PDA

View Full Version : Yonex vcore 100s thoughts

Jamesm182
01-12-2012, 02:45 AM
I recently bought and played with the yonex vcore 100s , after reading some thoughts / reviews on the performance of it , here on TW.

After playing with it i thought i would post my own thoughts.

Firstly the racket came pre strung with yonex' flash yellow/green poly. The feel was horrible and the stirng bed was dead in some places, and like a rocket launcher in others.
I strung it up to my preferred setup (black venom main/ spiral flex cross) at 52/54, and hit the courts for a couple hours.

The performance of the frame greatly improved (suggesting this frame is quite string sensitive), as did the feel.

However i feel as though some aspects have been oversold. The racket didnt seem particularly to have a lot of power. Certainly no more so than the Tecnifibres i currently use (which i dont consider to be overly powerful), and i didnt find the control to be as good.

The stiffness difference was noticeable only on off centre hits when i noticed a slight jarring sensation the next day in my wrist. In terms of shot characteristics i didnt notice an increase in spin, which is what this frame is primarily marketed as.

So far i havent painted the best picture of the frame, but by no means is it a poor racket.

On serves it seemed to be easy enough to hit spin/flat, and placement was okay.
i played against quite a big hitter, with a serve comfortably over 100mph, and didnt think it had the same sort of stability as the tecnifibres i use, but it still wasnt flimsy.
At net it seemed to be easy enough to place shots where i wanted.

These are just my thoughts, anyone else's opinions would be greatly appreciated also.

Shaochieh
01-12-2012, 03:35 AM
I have the 95D and it plays well. The power is there when I need it but it is very muted racket. I hybrid Gamma Professional with Pro Line 2 with very good results but the Gamma string last only 3 hours before it snapped. The combination produced touch, feel, and control power. Most of the powerful polys will have a higher trajectory and I don't play with spin much. I have to change my game for the racket if I play full poly. I hope you would find a good combination with that racket.

Jamesm182
01-12-2012, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the response, I love the strings I have currently as they give me power comfort spin touch and durability , can last upwards of 10 hours .. Whereas with most non ploys I can snap in under 2 hours ...

Again by no means am I saying its a poor racket , just that it is not better in any department than my current frames

zcarzach
01-12-2012, 04:22 AM
My favorite of the V Core series is easily the 98. The 95 comes close, but I agree with the assessment that the 100 is on the flimsy side. I didn't enjoy returning big serves or hitting big groundies with it.

Shaochieh
01-12-2012, 04:40 AM
Thanks for the response, I love the strings I have currently as they give me power comfort spin touch and durability , can last upwards of 10 hours .. Whereas with most non ploys I can snap in under 2 hours ...

Again by no means am I saying its a poor racket , just that it is not better in any department than my current frames

Totally understand the racket may not have as my plow as you like. I think put some lead under the head guard and a leather grip might help. In additional some lead on 3 and 9 on that stick might help a bit too. Might help a bit on feel to soft the racket up a bit. For my game I think I should use a 98D but 95D came at a good price and I have enough time to hit the ball on clay during the summer months. The carpet is way too fast and I have to catch up with the ball just right to get control.

What surface are you playing right now?

Jamesm182
01-12-2012, 04:56 AM
I currently play and coach mainly on AstroTurf , but can play indoors on hard court quite frequently, and also tournents depending on when they are . I thought about adding a bit of lead , but like the light whippy feeling of my tecnifibres , although a heavier ball would be nice..
The way I play I don't really need any extra power

un6a
01-12-2012, 05:35 AM
I recently bought and played with the yonex vcore 100s , after reading some thoughts / reviews on the performance of it , here on TW.

After playing with it i thought i would post my own thoughts.

Firstly the racket came pre strung with yonex' flash yellow/green poly. The feel was horrible and the stirng bed was dead in some places, and like a rocket launcher in others.
I strung it up to my preferred setup (black venom main/ spiral flex cross) at 52/54, and hit the courts for a couple hours.

The performance of the frame greatly improved (suggesting this frame is quite string sensitive), as did the feel.

However i feel as though some aspects have been oversold. The racket didnt seem particularly to have a lot of power. Certainly no more so than the Tecnifibres i currently use (which i dont consider to be overly powerful), and i didnt find the control to be as good.

The stiffness difference was noticeable only on off centre hits when i noticed a slight jarring sensation the next day in my wrist. In terms of shot characteristics i didnt notice an increase in spin, which is what this frame is primarily marketed as.

So far i havent painted the best picture of the frame, but by no means is it a poor racket.

On serves it seemed to be easy enough to hit spin/flat, and placement was okay.
i played against quite a big hitter, with a serve comfortably over 100mph, and didnt think it had the same sort of stability as the tecnifibres i use, but it still wasnt flimsy.
At net it seemed to be easy enough to place shots where i wanted.

