PDA

View Full Version : Which racquet do you see most people playing with?

jaybear1909
01-11-2012, 07:52 PM
Personally, I see more people using the Prince. Granted it may be because I own one and now I'm on the look-out, but I've definitely noticed a ton of people rocking this stick. I've also seen a lot of Wilson SixOne ProStaffs since they came out.

Howboutyou?

ArliHawk
01-11-2012, 08:15 PM
Brands? Seems like Prince for me, too at my club. Or are you talking about model?

RNBABOLAT
01-11-2012, 08:40 PM
The babolat aero pro drive in all of the vatiations from childs to old mans always at least five people have this racquet at any time im going to play awful racquet

ZeroSkid
01-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Wilson, Head, and Babolat as always

Fuji
01-11-2012, 08:52 PM
APDGT/Cortex, BLX90, Pure Drives.

That's what 75% of the people I see use these days. A few Dunlops and even fewer Prince, and that is about it. :)

-Fuji

Xizel
01-11-2012, 08:53 PM
Radical, from LM to YT. And AeroPro Drive.

in_ten_city
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Out of the 14 guys I regularly hit with, 7 play w/ Babolat (4 being Pure Drives); 6 play with Head; and one with Prince. One time I hit with someone who had a wilson, and I play with Dunlop. Nothing exotic out there on my courts sorry to say.

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Head, Wilson and Dunlop here, not so many Babolats and rarely ever see a Prince. I think I ma probably the only player in my area using a Yonex, super rare here!.

tennisinAZ
01-11-2012, 09:20 PM
brand wise I think wilson after babolat

Chyeaah
01-11-2012, 09:40 PM
APD, Pure Drives, You also see an increase in V-Core 100S.

Basically at teen level. Puredrives and its clones.

rufusbgood
01-11-2012, 09:52 PM
Since 01/11/2011, stringings by brand in my shop.

Wilson 29%
Head 24%
Babolat 18.5%
Prince 12.5%
Dunlop 4.5%
Volkl 3%

#1 Racquet --- Babolat Pure Drive GT @ 2.7%

CLL
01-11-2012, 09:54 PM
Babolat variants for sure.

Every person I play seems to use one.

j00dypoo
01-11-2012, 10:04 PM
I see everything, including a lot of random older racquets. But most often it's k6.1, blx, and lots of pure drives. ugh....

KenC
01-12-2012, 12:40 AM
I play at a pretty serious club with around 300+ members here in Milan. What people play with seems to depend on their level. For example, the club offers "Tennis School" for the teen crowd after school and you can just bet that every year 10 new kids will show up dressed all in Nike including the bandana and sporting a brand new APDGT strung with RPM Blast. They provide great entertainment for the regulars and the Pros and usually quit before December. 3-4 years ago those kids showed up with the K90 and all Nike and quit before December. This year there was one who showed up all in Sergio Tacchini sporting a Speed 18x20. I think he quit already. At the more serious beginner levels the Radical and the Pure Drive are very popular.

At the intermediate levels I see just about all the common racquets from the major manufacturers with the Pure Drive GT and the APDGT being popular. I think the most used brand must be Head.

Interestingly, at the more advanced levels the most popular racquet is the Blade Tour hands down. Of the 30 or so at the advanced levels at least 10 are using it. What is really odd is that they also only play on clay. The Wilson 95s are also very popular. The Head Prestige racquets are very popular and a few use the older pre-cortex Pure Drives. There is this crazy lefty who uses the PLSGT but he is the only player in a 200km radius that uses that racquet. A few use the k90 and occasionally you see a BLX90 here and there.

What amazes me is that the KBT is the racquet of choice for the killer clay courters. Explain that one. I also play 10 or so tournaments during the summer months and notice the prevalence of the Wilson player racquets, followed by the Head player racquets. You would think that in Italy where tennis is played on clay you would find almost all Babolats, but it is just not the case. At the advanced levels Wilson and Head are more popular than Babolat.

