PDA

View Full Version : Anyone serve and play otherwise with different racquets??

dode
01-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I really do not like doing that, but I cannot find a single racquet that I can serve my best and hit the best ground strokes with. Here is what I am playing right now:

Serves: Volkl Powerbridge 9 (weighted to 7 pts HL and 340 grams) strung with Gamma TNT 17

Non-Serves: Boris Becker 11 (7 pts HL and 360 grams) strung with Technifibre PolySpin 16L/Gosen OG Sheep Micro 17

My serve is phenomenal with the Powerbridge, but I just don't have much control on ground strokes. I also tend to hit long with it. I strung a second one up with the same PolySpin/OG Sheep combo as the BB11 and it just didn't do much for me. Serves weren't quite as good as with the Gamma TNT, and I hit a lot of ground strokes and serves into the net. With the BB11, my serves are decent (above average still, but not the real weapon it is with the PB), and plus it is a little heavy to swing.

Does anyone else have this issue? It isn't too bad in doubles, but in singles it could become a real issue with some longer rallies. Should I keep trying different strings in the PB? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

DeShaun
01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I have been doing this lately with much improved success in matches. Formerly, I would change from one to another stick in mid-match only if the one's grip had become too sweat-soaked. Having resigned, now, all efforts at trying to match perfectly the playing characteristics of my two (identical model) sticks, I simply use the one which excels on serve during my service games, and the other, with which my hand on ground strokes feels appreciably more connected to the ball, for my return games. I'm getting more cheap points on serve than ever, while getting my teeth more consistently into opponents' services. Don't know why this method of use had never occurred to me before. Suppose it's because I was obsessed with trying to match the racquets' specs, their playing characteristics, the types of balls they each might be made to produce like the other, etc. that that obsession blinded me to the possibility that each racquet may be unique and have only a limited range of optimal use vis a vis all others available.

The decision came down to the following reasoning: If the one, strong-serving stick gives me three cheap points to every one rally that I must contest, that's a seventy-five percent success rate. Compared to the other stick, which gives me between one and two cheap points per service game, it's clear that I must serve with the first stick, if my goal is to hold with maximum ease. Similarly, the other stick with which I feel much more connected to the ball off the ground confers an advantage that I would be foolish to cede away when aiming to break serve.

The other day, while I had been rolling along through a set of singles, holding just fine, I failed to notice until the score had gone to deuce once or twice that I was serving with the ground stroke racquet. Until then, I had been changing sticks every other game according to my method. At last, I was finally broken. Because I became aware of my tool during mid-game, I do not regard the outcome of that incident as the product of a blind experiment; though I will hasten to point out that my going to deuce even just once, is not typical when serving with my strong-serving stick.

benjamins_80
01-15-2012, 08:26 AM
I actually saw a really high level doubles player use one racquet for serve and another the rest of the time. (by high level I mean retired pro) it was the same frame but different strings.

dode
01-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Hey Benjamins...good to see another KC person!!

It just pains me to have to use something different, especially since I am hoping to play some league singles and tournaments this summer. I just don't think that is going to work near as well playing singles as it does in doubles. Since starting to play again last fall, I have really struggled to find equipment that I like. I never had that issue in the past, but nothing seems to feel just right.

John