PDA

View Full Version : help with wrist pain

andry16
01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
hello ive been suffering wrist pain after several training days mostly after 1 or 2days of playing.

i dont involve a lot my wrist for my strokes but just enough to add some spin.

but i just dont figure why this little pain comes over, any suggestions would be appreciated.

i play with a blx surge if that helps

thank you

Chyeaah
01-14-2012, 02:46 AM
I think this should go in health.

You shouldnt be using your wrist to add spin, unless your really good.

Your spin should come from the low to high swing path.

papa
01-14-2012, 04:48 AM
For the most part, wrist pain is associated with improper stroke technique - like you mentioned in "trying"to put topspin on the ball.

andry16
01-14-2012, 08:19 AM
no the pain doesnt come from adding topspin as i hit a little flat i think it comes from having to return such hard balls( or with pace however you want to call it) with a light raquet

rkelley
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM
hello ive been suffering wrist pain after several training days mostly after 1 or 2days of playing.

i dont involve a lot my wrist for my strokes but just enough to add some spin.

but i just dont figure why this little pain comes over, any suggestions would be appreciated.

i play with a blx surge if that helps

thank you

Not that anyone here, especially me, is qualified to say anything, but where's the pain? When do you feel it (all the time, only on impact, wrist at a certain angle, etc.)?

rkelley
01-14-2012, 08:59 AM
I think this should go in health.

You shouldnt be using your wrist to add spin, unless your really good.

Your spin should come from the low to high swing path.

I guess I'm missing something (often happens). The whole point of pronating the wrist and the WW motion is to put topspin on the ball. A simple low to high swing path with a stiff wrist is not going to put much topspin on the ball.

Now if the OP is muscling his wrist over that can cause problems. You also have to stop the WW motion with a proper follow through.

rufusbgood
01-14-2012, 10:01 AM
Hardly a tournament goes by on the pro circuit without some player being forced to withdraw with a wrist injury. It would not occur to me to suggest that these injured pros are employing improper technique. Agassi, Connors and Del Potro all required wrist surgery. Bad technique?

Now, if you want to speculate on overuse, that's another story.

For my part, I'd want to look at the OP's set up. If he's using a full bed of poly in that racquet for instance and spending any time at the net I would hope he isn't stringing the racquet over 50 lbs. In fact, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend stringing below 45 lbs. But if he would be interested in some actual relief I would suggest something other than poly for a while. A soft multi perhaps.

tlm
01-14-2012, 10:20 AM
First lay off the tennis and start icing the wrist, it is better to use a bowl of ice water. Get a bowl big enough to put mostly ice with enough water to submerge your wrist in.

Then put your wrist in the ice water for at least 10 seconds and try for 20. This is called dipping which works much better than just regular icing. Keep repeating the process, put wrist in water for at least 10 seconds then wait a few minutes, then repeat again. You can do this at least 7-8 times in an evening, this should get rid of your pain.

When the wrist feels good it is now time for some weight training. You need to do wrist curls underhand and overhand, also hammer type wrist curls plus some forearm roll ups which is were you role a rope around a handle that has a weight attached to one end.

I advise tennis players that have had any problems with wrist or elbow to do a complete forearm workout at least twice a week. This is the best way to play pain free and prevent injuries.

papa
01-14-2012, 03:48 PM
What causes wrist pain for pro players is generally quite different than the reasons rec/club players experience problems. I constantly see club players trying to either muscle their shots or change the racquet face during the contact zone. Either can/often produce either wrist, elbow or shoulder problems/injuries. The wrist release has to be passive and not deliberate. Some may not care for this but generally these players end up wearing all the braces.

charliefedererer
01-14-2012, 07:07 PM
As tlm said, the first thing to do is rest the wrist by not playing until all the pain has gone away. When the pain has subsided start the strengthening exercises for the wrist - they are the last 4 exercises in the Thrower's Ten series: http://www.muhlenberg.edu/pdf/main/athletics/athletic_training/throwers10.pdf
Stronger elastic forearm muscles take the stress off the the non-elastic tendons and ligaments of the wrist.
Use of a theraband flexbar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB3TVb8a5mk or hand gripper http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Gripmaster_Hand__Finger_Exerciser/descpageGRIP-GRIP.html also can help prevent a recurrence.

Why are you using such a light racquet?
For wrist/elbow/shoulder health, the best racquet to use is the heaviest you can swing easily at full speed.
The problem with such a light racquet is that it lacks the mass to absorb shock, so the shock of bashing the ball is transferred to your wrist and arm.
If you do look for another racquet also consider getting one with a lower stiffness rating than the 69 rating of the surge.

Also, you don't mention what strings you use. Stiff poly strings could be contributing to the problem. Consider switching to more elastic multifilament or natural gut strings.

And do consider having a pro look at your strokes. Even with improving strength and equipment, if there is is problem with technique, recurrence is likely.

andry16
01-15-2012, 12:45 AM
to answer some questions:

-no i dont play with ww strokes, i play flat with little topsin or a little less flat with more topspin( depends on the circumstances)

-i dont muscle the ball, i play as loose as i can

-i do a lot of strenght training without weight and that includes my arms and whole body

-yes i play with a full poliester setup (dunlop- dont know the name, its an all bright green string) strung at 60 lbs with a 290 grams raquet

-i have a coach whom i work with every training day so i have some good proper form( well maybe not that perfect because then i wouldnt have some pain)

-i feel the pain some days when blocking hard serves and overall groundstrokes and a few other times when moving my raquet on the air(not hitting the ball)

papa
01-15-2012, 08:18 AM
What does your coach think?

rufusbgood
01-15-2012, 08:21 AM
-yes i play with a full poliester setup (dunlop- dont know the name, its an all bright green string) strung at 60 lbs with a 290 grams raquet

Drop your tension 15 lbs and if you find your shots are sailing long just hit with more topspin. I suspect that unless you are a girl, the reason you are hitting flat is that your strings are so ridiculously tight that you can't get any court penetration hitting any other way. You might want to invest in a package of lead tape (under $5 most places) as well. That racquet being so light is probably not helping either.