These are just my thoughts, anyone else's opinions would be greatly appreciated also.

It is funny that you expected more power and spin from Vcore 100 S than from T-fight. I have new T-fight 295 and both power and spin are on par with most 100 inch tweeners, but with much better directional control. Also T-fight feels pretty solid and stable on off center shots for it's weight and size, so there is really no surprise it outperform VCore 100S.
That said, i would definitely try add some lead to your Yonex to beef up power and plow. But if you want something closer to Tecnifibre in stock, both 95D and 98D are better options as other posters noted.

Jamesm182
01-12-2012, 07:26 AM
I still have 3 tecnifibres remaining and might just sell the yonex and get the 2012 version of the tecnifibre , what type of playing style do you have? What I like about the tecnifibre is that it forces u to swing through on every shot , and as you say the directional control is great , really nice frame and a bit underrated because of the weight

Shaochieh
01-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Put some lead below 3 and 9 around 5 and 7 closer to the throat area and try to keep the headlight. Put some lead in the handle to offset it if you have to. I think you will find more plow. I think you would love 98D than 100S.

un6a
01-12-2012, 08:13 AM
I still have 3 tecnifibres remaining and might just sell the yonex and get the 2012 version of the tecnifibre , what type of playing style do you have? What I like about the tecnifibre is that it forces u to swing through on every shot , and as you say the directional control is great , really nice frame and a bit underrated because of the weight

I'm mostly baseliner, semiwestern long fast forehand and 2h backhand.
I played with my new Tec only 2 session so far, and i think this stick have very good potential. I really like it for groundstrokes from both sides.
Prior i have played with Rdis 100 MP which is very good allround racquet, but i wanted something lighter.

Ocean Breeze Sunset
01-12-2012, 04:33 PM
i have this racquet too, and i agree with your experience. this is definitely NOT a racquet to play in stock form. you MUST customize this thing and it will become an amazing stick. i hate it in stock form (no power, no stability, no plow through, feels too light), but when i leaded it up, it is a great racquet and i love it! :) mine is leaded up to 12 oz and has the heavy feel i like, the plow through, the stability, everything, and it fits my game perfectly.

cheers!

tennistomcat
01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
I agree with Ocean Sunset that the stock form of this racket leaves alot to be desired but the feel & control is there - it's just so light for my taste but that's why I bought is so I could customize it. I really liked the prestige pro but it was too heavy so this seemed like a good alternative.

I'm still customizing my racket & it's feeling more solid. I feel it's good leaded up in the hoop at 3, 9, & 12 but just lacking some stability still (a solid feel) - especially when I'm on the defensive & am not able to get all my weight on the shot like on a running 2hbh.
It's a good racket for me as I feel it's got great touch, control, & good but not crazy access to spin. To me it's like a muted Aeropro but with feel & better placement control. I really liked the aero but I was a baseliner with it because I didn't feel confident in my net game due to lack of feel.

This racket like many I've tried takes some warming up to it. Had to learn to hit differently to adjust to it. Now, with lead & 17 gauge poly at the right tension, I'm getting good power.

another link with feedback on the 100s.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=404728&highlight=vcore+100s

Chyeaah
01-12-2012, 11:20 PM
What do you expect. A 98D which is much heavier than the 100s will obviously be more stable. Lead it up and customize it to what your normal specs are and you'll find that extra pop. The 100S imho has wicked spin, similar to the APDGT, except much more forgiving when you flatten your shots.

Depending on your level, ive seen 3.5s and 4.0s do fine with it in stock form.

Also @ tennistomcat, hows the bit of lead at 12 feel? You get that extra plow and power.

tennistomcat
01-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Hi Chyeaah,
Haven't gotten the chance to hit with it again yet since it's been so cold. Houston weather has been so fickle lately.

One day it's not too bad, next day almost near freezing temps. I'll let u know how it works out. I'm gonna stick with it a lil longer this time around

Chyeaah
01-14-2012, 12:24 AM
I'd rather play at those temps than at 35-40 degrees here in sydney, unless its negative over there.

g4driver
01-16-2012, 03:29 AM
What do you expect. A 98D which is much heavier than the 100s will obviously be more stable.

Chyeaah, there you go again letting facts take a backseat to your opinion.:mad:

The 98D is 5 grams heavier than a 100S. Please stop posting crap like "much heavier" when referring to 5 grams difference in weight. Your time would better spent in the gym and lifting weights. If you think 5 grams is "much heavier", you are in serious need of a strength coach.

There are 28 grams per ounce, so the 98D outweighs the 100S by the weight of a 5 gram overgrip.

