGame
01-11-2012, 03:44 PM
I used to be kind of 'scared off' by talks of sticks being 'clunky' (esp the Legend),....but when I think back,...that was how I perceived the BB11 initially. That stick, the BB11 came to be my stick of choice for some time now,...either being an issue of adapting or whatever. The Legend has been catching my eye as the price drops.

TennisMaverick
01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
...that was how I perceived the BB11 initially. That stick, the BB11 came to be my stick of choice for some time now....

Because it was clunky.....

slowfox
01-11-2012, 07:41 PM
The Legend is my racquet of choice. I demoed about 10-12 frames before I decided to go with it. I was apprehensive at first, mainly because I wanted a more headlight frame in stock form. But in the end I chose it, nevertheless, for the soft (yet still crisp) feel and huge sweetspot, plus I like the thin beam width (not into "fat" racquets).

And not that it's relevant to playability, but I even like the paintjob. Sure it's bright orange, but from a graphic design standpoint it's actually kinda subtle and understated. But still very orange...

After several months of trying different setups with lead tape and various string tensions, I am finding my groove with this racquet. Not perfect yet as I'm still experimenting with a few things, but I now own three Legends, and don't plan on switching anytime soon.

And I don't mind that it's not a popular frame (I dunno, I've never seen anyone with any Becker frame on the public courts in NYC). Sometimes the Babolat geeks will kinda look down on it. But after I out rally them in some casual pickup tennis, some will inevitably ask again, "What kind of racquet is that?" And I'll simply say, "An orange one."

TennisMaverick
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
(I dunno, I've never seen anyone with any Becker frame on the public courts in NYC).

My guys are under the WillyB all the time....LES is the cool place to hang and play.

slowfox
01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
My guys are under the WillyB all the time....LES is the cool place to hang and play.

East River Park? Is that an invitation to come hang with you guys? :)