PDA

View Full Version : Help buying a new raquet

Carlos A.
01-15-2012, 02:53 AM
Hi there. Due to some injury issues in my back I want to change my racquet. I have been playing with a Babolat Pure Drive 318gr for six years. I am 44 years old, 5.8 feet tall and 139 lb weight. I am a baseliner with moderate spin, level moderate to advance (I play since I was a child and I played championship when I was a teenager). I have thought about a very light racquet with a lot of power, with weight on the head and not stiff. Regards

fuzz nation
01-15-2012, 07:25 AM
I have thought about a very light racquet with a lot of power, with weight on the head and not stiff. Regards

Howdy. Your list of wants in a racquet are already sort of in opposition to each other, especially since you're looking to switch away from a Pure Drive. Your racquet has moderate weight and lots of stiffness - that's where much of its "pop" comes from now, although I don't know what sort of string setup you're using with it.

While a lighter racquet will probably be easier to swing if its not especially head heavy in balance, it will also have much less liveliness or a basic capacity to thump the ball if it's also flexible. Typically the lighter racquets become in their design, the stiffer they're made in order to compensate for that lower inertia they bring to the ball. You might want to have a try with a Babolat Storm model to see how a racquet with a familiar grip shape and more flex than your PD works in action on the courts (in case you haven't sampled one yet).

Other possibilities include the Pacific X Force and X Force Comp, Wilson BLX Tour, and Prince EXO3 Tour Team.

goherd27
01-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Hi there. Due to some injury issues in my back I want to change my racquet. I have been playing with a Babolat Pure Drive 318gr for six years. I am 44 years old, 5.8 feet tall and 139 lb weight. I am a baseliner with moderate spin, level moderate to advance (I play since I was a child and I played championship when I was a teenager). I have thought about a very light racquet with a lot of power, with weight on the head and not stiff. Regards

I would look at the volkl v1 or perhaps the Becker London. The v1 is well known for arm and shoulder friendliness. I began using the London after an injury and it was a great racquet for my arm.