You are an easy target kid. Like fish in a barrel.

rlamb101
01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
This stick is easy to customize and make it more stable, more plow through and more fun.

Add one strip of lead tape 5" to 10" long in the throat. I would start with 5" and see how that feels for you. But the weight in the throat will preserver the control while enhancing the feel and stability...all without compromising the balance.

Use you pinky finger to push the folder single strip down on the inside of the throat.

I used an eight inch strip of yonex lead tape and it raised this from an overall impression of 7.5 to a 9.0 for me on that one change.

Chyeaah
01-24-2012, 03:04 PM
Chyeaah, there you go again letting facts take a backseat to your opinion.:mad:

The 98D is 5 grams heavier than a 100S. Please stop posting crap like "much heavier" when referring to 5 grams difference in weight. Your time would better spent in the gym and lifting weights. If you think 5 grams is "much heavier", you are in serious need of a strength coach.

There are 28 grams per ounce, so the 98D outweighs the 100S by the weight of a 5 gram overgrip.

You are an easy target kid. Like fish in a barrel.

My 100S without lead is 312 grams, when i tried the v-core 98 it was 323 grams. Without a dampener without an OG, same strings PSGD when i demoed.

Which is an extra 10 grams or so. I weigh all the sticks I demo. When i play i play for around 5 hours at a time (2 hours practice wall, 1.5 hours rallying, 1,5 hours match) since i demoed in the holidays, I could feel the extra strength needed to swing the 98 and holding the racquet seemed abit heavier than i wanted.

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-24-2012, 03:53 PM
This stick is easy to customize and make it more stable, more plow through and more fun.

Add one strip of lead tape 5" to 10" long in the throat. I would start with 5" and see how that feels for you. But the weight in the throat will preserver the control while enhancing the feel and stability...all without compromising the balance.

Use you pinky finger to push the folder single strip down on the inside of the throat.

I used an eight inch strip of yonex lead tape and it raised this from an overall impression of 7.5 to a 9.0 for me on that one change.

Interesting to know where you get Yonex lead tape, I didn't know they made that as well.

julian
01-24-2012, 03:59 PM
Interesting to know where you get Yonex lead tape, I didn't know they made that as well.

More interesting question is-
how to get 2012 Vcore rackets in US?
One of them is called Vcore Speed

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-24-2012, 04:22 PM
More interesting question is-
how to get 2012 Vcore rackets in US?
One of them is called Vcore Speed

I didn't even know there are new VCores.

Where is it??

Info??

Chyeaah
01-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Its just a 100S with a thinner beam and other soft tennis v-cores.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/news/2012/01/1201161400.html

Its basically a new grip, and a more aerodynamic beam.

tennistomcat
01-24-2012, 07:47 PM
I'd rather play at those temps than at 35-40 degrees here in sydney, unless its negative over there.

Hi Chyeaah.
Got a few hits with the lead placement @ 12 o'clock again & stuck with it longer. Racket's playing much better. still tweaking with how much to add but put the 2g @ 12 again & I've gotten much better results on the counter-punch & running backhand shots. Able to block back shots with better control & depth - easier to re-direct.

Seeing how it goes & wondering if this is good or if more weight needs to be added but so far so good. Of course have to change swing path a bit to add more topsin on the ball since balls are flying a little more.

Thanks for convincing me to give it another go.

Chyeaah
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Yea on the 100S it's pretty easy to hit the ball out if your not adding spin to the ball. But the good thing is that it's so easy to add spin to the ball. If your still getting your shots out go with a lower powered poly.

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-25-2012, 02:40 PM
Its just a 100S with a thinner beam and other soft tennis v-cores.

http://www.yonex.co.jp/news/2012/01/1201161400.html

Its basically a new grip, and a more aerodynamic beam.

Thanks for the link.

They look ugly and too light, of course they may be good for beginners , maybe pure drives with better quality and feel.

shogun90
02-20-2012, 04:53 AM
I have 5 100S'. 1 bought from Hong Kong and the others bought from members here. With all of them strung and with OG's the weights are 320, 321, 322, 321, 322. How's that for QC? The one from Hong Kong is the only one that does not have "US" painted near the sticker. I have played my best tennis with these racquets. I predominately play doubles. I'm think of replacing the grips with Babolat leather grips to get them aroung 330 grams strung.

Chyeaah
02-20-2012, 11:42 AM
I have 5 100S'. 1 bought from Hong Kong and the others bought from members here. With all of them strung and with OG's the weights are 320, 321, 322, 321, 322. How's that for QC? The one from Hong Kong is the only one that does not have "US" painted near the sticker. I have played my best tennis with these racquets. I predominately play doubles. I'm think of replacing the grips with Babolat leather grips to get them aroung 330 grams strung.

