PDA

View Full Version : Do you tighten your core on all of your shots?

Zachol82
01-14-2012, 11:11 PM
Obviously, we all know that core strength is important in Tennis. However, do you consciously tighten your core whenever you hit? I notice that it helps me greatly with my power, spin and pretty much everything really. I feel like I can put more of my body into my shots this way.

user92626
01-15-2012, 01:49 PM
You know what, just place your focus or conscious action on, and from which everything will fall in place:

- Swing your racket head as fast as possible.

- Here's a good analogy: to run as fast as you physically can (and everyone knows how to run, right?), quicken your legs movement as fast as you can. It's the same thing in swinging a racket. You'll see which muscles are engaged, and what amount of tension or not is needed.

BU-Tennis
01-15-2012, 07:26 PM
I for one do not focus on tightening the core on any shot. Creating tension contracts the muscle prematurely so you lose power and speed. However, I do notice on some forehands where the ball is lower or higher, outside of my comfort zone, that all the muscles in body have much more tension at the end of a swing, although I could not tell you why. Perhaps someone else may be able to elaborate on that point?