PDA

View Full Version : Wilson vs. Yonex grip size

Lee James
01-14-2012, 06:15 AM
I'm thinking about giving the Yonex rdis 100 mp a go. I currently play a Wilson racquet in a 4 3/8, and was wondering if the yonex grips feel any smaller. Reason being that the closest grip size to 4 3/8 tw still has available is a 4 1/2.

Thx!

un6a
01-14-2012, 06:38 AM
Yonex grip 4 3/8 on Rdis 100 MP feels slightly larger than same grip size on others racquets (Prince, Dunlop, Head). I do not have wilson, but i doubt that yonex grip is smaller than wilson grip. Also, it is hard to reduce grip size on Yonex Rdis racquets, because they already have pretty thin grip stock.

Lee James
01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks a lot!

Overeemforehand-YYR-23
01-14-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks a lot!

They're similar, i'd say 4 3/8 of both equivalent.

Dunlop and Babolat are bigger than Yonex and Wilson for same grip size.

Prince I can't say much, their racquets are awful anyway.

TripleB
01-14-2012, 05:30 PM
For me (and it may just be the way I hold the racquet) I've found that Yonex grips run smaller than all the rest. Just tried a 4 1/2" Wilson vs. a 4 1/2" Yonex and the Yonex feels smaller.

TripleB

tennistomcat
01-15-2012, 10:46 AM
The yonex grip on my Vcore 100s felt smaller at 1st & I was certain it was - But I measured it & it was dead on the right size - I think the extreme thinness of the stock grip makes it feel that way.

Yonex stock grips are way thin - definitely the thinnest replacement grips I've ever used (have used laserfibre, head hydrosorb, & prince resithin)

I took off the stock grip & ended up replacing it with the prince resithin but the grip size was still about 1/2 to 3/4 (not quite a full size) larger than it was originally.

Yonex replacement grips are a pain to find in the US - I just bought the yonex hi soft supergrap which is very thin to replace it & try to restore to original grip size & it does -but the feel of the grip is just not the same as original stock - it's got a shiny, tackier feel to it.

A few of my friends who use wilson rackets complain about the lack of the buttcap flare on the yonex compared to a wilson racket though fyi

scotus
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Yonex's bare handles are thicker than the bare handles of most other brands.

Yonex stock frames in L3, for example, will be the same size as Wilson stock frame in L3. However, if you ever change the original grip, that's where the discrepancy will begin.

Yonex original grips are super thin, so if you replace it with a non-Yonex grip, you will end up with a grip that's probably a half size larger.

So take that into account when you make your decision.

I usually go down a size when buying a Yonex.

eleventeenth street
01-15-2012, 11:20 AM
agree with tennistomcat. the yonex handle size is fine, their stock grips are just really thin.