PDA

View Full Version : ProStaff 6.0 85 Re-Issue Chipping

JJPuck16
01-12-2012, 05:30 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the re-issued 6.0 85 chipping really easily? I used my BLX's for almost 2 years, and in only a few matches my ProStaff's are just as chipped up and I don't even remember scrapping them at all?

TennisMaverick
01-12-2012, 05:31 PM
Has anyone else had a problem with the re-issued 6.0 85 chipping really easily? I used my BLX's for almost 2 years, and in only a few matches my ProStaff's are just as chipped up and I don't even remember scrapping them at all?

They chip when they get jostled around inside your bag. You kinda have to live with it.

cork_screw
01-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I've noticed this too on two of my pro staff 85's. This batch must be made from some cheap paint because it's more prone to chipping. When I got mine brand new, I noticed some chips probably from just sitting on the shelf. I looked at the paint and it looks a bit diluted and very thin. I looked at my old ones and the paint seems to be more vibrant and a thicker coat. I wonder why they did this? Cutting costs because of the economy? I hate it when companies do this, just keep good quality.

TennisMaverick
01-12-2012, 06:24 PM
I've noticed this too on two of my pro staff 85's. This batch must be made from some cheap paint because it's more prone to chipping. When I got mine brand new, I noticed some chips probably from just sitting on the shelf. I looked at the paint and it looks a bit diluted and very thin. I looked at my old ones and the paint seems to be more vibrant and a thicker coat. I wonder why they did this? Cutting costs because of the economy? I hate it when companies do this, just keep good quality.

They have to cut somewhere, and it can't be the graphite, which because of the economy and supply-n-demand, has increased in cost dramatically, yet, the price of tennis racquets has remained the same. Sticks should really all be over $200.

VGP
01-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Invest in a black Sharpie.

JoelDali
01-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I admittedly like the chipping feature. It enables one to really see inside of the surface of the raquet to behold the sacred and mysterious BLX basalt crystals.

dennis10is
01-12-2012, 09:06 PM
I admittedly like the chipping feature. It enables one to really see imside of the surface of the raquet to behold the sacred and mysterious BLX basalt crystals.

Does it count if you chip your rackets with a small hammer or is it better to hire a supermodel to do it?

sargeinaz
01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Wilson paint quality is horrible now. My blx ps85 also came pre-blemished with multiple imperfections and scratches/chips super easily. My old n95 had far better paint. The previous Volkls I used had better paint and my fischer pro 1 (the black/red matte version) has great paint. It still practically looks new after years of use.

I'm also demoing the new ps blx 90 and 95 and wow do they chip easily. It's absurd. The top part of the frame that's red already has a white chip in it from tilting over.

JoelDali
01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Bwhahaha. El Dennis De La Isla Del Cracko.

cork_screw
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I just got home and was curious to inspect my racquets a bit closer since this thread refreshed my interest from my previous post. And I've noticed that there's some areas on the red and even the yellow where the paint is so thin that you can even see the black primer underneath it. It's incredible how much they skimp. I mean, paint costs nothing and even if you manufacture hundreds of thousands of these I understand it adds up, but we are paying for it. And I think those costs are nominal in the greater picture that this isn't some cheapo racquet, it's something that people consider a classic that continues to sell even after 30 years of production.
It's a little ridiculous because we're paying for this and other racquets that are sold in similar price ranges from other manufacturers have much better paint coating than these. It's not putting wilson in the poor house before giving us decent products, but now it's kinda just sad.

scotus
01-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Wilson paint quality is horrible now. My blx ps85 also came pre-blemished with multiple imperfections and scratches/chips super easily. My old n95 had far better paint. The previous Volkls I used had better paint and my fischer pro 1 (the black/red matte version) has great paint. It still practically looks new after years of use.

I'm also demoing the new ps blx 90 and 95 and wow do they chip easily. It's absurd. The top part of the frame that's red already has a white chip in it from tilting over.

Wilson isn't the only company with poor paint quality. Prince is just as bad at least with their EXO3 Tour.

tenapasi
01-12-2012, 11:54 PM
Wilson isn't the only company with poor paint quality. Prince is just as bad at least with their EXO3 Tour.

Can you explain in detail how bad prince EXO3 is ?

Racquet-Priority
01-13-2012, 12:05 AM
EXO3 Graphite 93 is MUCH better paint quality as the Wilson BLX Blade Tour.

Head Liquidmetal Radical was the best!

scotus
01-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Can you explain in detail how bad prince EXO3 is ?

You can get paint chips from shanking. Sometimes you see small chunks fall off.

One of my brand-new EXO3 Tour actually arrived with a small chunk of paint missing from the throat. I thought about returning it but I knew it would happen again sooner or later even with a replacement.

I think there was a thread dedicated to this topic somewhere.

mad dog1
01-13-2012, 12:19 AM

yeah, i mentioned the chipping problem on mine before. good thing they still hit beautifully after losing some paint.

scotus
01-13-2012, 12:22 AM
yeah, i mentioned the chipping problem on mine before. good thing they still hit beautifully after losing some paint.

Just gotta keep adding lead to maintain weight.
:)

jorel
01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
They have to cut somewhere, and it can't be the graphite, which because of the economy and supply-n-demand, has increased in cost dramatically, yet, the price of tennis racquets has remained the same. Sticks should really all be over $200.
racquets 20 years ago sold for $200