Maui19
01-12-2012, 04:29 AM
At my club, Babolat for sure, followed by Prince. Then a mixture of Head and Wilson.

Adidas_Anderson
01-12-2012, 04:48 AM
babolats.... Pure drive and APD.
Head Radicals as well.
dont see much prestige..

mmk
01-12-2012, 04:55 AM
At my club the kids all seem to have Babolats, most of the retirees have big Heads (racquets, that is), and in between there is a mix of Babolats and Wilsons with the occasional Yonex, Volkl and Dunlop (or maybe I'm the only one with the latter).

TimothyO
01-12-2012, 04:59 AM
Babolat. Especially the Aero series.

Seems like every middle aged guy with a wristy, flicking forehand uses the APDGT with full poly.

They hit with lots of spin, low pace, and tend to be inconsistent as they try to violently arm everything. First serve can be fast IF they get it in but they usually miss and their second serve is a dinking waiter serve.

ThomasTerrible
01-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Lots of Babolats, some Dunlops, a few Wilsons and a mix of the rest.

Torres
01-12-2012, 05:06 AM
Depends what level you're talking about. Amongst the top level juniors that I see, Babolat seems to dominant, particularly PDs and APDs.

newton296
01-12-2012, 05:07 AM
babalots for sure, 1 in 3 at my club hit with them. never seen so many people use the same racquets except maybe when wilson was popular back in the 80's when everyone had a wilson pro staff original or pog.

the exo tours, wilson and yonex's are coming on strong lately. seen a few k tours and blx pro opens. but I haven't seen hyde nor hair of donnay or volkl at my club. I rarely spot a dunlop.

Andreas1965
01-12-2012, 05:43 AM
Microgel Radical MP in my town, and many, many Wilson Blade98, K and BLX. Micro Rad maybe because it is on discount everywhere and considered a "racquet to fit everyone's need". Never understood that, for me the Rad MP is a terrible racquet.

All juniors seem to swing a PD or APD, among adults you'll see hardly noone playing a Babolat racquet. Head and Wilson dominate.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.453232,7.005954

USS Tang
01-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Not to be disrespectful, but isn't the underlying theme of this thread "monkey see, monkey do"?

chollyred
01-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Babolat, Head, Prince, then Wilson. Will occasionally see a Technifibre or Fischer. Rarely do I see Dunlop or Yonex.

100" sizes are dominated by Babolat. Oversize by Head (mostly seniors), then Prince.

Still lots of older racquets being used around here. If there was a decent tennis shop around here, there'd probably be a lot of newer racquets bought. About the only place close by is Sports Authority. I know of very few people that actually buy online. Decent used racquets bring premium prices.

li0scc0
01-12-2012, 05:56 AM
Depends on age and gender and 'ability'

General Juniors (high school age): Babolat Aero Pro Drive
Top Flite Juniors (high school age): Wilson 6.1 or Prince EXO3 Tour or Pure Storm GT
Adult Men: Babolat Pure Drive
Adult Women 3.5+: Prince White or Prince Black or Prince Black Team
Adult Women 3.0 or Senior Women: Oversized Prince or Head

SteveI
01-12-2012, 06:08 AM
Pure Drive, Pure Drive, Pure Drive

un6a
01-12-2012, 06:46 AM
I see Babolat and Wilson most. Then Head and then Prince. Rarely see other brands around. No surprise, marketing works.

Justin-JP
01-12-2012, 07:10 AM
Here in Japan, it's mostly Yonex and Wilson with a few Babs and Heads but little of anything else. Dunlop did a big push last year at the local club but their frames were not well received.

