PDA

View Full Version : Recommended String Tension on HEAD IG Series

ruixing
01-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Hello all,

I have noticed that the recommended string tensions of the new IG lines (Prestige/Radical) are listed in the specifications as:
String Tension: 48-57 pounds

This is as opposed to:
String Tension: 52-62 pounds
on the YouTek line.

What could this mean?

RyKnocks
01-10-2012, 04:38 PM
I think this is to compensate for the extra stiffness that the IG material provides. Honestly, 62lbs on the Youtek racquets was already too high IMO.

ruixing
01-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, interestingly (and I'm only looking at the Prestige Mid in this case), the stiffness rating is exactly the same at 63.

I just ordered 4 Mids through HEAD's Preferred Program. I guess I'll string one at my normal tension (58-60) and one at 5lbs lower (53-55) and see how it feels.

I still use my Liquidmetal Prestiges with only one at "good" condition having cracked several through intercollegiate competition few years back. I didn't like the Flexpoint, Microgel, nor the Youtek, so I'm very excited to try these out after reading the review!

Bartelby
01-10-2012, 05:02 PM
Stiffness is measured in the throat so its a valid measurement, but doesn't tell you how stiff the whole racquet actually is or feels.

rich s
01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Hello all,

I have noticed that the recommended string tensions of the new IG lines (Prestige/Radical) are listed in the specifications as:
String Tension: 48-57 pounds

This is as opposed to:
String Tension: 52-62 pounds
on the YouTek line.

What could this mean?

Are the recommended strings of the Poly variety? Poly's are usually strung 10% lower than normal synthetics and 48-57 is approximately 10% lower than 52-62....

just a guess....

I was wondering the same thing..... even asked TW if it was a typo because all the IG racquets have the same recommended tension.....

I play with the MG Rad OS..... the new YT IG Rad OS is also 48-57..... there is no way on earth I could play with a Rad OS strung that low......

ruixing
01-12-2012, 10:58 AM
I think this is to compensate for the extra stiffness that the IG material provides. Honestly, 62lbs on the Youtek racquets was already too high IMO.

Thanks for that clarification!

Yeah, I'm going to have to playtest them and see. A pro that I work with recently started stringing at a much lower tension 45-50 and said it helped his game. He is a solid 5.5 and knows what he's talking about. I'll see if I can benefit from it. I've always liked 58-62 range.

ruixing
01-12-2012, 11:00 AM
Stiffness is measured in the throat so its a valid measurement, but doesn't tell you how stiff the whole racquet actually is or feels.

Oops, I meant to quote this one. Thanks!