PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my forehand? (video)

BirdWalkR
01-11-2012, 05:49 PM
My forehand just isn't as good as i think it could be. Idk I feel like theres a lack of power and consistency. Didn't hit too many particularly good forehands but it is what it is. Any suggestions?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xRglV8nXdo

westcoast777
01-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Too sedentary with the feet and not enough knee bend. Do those two things and I think you will experience a more consistent forehand.
Also pay attention to the things that lead to a deeper "pop" off the strings. Those are good. If the changes you make lead to deeper pop with equal or greater consistency, you're on the right track. Shanks are avoid at all costs.

MrCLEAN
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
In terms of lack of power, the most immediate thing I see is your use of huge topspin instead of hitting through the ball more. At the height you're taking the ball, you could be hitting quite flat, which would give you plenty of pace given the swing speed you're using.

Chyeaah
01-11-2012, 09:06 PM
more knee bend for more power. Have you tried flattening your grip more? Maybe a semiwestern? looks like your using a western.

10sLifer
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
My forehand just isn't as good as i think it could be. Idk I feel like theres a lack of power and consistency. Didn't hit too many particularly good forehands but it is what it is. Any suggestions?

I would just assume that you tend to shank some balls under pressure or have trouble in wind. I don't think that forearm whip is happening as a result of forces and being loose like the pros. Looks to me like your doing it with musculature. You will get just as much topspin if you used your upper link(Shoulder to elbow) all the way to contact. You'd have a bigger hitting zone and get more depth too. Did you know the ball can bounce up to four inches differently if it bounces on the seem Vs the felt?

Bagumbawalla
01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
I do not think it is a horrible forehand. It looks like you are trying to do the right things. It's just that you aren't doing them all perfectly.

And you are correct, consistency is your problem. You want to find that groove where you push off, uncoil, shift your weight and drive through the ball smoothly, striking the ball in the center of the strings at the exact right moment when everything comes together.

It looks like you are doing what you need to get there. You are practicing. Keep at it, but don't just go through the motions. Hit a few thousand more balls. with each ball, strive to set up in the proper position. As you stroke through the ball, try to feel the shifting of weight and direct the force into the ball.

In the beginning your results are bound to be mixed. You will also hit some good shots and will strive to hit more and more of the same. The more you practice,the more consistant you will become- consistant in a good way, and your power and accuracy will improve, as well.

Having said all that, if you are just starting out, I might agree with one of the previous posters. Your grip looks pretty "western" and, with the western, timing, driving through the ball, placing the ball-- all are more difficult than with a more moderate grip/stroke, which I, also, would suggest- until you master the basics.

Anyway, good luck, keep practicing.

MLB_MOB
01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
The grip is not the issue, you can hit flat with a western if you really step into the ball. The biggest thing is getting those "happy feet" under control. To me it looks like you are have a lot of needless steps, it looks more like jumping as opposed to well thought out foot movement. The 2 major things to work on are:

1) DO NOT MOVE WHEN HITTING YOUR SHOT!!!! I see your back foot lifting off before you even make contact that is a big no-no. keep those feet planted until you make contact.

2) Goes along with #1 because you are lifting your foot early you are opening your hips way to early and you lose a lot of power and consistency.

Focus on these things and it will greatly help. Your form is what it is, I dont see any major glaring issues. My coach (who ranked in the top 500) always preaches that better footwork and mental toughness will make you a better player

Cheetah
01-12-2012, 12:04 AM
woah.

1) lose the happy steps
2) hit off the back foot not the front foot like you're doing in most of those
3) you are using WAY too much arm. you are slapping the ball. slapping is not good. you want to drive the ball or punch it. like you're punching someone in the chest with the intent of knocking them down. but not by muscling it. derive the power from the ground up. you want to punch/drive THRU the ball. not slap it. listen to sound of your hits. slappy. sounds wimpy.
3) load on back leg with a bend, push up and turn hips and let the arm go. you should be using like idk... 10/20/30% arm. not 98% like you're doing now. your shots have no weight behind them.
4) slow down. relax. prepare. explode off the back foot. that's where the power should come from.

86golf
01-12-2012, 04:34 AM
* focus on pulling the buttcap into the ball a little longer. This will give you a bigger hitting window and more consistency

* On some shots, you open a little early (I think if you do the above, will help with this one)

Your taking some pretty good cuts at the ball and you can't hit 4' over the net unless you are Nadal at that pace. You need to find a more consistent height over the net that matches your swing speed and spin.

ho
01-12-2012, 05:28 AM
You hit with your arm, just a classic beginner mechanic: rotate body and whip the arm, if it out, go to more W grip.
It does not work that way, and it will never work until you decide which way you want to hit: your body (WTA) or your arm (ATP). After that, have slow motion of a pro that you like, then study it carefully every simple detail of it and emulate them, change what you feel like but keep the basic:
Hit THRUUU the ball and keep reading this forum until you know what you doing.

pushing_wins
01-12-2012, 11:11 AM

arms city

do a search for dozu's thread on this subject area

The Wreck
01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
Incorporating the rest of your body, especially the torso will definitely help you get more drive. But I really think your whole swing plane is just too loopy. You're taking a huge cut at the ball but if you played someone good, they're going to just tee off on those high bouncing balls that don't seem to land beyond midcourt. Gotta make a concerted effort to swing THROUGH the ball, and you'll have fewer mishits and harder shots.

stormholloway
01-14-2012, 08:35 PM
woah.

1) lose the happy steps
2) hit off the back foot not the front foot like you're doing in most of those
3) you are using WAY too much arm. you are slapping the ball. slapping is not good. you want to drive the ball or punch it. like you're punching someone in the chest with the intent of knocking them down. but not by muscling it. derive the power from the ground up. you want to punch/drive THRU the ball. not slap it. listen to sound of your hits. slappy. sounds wimpy.
3) load on back leg with a bend, push up and turn hips and let the arm go. you should be using like idk... 10/20/30% arm. not 98% like you're doing now. your shots have no weight behind them.
4) slow down. relax. prepare. explode off the back foot. that's where the power should come from.

Listen to this guy.