PDA

View Full Version : training to read players and ball direction

webbeing
01-12-2012, 10:38 AM
Hello,

Does anyone happen to know a set of images where a person can look at a player photos and guess the direction of the ball that player is hitting? The idea is to look at a bunch of these photos to train to read body language to get an early read on the ball.

Many thanks.

BU-Tennis
01-12-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm glad you asked this because I was just about to start a thread. I've gotten used to reading service tosses and knowing which type of spin I will get, and learning to read the difference between a slice and drive backhand, but I haven't gotten a handle of determining where the ball will be hit by just looking at body positioning.

Off The Wall
01-12-2012, 12:54 PM
Hello,

Does anyone happen to know a set of images where a person can look at a player photos and guess the direction of the ball that player is hitting? The idea is to look at a bunch of these photos to train to read body language to get an early read on the ball.

Many thanks.

You won't find any because not only can you hit a ball using vastly differing stances. You can hit the ball CC or DTL using any of those stances as well.

charliefedererer
01-13-2012, 10:27 AM
Some players are actually quite predictable where they are going to hit based on how they approach the ball. During warm up and early in the match pay attention to this.

But most learn to hit the ball to different positions from a similar stance.

So more a more productive use of your time would be to recover as quickly as possible to a neutral position after your last shot [provided you did not have a short ball you can follow to the net], and coming out of a split step each and every time your opponent hits the ball.

Coming out of your split step you should be looking at your opponent/ball, so that you are ready to push off in whatever the direction the ball is being hit to.

As soon as the ball is hit, devote all your attention on tracking the ball, refining your estimation of exactly where it will land as quickly as possible so you can get to the best striking position.

If you hit a very forcing shot, recover to a position closer to the baseline or even inside the baseline, anticipating a weaker response.

joesucks
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks charliefederer it was a good synopsis .. one other thing I have a huge problem besides judging the ball direction is ... lot more times when i get to the anticipated position of the ball the various spins and the slicers that kill the bounce.
Is there some quick way to judge/read the spin, especially with people who change how they hit the ball without noticeable perception in change in grips etc.,

charliefedererer
01-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Their stoke pattern should be the first give-away.

If they are swinging low to high - it's going to be topspin.

If they are swinging high to low - it's going to be a slice.

It is okay to watch your opponent for the split second they are striking the ball.

But quickly focus your attention on the ball as soon as it is struck to follow it's flight pattern so you will be moving to the right spot to hit your next shot.

Over time you'll start to notice balls with heavy topspin clear the net by plenty, then dip down suddenly.

Heavily sliced balls that aren't traveling forward rapidly are going to behave like a drop shot.

KEEP YOUR EYE ON THE BALL AND CONCENTRATE OBSERVING IT FULLY ON EVERY SHOT.

It will come.

joesucks
01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks much appreciated ..