PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry-on tennis racquets on flight?

oragne lovre
01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I plan to carry-on my 2 newly strung racquets on flight because I don't want baggage handlers mishandle them. I, however, don't want to project an image of "I'm a tennis player" to other passengers. Anyone has any suggestions?

gavna
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
Okayyyy odd and weird but whatever. Head has a new bag that is square and not shaped like a racquet bag. But it does have the HEAD logo on it.

nissrro
01-14-2012, 03:34 PM
lmao.........

djdannyj25
01-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Be proud of your sport! :D

Lendl
01-14-2012, 04:49 PM
Either check your bag or get with David Copperfield to see how to avoid being a "tennis player" while carrying a tennis bag.

eleventeenth street
01-14-2012, 05:22 PM
put them inside of a balloon and swallow them

neverstopplaying
01-14-2012, 06:00 PM
put them inside of a balloon and swallow them

gloloat ...

anhuynh16
01-14-2012, 07:20 PM
Okayyyy odd and weird but whatever. Head has a new bag that is square and not shaped like a racquet bag. But it does have the HEAD logo on it.

The sharapova bags? :)

westside
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I say project the image of you being a tennis player to a greater extent. Strut into the plane wearing your sweatbands, bandana and whatever clothes you wear during a match.

Better yet, get on the plane wearing a Johnny Mac get up. You'll have girls numbers flying at you left, right and center.

gavna
01-14-2012, 08:19 PM

Yep......those and the HEAD women's line have a square bag with compartments for your sticks.......thought it was fitting for the silly post.

gmatheis
01-14-2012, 09:31 PM
I believe rackets are allowed on flights as carry on, however you may want to take everything else out of your bag to make sure it fits in the overhead .... maybe even get a smaller racket bag just for a carry on and check your main tennis bag.

dr325i
01-14-2012, 10:10 PM
I believe rackets are allowed on flights as carry on, however you may want to take everything else out of your bag to make sure it fits in the overhead .... maybe even get a smaller racket bag just for a carry on and check your main tennis bag.

I fly approximately 150,000 miles per year (Europe, Asia, NA) and there are two ways:
Take them on the flight, any tennis bag works -- a 3-pack, Super Monster Combi. I have never had anyone object to my tennis stuff (except once, but I won) on the plane.
1) If it is one of those smaller birds, they will take the bag just before getting on the plane and give it back on your way out...
2) Try to board first so you can stuff them in the overhead compartment before it is taken

subz
01-15-2012, 02:24 AM
1. I put them in my luggage. I have a nice bag with hard shell, big enough for the racquets to be placed (diagonally) in them along with my regular luggage, clothes etc. Since, its a hard shell, the racquets do not get pressed.

2. The other option is the airline have special handling service for sports equipment like golf clubs and tennis bags. You can try that option as well.

gavna
01-15-2012, 06:37 AM
No you all don't get it....he (or she) doesn't want anyone to know that they are a tennis player. They want to carry on the sticks but hide the fact. Goofy

Anton
01-15-2012, 07:27 AM
I plan to carry-on my 2 newly strung racquets on flight because I don't want baggage handlers mishandle them. I, however, don't want to project an image of "I'm a tennis player" to other passengers. Anyone has any suggestions?

You know in spite of what Agassi used to get paid to say, image is not everything.

No one gives a f about you and your tennis rackets ;)

decades
01-15-2012, 07:31 AM
remember how vince van patten dressed when he guess starred on Charlies Angel's? Dress like that when boarding. Be proud.

tball
01-15-2012, 08:26 AM
Get a Dora-the-Explorer bag, and put your racquets in there, with the handles sticking out. This will definitely not stir any suspicions about you being a tennis player.

subz
01-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Get a Dora-the-Explorer bag, and put your racquets in there, with the handles sticking out. This will definitely not stir any suspicions about you being a tennis player.

Good idea ! You will most likely get very special treatment; get a goodies bag with a model plane and might get to meet the captain. I say go for the Dora bag.

coolblue123
01-15-2012, 05:29 PM
gosh I always put my racquets in pants and if ppl ask, I respond, "I am happy to see u."

Magnetite
01-15-2012, 05:58 PM
I usually take them carry-on, but from my Mexico to Canada flight I wasn't allowed ..

I payed $40 and checked them in, and thankfully nothing happened to them.

