PDA

View Full Version : Michael McClune?

subtleskeptics
07-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Have you guys heard of 15 year-old Michael McClune? I have been watching him for a while now, and it seems as if he's starting to get the big wins. I first saw him at a C.I.F high school individuals match (southern california high thing), where he made it all the way to the semifinals as a freshman. This year, he won the prestigious Ojai tournament and proceeded to take the C.I.F title as well.

But the thing that has REALLY astonished me is that last week, he beat out current USC #1 and former USTA #1 Jamil-Al-Agba 6-2, 6-4 in the Mercedes Ben Cup Los Angeles Prequalifying. Not stopping there, he also beat another one of USC's top players, Kaes Van't Hof, in the finals. HE'S ONLY 15!!! I'm really hoping to see him make it past the qualifying draw this weekend and land in the main draw. It'll show that Donald Young isn't the only young one getting big wins.

Well, keep an eye out for him...he'll be coming up with some big results soon.

atatu
07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Didn't he come up with the "global village" concept ? Sorry, bad joke, I haven't heard of him, but those are great wins, so I'll keep an eye out.

tennisboy87
07-18-2005, 03:00 PM
I remember him making a nice run at the Zoo last year. He made it to the quarters last year for the Boys 16s at the USTA National Tennis Championships.

Shaolin
07-18-2005, 10:48 PM
Thats a good win over Al-Agba. Do you have a link to the pre qualies draw you can post?

subtleskeptics
07-19-2005, 02:26 AM
Thats a good win over Al-Agba. Do you have a link to the pre qualies draw you can post?

here's the draw...http://www.tennisinformation.com/tourny/5/1/5/8/5/4/7/draw-1-mf.asp

Shaolin
07-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Thx Subtle....

ty slothrop
07-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Didn't he come up with the "global village" concept ? Sorry, bad joke, I haven't heard of him, but those are great wins, so I'll keep an eye out.

I think that was rue mclanahan. or, wait, was it marshall mathers?

eric
07-19-2005, 07:30 PM
Marshall McLuhan

Bertchel Banks
07-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Troy McLure.

BankOfDad
07-19-2005, 09:50 PM
My daughter played mixed doubles with him in '03 (so he was 13 and she was 15) at the USTA Zonals competition for the SoCal team (it was in Salt Lake City, Utah). They were an awesome pair (she's the rare serve-and-volley girl). Mikey's dad was super nice and really well balanced about the whole junior tennis deal. He set me up bigtime with the process of looking for a college. The older sister had just gotten a full ride to Pepperdine for volleyball and he told me it was time to start a "marketing campaign" for my daughter. He e-mailed me samples of her resume, letters to coaches, response to coaches letters, etc. to get me started. By the way, she's (my daughter) leaving next month for the University of Wisconsin-Madison on a full ride.

Mikey is a really nice kid, humble, decent human being. I rarely see the boys play because the tournaments schedule boys and girls at different times (and sometimes different sites altogether) so I haven't seen him play lately. But I was just talking about him to one of the boys last week and they said he was now huge and plays a huge game. Good for him. I'm glad to hear it.