PDA

View Full Version : Volkl Organix 10 325 headshape

edman9898
01-12-2012, 07:12 PM
I just got a demo in of the Organix 10 325 and the headshape seems to be a bit more rounded which is great! Is this true or does it just look like that with the new paint scheme? Cant wait to take it for a hit tomorrow!!!

TennisMaverick
01-12-2012, 07:29 PM
I just got a demo in of the Organix 10 325 and the headshape seems to be a bit more rounded which is great! Is this true or does it just look like that with the new paint scheme? Cant wait to take it for a hit tomorrow!!!

More rounded compared to....?

It still has the traditional Volkl head shape for the most part.

getsby
01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I agree with Edman. The headshape is really different from the classic Volkl racquets with 98 head size. What gives an additional forgiveness

sargeinaz
01-12-2012, 10:10 PM
I think it has a different, more "normal" head shape than previous Volkls. It really is a completely redesigned frame than the past 10 series Volkls.

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 04:08 AM
If you put it on top of a true Volkl head, the PB 10 Mid, you'll see that it does not deviate that much. What is catching the eye is the "Pure Drive" beam shape, which is new to Volkl, seemingly making the head look rounder when viewed by itself. This beam shape is being carried across the line for the new releases as well: the XV1, X9, X6....

Maui19
01-13-2012, 05:46 AM
Yes agreed. The X10 looks more rounded. It is roughly the same length as the PB 10 Mid, but noticeably wider. Where the sides of the PB 10 are flattened, the X10 are rounded.

landrybrad
01-13-2012, 07:22 AM
does anyone have experience with the c10 pro and how it compares to the organix? on paper they look almost identical - not sure how much this "new" technology really adds.

rlau
01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
does anyone have experience with the c10 pro and how it compares to the organix? on paper they look almost identical - not sure how much this "new" technology really adds.

Yes, I've played both, and still play with the O10. They are both 10 series frames, but completely different in feel and performance. The C10 Pro has a classic graphite/kevlar type of feel with a very flexible hoop, especially the upper part. The Organix feels much more modern, crisper if you will, but it is also very comfortable. I think the O10 is more versatile and performs better all around.

sargeinaz
01-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Yes, I've played both, and still play with the O10. They are both 10 series frames, but completely different in feel and performance. The C10 Pro has a classic graphite/kevlar type of feel with a very flexible hoop, especially the upper part. The Organix feels much more modern, crisper if you will, but it is also very comfortable. I think the O10 is more versatile and performs better all around.

I have to respectfully disagree. Id describe the Organix 10 compared to the c10 as less. The organix 10 in my opinion has less power, less spin, less stability and much less feel. The c10 oozes feel. The upper hoop is flexible on the c10 and that is a love or hate it type of thing. I feel that the c10 also has a larger sweetspot. While the organix 10 is not a bad racket, i just think the c10 is much better. They are both very comfortable. You really should demo both side by side and in 10 minutes youll probably be able to tell which you prefer.

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 01:42 PM

You should read the Organix Club and the numerous X10 Club threads. The X10 is a completely different and unique tennis racquet.

For all of you who keep writing O10 for Organix 10, be advised that Volkl uses "X" as their Organix designation. X6....X8...X10....XV1.....

MCN
01-13-2012, 01:45 PM
I've regularly switched between C10 Pro and X10 325. I love the classic feel of the C10 and its soft flexy nature, but have to say play better with the X10. They feel very different but if you can handle the C10 then the X10 is something you can transition into.

I found that the X10 is quite stiff (although the vibrations to the arm are well dampened, unlike something like the Babolat PD). I've been trying the X10 at normal string tensions for me (mid 50 lbs) and although I played OK with it, just found it too strange coming from softer sticks like the C10 and latterly the PB10 mid.

But.... I restrung the X10 much lower the other day (low 40s) and what a difference! Much less harsh, forgiving, great spin and suddenly I'm thinking that this is worth persevering with. Played really well with this and for the first time it felt 'comfortable' and I wasn't distracted by it's feel. It just worked.

I've previously posted that I don't like playing with the X10 although I can get good results. The low string tension has made the racquet much more playable for me so I'll have to experiment more (maybe with gut next time) and see if it's a keeper.

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 02:17 PM
I've regularly switched between C10 Pro and X10 325. I love the classic feel of the C10 and its soft flexy nature, but have to say play better with the X10. They feel very different but if you can handle the C10 then the X10 is something you can transition into.

I found that the X10 is quite stiff (although the vibrations to the arm are well dampened, unlike something like the Babolat PD). I've been trying the X10 at normal string tensions for me (mid 50 lbs) and although I played OK with it, just found it too strange coming from softer sticks like the C10 and latterly the PB10 mid.

But.... I restrung the X10 much lower the other day (low 40s) and what a difference! Much less harsh, forgiving, great spin and suddenly I'm thinking that this is worth persevering with. Played really well with this and for the first time it felt 'comfortable' and I wasn't distracted by it's feel. It just worked.

I've previously posted that I don't like playing with the X10 although I can get good results. The low string tension has made the racquet much more playable for me so I'll have to experiment more (maybe with gut next time) and see if it's a keeper.

That is basically the answer. String an X10 at your normal tension, and you will find that it feels much tighter. Secondly, you will find crispness and a string bed quality that you've never felt before. Thirdly, you'll have difficulty dealing with the quickness of the ball off the racquet face, unless you hit with a lot of spin.