Playtimefun
01-15-2012, 06:07 PM
I was suprised to see that someone earlier with a lot of flight experience says that he is allowed to carry them on.

The gf and I flew from Saskatchewan to Denver to Texas for a week at the Newcombe tennis academy and we were told explicitly that we could not take them as carry on. Friends were told the same thing when they tried to do carry on.

They are now supposedly considered "possible weapons".

We just make sure that they are well wrapped in clothes in our suitcases now.

WhiteStripes
01-15-2012, 06:29 PM
I've never had a problem carrying racquets as carry-on, and I've done it dozens of times (only domestic flights). But I've never traveled with more than two sticks, and I just put them in a clear full-length plastic bag (those that you get with a new racquet) and tie off the end. I've never attempted to bring my big racquet bags on a flight as carry-on because of the size.

ThomasTerrible
01-15-2012, 11:47 PM

I think Sharapova wouldn't be happy if she knew you're calling them "bags". Maybe in 15 years' time they'll resemble bags:-P

subz
01-16-2012, 01:29 AM
I was suprised to see that someone earlier with a lot of flight experience says that he is allowed to carry them on.

The gf and I flew from Saskatchewan to Denver to Texas for a week at the Newcombe tennis academy and we were told explicitly that we could not take them as carry on. Friends were told the same thing when they tried to do carry on.

They are now supposedly considered "possible weapons".

We just make sure that they are well wrapped in clothes in our suitcases now.

This is correct. I was surprised that someone mentioned that you could carry-on racquets. Depends on the airline and whether you fly domestic or international ?

Anton
01-16-2012, 05:55 AM
I've been taking rackets in regular racket covers on national and international flights every year - never a problem, never had to check them in.

toucano
01-16-2012, 07:07 AM
Just a quick question, not sure if its been resolved already.
How do the strings hold up on arrival?
is it better to string when you arrive?
i will take a racquet with me when i travel to Thailand.
is it worth leaving them unstrung ?

Anton
01-16-2012, 08:05 AM

? You mean if you string them for low temperatures but get to play in hot weather? It just going to be looser feeling...

Kam2010
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Just carry them as hand luggage thats what I will be doing you never know you might meet people there who may take an interest and welcome playing you or whatever.

EKnee08
01-16-2012, 08:12 AM
gosh I always put my racquets in pants and if ppl ask, I respond, "I am happy to see u."

Does that mean you are a member of the band LMFAO?...

Seriously, I went to Mexico for Christmas (first time I didn't take my racquets on vacation) and at the Cancun airport on the return flight, they confiscated someone's sticks and bags. Very weird.

I always carried them on flights in tennis bag, which you can also use as carryon for remainder of your non-tennis stuff.

Also, as an alternative why not use a tennis knapsack style bag, if you are concerned about coming across as too serious a tennis player

dr325i
01-16-2012, 08:49 AM
This is correct. I was surprised that someone mentioned that you could carry-on racquets. Depends on the airline and whether you fly domestic or international ?

Guys, it is a total BS!
THe rackets are allowed on EVERY Airliner, just do not make fuss out of it and carry them in, through the security ,etc...
There is NO official policy on them, therefore, they are no banned.

As I already said I flew a lot domestic (US), domestic (EU), domestic (inside China) and Worldwide from Canada to US to Asia to EU and ALWAYS had my rackets and my Super 6/MonstedCombi with me, no exceptions!

This includes everything from ATR (little prop) to A380.

If you point out and ask the agent, they may tell you something that is not official, therefore, make you check in.

tball
01-16-2012, 08:31 PM
I recently ordered pallets from Europe. They ended up detained by Homeland security. I had to certify -- in writing -- the chemical composition, the country of origin, and the purpose of those things. No joke!

eagle
01-16-2012, 08:45 PM

I've never had problems with the racquets or the strings after a long flight ... Hawaii to East Coast and back.

Mahalo,
eagle

Tennis in Hawaii: http://www.tennisinhawaii.com
Stringing info: http://www.keohi.com/tennis

TennisLovaLova
01-16-2012, 11:53 PM
Never had this problem.
I dont fly regular commercial airlines, I use my Dassault Falcon 45 with basalt finish.

