PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Rackets in Car Trunk

TheGreatBernie
07-18-2005, 04:47 PM
Is there anything wrong with keeping my rackets in the trunk of my car? I'd like the accessibility of having them with me, but at the same time I'm worried that the heat might damage them somehow. Does anyone do this or know of whether or not to do this?

Exile
07-18-2005, 04:49 PM
heat and graphite and whatever your string is made of don't mix.

dozu
07-18-2005, 04:55 PM
the graphite rackets are molded at 100s of degrees if not 1000s. the frame should have no problem in the car trunk.

some strings however may go "dead" faster under high heat, I use ashaway nylons and find them go dead faster if I hit during the rain or subject the strings to high heat.

Michelangelo
07-18-2005, 05:07 PM
The rackets themselves may not have any significant problem if you just store them in your car trunk and under sunlight in short period. However, if you're talking about parking your car directly under sunlight 8 hours per day for a year (that is, treating the car trunk as a long-term storage compartment for your rackets and your stuffs), then the thermal shock may accelerate the aging of the racket material. Anyway, compared with the rackets, the string will age much faster. So, if you're just playing tennis only for social, then put a cheap one in your car trunk. However, if you're still at least somewhat into tennis, then be a bit more serious, take them out when you need to play.

bamboo
07-18-2005, 05:51 PM
The thermal racquet bags help a bit if you're determined to use this convenience.

Marius_Hancu
07-18-2005, 05:58 PM
just to give you an idea, on an expert stringer's advice, I am keeping my gut-strung rackets in the fridge. and my findings are that that really extends the life of the string jobs.

joe sch
07-18-2005, 06:04 PM
just to give you an idea, on an expert stringer's advice, I am keeping my gut-strung rackets in the fridge. and my findings are that that really extends the life of the string jobs.
Bad idea but if you have to, get a good thermal racket bag and cover in blankets.
The more insulation the better chance they dont get soft or the strings loose tension due to heat. Maybe you could even get a cooler for your trunk and keep a few brews with the rackets :)

TheGreatBernie
07-19-2005, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the reply, guys. So no rain, no extended periods in high heat, and the cold is good. i like your cooler with brews idea, joe. :)

znoopie
07-19-2005, 01:33 AM
My buddy left his racquet in the car trunk on a hot summer day for a few hours. He came back and found out that it was literally melted.

Marius_Hancu
07-19-2005, 02:11 AM
Bad idea but if you have to, get a good thermal racket bag and cover in blankets.

The stringer in question has strung for Sampras and Agassi, thus he knows his guts:-)

And I am placing them in a plastic bag. I should add some hygroscopic matter to absorb eventual water, I don't, but they haven't cracked in 2 years, thus ....

LoveThisGame
07-19-2005, 05:52 PM
Strings are plastic under tension. Twenty minutes sealed up in a car or trunk on a hot day and you've lost 20% of the energy of the strings, according to a USRSA article from about 20 years ago.

I've preached this to customers for years because I got tired of customers this time of year coming back and saying that the string job from 2 weeks ago seems dead now.

For those who want to duck out from work to play, but not advertise the fact, you have a problem. For the ladies who play and go to lunch or whatever with the bunch but don't want their racquet stolen from their car so seal it up tight, you have a problem. For those of you who don't realize how much time you spend in the food store after playing tennis, you have a problem.

Cold is not a problem.

anirut
07-19-2005, 07:44 PM
If I need to carry my rackets around for a few days, I leave them in their covers on the back seat. That's where we humans sit. Make sure your car windows have those heat-reflecting films, otherwise it's real bad.

Anyway, the strings lose tension somewhat but the rackets won't go dead. In Bangkok, the summer afternoon temperature in the sun is like 39+ Celsius (102+ F) without breeze.

ipod-upod
07-20-2005, 10:33 AM
If I need to carry my rackets around for a few days, I leave them in their covers on the back seat.

Dude, if I did that in Chicago, the racquets would be gone in 60 seconds! :mrgreen:

Lakoste
07-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Dude, if I did that in Chicago, the racquets would be gone in 60 seconds! :mrgreen:

Hahahahahahahahaha :D

Marius, how do you fit your racquets in your fridge, do you have two, cuz ive also put it in the fridge and i agree that it extends your strings life, but i had to stop cuz i have so much food

POGO
07-20-2005, 02:15 PM
I think leaving the racket in the car or the trunk during very hot weather effects more the string than the racket. If the racket is made of wood, then it would effect both string and racket :)

zenit
07-20-2005, 02:24 PM
from my experience thermal cycling is not a good thing when it comes to pretty much anything. I cant imagine it being good to anything with tension/pressure like the tennis racquet.

and yeah if it was a wood racquet it would get warped for sure.

Gaines Hillix
07-20-2005, 02:45 PM
Leaving them inside the car on a hot day is even worse than in the trunk(which is also a no no). A trunk has no glass to magnify the heat. Just remember that hot blast of air when you opened the door to your car the last time it sat ouside in the sun. :-(

ipod-upod
07-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I think the best thing to do if you do not want to be seen with a tennis bag is to use something else that would not be so obvious. For example, take a guitar case and chuck the guitar. I bet you could fit 2 or 3 racquets in there easy! Now you can bring it into the office and not worry about it. :mrgreen:

tennissavy
07-20-2005, 07:51 PM
You know, it makes sense that leaving a racquet in the car during a hot sunny summer day would be bad for the frame and strings but I have been doing it lately anyway. Bringing my tennis bag full of frames into the office has become something of an annoyance especially if I need to stop at the grocery store on the way home from work. I have to take my huge bag out and tote it around the supermarket like a weirdo. I like having a racquet with me when I go to work because every now and then I have an unplanned match set up during the day and it is not possible to go home and get the racquets. Therefore, I decided to have one racquet in the car at all times and tennis clothes. The racquet was sitting in my car during 95 degree sunny days for weeks and I got a chance to use it recently. The racquet played just fine. I thought for sure it was going to be affected by the heat but it was not. My wilson extreme syn. gut was fine.

annihilatorpro
07-20-2005, 10:07 PM
"Experts say it can happen in as little as 10 minutes. Even on a mild day at 73 degrees outside, an SUV can heat up to 100 degrees in 10 minutes, to 120 in just 30 minutes. As the outdoor temperature rises, so does the heat buildup in a vehicle. At 90 degrees outside, the interior of a vehicle can heat up to 160 degrees within several minutes."
http://www.ots.ca.gov/pressroom/2001/pr083101.asp

i wouldn't leave any tennis gear in a car left out in the sun. i have a dark colored car, and i have to pour water on the steering wheel to cool it down in the california heat. i once left my racket in the trunk of my car; the next day, the multifilament strings were no more, they snapped while in my car. But, irregardless, don't leave your stuff in there, it's not worth a dead string job when you could store your rackets elsewhere.

ucd_ace
07-21-2005, 01:32 AM
I just found this out for myself in the last week. I kept one frame inside and one in the car just because I like to have one to swing around when I'm bored. Well, I was really playing well and really liking my strings, but that frame cracked and I had to switch to the other. The strings in the racquet that had been in the car were completely dead and had probably lost at least 15lbs in tension and the ball was flying all over the place. I realized later that it must have been because of the heat my strings were warped from the expanding and contracting. I'd definately suggest keeping your racquets inside when you can.

mctennis
07-22-2005, 08:32 PM
If you don;t like your racquets keep them in the trunk. Especially the strings will hate you for that.