PDA

View Full Version : comparison of Blx 6.1 95 18x20 and Prestige/Radical Pro

madmutt
01-10-2012, 11:05 AM
Ok, Im going to try and make this short and sweet. I've been using the 6.1 for 2 years now and I'm a bit bored of it - so Im looking for a new stick.

For those of you who have played with the 6.1 95 AND either the youtek rad/restige pro - could you please compare racquets for me in terms of

Serving (in terms of power mainly, I have trouble generating enough pop on the first serve, especially after playing for a while, will the rad/perstige pro help here? )

Transitioning game (- i guess the rad will be the weakest here - a short, angled ball is quite big for my game)

Groundstrokes - I play with quite fast swings, I am guessing the radical may be too much of a trampoline for me here, I like the 6.1's control but maybe a little lacking in spin)

thanks a lot, where I live in the UK its pretty much impossible to get test racquets so thats why Im asking you guys !

Dreamliner
01-10-2012, 12:59 PM
The Radical Pro is a racquet that is very rewarding if you can handle the really hight SW and balance. Otherwise it will feel plain sluggish. By rewarding, this racquet will feel like butter/jelly and crisp when strung with a soft poly with out of the world feel and touch. Other benefits of course include control (less than the MP if you drive the ball more), amazing spin, plow through (soft poly) and ridiculous power. As Chris in the TW review for the IG model has suggested, this racquet does force you to play a bit more of a defensive/creative game because of its unique characteristics. As it is a Radical, a more forgiving response should be expected compare to the Prestige. Playability will certainly be an issue if your strings are spent as the up until now iteration of HEAD racquets, the YOUTEK models are known as being string sensitive. Dead strings in HEAD racquets= small sweet spots which can greatly affect stability among others. I don't know if this applies to the IG model. The IG models all seem to have larger sweet spots than their YOUTEK counterparts. Compare to your Wilson, I think the biggest differences you may have to get used to are handle shape and the string bed. The Radicals and Prestiges have incredibly feeling sweet spots that is when you strike it dead center. When getting a good crack at the ball and making contact on the sweet spot, you realize why HEAD racquet are so popular on the tour. It is an incredible sensation as you see the ball rocket to a target and at the same time feel the shaft of your racquet flex. The sweet spot's lushness is lost more and more the further you move out. The Radical Pro does have a large sweet spot though. Your Wilson on the other hand has a forgiving response but I don't recall it having a center that is capable of cradling and launching the ball like a catapult, I mean the "slinging sensation" you get with HEAD racquets and the Radicals in particular.

TaihtDuhShaat
01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
You'll get less power on 1st serves with the prestige mp than the 6.1. The prestige will give more curl to the groundstrokes which will help with tight angled topspin shots. Do you like a soft or crisp feel? 6.1 is crisper.

jedd
01-10-2012, 03:46 PM
stupid question, but do new heads have the same handle shape as previous versions?

madmutt
01-11-2012, 01:48 AM
so would I maybe have issues with groundstrokes going long with the rad pro? You seem to hint at it giving a lot of power so you have to stay a bit defensive....

I used to play with pure drives before, and while it served bombs, it always had trouble keeping my forehand in the court with aggressive strokes.

nikosrf
01-11-2012, 03:02 AM
the YOUTEK models are known as being string sensitive. Dead strings in HEAD racquets= small sweet spots which can greatly affect stability among others.

Which string do you think is the best for YT Prestige MP? a year and so ago i changed my gear to YT Prestiges, but the last 5-6 months my elbow is shore when i play with the prestige. I was looking to change raquettes. I bought from the forum 2 RDiS 200 but i didn't like them. They have too much power for me..when i play with them all my balls flying long. When i am switching to my Prestige my errors margin is going down.

Power Player
01-11-2012, 05:10 AM
so would I maybe have issues with groundstrokes going long with the rad pro? You seem to hint at it giving a lot of power so you have to stay a bit defensive....

I used to play with pure drives before, and while it served bombs, it always had trouble keeping my forehand in the court with aggressive strokes.

I think you may be ok because the Wilson 16x18 I have is very powerful and I think hits bigger than the Radical pro I had.

So if you can control the wilson, you should be fine....unless the 18x20 is just that much lower powered.