RetroSpin
01-17-2012, 06:58 AM
I looked into this a few months ago. The TSA website specifies which sports equipment is allowed as carryon and which is banned. Guess what? They don't mention racquets one way or the other. I have carried them on and seen others do it domestically on smaller regional jets. I have also read of people being refused boarding with them, so I guess it all depends.

I can report that I have carried dozens of loose golf balls in my carryon with no complaints.

McLovin
01-17-2012, 07:43 AM
I flew JetBlue from Washington DC (Dulles) to Ft Lauderdale the week of Christmas (e.g. 4 weeks ago). I had 5 rackets in my bag, along w/ a ton of other tennis gear. No one said a thing to me, or even gave me 2nd glance, when I carried them on.

In addition, I noticed tons of other people in line at security doing the same thing. Nobody had a problem.

zcarzach
01-17-2012, 07:50 AM

This made me laugh a lot more than it should have. Good one!

stan2004
07-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I looked into this a few months ago. The TSA website specifies which sports equipment is allowed as carryon and which is banned. Guess what? They don't mention racquets one way or the other. I have carried them on and seen others do it domestically on smaller regional jets. I have also read of people being refused boarding with them, so I guess it all depends.

Just looked into this - the TSA blog from March 2012 says:

Sporting Goods: Golf clubs, tennis rackets, baseball bats (including the mini slugger bats), cricket bats, bows and arrows, hockey sticks, scuba knives, spear guns, etc. are all prohibited from being carried onto the plane

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/03/spring-forward-spring-break-travel-tips.html

OldFedIsOld
07-11-2012, 02:42 PM
Just looked into this - the TSA blog from March 2012 says:

Sporting Goods: Golf clubs, tennis rackets, baseball bats (including the mini slugger bats), cricket bats, bows and arrows, hockey sticks, scuba knives, spear guns, etc. are all prohibited from being carried onto the plane

http://blog.tsa.gov/2012/03/spring-forward-spring-break-travel-tips.html

TSA has failed once again.... I wouldn't trust the baggage workers with my racquets, have you seen what they do to your luggage?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWS7Y4pbEbs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkJp54AKUus

SweetH2O
07-11-2012, 03:12 PM
I had no problems carrying one racquet in a racquet cover on a domestic Delta flight in May of this year. I had checked Delta's policy beforehand and it falls under their "Fragile and Bulky Baggage" policy.

I didn't think to look at the TSA website at the time, but didn't have any trouble getting through security.

mikeler
07-11-2012, 04:48 PM
The solution here is so simple. Just charter your own private jet. Game set and match BADA BING!

backatcha
07-11-2012, 07:31 PM
I travel a lot internationally and recently (particularly in the last year) it has become a real problem to travel with the racquets. It is still possible to get them though as carry-on but I just don't want to deal with the "possible" issue anymore... I would rather focus on the fun stuff - Like a pat-down!

But seriously folks, I still bring my regular (large 9 racquet bag) as carry-on but do not travel with the racquets in the racquet bag, rather I weave my racquets between the layers of clothes in my checked bags. My tennis bag stays nice and clean, and it works great because it's a really big carry-on. My racquets stay safe in the checked bags until I arrive and suit up.

Obviously, a tennis bag can be much larger than the required dimensions for carry-ons but remember it can also be "squished up" if they ever call you on it... so just pack a lot of soft stuff in it and you're unstoppable!

oragne lovre
08-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Backatcha,

Sorry for a very late followup on this topic but I just want to let you know that your advice worked very well for me. I wove racquets with clothes, put them in a checked bag, took them out at destination, and did not notice any big discrepancy in appearance, string tension.

Thanks.

DownTheLineWith90
08-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Stuff some clothes in your racket bag and just let the baggage handlers handle it.
I've had no experiences (I fly back and forth from Asia to NA over 10 times a year) of my rackets cracked, chipped, or damaged in any way.

ASH1485
08-18-2012, 10:39 PM
I travel a lot internationally and recently (particularly in the last year) it has become a real problem to travel with the racquets. It is still possible to get them though as carry-on but I just don't want to deal with the "possible" issue anymore... I would rather focus on the fun stuff - Like a pat-down!

But seriously folks, I still bring my regular (large 9 racquet bag) as carry-on but do not travel with the racquets in the racquet bag, rather I weave my racquets between the layers of clothes in my checked bags. My tennis bag stays nice and clean, and it works great because it's a really big carry-on. My racquets stay safe in the checked bags until I arrive and suit up.

