PDA

View Full Version : Help Recommend a Better Stick!!

aryansmith
01-13-2012, 06:10 AM
So I've been using Babolat Pure Drive Roddick + w/ RPM Blast and really enjoyed it playing what I think is some of best tennis ever. My shoulder has seemed to really been bothering me since I started using it spring of last year. I personally believe it's due to the stiffness and potentially being a + combined with a lot of playing so I need to find something easier on the body.

So any recommendations for a power racquet that would be easier on the shoulder and yet maintain a similar swing weight/weight. I've tried to hit with lighter sticks and they just don't seem to work for me. I probably don't have the fastest racquet head speed which is why the heavier racquets seem to be a better fit to help provide a bit more pop. Just a theory there...

Mostly play doubles if it helps.

Thanks!

rlau
01-13-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm currently enjoying the Volkl Organix 10 325, which is very arm-friendly, especially with a soft string like a multifilament. It has decent weight, yet swings very easily. I don't think my net play has ever been better than with this stick. It's very stable and crisp on volleys.

6-2/6-4/6-0
01-13-2012, 06:20 AM
I have been seriously considering trying to pick up a Redondo or two. Based on the reviews and the raves from people, it seems like a great playing racket that gives lots of plow-through and stability in a very arm-friendly package. The 98 may be a great choice to demo, though you may want to change to a hybrid or multi to get a bit more power out of it (which will also help the arm-friendly-ness factor).

I, personally, have no idea whatsoever why people are using stiffer and stiffer rackets and then stringing them with stiffer and stiffer strings to control the power. Use a softer racket with more lively string for the same overall power and a lot better control (from greater dwell time) and comfort...

aryansmith
01-13-2012, 06:29 AM
I get what your saying on the stiffer stick. I know your playing with fire a bit. I just found that it had an addictive quality to it. Something about it I can't put my thumb on with that stick and string combo...

Thanks for these recommendations. I'm going to try to to start demoing and see if I can find a healthier fit that can give me similar qualities and keep me on the court more :).

anirut
01-13-2012, 06:33 AM
I, personally, have no idea whatsoever why people are using stiffer and stiffer rackets and then stringing them with stiffer and stiffer strings to control the power. ...

Because, with stiff rackets, it's easier to get power with not-so-proper techniques. And to have proper techniques people need to learn, and that takes time, not instant gratification.

Any how, you can still play wit hthe same stick and adjust your technique and string type. I've tried hitting with the PD and, IMO, it still works with classical strokes.

aryansmith
01-13-2012, 07:07 AM
Ok lot of assumptions going on. Bad form and such, classic strokes lol.. Unsure if it's directed at me but.. Not saying I have perfect form by any means or anything but I play a modern game with very nice topspin especially on the forehand side and my 2hander is a better shot usually. I also work my tail off in practice with footwork training and always improving my technique because it will never be perfect. I was playing around 6 days a week but dialed it back due to shoulder :).

That being said I prefer doubles because I enjoy it more and I need a good strong serve which the PD has helped with getting my MPH a bit higher and the volleys on it are very crisp at the net which is where I try to be at all times. With the weight it seems to handle other's power well. Again another good thing because I practice and play against Div 2 college guys who can still hit the crap out of the ball all around 4.5ish now in their 30s.. The point being I wanted something that wasn't so harsh on the arm but similar. We all have room for improvement in our game no matter the level :).

6-2/6-4/6-0
01-13-2012, 07:20 AM
Other options might be a Dunlop Bio 300 or 400 (possibly the Tour version), maybe even the 500 if you're looking for extra oompf?

I know a lot of people here like the Becker Melbourne, which would be a more control-oriented racket with plenty of spin - but the "Volkl Feel" is something you either like or don't, I come down on the 'nay' side, but they make great rackets. You may also want a more powerful racket than the Melbourne, I just don't know the line well enough to recommend something else.

Dialing back the stiffness of the racket and the stringbed should help the shoulder. But don't neglect the small muscles in the shoulder that keep everything working also - the throwers 10 exercises are a comprehensive approach to shoulder strength, and when I'm busy I just do seated rows, lat pull downs, and arm-circles.

Play-testing the rackets is a great start, it's even better if your shop will string them all the same (effectively) so you can really feel the difference between the sticks rather than the strings in them. Find what feels good to you, dial in the weight with lead and the strings to get the performance you want, and give 'em hell...

getsby
01-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Organix 325 and Redondo-completely different sticks, nothing to do with PDR. Both are comfortable, fairly maneuverable, but more control than power. I would try Head Extreme Pro, old series (not innegra). With multi string.

aryansmith
01-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Dialing back the stiffness of the racket and the stringbed should help the shoulder. But don't neglect the small muscles in the shoulder that keep everything working also - the throwers 10 exercises are a comprehensive approach to shoulder strength, and when I'm busy I just do seated rows, lat pull downs, and arm-circles.