Mines 324, because i have the rubber thing that goes on your grip and the heavier yonex vib damp this i measured before lead.

Nostradamus
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
What do you guys think about 100S ? i have been using the RDIS 100 midplus for a while now but thinking about switching to this frame. need little more powerful frame than RDIS with more powerful serving racket. How does racket serve ? Is it as good of serving racket as babolat pure drives which i consider as the best serving racket in the market ? Thank you

Chyeaah
03-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Let me put it this way. Playtest.

syke
03-12-2012, 11:15 AM
i have this racquet too, and i agree with your experience. this is definitely NOT a racquet to play in stock form. you MUST customize this thing and it will become an amazing stick. i hate it in stock form (no power, no stability, no plow through, feels too light), but when i leaded it up, it is a great racquet and i love it! :) mine is leaded up to 12 oz and has the heavy feel i like, the plow through, the stability, everything, and it fits my game perfectly.

cheers!

Hi Ocean Breeze Sunset,

Need your help on this... How did you get your 100s to 12.1oz, SW 335, 7pts HL?

I swopped the grip with a Fairway leather grip, added lead at the handle & 3 & 9. Got mine at 12.45oz, SW330, 5 pts HL. I have been trying to bring up the the SW and HL while keeping it at 12.3oz but to no avail.

Care to share your setup?

wrainsberger
09-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Just ran across this thread while searching for more information on the Vcore 100s, as it is one of two rackets that I am considering. Since most of these posts are a few months old; how do you feel about this racket after playing with it for awhile now? Also, what is your favorite string set up?

I demoed this racket, strung with Tour Super 850 @58+/- this past weekend. I really enjoyed the racket, which I thought that I wouldn't due to the head shape. I was able to hit some nice shots with plenty of pace and spin. Wife mentioned that it appeared that I could hit all shots with the racket. I have to say, it did impress me.

Mrsbrownsboys
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
I use the 100s with pacific gut/msv at 56/52lbs. The spin is off the scale...I've added a 4g of lead at 9 and 3...I'm struggling to beleive there's a better stick for me but intrigued by the 98d, 97 tour and 95d
The gut/poly setup in my best discovery in 6 years of playing and it's running into its 7th week of use. I think it only halfway through its life too..

I've tried so many rackets I can't remember but aero pro, pure drive, purestorm (my favourite babolat), prestige, radical mp, speed mp, various yonex the ezone 100 I have in the bag....the 98 ezone looks a good fit too...
I have the tecnifibre 295 but wrong grip and crap string. I've ordered the 320 as I must admit they do feel pretty solid at impact which is the only minor gripe about the yonex...it does feel slightly unstable without that thump some rackets give

wrainsberger
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
I use the 100s with pacific gut/msv at 56/52lbs. The spin is off the scale...I've added a 4g of lead at 9 and 3...I'm struggling to beleive there's a better stick for me but intrigued by the 98d, 97 tour and 95d
The gut/poly setup in my best discovery in 6 years of playing and it's running into its 7th week of use. I think it only halfway through its life too..

I've tried so many rackets I can't remember but aero pro, pure drive, purestorm (my favourite babolat), prestige, radical mp, speed mp, various yonex the ezone 100 I have in the bag....the 98 ezone looks a good fit too...
I have the tecnifibre 295 but wrong grip and crap string. I've ordered the 320 as I must admit they do feel pretty solid at impact which is the only minor gripe about the yonex...it does feel slightly unstable without that thump some rackets give

I did a quick demo of the 98D and I was dumping balls into the net or sailing them. I didn't take much time with it, as I had several that I wanted to put my hands on and take a few cuts at the ball. If they didn't feel right from the first couple of swings, more than likely I won't care for it down the line. I was much like this when I was younger and played a lot. I tried the Xi 100, WOW too much... as everything was sailing. I was shocked when I picked up the 100s and it just felt right. I didn't notice the instability, but I was hitting against my 15yr old son. So no shock as he can rarely hit a really heavy ball.

The Roddick Pure Drive was another finalist for me as well as the Head Instinct MP. I really felt all three of these had some great aspects. But the thin frame/ light weight of the Head worries me that it too will be unstable. The RPD drawback is the stiffness, I'm concerned with it over time causing my elbow to act up. The Yonex seemed to just fit the bill. I haven't had the ability to lay my hands on any of the technifibre frames, not too familiar with them.

I'll probably stay with either a soft multi or a hybrid or gut/ multi to keep the elbow happy. This frame didn't feel anywhere near as stiff as its rating, which is a good thing for me.

Is everyone else happy with their 100s?

agu
12-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Confortable racquet, great power, however ball tends to fly more than i would like to. I have strung it at 51 lbs, should i take it higher?