PDA

View Full Version : Best for a buttcap: glue or staple?

stormholloway
01-14-2012, 02:43 PM
Butt cap on my new (old) racquet keeps coming off. Anyone try super glue? Any tips to make sure these things stay on?

TaihtDuhShaat
01-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Staples. I tried using plastic epoxy glue in the past, and after a week or so of use, the bonds would always break. I suppose this is the reason the manufacturers use staples. This way the buttcap is mechanically attached. Try using longer staples, or take it to a pro shop.

movdqa
01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
I use very small nails.

stormholloway
01-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Ok so no glue. If my pro shop doesn't have long staples, I guess I'll try the nails.

Thanks.

Can't think of a name
01-14-2012, 07:23 PM
yeah don;t use epoxy. I tried epoxying the butt cap back on my racquet and it ended up cracking the foam in the handle. I think the epoxy dries to such a rigid solid state that it doesnt allow any wiggling of the butt cap. And if you hold the racquet close to the butt cap like i do.. the energy normally being dissipated through the movements of the cap will end up cracking the foam since it is structurally weaker than the epoxy. At least that's my theory.

dode
01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I use four 1/2" staples in mine, and I have never had an issue. I have a Dewalt pneumatic stable gun to put them in.

John

stormholloway
01-14-2012, 08:22 PM
yeah don;t use epoxy. I tried epoxying the butt cap back on my racquet and it ended up cracking the foam in the handle. I think the epoxy dries to such a rigid solid state that it doesnt allow any wiggling of the butt cap. And if you hold the racquet close to the butt cap like i do.. the energy normally being dissipated through the movements of the cap will end up cracking the foam since it is structurally weaker than the epoxy. At least that's my theory.

Makes sense. I bought my sticks off the bay and the seller warned that the butt caps weren't bound in anyway. They came off a lot during play, as I too hold the racquet very low.

ChicagoJack
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
I use electrical tape. It's easy to remove for future mods. It's super thin, and has lots of stretch to it, the stretch factor keeps them on there pretty tight. I have 4 frames done this way, none have popped off.

jamauss
01-14-2012, 09:29 PM
There is a shop out here in Scottsdale AZ that I have do all my butt cap work because they're really good at it. What they do first is wrap the bottom end of the pallets with some tape that almost resembles duct tape but without the gray cover side to it - so it's meshy like duct tape kinda but thinner and see-through kinda. Then they put the butt cap over that, and then they use a bunch of nails that they put in using some kind of pressurized nail gun I think. They do 4 brad-sized nails then 4 thinner smaller nails. Somehow they are able to sort of flatten out the head of the nail or cut it off or something but it always ends up being smooth and pretty much flush with the butt cap surface. I guess the only down size is you're never getting the butt cap off if you wanted to put a new one on, lol. It's very secured on there when they're done. No glue used as far as I know.

Povl Carstensen
01-14-2012, 11:05 PM
I have use two component glue (Araldit) with good results. Left the racket to dry standing on the buttcap 12 hours or so...

travlerajm
01-14-2012, 11:16 PM
I use electrical tape. It's easy to remove for future mods. It's super thin, and has lots of stretch to it, the stretch factor keeps them on there pretty tight. I have 4 frames done this way, none have popped off.

I agree that tape is much better and easier than staples or glue, and very easy to remove if I want to change the length of the racquet later.

But instead of electrical tape, I use the transparent, 2-inch-wide stretchable packing tape. It also very thin, and the width helps get a good grip. Never had one budge after securing it this way - I've done about 20 frames this way.

mellowyellow
01-15-2012, 04:54 AM
If you are comfortable with the raquet specs or dont have any mods inside the buttcap area, the superglue works very well, but I have always used it with the staples that were originally in the cap. It doesnt seem to come apart like an epoxy would. I like it to make the cap seemingly "one" with the handle. I would only do this if the cap is a snug fit though.

neverstopplaying
01-15-2012, 05:05 AM
I agree that tape is much better and easier than staples or glue, and very easy to remove if I want to change the length of the racquet later.

But instead of electrical tape, I use the transparent, 2-inch-wide stretchable packing tape. It also very thin, and the width helps get a good grip. Never had one budge after securing it this way - I've done about 20 frames this way.

Never tried this, but if it works it's definitely the simplest and fastest method. Me like.

rufusbgood
01-15-2012, 12:47 PM
FWIW, in the old days the USRSA used to recommend an adhesive called Dow Corning Urethane Bond which was pretty cheap and readily available at most hardware stores. It's become unavailable in recent years but Greg Raven submitted a similar item to the Techniques and Tips dept a few years back called Ure-Weld (http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/part_detail.jsp?PART_HDR_ID=999). The company that makes it is called SEM, their part #39406. At the time of his submission it was readily available in auto parts stores. As you can see from the link, a 6 oz supply is not cheap. Someone at GSS suggested that Gorilla Glue works well for reattaching butt caps. I haven't tried it. If I found myself unable to staple a cap back on, I would try to find some sort of Urethane adhesive at my local hardware store. Hope this helps.

ChicagoJack
01-15-2012, 04:46 PM
Never tried this, but if it works it's definitely the simplest and fastest method. Me like.

Neverstoppedplaying - Cool, I do three strips, each long enough for 4-5 wraps around. The 1st goes right at the seam. Then the other two strips go over the top of the 1st to the left and right halves, sorta clamping down on the 1st strip. I find that works better than wrapping descending spirals, like bicycle handlebar grips, or tennis racquet grips. - Jack

TravelerAJM - Thanks for the alternate method tip, much appreciated. - Jack

neverstopplaying
01-15-2012, 05:49 PM
Neverstoppedplaying - Cool, I do three strips, each long enough for 4-5 wraps around. The 1st goes right at the seam. Then the other two strips go over the top of the 1st to the left and right halves, sorta clamping down on the 1st strip. I find that works better than wrapping descending spirals, like bicycle handlebar grips, or tennis racquet grips. - Jack

TravelerAJM - Thanks for the alternate method tip, much appreciated. - Jack

Thanks for the extra details.