However, if you drop 10 lbs or more from your regular tension, it will play more familiar to you, and transitioning from a C10 Pro to an X10 325, will be fairly seamless. The general logic is the stiffer the frame, the looser you string it, and visa versa. When the stick starts to breakdown, it gets softer, so you have to ratchet-up the tension to compensate if you want it to play more like it did when it was new.

MCN
01-13-2012, 02:32 PM
That is basically the answer. String an X10 at your normal tension, and you will find that it feels much tighter. Secondly, you will find crispness and a string bed quality that you've never felt before. Thirdly, you'll have difficulty dealing with the quickness of the ball off the racquet face, unless you hit with a lot of spin.

However, if you drop 10 lbs or more from your regular tension, it will play more familiar to you, and transitioning from a C10 Pro to an X10 325, will be fairly seamless. The general logic is the stiffer the frame, the looser you string it, and visa versa. When the stick starts to breakdown, it gets softer, so you have to ratchet-up the tension to compensate if you want it to play more like it did when it was new.

I see what you mean. The X10 really strings much tighter than other racquets - I've been really surprised what a difference there is. I've really enjoyed playing with it recently since the tension drop and no longer feel that it's uncomfortable. OK it's not quite C10 or PB10 mid 'comfort territory', but when your percentage play goes up and you start winning more points AND the comfort is acceptable, it could be a winning combination.

The other thing I'll say is that although the X10 has some useful mass behind it, it feels quicker and lighter than the C10 Pro and (for me) it's quicker and better at doubles volley exchanges, with more margin for mishits off the sweet spot.

I was considering trying a BB London to get the extra forgiveness that I've been after recently, but I definitely will keep the X10 for a while to evaluate further.

sargeinaz
01-13-2012, 02:37 PM
I see what you mean. The X10 really strings much tighter than other racquets - I've been really surprised what a difference there is. I've really enjoyed playing with it recently since the tension drop and no longer feel that it's uncomfortable. OK it's not quite C10 or PB10 mid 'comfort territory', but when your percentage play goes up and you start winning more points AND the comfort is acceptable, it could be a winning combination.

The other thing I'll say is that although the X10 has some useful mass behind it, it feels quicker and lighter than the C10 Pro and (for me) it's quicker and better at doubles volley exchanges, with more margin for mishits off the sweet spot.

I was considering trying a BB London to get the extra forgiveness that I've been after recently, but I definitely will keep the X10 for a while to evaluate further.

I agree the organix 10 does feel quicker/lighter than the c10 and they both volley well. I only hit with the TW demo of the organix 10 which im sure was strung in the mid 50s.

gregor.b
01-13-2012, 02:40 PM

Try weighing it. It may be way under spec. I demo'd an X 10 325 and it came in at 330 strung with no overgrip. That being said, it played freakin' awesome!

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
I agree the organix 10 does feel quicker/lighter than the c10 and they both volley well. I only hit with the TW demo of the organix 10 which im sure was strung in the mid 50s.

Beam shape....

MCN
01-13-2012, 02:47 PM
Mine felt almost too light and I've put a little lead at 3 & 9 and some under the handle. It still feels quick and the lively string bed at low tensions feels pretty good.

FYI both my C10 Pro and X10 weigh in at 357g.

MCN
01-13-2012, 02:52 PM
The other thing I've tried with the X10 is to not have the handle as thick as I normally use. This has maybe helped with using my wrist a bit more for some shots creating a bit more whip resulting in more wicked topspin.

APG
01-13-2012, 03:02 PM
(Quote) But.... I restrung the X10 much lower the other day (low 40s) and what a difference! Much less harsh, forgiving, great spin and suddenly I'm thinking that this is worth persevering with.

How low would you string with full gut?
I do not hit with a ton of topspin.

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
...creating a bit more whip resulting in more wicked topspin.

Because that is what the stick is designed to do.

MCN
01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
(Quote) But.... I restrung the X10 much lower the other day (low 40s) and what a difference! Much less harsh, forgiving, great spin and suddenly I'm thinking that this is worth persevering with.

How low would you string with full gut?
I do not hit with a ton of topspin.

I think gut needs to be strung a little higher as its pretty powerful. I haven't tried it in the X10 yet but when I do it will be perhaps mid-40s. Depends on your style and level of play. I don't swing as aggressively as I did a few years ago and need the extra 'pop' and forgiveness. It's a question of experimenting, but it can be expensive to get right!

Don't Let It Bounce
01-14-2012, 05:58 AM
I just got a demo in of the Organix 10 325 and the headshape seems to be a bit more rounded which is great! Is this true or does it just look like that with the new paint scheme?I noticed the same thing, so I measured the Volkl frames I had access to to see if it is just an illusion. It isn't. (That makes them more interesting to me, too.)

Measured from the inner edges of the frame, to the nearest 0.5 mm (figure about +/- 1 mm for possible distortion from uneven stringing or measurement error on my part):

C10 Pro mains 331 mm, crosses 238.5 mm, ratio 1.39
Tour 10 98 mains 330 mm, crosses 237 mm, ratio 1.39
X10 Light mains 330 mm, crosses 244 mm, ratio 1.35

I've measured a few dozen frames like this, and the ratio of most racquets' mains to crosses falls between 1.30 and 1.40. That makes the traditional Volkls more oval than most and the X10 middle of the road.

The current Pure Drive's ratio is 1.31. (If you're interested, the most extreme shapes I've measured are a Spalding Orbitech at 1.12 and a Head Graphite Director at 1.53!)