PDA

View Full Version : New IG Rackets - selection

Dgdavid
01-16-2012, 06:45 AM
Hi all,

We are getting the new Head rackets in the UK in a couple of weeks and I have been watching out for these for a while (and watching and rewatching the TW video reviews). We don't have NTRP ratings here but looking at the descriptions, I would say I am 4.0-4.5.

My shortlist is now Head IG Prestige Pro, Head IG Prestige MP and Head IG Radical Pro.

My current racket is a Head IG Speed 300 which I have used for 6 weeks and like it but want someone more solid, stable and heavier. I also have an IG Extreme MP which is apparently heavier than the official spec with a lower tension which I am starting to like too (just got it back from restringing). I have owned and ruled out the following (racketoholic I'm afraid)!:

Babolat AeroPro GT (used these for 6 months), Head IG Instinct MP, Head Youtek Radical MP, AeroPro Team (nice but far too light), IG Speed 315 18x20 and Speed 315 16x19 (preferred Speed 300 to both).

I don't want to mess around with lead tape too much as I'm not sure what I am doing. The playing characteristics I am looking for is a more solid, stable feel, a little forgiving but not a tweener (just not someone that kills me if I miss the sweetspot by a millimetre!), bit more heft. Happy to bring my own power but some 'free' power would not be a problem.

TW Chris comments lead me to think the Prestige MP is it but the video itself and written review suggest Pro. I WILL try them all out but wondered if any of you had a view. Radical Pro in the list for the idea of some free power but with control.

Comments and help appreciated. My play style is currently mostly baseline with the odd panic striken approach to the net. I am trying to the net more and get more into touch volleys and drop shots.

Kind regards

David (Surrey, England)

dParis
01-16-2012, 07:20 AM
Modifying your racquet with lead tape is not brain surgery. It's harder than removing your SIM card from your mobile phone but easier than boiling rice. A few grams (2-3) at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions of the racquet head and a few more just above the handle (in the throat) is a good place to start and it will make you racquet more solid, stable and heavier - and will save you a couple hundred bucks.

movdqa
01-16-2012, 07:32 AM
Are you a big topspin baseline player or do you go more for flat strokes. The Prestiges are not really the racquets to go for if you want free power (see Spencer) unless you're willing to go with more lead.

Lead gives you quite a bit of freedom in that you can take any frame that you basically like and add power and stability to it. I'm using the YTPMP which is a low-powered racquet with a small sweetspot. Adding lead turns it into a high-powered racquet with a big sweetspot.

I was playing around with different kinds of frames too but I've come to the conclusion that I like the approach of a platform stick that I can modify to what I want.

There may be times when you may want to add a little lead tape for playing conditions. I think that an extra gram or two helps when playing when it is cold out. It's easy to add a little and then take it off later - much easier than restringing.

RacketFever
01-16-2012, 08:13 AM
@Dgdavid Even i want to buy a stick from the prestige line. Right now, the Ig pretige pro seems to suit my game. Unfortunately I cant demo any of these as I live outside the U.S. If you get a chance to hit with them, please post your thoughts.

Dgdavid
01-16-2012, 08:50 AM
actually, I'm great at making rice!

I understand your point dparis and will study the TW Lead Tape post I see in here.

Movdqa, I like the idea of finding a base frame too but its just finding which one.

Interestingly, someone else has just told me that I am looking at the wrong rackets and maybe to look for the Prince EXO3 Tour 100 with 5g at the throat (I note there is an appreciation thread in here for the racket) and to also look at the Wilson Blx Blade 98. I feel like I am on an inevitable journey to Prestige Pro land however, logic be damned!

Any views on Blade and Exo3? I am a fairly flat hitter and pretty strong but do find myself late sometimes when my footwork goes a bit pete tong and I find myself too close to the ball. Must admit, Exo3 comment is intriguing.

Racketfever, I will feedback as soon as I have hit with them.

seb23
01-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Are you a big topspin baseline player or do you go more for flat strokes. The Prestiges are not really the racquets to go for if you want free power (see Spencer) unless you're willing to go with more lead.

Lead gives you quite a bit of freedom in that you can take any frame that you basically like and add power and stability to it. I'm using the YTPMP which is a low-powered racquet with a small sweetspot. Adding lead turns it into a high-powered racquet with a big sweetspot.

I was playing around with different kinds of frames too but I've come to the conclusion that I like the approach of a platform stick that I can modify to what I want.

There may be times when you may want to add a little lead tape for playing conditions. I think that an extra gram or two helps when playing when it is cold out. It's easy to add a little and then take it off later - much easier than restringing.

Just wondering how much led did you add and where abouts?

dParis
01-16-2012, 02:49 PM
actually, I'm great at making rice!

I understand your point dparis and will study the TW Lead Tape post I see in here.

Then modding your racquet should be as easy as one, two, three... Pilaf!

There are tons of threads/posts here regarding lead tape. Some might say too many. I believe the is a thread dedicated to your current racquet, in which case there is probably information regarding lead tape on the IGS 300. If you have specific questions, just ask and I'm sure somebody will answer.