PDA

View Full Version : Asics Gel Resolution 4s are up

kingofstring
01-16-2012, 05:23 AM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-MSASICS.html

Finally these are up on the american website I could not wait any longer they look sick though. I am ordering these and the bigshots today.

SleepyCoffee
01-16-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm really liking how they made them a little wider. Can't wait to try them out.

tennisinoc
01-17-2012, 07:17 PM
How much wider in the forefoot is what I'm wondering?
Also how the fit of the Speed vs Resolution differs.

Green colorway? Interesting choice but not sure if it will grow on me like the yellow/black. I hope they release a traditional white for those who aren't into the Bright Green.

ArliHawk
01-17-2012, 07:34 PM
I wish they made these in better colors.

Six.one.touring
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Can't wait for the review to come out on the new asic shoes

Power Player
01-18-2012, 10:31 AM
they fit a half size larger than the GR3s?

PeterFig
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
I wish they made these in better colors.

TWE has had alternate colors on their website for a few weeks so I'm sure we'll be seeing the white versions of both GR4's as well as Speed's soon.

http://tenniswarehouse-europe.com/catpage-MSASICS.html

kingofstring
01-18-2012, 11:42 AM
I still want green!

Mighty Matteo
01-18-2012, 01:43 PM
The colors are not the best.

drumnman2
01-20-2012, 06:35 PM

I got a pr of the blue and white ones today. I'd say the lenght is true to size. I've always got 11's from the 2's on up. The shoe seems a little longer but the toe box is narrow near the end. Compared to my Nike 2K11's they are a little narrower but I've only wore them around the house. The right one fit like a slipper but the left one had a pinch point behind my big toe which I hope well strecth out.

PeterFig
01-20-2012, 08:46 PM

I tried both the Resolution 4's as well as the Speeds (which I bought). Normally I wear a size 9.5 (even size 10) but I had to get size 9 in the new Speeds as well as the Resolutions. It's true that the forefoot is normal to slightly narrow so if you have a wider foot you may want to get them in your 'true' size, but if you have a normal to narrow foot I would suggest going 1/2 size smaller than usual.

tennisinoc
01-23-2012, 07:21 PM
So I stopped by my local tennis shop this weekend and they already had the GR4 in stock!

Here is my feedback on them:
Comfort from the GR1 is back! Very comfortable like the first generation and fits snug but has more give/movement due to the new mesh outer vs. GR1's synthetic outer.
But with that said, I felt it lost the stability that the GR3 had fixed with the last 2 models previous. The ankle is more stable than the GR1 & GR2 models, but the forefoot felt kind of sloppy because of the mesh outer. Also, for some reason the arch support felt less on the GR4 than on the GR3. I could really feel the arch support below my feet on the GR3 while the GR4 felt flatter like the previous models.
The strange thing is that the GR4 had that lower feel to the ground again as the previous models vs. the GR3, but maybe it was because it felt flatter in support?
This is what confused me because the base and outsole of the GR4 looks exactly the same and thick as the GR3. Isn't it suppose to be the same according to Asics' website?
Weird.
Anyway, in conclusion, I decided to wait to purchase the GR4 until I wear out my GR3 because I like the stability more on my GR3's.
Also, I still have a pair of GR1's if I want something comfortable for those Double's play days. But definitely, the GR3 have better stability for me for Singles that I don't know if the GR4 will.
Only time will tell.

Power Player
01-23-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks guys..i will stay with my true size then.

parasailing
01-23-2012, 07:43 PM
So did they change the side ankle area from plastic to soft mesh on the GR4s? I tried the GR3s and didn't like the plastic rubbing against the side my ankles and hoping they just make it soft with a mesh lining instead. That was my only gripe about the GR3s.

tennisinoc
01-23-2012, 10:15 PM
That plastic part is still there that wraps around the ankle.
It's front toebox that has more mesh.
I actually like the plastic piece around the ankle because it stabilizes better around it. That is the problem I had with the first 2 versions that they fixed on the 3rd. I don't have any problems with it digging into my ankle like you and others have stated. I wonder why it digs into yours but not mine.

gramdacious
01-24-2012, 08:08 AM
The colors are not the best.

that is an understatement

martini1
01-24-2012, 03:18 PM
I like the GR3 colorways better. But the worst thing is the price hike on the GR4! It's a full $10 more now? If I don't have 3 pairs of tennis shoes on rotation I would just get another pair of GR3 as reserve.

parasailing
01-24-2012, 03:30 PM
I actually like the plastic piece around the ankle because it stabilizes better around it. That is the problem I had with the first 2 versions that they fixed on the 3rd. I don't have any problems with it digging into my ankle like you and others have stated. I wonder why it digs into yours but not mine.

