PDA

View Full Version : Pushing and hitting junk can be sooo much fun

asifallasleep
01-12-2012, 01:34 PM
There's nothing better than letting an opponent beat themselves. Especially when they are a power player who can be easily diffused by giving them no pace and of course by continuing to get everything back until that one extra ball back makes them cry uncle and viola, they make an error. Of course said power players have no short game, no net game and no idea what to do with balls hit in no mans land. I continually beat a friend 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 every time we play. He exclaims, "but i beat everyone else". I don't even break a sweat with this guy. I slice and dice, lob, topspin, flat, rip, and just practice my shots during the match. If i played power to power with him, he would most likely beat me or the matches would be a lot closer. He is what is known as a baseline basher. Feeds off of pace. One dimensional. Oh joy.

BU-Tennis
01-12-2012, 01:40 PM
I start every match usually choosing to return, so I can try and get an early break before my opponent is fully warmed up, and also to see if they can handle junk balls. I'll throw moonballs, slices...all the usual pusher material.

But I never let the chance to go on the offensive pass by, because typical baseline bashers hate getting out hit, even once, and they'll start to go for more, and that means i get more easy points when they hit in the net or long.

asifallasleep
01-12-2012, 02:08 PM
Oh you are so right. Bashers are very impatient. So even when we do have some pretty hard rallies he does tend to go for way way too much and misses by a mile. Moonballs, I love it. I haven't hit any of those. I would imagine junking them in the first game they get that, no way i should lose to this guy. Of course putting more pressure on themselves so when it starts going south you are sooooo in their head.

zapvor
01-12-2012, 10:57 PM
haha i hate playing pushers. lose 90% of the time:(

GuyClinch
01-13-2012, 12:10 AM
There's nothing better than letting an opponent beat themselves

No.

Most fun = hard overhead smash.
Second most fun = ripped OHBH DTL.
Third most fun = angled volley winner

Junk isn't really fun at all..seriously. It's more fun then losing that's about all it has going for it fun wise.

Maui19
01-13-2012, 04:33 AM
Another "pushing is great ha ha" thread! Hmmm...perhaps we need a new term" push trolling. ;)

Sir Shankalot
01-13-2012, 04:53 AM
Isn't "pushing" one of those irregular verbs? As in:

I play consistently
You play conservatively
He / she pushes

hawk eye
01-13-2012, 04:58 AM
Another "pushing is great ha ha" thread! Hmmm...perhaps we need a new term" push trolling. ;)

Isn't 'pusher' just another word for 'tennis troll'? :wink:

tennismonkey
01-13-2012, 06:29 AM
No.

Junk isn't really fun at all..seriously. It's more fun then losing that's about all it has going for it fun wise.

everyone's different. i like hitting those shots too - don't get me wrong. but i do take a sick sense of satisfaction as a counter puncher/pusher/retriever type with good wheels when my opponent hits what he thinks are 3 winners only to see them come back and then he blasts the next shot into the net or out. and after that - the court is suddenly a lot smaller for him.

but this is definitely a push troll thread. i condemn thee OP. :)

asifallasleep
01-13-2012, 06:40 AM
No.

Actually there are so many ways to win a match and I find it fun to change strategies to beat different opponents. So yeah, I love it when i crank a backhand down the line, i rip a forehand cross court, and when i slice and dice a guy. I can hit all the shots, and i love the game.

The fun is in winning and doing whatever it takes to win a match. So I imagine if you are playing someone who hits with way more pace than you, and is blowing you off the court, you continue with your aggressive strategy while getting clobbered but enjoying the few winners you get to hit along the way, although soundly losing the match. I'll win ugly if need be. See Brad Gilbert.

I appreciate all styles of the game and I never whine about a particular style beating me. If there's a style you hate playing against, you figure out a way to beat it. It's called a challenge. Remember, your opponent IS trying to beat you not hit back what you like.

There's a guy I lose to occasionally who has a real unorthodox style, major heavy slice and spin, alternating power and spin, giving no rhythm. Yeah I don't like playing him, but i'm up for the challenge of trying to beat him. If I can't beat him that's on me, his style is no excuse for me to lose. I play him every opportunity I can. It makes me a better player. To be able to beat all styles of players.

He tells me a lot of guys don't want to play him. And I replied, "Hey, as long as you are beating the guys that you do play, who cares. It's about winning"

Most fun = The finish line baby, winning the match. "Just Win Baby" - Al Davis

GuyClinch
01-13-2012, 06:50 AM
Actually I am pretty easy to please - and have alot of patience. I am perfectly fine with pushing to win - but if we are rating what's "sooo much fun". Hitting junk is not it..