The market is very much orientated towards lighter 10 - 11.5oz frames and Yonex (being Japanese) and Wilson fit that profile better than most. You still see some APDGT's among adults but virtually no Pure Drives. The juniors are nearly all using Yonex.

mxmx
01-12-2012, 07:16 AM
I play at a pretty serious club with around 300+ members here in Milan. What people play with seems to depend on their level. For example, the club offers "Tennis School" for the teen crowd after school and you can just bet that every year 10 new kids will show up dressed all in Nike including the bandana and sporting a brand new APDGT strung with RPM Blast. They provide great entertainment for the regulars and the Pros and usually quit before December. 3-4 years ago those kids showed up with the K90 and all Nike and quit before December. This year there was one who showed up all in Sergio Tacchini sporting a Speed 18x20. I think he quit already. At the more serious beginner levels the Radical and the Pure Drive are very popular.

At the intermediate levels I see just about all the common racquets from the major manufacturers with the Pure Drive GT and the APDGT being popular. I think the most used brand must be Head.

Interestingly, at the more advanced levels the most popular racquet is the Blade Tour hands down. Of the 30 or so at the advanced levels at least 10 are using it. What is really odd is that they also only play on clay. The Wilson 95s are also very popular. The Head Prestige racquets are very popular and a few use the older pre-cortex Pure Drives. There is this crazy lefty who uses the PLSGT but he is the only player in a 200km radius that uses that racquet. A few use the k90 and occasionally you see a BLX90 here and there.

What amazes me is that the KBT is the racquet of choice for the killer clay courters. Explain that one. I also play 10 or so tournaments during the summer months and notice the prevalence of the Wilson player racquets, followed by the Head player racquets. You would think that in Italy where tennis is played on clay you would find almost all Babolats, but it is just not the case. At the advanced levels Wilson and Head are more popular than Babolat.

I think the prince exo tour 100 would be the ideal claycourters racket...just my opinion. Even though counterpunching is not really my game, i think this racket really suits it...I would really reccommend it for claycourters wanting to add height and spin...

KenC
01-12-2012, 08:16 AM
I think the prince exo tour 100 would be the ideal claycourters racket...just my opinion. Even though counterpunching is not really my game, i think this racket really suits it...I would really reccommend it for claycourters wanting to add height and spin...

I don't see it here much, and I am looking around for one to try out to see how the flexibility plays. It is a bit light for hardcore clay court players who need to hit really hard since the ball slows down a lot on clay. Many people think that a lot of spin wins on clay but you really need a lot of spin with a whole lot of power to dominate a point on clay. It gets very easy to just go in and take the ball on the rise if there is no power behind it.

Steve Huff
01-15-2012, 11:05 PM
Men--Babolat PDs, Boys--Babolat APDs, Women--Wilson (lots of n3 OSs), girls--Prince and Babolats

gavna
01-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Men - Babolats, Wilson, Prince then Head
Women - Babolat, Prince with Wilson then Head

Juniors are dominated by Babolat with Wilson but more and more Prince

THESEXPISTOL
01-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Radicals MP from Liquidmetal to YTK. Lots of Head Extreme too from MG to YTK. There are also a lot of Babolat PD.

chrisberchris
01-16-2012, 07:47 AM
I see lots of Babolat and Wilson. I see Dunlop and Yonex too though.

movdqa
01-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Wilson, Head, Babolat. The Babolat is remarkable in that you can't buy it retail in our area. I know two players that use Dunlop and one that uses Prince. The local retail stores generally carry Wilson, Head and Prince.

lim
01-16-2012, 08:40 AM
aeros, mg extremes, mg radicals.

thug the bunny
01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
Too many Roddick and Nadal elbow wreckers out there. People can be like lemmings sometimes..

Shellovic
01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
APDC, then Pure Drive, then comes the Blade 98 I guess. It's hard to find some Head or Technifibre and Dunlop. No Prince, Yonex and Pro Kennex at all.

gramdacious
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
At my club it is predominantly Wilson followed by Babolat. I am amazed at the number of Wilsons comparatively. People look at my Prestige and are like "what is that"?