I guess that's why every change they make to a shoe ends up either making the current ones happy or sad. Every one's foot is different I guess and it must be difficult to make a standard shoe that will fit most. The back of the ankle piece isn't my concern, it's mainly on the side when you start moving laterally where the plastic rubs against the ankle bone causing some bad friction.

JGads
01-24-2012, 04:05 PM

Definitely had that ankle digging problem when I moved side to side, a bummer because otherwise the 3s were superb kicks.

kingofstring
01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Wore them out!

drumnman2
01-26-2012, 03:22 PM
Wore the new 4's for a few times now. They certainly are very comfortable and stable. Feels like you almost don't have shoes on.They look and feel more like a running shoe. But.... it seems the uppers are so flexible
with all the new mesh that when I made a real sudden stop my foot would shift, dig in and get jammed a little. They are stable as far as there's no fear of rolling an ankle or anything but the uppers just flex a lot. The heel is very secure. And no they aren't too big, they fit very snug.

michaelscoots
01-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Do they fit the same as previous versions? I have size 10 in the GR2's and they are a half size too big for me.

srvnvly
01-29-2012, 07:09 AM
Wore the new 4's for a few times now. They certainly are very comfortable and stable. Feels like you almost don't have shoes on.They look and feel more like a running shoe. But.... it seems the uppers are so flexible
with all the new mesh that when I made a real sudden stop my foot would shift, dig in and get jammed a little. They are stable as far as there's no fear of rolling an ankle or anything but the uppers just flex a lot. The heel is very secure. And no they aren't too big, they fit very snug.

I wear a 10.5 in the GR3, should I order the same in the 4, or go with a 10? Thx!

drumnman2
01-29-2012, 12:25 PM
I wear a 10.5 in the GR3, should I order the same in the 4, or go with a 10? Thx!

I wore an 11 in the originals and the 2's. I also got an 11 in the 4's and they fit fine. Sorry I didn't try the 3's. It's funny TW list the green with black 4's as being true to size. Then they list the black with green as running a 1/2 size larger than normal. After playing in these again(white with blue) today I have decided to keep them for the clay season. The uppers are so flexilbe they just let my foot shift in the shoe too much when making sudden stops or changes in dir. They fit very snug but the whole upper just shifts. At least that's for my feet. Everybody's are diff.

drumnman2
01-30-2012, 08:12 AM
Sorry that is the Solutions that are true to size and the Resolutions 1/2 size large according to TW.

kingofstring
02-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Ordering all new shoes tomorrow getting another pair definitively.

netguy
02-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I love my GR3...It's hard to believe that Asics can make better shoes than the GR3. They are almost perfect! A little more durability would be wellcome. We'll see.

JGads
02-08-2012, 11:32 PM
These might be the GSOAT.

Definitely go a half-size down, as TW recommends. It's really because the toe of the G4s has this point -- and this is my only knock, and I can't remember if the last version had this or not -- that goes outward in a more pointy way than most shoes do. It's weird. But.. I went a half size down, the feet have been locked in well and the cushioning on these things is just downright beautiful, and the court grab is stupendous. Best of all, the painful ankle digging that made me leave the G3s after only a few days, not at all happening here. Loving these kicks.

eidolonshinobi
02-09-2012, 09:24 PM
I wore an 11 in the originals and the 2's. I also got an 11 in the 4's and they fit fine. Sorry I didn't try the 3's. It's funny TW list the green with black 4's as being true to size. Then they list the black with green as running a 1/2 size larger than normal.

That's because the Green with Black is the Gel Resolution SPEED, while the other Black and Green are the GR4

drumnman2
02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
That's because the Green with Black is the Gel Resolution SPEED, while the other Black and Green are the GR4

Yeah I already corrected that 4 post up, but thanks. Still, seems like an 11 should be an 11 should be an 11 no matter the style or manufacture, but we know that rarely happens.
Good thing we have TW to set us straight on the sizes. All
the other sites don't bother.

dje31
02-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Still, seems like an 11 should be an 11 should be an 11 no matter the style or manufacture, but we know that rarely happens.
Good thing we have TW to set us straight on the sizes. All
the other sites don't bother.