Obviously, a tennis bag can be much larger than the required dimensions for carry-ons but remember it can also be "squished up" if they ever call you on it... so just pack a lot of soft stuff in it and you're unstoppable!

This is the master plan

Harry_Wild
08-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Box them in a rectangle shape and then carry them on board. Nobody will know they are tennis rackets. You are very strange person. I carry tennis rackets on board planes and nobody but other tennis "pro" players every said anything to me. They usually ask what tournament I was going to?

martini1
08-20-2012, 12:38 AM
A lot of international flights won't let you carry on a racket. So my best solution is just make sure my suit case can fit one or two of them nicely. Those light weight hard cases are great for tennis rackets.

Never had any problems with them in a suit case if you put some clothes around them as paddings.

okaythen
01-30-2013, 03:34 AM
hi guys I plan to bring 1 racquet and put it in my backpack (high school backpacks) so I guess the handle and mid section will stick out and carry it on flight with me. I will just put it in overhead compartment do you think they will allow that?

If they don't allow that my suitcase is small it won't fit in there. I will need to just give the racquet to them I guess and it will count as a luggage? anyone ever done that and did anything happen to your racquets? afraid that it will get mishandled.

njsigman
01-30-2013, 04:22 AM
You wont have a problem doing that.

Anton
01-30-2013, 04:30 AM
I've been taking rackets in regular racket covers on national and international flights every year - never a problem, never had to check them in.

Just to update - had a problem on one international flight, they made me go back and hand in(for $$) my 3-racket bag.

There is no consistency on this, some bag checkers will let you go through with tennis rackets some won't.

RollTrackTake
01-30-2013, 08:53 PM
l'll travel two racquets at most and for work trips just one. If it's one I'll put it in a racquet cover bag, then sandwich it between clothes. If it's 2 I sandwich each between clothes. Never do I put my liquids anywhere near them.
I use a large adidas duffle bag similar to this http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/adidas_Defender_Duffel_Bag_Medium/descpageBGAGRON-ADDBMPRO.html

not sure why TW doesn't sell the Large version.

Crisp
01-30-2013, 09:02 PM
Recently I flew Australia to New Zealand for some itfs there was a sign at the airport specifically detailing that racquets were not allowed as carry-on. Also a coach I work with had a reel of string confiscated as he could possibly strangle people with it.

Anton
02-15-2013, 07:24 AM
Recently I flew Australia to New Zealand for some itfs there was a sign at the airport specifically detailing that racquets were not allowed as carry-on. Also a coach I work with had a reel of string confiscated as he could possibly strangle people with it.

And thank god coach wasn't resourceful enough to strangle the pilot with his shoe laces.

Who the f comes up with these ******** rules?

Mongolmike
02-15-2013, 07:43 AM

Was it a multifilament? Most polys are too stiff to get a good grip on it, but something like a textured string or shaped extruded string might work.

Wait... are my private thoughts being projected onto the screen?? :oops:

gavna
02-15-2013, 07:48 AM
Just to update - had a problem on one international flight, they made me go back and hand in(for $$) my 3-racket bag.

There is no consistency on this, some bag checkers will let you go through with tennis rackets some won't.

From where???? I fly for a living and take my 12 paks all over the world and the only real issues ever have been in Australia/NZ........About 4 weeks ago from PHL a TSA agent didn't know and I had her recheck the prohibited list and Tennis Racquets are NOT listed and I went merrily on my way with all my sticks.

Anton
02-15-2013, 07:53 AM
From where???? I fly for a living and take my 12 paks all over the world and the only real issues ever have been in Australia/NZ........About 4 weeks ago from PHL a TSA agent didn't know and I had her recheck the prohibited list and Tennis Racquets are NOT listed and I went merrily on my way with all my sticks.

TSA is not a problem, I can carry on rackets going into Mexico, but coming out of Mexico (cancun) - there was an explicit sign, no tennis rackets permitted as carry ons.

dman72
02-15-2013, 08:17 AM
Was it a multifilament? Most polys are too stiff to get a good grip on it, but something like a textured string or shaped extruded string might work.

Wait... are my private thoughts being projected onto the screen?? :oops:

I use Kevlar strings to strangle.....whoops, didn't know I was thinking out loud. :confused:

I kid, I kid. I use a telephone cord. :shock: