PDA

View Full Version : Prince Port-Style Frames

Al1978
01-15-2012, 08:59 AM
I've been considering trying out one of the new Prince racquets, either the Rebel 98 or the Warrior, and wanted to get Prince users' take on the difficulty, or lack thereof, of stringing the port-style frames. I'm not a stringer myself, but would like to get started stringing my own racquets soon. I came across a post on the Guts N' Glory Tennis blog that's very critical of the Prince frames from a stringer's perspective. [Edit: I can't link the actual post per TT rules, apparently].

Does anyone else share this very negative opinion of the Prince frames'? Since I don't string, I can't fully comprehend or visualize the problems mentioned. I just wanted to get more takes on whether or not these frames are truly a bear to string, or if only a very picky stringer and/or advanced player (I'm a 4.0) would notice these issues.

tinyman
01-15-2012, 10:15 AM
I have a Prince EXO3 Tour, and I string at home using an Alpha String Pal. Two point mounting, flying clamps - a basic setup, compared to many. I find the EXO3 ports no more difficult to string than any other racquet, it just requires that I use a 50/50 two-piece method, instead of top-down for the crosses. It's not harder by any means, as long as I do the 50/50.

Hey, getting the string through something as wide as a port is technically a bit easier than going through a grommet I guess ;).

DeShaun
01-15-2012, 10:37 AM
I've been considering trying out one of the new Prince racquets, either the Rebel 98 or the Warrior, and wanted to get Prince users' take on the difficulty, or lack thereof, of stringing the port-style frames. I'm not a stringer myself, but would like to get started stringing my own racquets soon. I came across a post on the Guts N' Glory Tennis blog that's very critical of the Prince frames from a stringer's perspective. [Edit: I can't link the actual post per TT rules, apparently].

Does anyone else share this very negative opinion of the Prince frames'? Since I don't string, I can't fully comprehend or visualize the problems mentioned. I just wanted to get more takes on whether or not these frames are truly a bear to string, or if only a very picky stringer and/or advanced player (I'm a 4.0) would notice these issues.

It's easy. Use either the 50/50 method, or call Prince and they'll mail you a Boomerang for free. It's not so much that one would have to be picky or advanced to notice what's different about stringing frames that have ports, it's just that one must realize and accept that without a Boomerang or knowledge (very quickly attained) of the 50/50 method there is almost no getting around a certain challenge, which you will discover unless your stringing machine happens to have a brake. . .or you have a Boomerang, or you have taken the requisite ten minutes to learn the 50/50 pattern. It's this simple. It's not tricky.

sansaephanh
01-15-2012, 12:00 PM
I have a Prince EXO3 Tour, and I string at home using an Alpha String Pal. Two point mounting, flying clamps - a basic setup, compared to many. I find the EXO3 ports no more difficult to string than any other racquet, it just requires that I use a 50/50 two-piece method, instead of top-down for the crosses. It's not harder by any means, as long as I do the 50/50.

Hey, getting the string through something as wide as a port is technically a bit easier than going through a grommet I guess ;).

I just started stringing myself with a cheap Gamma X-2 weight drop stringer and I shouldn't have understood half of what you said lol.

I own a few O3 sharks (great stick) and a few rebels (also a great stick). Stringing these sticks are a ridiculous hassle without 2 things:

A brake to stop the racket from rotating left to right. You need the brake because when you string the crosses, you need to keep the string against the cross cause there is no port holes to hold it down or nothing to keep the string from putting to much pressure on the port holes(port holes apply to the old Rebel 95 which has port holes to guide the strings through) and breaking them. My friend broke them my Rebels cause he is an idiot lol. You can't keep pressure without a brake. I had to improvise and use a C-Clamp, but I hope you decide to spend just a tad more on a stringer than my friend did. Makes a huge difference.

AND

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=106044

I haven't gotten one yet, but I really need to. This tool seems to make like 10x easier.

gl

loosegroove
01-15-2012, 01:39 PM
Yeah, the boomerang tools work fine, and I can actually string my Exo3 tour quite quickly now. So don't let that deter you. Though the boomerang sent from Prince didn't fit my frame so I had to sand it down a bit. Now it's a-okay. As someone else already mentioned, it can even be a bit quicker since it's easier to guide the string through the huge o-ports.

tinyman
01-15-2012, 09:36 PM
A brake to stop the racket from rotating left to right. You need the brake because when you string the crosses, you need to keep the string against the cross cause there is no port holes to hold it down or nothing to keep the string from putting to much pressure on the port holes(port holes apply to the old Rebel 95 which has port holes to guide the strings through) and breaking them. My friend broke them my Rebels cause he is an idiot lol. You can't keep pressure without a brake. I had to improvise and use a C-Clamp, but I hope you decide to spend just a tad more on a stringer than my friend did. Makes a huge difference.

gl

I've only dealt with my Tours,point of the 50/50 overall is that when you pull tension, the tension naturally pulls against the correct side of the port (as opposed to say floating in the middle). Are the old Rebel ports different? I only string for myself and a couple partners I play with - so I don't string much else than Prince (mine) and Babolat (everyone else).

Some brakes will hold well enough to accommodate the above method, but not all - some of the cheaper brakes will slip. That said, you can emulate a brake with your hip to avoid that problem - I've tried doing it, and it does work albeit it is a hassle compared to 50/50 (requiring no brake, hip, or boomerang).

gavna
01-15-2012, 10:56 PM
I play with the Rebels (95) and just started messing around with the 98s for Fun. I string on a Neo 1500 without any issues.....get the boomerangs from Prince or make sure u get a machine with a brake and you will be fine.

ricki
01-16-2012, 12:11 AM
you dont need boomerang not brake, I simply use screwdriver handle (insers screwdriver top-down into "hole between strings right next to port", the string, that you are pulling will be supported by screwdriver plastic handle).

Al1978
01-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the feedback.