You'd think that, and it seems like it used to be that way, at least within a brand...now, you can't expect that with different models of the same brand...this is progress?

But yes, it's nice that TW lets you in on that little factoid. Kudos to them for doing so.

eidolonshinobi
02-10-2012, 01:03 PM
You'd think that, and it seems like it used to be that way, at least within a brand...now, you can't expect that with different models of the same brand...this is progress?

But yes, it's nice that TW lets you in on that little factoid. Kudos to them for doing so.

Agreed, I do like the extra info.

maartn
02-11-2012, 05:40 AM
I tried the new GR4's in my local shop yesterday.
They felt quite tight on my front foot, especially the ouside of my foot. I tried a whole size up, which fixed that.. But that leaves my with about 2 fingers of space in the front of the shoes, which is probably way too much?

My question being, is it normal for these GR4's to feel quite tight and loosen up after break-in? Or are my feet just too wide for these shoes?

I played with barricade 6's last season and got a new pair of 7's yesterday instead of the GR4's.

banter
02-11-2012, 06:05 AM
I tried the new GR4's in my local shop yesterday.
They felt quite tight on my front foot, especially the ouside of my foot. I tried a whole size up, which fixed that.. But that leaves my with about 2 fingers of space in the front of the shoes, which is probably way too much?

My question being, is it normal for these GR4's to feel quite tight and loosen up after break-in? Or are my feet just too wide for these shoes?

I played with barricade 6's last season and got a new pair of 7's yesterday instead of the GR4's.

My white gr3's loosen up a lot once wearing them. My black ones started a little softer than the white ones. I find that the blacks are made with softer textiles.

crwtennis
03-25-2012, 04:25 PM
I was a big fan of the gr 1s and gr 2s, but with the gr 3s my heel wouldn't stay down (it would lift up in the shoe when I ran), so my achilles would really be sore after an hour or so on the court.

My question: Do the gr 4s grip the heel/ankle any better? Thanks,

parasailing
03-25-2012, 06:57 PM
These might be the GSOAT.

Definitely go a half-size down, as TW recommends. It's really because the toe of the G4s has this point -- and this is my only knock, and I can't remember if the last version had this or not -- that goes outward in a more pointy way than most shoes do. It's weird. But.. I went a half size down, the feet have been locked in well and the cushioning on these things is just downright beautiful, and the court grab is stupendous. Best of all, the painful ankle digging that made me leave the G3s after only a few days, not at all happening here. Loving these kicks.

I might have ask you before but can't find your response to that threat. Have you tried the Speed Solution and how would you compare with the GR4? I know they are not exactly the same shoe with Speed Solution being lighter and probably has less support and the GR4 offering decent support and stability.

JGads
03-25-2012, 11:07 PM
I might have ask you before but can't find your response to that threat. Have you tried the Speed Solution and how would you compare with the GR4? I know they are not exactly the same shoe with Speed Solution being lighter and probably has less support and the GR4 offering decent support and stability.

Haven't tried the Speeds on court, just in the store, so can't really say. My assumption would be what you stated above; I didn't go with the Speeds because they were just a tad more narrow than the Resolutions and I felt like that and the added stability of the Resolutions would be better, but to be honest, I used to play in the New Balance 851s so I do really love light speed shoes and I think the Speeds would be great if looking for a lighter option and your feet aren't too wide. Still thinking about the Speeds as possibly a gym shoe because I LOVED everything else about the fit; they were just really comfy and glove-like. Super, super comfy.

parasailing
03-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Okay, going to order up the GR4s and wish the Speed Solutions are available in my size but they are out till next month so I guess I will give these a shot and hope they are the GSOAT. Trying new pairs of shoes gets tiring and quite expensive in search of the elusive shoe.

JoelDali
03-26-2012, 06:00 PM
I've been wearing these for a week and they are superb.

Very very similar in feel to the CB 2.3.

It is true that they run large but I have found that even with Thorlo or Elites they are really adjustable.

Definitely picking up the blue exclusives.

This shoe is perfect for my feet.

Note that they're very sensitive to how tight you lace them up. The lacing mechanism is very tight and you must tie these very methodically. It took me a few times to get it right.

I only wish they looked like a V9.

:)

ASIC G4 = Very near GSOAT contendurr.