PDA

View Full Version : Babloat APD serving?

Bergboy123
01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
Is this racket considered a "bad" server? Is there another racket similar to it with regards to groundstrokes/volleys, but better at serving?

ArliHawk
01-14-2012, 09:58 AM
I can't speak with regards to reputation, but I can speak about my experience. I love it for serving! The racket does a ton of work for you on it, and it's almost effortless.

You may want to check out the review of it on this site; it did fairly well on serves.

keithfival
01-14-2012, 12:21 PM
I find it pretty good for serving. Easy to get pace and spin, easy to get first serves in.

Ross K
01-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Well, having hit with a load of frames over the years, IMO the APD is a high powered (I wouldn't say it's quite among the most powerful out there, but it's not so far off) and very spinny. It isn't what you'd call mega-precise, but if you know how to harness the spin and oomph, the results can be pretty impressive indeed.

Re the second query, hmm, the PD is the obvious thought here, many think the PD has a tad more raw power and perhaps a tiny bit less spin... depends though on what you're looking for exactly re the serve. There are a number of APD-like frames out there of course... just maybe clarify or say more re the kind of serve characteristics you are after.

ArliHawk
01-14-2012, 12:39 PM
Maybe it's just the way I hit, but I demoed both the Pure Drive and the AeroPro Drive. The AeroPro Drive felt more stable and powerful to me.

Bergboy123
01-14-2012, 02:27 PM
Well I have the APD, but I seem to have trouble getting real solid pace. The fastest I've ever clocked is 93 mph. I go to these tournaments, and see people hitting well faster than me, even when we're pretty close in actual skill level.

So maybe I'm thinking it's my strings? I dont' know exactly what I have, but I know it's on the cheaper end of polly stuff. Do strings affect power a lot?

ArliHawk
01-14-2012, 02:30 PM
A multi is going to give you more power than a poly, generally.

Anton
01-14-2012, 03:04 PM

I don't think so - poly weights more - so in a frame like apd i'd say you get more power, not less on serve.

Personally, I was serving bombs with leaded up APDc.

Ramon
01-14-2012, 03:42 PM

My vote for power on serves goes to multi as well. I know it makes a significant difference on my own serve, although part of that is because my arm feels much better with multi. I also use the APD.

Ross K
01-14-2012, 09:54 PM
I don't think so - poly weights more - so in a frame like apd i'd say you get more power, not less on serve.

Personally, I was serving bombs with leaded up APDc.

Yes, approx. 3 grams @ 12 made a big difference for me with this rack. Full poly strung low 50s too.

Fuji
01-14-2012, 09:59 PM
I've found some of the best serving done with the APD drive actually. I can tip well over 105MPH with it, without much trouble. It is a bit less precise, but it the power and spin are for sure there.

I strung with PHT/PSGD combo @ 48/50lbs.

-Fuji

Bergboy123
01-15-2012, 09:58 AM
How much more is multi than polly to buy? Sorry I'm a complete noob at this stuff :D

Anton
01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
How much more is multi than polly to buy? Sorry I'm a complete noob at this stuff :D

Depends what multi and what poly...but again I don't think you will see noticeable gain on your serve's pace from just switching stings. I've been playing around with and rackets for a long time and I think you are wasting time with that plan.

You want gear change that help you get heavier serves? (assuming you tried adjusting your technique and are not getting anywhere)

#1 thing to try is adding weight to the top of the frame. Lead at 12 works great with APD...just ask Nadal ;).

Bergboy123
01-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Well I have lead on it, probably about 12 oz total now, mostly on the sides. Adding more to the top will help pace and power though?

Anton
01-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Well I have lead on it, probably about 12 oz total now, mostly on the sides. Adding more to the top will help pace and power though?

At 12oz I would try to shift some lead from 3and9 to 12 (and maybe even get rid of some), but I think at this point the issue is more then likely your technique - any vids of you serving?

Bergboy123
01-15-2012, 03:13 PM
At 12oz I would try to shift some lead from 3and9 to 12 (and maybe even get rid of some), but I think at this point the issue is more then likely your technique - any vids of you serving?

I've never filmed my serving, so maybe in the next couple days I'll try to get that done

ArliHawk
01-15-2012, 03:20 PM
I'm probably at a lower level than you (3.5 hoping to be 4.0 by the end of the year) but this racket has really helped my serve.

Then again being lefthanded adds that extra something, at least to people I play with.

Bergboy123
01-15-2012, 06:14 PM
I'm about a low 4.0, so it's not like I'm new to the game or anything, I have a pretty good understanding of what I'm doing.

Yourtenniscoach
01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't mean to hijack the thread but if anyone is looking to by an APD GT let me know, I have an extra one laying around I need to sell ;)

Anton
01-16-2012, 02:54 PM
I'm about a low 4.0, so it's not like I'm new to the game or anything, I have a pretty good understanding of what I'm doing.