Okay its mildly amusing to mix some spinny junk shot in on some women playing mixed doubles - especially after they complain you hit too hard.. I will give you that..

asifallasleep
01-13-2012, 07:06 AM
LOL. I'll agree that the most fun during a match is cranking a winner. For me, its ripping a 1 hand backhand down the line. No adrenalin from pushing.

Thud and blunder
01-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Isn't "pushing" one of those irregular verbs? As in:

I play consistently
You play conservatively
He / she pushes

Instant classic!

thug the bunny
01-13-2012, 08:33 PM
PUSH TROLL!

Hit the ball. Live a little.

Zachol82
01-13-2012, 11:39 PM
I continually beat a friend 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 every time we play.

Off topic but I don't think you should call him your friend :shock:
Sounds more like a rival or someone you're just not that fond of :P

Also, it's not that POWER players are bad, it's one-dimensional players.
From what you've described about your game, you have variations to your shots and variation is key in general.
If you were a complete pusher, sure you will win at the low levels since hitting "just to get the ball back" will provide greater consistency, and below 4.0, consistency will dominate. However, once you hit 4.0 or above, you're facing those who are consistent as much as they are powerful.

With that being said, the debate should geared toward variations in technique vs a one-trick pony. The winner is obvious.

TTMR
01-14-2012, 07:29 AM
There's nothing better than letting an opponent beat themselves. Especially when they are a power player who can be easily diffused by giving them no pace and of course by continuing to get everything back until that one extra ball back makes them cry uncle and viola, they make an error. Of course said power players have no short game, no net game and no idea what to do with balls hit in no mans land. I continually beat a friend 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 every time we play. He exclaims, "but i beat everyone else". I don't even break a sweat with this guy. I slice and dice, lob, topspin, flat, rip, and just practice my shots during the match. If i played power to power with him, he would most likely beat me or the matches would be a lot closer. He is what is known as a baseline basher. Feeds off of pace. One dimensional. Oh joy.

The difference is, your opponent actually plays tennis. Hence, he is better than you. The scoreline is irrelevant. You won due to bush league tactics which will hopefully be added to the rulebook as violations soon.

You say he is one dimensional, I say there is a right way to play and a wrong way. The goal of tennis is to hit as hard as possible while staying within the lines. When you lose sight of that objective, you cease to be a tennis player, and instead turn into a gamesman.

TTMR
01-14-2012, 08:04 AM
I remember one time I was playing this guy. We were both hitting the cover off the ball and I was leading 5-1. Down for the count, he starts throwing me softball lobs and floaters, slices and drop shots, starts running around retrieving balls he normally let go for winners, begins finishing points at the net other than overheads. He ties it up 5-5. I warn him that I wasn't going to put up with amateur hour. Nevertheless, he continues doing the same thing for the next four points, and goes up 6-5. I said to him, "I warned you". I gathered up my racquet and the balls (which he bought), threw them in my bag and stormed off the court. I never played him again, and never would. I guess he is just one of those tennis crazies you hear about.

I don't mind losing, but only if my opponent plays real tennis, and hits through me. I'm not going to tolerate some clown trying to be clever and cute. Either we're here to play or we aren't. And if we aren't, I have better things to do.

achokshi99
01-14-2012, 08:31 AM
You did that for real? Why couldn't you put away the lobs and floaters? If you guys are hitting the cover off the ball, a sitter on the baseline is still something that can be crushed. Plus why wouldn't you play him again, it's kind of a good thing to play different styles that you struggle with. Still not sure if this is a joke post.

I remember one time I was playing this guy. We were both hitting the cover off the ball and I was leading 5-1. Down for the count, he starts throwing me softball lobs and floaters, slices and drop shots, starts running around retrieving balls he normally let go for winners, begins finishing points at the net other than overheads. He ties it up 5-5. I warn him that I wasn't going to put up with amateur hour. Nevertheless, he continues doing the same thing for the next four points, and goes up 6-5. I said to him, "I warned you". I gathered up my racquet and the balls (which he bought), threw them in my bag and stormed off the court. I never played him again, and never would. I guess he is just one of those tennis crazies you hear about.

I don't mind losing, but only if my opponent plays real tennis, and hits through me. I'm not going to tolerate some clown trying to be clever and cute. Either we're here to play or we aren't. And if we aren't, I have better things to do.