I agree completely. I have started on the throwers 10 a few weeks ago. Working my way up on weights/bands. I have in the past neglected my shoulder/arms and worked on my core/lower half. So trying to play catch up. Thanks again!

TennisMaverick
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
Ok lot of assumptions going on. Bad form and such, classic strokes lol.. Unsure if it's directed at me but.. Not saying I have perfect form by any means or anything but I play a modern game with very nice topspin especially on the forehand side and my 2hander is a better shot usually. I also work my tail off in practice with footwork training and always improving my technique because it will never be perfect. I was playing around 6 days a week but dialed it back due to shoulder :).

That being said I prefer doubles because I enjoy it more and I need a good strong serve which the PD has helped with getting my MPH a bit higher and the volleys on it are very crisp at the net which is where I try to be at all times. With the weight it seems to handle other's power well. Again another good thing because I practice and play against Div 2 college guys who can still hit the crap out of the ball all around 4.5ish now in their 30s.. The point being I wanted something that wasn't so harsh on the arm but similar. We all have room for improvement in our game no matter the level :).

The Volkl X8 315 is a Roddick stick clone, but far easier on the arm. That would make for an easy transition. Someone mentioned an X10 325. On the surface, it does not seem to relate. It is not a clone, but does much what the Roddick stick can do and more. There are players whom have switched from the Roddick and Nadal sticks to the X10 325.

mikeler
01-13-2012, 01:50 PM
Look at the Pro Kennex 7G if you want to stay with an arm friendly extended stick.

NE1for10is?
01-13-2012, 02:55 PM
It's more likely the poly string that's giving you shoulder issues and not the racquet. Try a gut/poly hybrid for a while or just gut till the shoulder feels better. Also strength training for the back of the shoulder muscles with a theraband would help.

Lendl
01-13-2012, 04:00 PM
I am one of them. I used the standard length PDR and before that the standard length APDC and now use the X10 325 due to a terrible case of golfer's elbow. I loved the X8 315 and with no arm issues would recommend it as a replacement for the Babolats but for a racket to use AND continue playing tennis the X10 325 has been a better choice for my arm.

The Volkl X8 315 is a Roddick stick clone, but far easier on the arm. That would make for an easy transition. Someone mentioned an X10 325. On the surface, it does not seem to relate. It is not a clone, but does much what the Roddick stick can do and more. There are players whom have switched from the Roddick and Nadal sticks to the X10 325.

aryansmith
01-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Thanks guys for the advice! I see some Volkl fans are here so will give them a try. Never hit with them before. I'm also going to try some softer string in the PD. On my list as well is the PK Ki5x as well as the Pure Storm GT Tour. Should give me a nice range to check into along with both Volkls.

Fuji
01-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Look at the Pro Kennex 7G if you want to stay with an arm friendly extended stick.

EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read this post. (To OP) You can even mod it up to Roddick's actual specs and play some very similar style.

-Fuji

rofl_copter3
01-13-2012, 08:49 PM
There is a plushness about volkl you don't seem to get from many other rackets but the x8 swing weight is crazy low not making the perfect replacement for the pd roddick. Becker pro is another great stick with a higher swing weight and a more fimiliar grip style.... if you're willing to do some lead tape work the volkl 8's are the way to go

Lendl
01-14-2012, 07:26 AM
There are two X8 models and the 315 isn't too low to replace the PDR. I did it and it felt awesome. It is a lighter swing weight (by maybe 20?) but I didn't think it was "crazy low" when I made the switch. I did not try the X8 300.

There is a plushness about volkl you don't seem to get from many other rackets but the x8 swing weight is crazy low not making the perfect replacement for the pd roddick. Becker pro is another great stick with a higher swing weight and a more fimiliar grip style.... if you're willing to do some lead tape work the volkl 8's are the way to go

6-2/6-4/6-0
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
There is a plushness about volkl you don't seem to get from many other rackets

I would have to put Dunlop frames - in my general experience - as one of the most plush feeling out there. Very different feel than Volkl. Though, if you like the feel of Babolat frames you may like the Volkl feel more than I did. The X10 definitely has a unique ball strike sensation.

I would definitely recommend adding a dunlop 300 or 400 to your demo list though...

getsby
01-14-2012, 09:35 AM
300 and 400 bio-very different sticks...

Ronaldo
01-14-2012, 09:48 AM
It's more likely the poly string that's giving you shoulder issues and not the racquet. Try a gut/poly hybrid for a while or just gut till the shoulder feels better. Also strength training for the back of the shoulder muscles with a theraband would help.

Try a multi string before buying a new racquet.