Well the answer to your question is no, APD is not a tough racket to serve big with.

KoaUka
01-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Yes, approx. 3 grams @ 12 made a big difference for me with this rack. Full poly strung low 50s too.

Just at 12? Do you also put below to counter balance?

Fuji
01-16-2012, 03:59 PM

I had mine leaded at 12, 3grams at 12 and 6 in cap at the bottom! :)

-Fuji

KoaUka
01-17-2012, 10:07 PM
I had mine leaded at 12, 3grams at 12 and 6 in cap at the bottom! :)

-Fuji

Thanks, so you like it headlight for sevres?

Ross K
01-17-2012, 10:18 PM

6g in butt cup too.

Fuji
01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Thanks, so you like it headlight for sevres?

Yup! the more whip I can get the better! Especially on the APD where it's already built as a fairly polarized stick, this set up adds a bit more heft, and a lot more oomph, even more so strung mid range with a multi! :)

-Fuji

KoaUka
01-18-2012, 01:44 PM
Thanks Fuji & Ross K. I've recently been thinking about adding some lead to my APDGTLG. Tried it in the past with the older cortex + version, but just didn't feel right. Previously I was under the impression that whatever you put on the top, you put an equal amount on the bottom. I see now that doesn't have to be the case.

albertosaurus
01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
I love this racquet for serving! I think it really helped me out on it a lot

Bergboy123
01-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Ok all your comments have convinced me that I'm wrong in thinking my serve issues come from the racket. I will try adding more lead to the top, but for the most part I will be inspecting my technique and working to correct flaws.

Interesting convo going on about lead weight though!

KoaUka
01-18-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok all your comments have convinced me that I'm wrong in thinking my serve issues come from the racket. I will try adding more lead to the top, but for the most part I will be inspecting my technique and working to correct flaws.

Interesting convo going on about lead weight though!

Do you use the extended version or the standard?
I found the + version to have some nice pop on the serve, effortless pop.
After switching to the standard, while I gained maneuverability, never got the same amount of power that I had with the plus, on the serve that is.

Bergboy123
01-18-2012, 05:37 PM
I'm such a noob here, I don't really even know. If I had to guess I'd say I have the standard version. It's shorter and fatter than most rackets.

KoaUka
01-18-2012, 06:05 PM
On the + version, There is a + sign after the word drive

Bergboy123
01-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Then I definitely have teh standard :)

Fuji
01-18-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks Fuji & Ross K. I've recently been thinking about adding some lead to my APDGTLG. Tried it in the past with the older cortex + version, but just didn't feel right. Previously I was under the impression that whatever you put on the top, you put an equal amount on the bottom. I see now that doesn't have to be the case.

You're welcome!

Honestly, for the most basic and general rule of thumb: Whatever you add at 12, add double that at the butt cap. (Unless you are doing ridiculous amounts of course!) The 1:2 ratio has never really steered me wrong, although others may disagree!

-Fuji

KoaUka
01-18-2012, 10:33 PM
You're welcome!

Honestly, for the most basic and general rule of thumb: Whatever you add at 12, add double that at the butt cap. (Unless you are doing ridiculous amounts of course!) The 1:2 ratio has never really steered me wrong, although others may disagree!

-Fuji

That sounds like a good starting point . Going to experiment a little by adding some lead at 12 (3g). Probably about 1 or2 under the butt cap because I already have the leather grip on there and I believe it already adds a few grams.

I get good serves out of the racquet, just looking for a little more pace and penetration. Looking for that tezuka zone if you know what I mean.

Ross K
01-18-2012, 10:55 PM
That sounds like a good starting point . Going to experiment a little by adding some lead at 12 (3g). Probably about 1 or2 under the butt cap because I already have the leather grip on there and I believe it already adds a few grams.

I get good serves out of the racquet, just looking for a little more pace and penetration. Looking for that tezuka zone if you know what I mean.

Another important thing: I certainly preferred full poly strung low 50's tension in the APD.

KoaUka
01-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Another important thing: I certainly preferred full poly strung low 50's tension in the APD.

Currently using b5e in the mains, bhbr cross at 45/46 and loving it:)

Yourtenniscoach
01-19-2012, 07:49 AM
I don't mean to hijack the thread but if anyone is looking to by an APD GT let me know, I have an extra one laying around I need to sell ;)

Anyone? $130 shipped? Need to sell quickly.

Fuji
01-19-2012, 09:10 AM

Hahaha yes!

Good call, I assumed you were just using a synthetic; the leather should help a lot! A few more grams really wouldn't hurt though.

-Fuji

quest01
01-19-2012, 09:46 AM
I've never had any problem serving with the APD. I can hit flat or with a lot of spin.