Mick
01-14-2012, 09:01 AM
I continually beat a friend 6-1, 6-0, 6-2 every time we play. He exclaims, "but i beat everyone else". I don't even break a sweat with this guy. I slice and dice, lob, topspin, flat, rip, and just practice my shots during the match. If i played power to power with him, he would most likely beat me or the matches would be a lot closer. He is what is known as a baseline basher. Feeds off of pace. One dimensional. Oh joy.

if you could beat him with those scores for 3 consecutive sets, i doubt that the matches would be closer if you played a style more to his liking :-)

asifallasleep
01-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Sigh, my hero. What's scary is that you actually believe everything you've written. A real man plays power tennis. Hilarious!!!!

asifallasleep
01-14-2012, 09:42 AM
The difference is, your opponent actually plays tennis. Hence, he is better than you. The scoreline is irrelevant. You won due to bush league tactics which will hopefully be added to the rulebook as violations soon.

You say he is one dimensional, I say there is a right way to play and a wrong way. The goal of tennis is to hit as hard as possible while staying within the lines. When you lose sight of that objective, you cease to be a tennis player, and instead turn into a gamesman.

Bush league, Gamesmanship. No, it's call playing a style of tennis that defeats your opponent. Apparently you can only play one style of tennis. For you to consider anyone who plays differently than you not to be a real tennis player is an insult to the game. "A right way and a wrong way to play" Hilarious!!! And you actually believe this statement!! Slicing low to his two handed backhand is bush league tactics and gamesmanship? Making him hit balls that he's uncomfortable with is bush league and gamesmanship? Changing the pace ala the great Roger Federer or the magician Fabrice Santoro is bush league and gamesmanship? And right, the guy has never beaten me or taken a set off of me and you are exclaiming him the better player. Right. You're a real nutter.

Rjtennis
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
Off topic but I don't think you should call him your friend :shock:
Sounds more like a rival or someone you're just not that fond of :P

Also, it's not that POWER players are bad, it's one-dimensional players.
From what you've described about your game, you have variations to your shots and variation is key in general.
If you were a complete pusher, sure you will win at the low levels since hitting "just to get the ball back" will provide greater consistency, and below 4.0, consistency will dominate. However, once you hit 4.0 or above, you're facing those who are consistent as much as they are powerful.

With that being said, the debate should geared toward variations in technique vs a one-trick pony. The winner is obvious.

Agreed, its pretty hard to push at higher levels.

asifallasleep
01-14-2012, 09:50 AM
It does actually make sense that he's looney as his tag line says
"Bills looking good, will win Super Bowl." Clearly this is a joke post as he's a comedian, albeit not a very good one.

NJ1
01-14-2012, 12:35 PM

Haha. First, how old are you? Second, are you being serious? If the answer to the former is older than 15, then hang your head in shame. If the answer to the latter is also yes, quit playing because you must be terrible so don't come back and claim you're better than a 4.0 max.

Anyone worth their salt can adapt to tactics and beat players they are better than more often than not. I've encountered plenty of pushers but patience allied to fitness and a degree of talent means you just wait for your opportunity to finish the point.

Again, if serious, you're also a hypocrite:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=4817000&postcount=1

Zachol82
01-14-2012, 05:44 PM

All I'm wondering from your posts is...you mad bro?

asifallasleep
01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
I think he's having a laugh and trying to wind people up. It's a gag post IMO.

Frank Silbermann
01-14-2012, 08:50 PM

I don't mind losing, but only if my opponent plays real tennis, and hits through me. I'm not going to tolerate some clown trying to be clever and cute. Either we're here to play or we aren't. And if we aren't, I have better things to do. Subtle humor; I like it. It's like I told a friend years ago, "Moving the ball around is for sissies. A real man hits it right back to his opponent -- but so hard he cannot handle it."

stormholloway
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
There's nothing better than letting an opponent beat themselves.

You think letting someone lose due to their own faults is better than beating a competent opponent at his own game? I disagree.

asifallasleep
01-15-2012, 06:40 AM
You think letting someone lose due to their own faults is better than beating a competent opponent at his own game? I disagree.

Sometimes I just shake my head and some of the responses I get on here and i wonder, "is he/she serious, or is this a joke reply?"

1) I do hit winners in my matches
2) At times I hit shots that make my opponents uncomfortable which usually generates an error from them. If they are inconsistent or impatient, I extend the rallies until they make an error. If I have a clear opening during a rally and they are out of position I do crank a winner.
3) Exactly how do you "let" someone lose? There's usually an opponent who has some bearing on what happens in the match.