PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed -- Love Head Extreme MP IG. Anything else?

AA5B Tiger
01-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Been on a quest for a racquet for my game and would love suggestions:

My favorite, by a long shot thus far, is the Head Extreme MP IG. Love the touch at the net, the power at the baseline, the spin on the serve, etc. Amazed too how precisely I can slice the ball with the Extreme. Also, I hit both a one and two handed backhand... The Extreme's balance with the one-handed backhand is better than anything I've come across. The touch on lobs was nice too. Played some 4.0 mens doubles and was impressed how much better I could put the ball on the baseline with the Extreme vs. the other racquets I've tried -- not to mention pure defensive volleys when all 4 of us are at the net.

Any other Head racquets, or other brands for that matter, I should try before pulling the trigger on a pair of Extreme MPs?

Also -- I can get brand new Extreme MPs from last year for about $90 / ea. Is the new Extreme MP IG substantially better/different than the previous model? (Looking at nothing but the specs, they seem to be 2 different racquets.)

Thanks in advance.

Dgdavid
01-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Hi, I have an IG Extreme MP (strung at 53 with a poly) and it is very nice. I have owned most Head rackets except Prestige (see my post earlier today). I would say I prefer this to the Radical MP, Speed 18x20 and 16/19 and starting to prefer it to the Speed 300, my previous favourite. All very different rackets though. The closest racket to the Extreme for me was the IG Instinct MP but I volley much better with Extreme. Only thing is I find the Extreme too powerful and hoping a move to Prestige Pro or MP will end my search (apart from the fact everyone keeps telling me Prince EXO3 Tour 100 for my game!).

AA5B Tiger
01-16-2012, 08:53 AM
Hi, I have an IG Extreme MP (strung at 53 with a poly) and it is very nice. I have owned most Head rackets except Prestige (see my post earlier today). I would say I prefer this to the Radical MP, Speed 18x20 and 16/19 and starting to prefer it to the Speed 300, my previous favourite. All very different rackets though. The closest racket to the Extreme for me was the IG Instinct MP but I volley much better with Extreme. Only thing is I find the Extreme too powerful and hoping a move to Prestige Pro or MP will end my search (apart from the fact everyone keeps telling me Prince EXO3 Tour 100 for my game!).

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.

FWIW, I too was told about the Prince Tour 100, tried it over 3-4 matches, and just didn't get it. Wasn't for me at all. (Literally) different strokes for different folks...

Dgdavid
01-16-2012, 09:25 AM
what didn't you like about the Exo3? I'm not even sure why I am still looking because the Extreme is good but I have a Prestige itch i need to scratch!

AA5B Tiger
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
what didn't you like about the Exo3? I'm not even sure why I am still looking because the Extreme is good but I have a Prestige itch i need to scratch!

It was surely much more me than the racquet. With that disclaimer: The feel. I just couldn't get used to it. Felt springy yet dead at the same time -- don't know how else to describe it. 'Was strung mid-tension with synGut.

I think if I had a bigger, more loopy swing, it would be better. Regardless, I know a few who love it and swear by it.

The Head Extreme, by contrast, feels like the ball just sticks to the stringbed and allows me much more touch and control..... But that's just me.

forthegame
01-16-2012, 09:42 AM
Do you guys have any elbow trouble with the Extreme? Seems soooo stiff specwise.

Dgdavid
01-16-2012, 10:20 AM
Not me so far.

AA5B Tiger
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Do you guys have any elbow trouble with the Extreme? Seems soooo stiff specwise.

Surprisingly, none. I too saw that stiffness rating and nearly didn't order the demo because of that stat alone.

Got the racquet Wed and was just going to hit with it a little but stick with my current racquet for a tournament this past weekend. I hit so well at all aspects, I decided to try it for a 1st round match (as stupid as that sounds). I played so well that I kept using it for the entire tournament... 8 matches in 3 days and I have no arm pain at all.

Conversely, I demo'd the Babolats -- Pure Drive and Aero Drive. The Pure Drive was my favorite, but my arm was literally hurting in the warm-up. By the end of the match, I am heading to the pro shop to by a tennis elbow band due to the pain... 'Had to wear it for about a week after going back to my old racquet before the pain went away...