PDA

View Full Version : I coundn't finish the set (5-2) :((

brc7
01-15-2012, 03:53 AM
Well today there was my 4th tennis match ( i lost my 2 matches and won 1 match) anyway, the match had to be at 10,30 a.m. but there were some problems at the club so the match was delayed to 11,30 a.m. First, this made me a little mad cause i woke up very early in the morning and could sleep only 5 hours, because i had a homework to do yesterday night. Anyway, the match was about to canceled but later, we decided to play it at 11,30 . I was not nervous or excited at all. I played very well at the first set and i won the set ( 6-3) . However, the nightmare began on the second set. At first it was very good. The score was 4-1 and i was like "i will get it, it is easy now" And then the other player made it to 4-2 , later 5-3. I was still like "well she is close but i will definetely make it. i only need one set point." And that woman just appeared next to the court. There is an 50 year old tennis mad woman who talks a lot and tries to give order or to get involved in every situation.. In short, i don't like her... During the matches she kept asking me the score all time.. Once I hit a winner or missed shot, she asked what the score was blah blah... I couldn't warn her because i tried to focus on the match and i did not want to get angry, and she is older than me, you know.. I couldn't believe that i let my opponent to make it 5-5 :(( She won the second and the third sets , as you guess , the match score was 2-1. I still can't believe how i couldn't finish it. Well she hit many lucky shots, but i could still make it, you know. I just want to know if something like this ever happened to you .. If i knew that it can happen to anyone, i may feel more relieved.. ..:( :neutral:

BobFL
01-15-2012, 08:50 AM
It happened to every single player on this planet :) Relax, you'll learn how to control your emotions and close the match :) It comes with tennis mileage :)

NLBwell
01-15-2012, 08:55 AM
A good and true answer by BobFL.

As Roseanne Rosanna Danna said, "It's always something."

Tmano
01-15-2012, 09:37 AM
In my opinion you were more thinking about " she getting close but I can still make it" instead of focusing on your game like you were doing so well. You relaxed too much! Somehow and this is normal you felt too confident you could win that match because you were still leading 4/2. But that's tennis and "never say never". Plus your opponent used a bit of experience if we can call it like that throwing you off your game distracting with the score.
Next time you play her you know what you got to do:)

stormholloway
01-15-2012, 10:51 AM
You shouldn't repress your emotions like that. Tell her to eff off next time.

HunterST
01-15-2012, 07:32 PM
A few weeks ago, I lost a set 7-6(9) after being up 5-0.

mikeler
01-16-2012, 04:01 AM
I just won a set down 5-2 with my opponent serving. Had to save 3 set points. Took it 9-7 in the breaker. Sometimes my opponents do the same thing to me. It happens, move on from it.

Andreas1965
01-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Last Saturday I was leading 6:0 / 4:0, when my opponent won his first game. I thought "well, maybe he deserves a game, so it's not such a punishment for him".
To make a long story short, I lost the set 4:6.

It was extremely hard to focus again in the third, which I won by 6:3, but was really strugglin'.

My opponent wasn't a too good player, but during set 2 and 3 he had the better mental abilities... I was simply choking.

mikeler
01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Had 2 break points to go up 5-1 today. Lost 4 and 2. Bummer!

DeShaun
01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
I've turned around the score a couple of times after being down 2-5 but the only time that I actually lost a set after being up 5-2 was in mixed doubles where the opponents had the stronger female and I was the stronger male. It was a casual match for the most part where my team was steamrolling the other and it came time for me to serve out the set but my teammate wanted to serve so I said "go ahead" and our opponents had no objection. We lost that game. Then our opponents held. Now it was my chance to serve out the set. But I was still bothered by having lost the eighth game. Plus, I could see that our opponents were gaining belief that they might win the set; I guess the pressure and my inability to refocus and not stay angry got to me and I was broken for the first time. We lost that set 5-7. . .I was outside of my body and beside myself extremely peeved. Don't feel bad, OP. Everyone takes their turn being on the wrong end of a choke job.

brc7
01-17-2012, 03:48 AM
wow guys thank you so much!. It is good for me to know that it is normal. I feel better now.. well, next time i will try to focus on the game all the time.

brc7
01-17-2012, 03:52 AM
I've turned around the score a couple of times after being down 2-5 but the only time that I actually lost a set after being up 5-2 was in mixed doubles where the opponents had the stronger female and I was the stronger male. It was a casual match for the most part where my team was steamrolling the other and it came time for me to serve out the set but my teammate wanted to serve so I said "go ahead" and our opponents had no objection. We lost that game. Then our opponents held. Now it was my chance to serve out the set. But I was still bothered by having lost the eighth game. Plus, I could see that our opponents were gaining belief that they might win the set; I guess the pressure and my inability to refocus and not stay angry got to me and I was broken for the first time. We lost that set 5-7. . .I was outside of my body and beside myself extremely peeved. Don't feel bad, OP. Everyone takes their turn being on the wrong end of a choke job.

that is a good example. In the first set, my opponent made it 0-2 , but i had never felt frustrated and focused on the game. So that's how i made it 6-3 . but i have to learn to do this even while i am playing the match point.

brc7
01-17-2012, 03:53 AM
In my opinion you were more thinking about " she getting close but I can still make it" instead of focusing on your game like you were doing so well. You relaxed too much! Somehow and this is normal you felt too confident you could win that match because you were still leading 4/2. But that's tennis and "never say never". Plus your opponent used a bit of experience if we can call it like that throwing you off your game distracting with the score.
Next time you play her you know what you got to do:)
well you are so right. I guess i relaxed too much :D Also, she was a little lucky :P Anyway, i know what to do next now ;)

brc7
01-17-2012, 03:54 AM
It happened to every single player on this planet :) Relax, you'll learn how to control your emotions and close the match :) It comes with tennis mileage :)

Thank you !! This helped a lot :)