PDA

View Full Version : Better Backhand: Gaudio or Federer?

prostaff1
07-18-2005, 02:44 PM
Any Thoughts? Thanks!

Andres
07-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Gaudio himself got a better backhand than Federer, but when his head is messed up, his backhand is worst than my halfcourt three point shooting ;)

So my choice is Federer's

Kirko
07-18-2005, 02:52 PM
Gaudio himself got a better backhand than Federer, but when his head is messed up, his backhand is worst than my halfcourt three point shooting ;)

So my choice is Federer's Exactly ! Gaudio is kind of a head case".

gugafanatic
07-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Gaudio tries to hit backhands drives even if he is pushed ridiculously out of court. He rarely slices and approaches the net. I would take Gugas backhand over both Gaudio and Fed any day.

prostaff1
07-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Interesting point gugafanatic about Gaudio not slicing too much...thanks for responding.

And I would have to agree with you Andres, Gaudio seems not to care sometimes- so your point is well taken. Thanks

Rodzilla
07-18-2005, 03:54 PM
When it's all going right, Gaudio's backhand has to be better. In terms of reliability, Federer. They are both pretty beautiful. If these two were tied for first, Guga would probably be the close second.

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 04:10 PM
After watching what Federer did to Hewitt with his backhand at Wimbledon... Federer hands down.

Meat
07-18-2005, 05:35 PM
With Federer's backhand, almost everything is a passing shot or sharp angle. He does drive it sometimes, but it's not the best backhand. His DTL drive backhand is average, actually. But he has the best sharp angles in the ATP tour currently.

Gaudio is opposite. He drives the ball where he wants it, but I don't know about any angle game.

You decide which is better.

Serving155
07-18-2005, 05:40 PM
There is and never will be another backhand like Federer's. His motion is flawless. His follow through + confidence = deadly. Gaudio is ok but only Federer can use his backhand as a lethal weapon.

TwistServe
07-18-2005, 05:43 PM
Gaudio has a great looking backhand but it isn't as effective as others like Federer, Gasquet, and Guga... Just appearance wise, Gaudio's is very elegant.

ragnaROK
07-18-2005, 06:26 PM
Gaudio has a better looking one but Fed's backhand is more versatile and he can do so much with it. Fed may not have as much pop on it as Gaudio, but he sures knows how to use it!

splink779
07-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Best at topspin - Kuerten
Best at drive - Gasquet
Most versatile - Federer

Federer is not at the top of the list when it comes to driving his backhand from the baseline, although his pass is incredible.

RafaN RichardG
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
which one do you think has the best combo of all three?

splink779
07-18-2005, 07:10 PM
Federer has the best combo. But we'll have to watch Gasquet it is an incredible shot.

AAUS
07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
In both Gasquet/Fed matches, Gasquet consistently outhit Federer off the backhand side, When they met in the final, Fed just didn't let Gasquet go bh/bh with him anymore

Gasquet 4TW

jeebeesus
07-18-2005, 07:15 PM
it` like asking someone to choose betweeen a Porsche and a Ferrari

esrb
07-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Guga´s !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

x Southpaw x
07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
it` like asking someone to choose betweeen a Porsche and a Ferrari
You mean one looks better while the other is more effective? Fed's more effective, maybe Gaudio looks better hmmmmm

Meat
07-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Wow, thanks for contributing, and saying something nobody else has ever said before.

Gaudio's backhand is fine. It looks good, and plays well for pace. Guga's is better however, and I saw Gasquet blow out Federer on the backhand side as someone else said.

All Federer's backhand stands out in is hitting those passing shots and angles. That's certainly good and important, but I don't think anyone can say it's the most versatile.

x Southpaw x
07-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Wow, thanks for contributing, and saying something nobody else has ever said before.

Gaudio's backhand is fine. It looks good, and plays well for pace. Guga's is better however, and I saw Gasquet blow out Federer on the backhand side as someone else said.

All Federer's backhand stands out in is hitting those passing shots and angles. That's certainly good and important, but I don't think anyone can say it's the most versatile.
:shock: ROFL. I believe those passing shots are show that he can pull off winner BH even under tremendous pressure from an approach shot and an approaching player?

Meat
07-18-2005, 07:46 PM
And did I not say that the short angles and passing shots were important? Unfortunately, the only thing that stands out about his backhand.

Here, you are trying to disagree with me...even though I stated exactly what you said. Still defending justice, huh?

On another note, Henin-Hardenne's backhand is one of the best backhands to watch. The results speak for themselves as well, although I see Gasquet developing the best backhand in the game.

gugafanatic
07-19-2005, 05:23 AM
For those who think Feds backhand is better then Gasquet and Guga, I suggest having a look at the archives.

Guga vs Fed FO 04- Federer was totally outplayed from the baseline, Guga hitting some terrific angles and great disguise with the bh dropshot. I have never seen Fed soo off-balance.

Gasquet vs Fed MC 05- Overpowered by Gasquet's backhand. It was incredible because Richard was hitting winners with his backhand off service returns, just stepping in and ripping the ball. Something very rarely seen from Fed. Infact I recall both Federer and Nadal trying to keep the ball away from Gasquets backhand.

All you Fed fans are wishful thinkers.

Babblelot
07-19-2005, 06:12 AM
Gaudio tries to hit backhands drives even if he is pushed ridiculously out of court. He rarely slices and approaches the net...
That's actually one thing I found most impressive about Gaudio. He can take a ball at or above his shoulder and absolutely pound it, repeatedly. I'd take Gaudio's BH on clay and for style points, and Federer's for every other surface and every other reason.

friedalo1
07-19-2005, 10:50 PM
Federer has a better all court game than any of the atp players right now. You have to be good on both sides. Gaudio has a better backhand. So what? His forehand sucks.

Prince_of_Tennis
07-19-2005, 10:55 PM
Federer has a better all court game than any of the atp players right now. You have to be good on both sides. Gaudio has a better backhand. So what? His forehand sucks.

Because this thread about backhands..... :mad:

Jon Hampton
07-20-2005, 09:01 AM
Federer has the best backhand. It's not as strong as Gaudio's, but it's certainly a lot more stable.

fastdunn
07-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Federer's backhand is not as enforcing as Guga's, Gaudio's and Gasquet's.

Rabbit
07-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Gaudio's backhand is technically better. Federer between the ears beat Gaudio's technique every time. If I were building Federer, I'd give him Gaudio's backhand over the one he has.

kicker75
07-20-2005, 12:01 PM
I think Gasquet will have the best backhand in the game very soon, if not already...

AAUS
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Yup and he has a shot nobody else has right now, a jumping ohbh with the same legwork as the twohander
Once Gasquet learns to use his backhand more intelligently, it wil be the best in the world because right now he's trying to hit winners off everything

Andres
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Why are we talking about one handed backhands as if they're the best backhand? ;)
I know the thread it's about Fed and Gaston, but why Nalbandian's, Safin's or Kafelnikov two handed's mentioned? :p

rafael
07-21-2005, 09:42 AM
Depends on the surface. I was blown away by Guadio in FO 2004. He was able to hit shots from anywhere and go from defense to offense with ease (sliding backwards and hitting a shot on the rise for a winner). But Federer at Wimbledon this year was just unreal and was probably the best shot making I have seen. Gasquet's go for broke backhand is a bit of a fluke right now and it will be interesting to see if he continues to do that later in his career. I doubt Federer is willing to take the sort of risks with his backhand as often as Gasquet is who takes full swings while jumping in the air at head level balls down the line. Federer would just play the higher percentage shot and just slice it back.

Defcon
07-21-2005, 12:37 PM
There's a basic difference between Fed's groundstrokes and nearly everyone else, and its especially obvious on the bh.

Fed has a very wristy action and he rolls over the ball a lot more - this lets him hit those insane crosscourt dipping passing shots, and gives him a lot of control and consistnecy, but little power. Most other players hit through the ball like its taught. Fed also has the power drive but he doesn't seem comfortable using it and is most likely to overhit that shot.

OVerall his bh suits his game fine. He cannot overpower or control points from that side but he doesn't want to. For Henin, Gasquet, Gaudio, Guga, the bh is obviously as big if not bigger than their fh. That will never be the case for Fed and his bh will continue to be a relative 'weakness' compared to the rest of his game.

doriancito
07-22-2005, 11:11 AM
gaudio has a better technique for his backhand but federer get it with more speed and deep so wee'd just have to see a match between those 2. but ive heard federer has improved his BH a lot

donnyz89
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Any Thoughts? Thanks!

huh!!?? i remember last years FO when gaudio hit the backhand winner. after the match, they were saying how if he was surprised to hit a winne with BH that is his weaker shot.

Rickson
07-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Federer's backhand is much better than Gaudio's.

donnyz89
07-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Federer's backhand is much better than Gaudio's.

yea thats what i would think... is this even a debate? its like... henman forehand vs safin forehand.

is gaudio even known for his backhand? just because he hits 1hbh doesnt compare him to federer.

Max G.
07-22-2005, 07:26 PM
yea thats what i would think... is this even a debate? its like... henman forehand vs safin forehand.

is gaudio even known for his backhand? just because he hits 1hbh doesnt compare him to federer.

Yeah, Gaudio is definitely known for his one-hander... that's really all he's known for, that and choking ;-)

But he's got one of the best claycourt backhands out there, certainly close to or on par with gasquet/federer/safin/others when on clay. Off clay... well, I don't think he's won back-to-back matches off of clay for a couple of years now...

tennis4losers
07-23-2005, 06:23 PM
Federer but dont try to copy it. It screws up your elbow (learned from "my friends" mistake)

Speedy_tennis
07-23-2005, 06:24 PM
open a poll!

xanctus
07-25-2005, 10:12 AM
I like Federer better...but to me the classic backhander is always Steffan Edberg hehehe