PDA

View Full Version : Ever get gifts that are more like insults?

goober
01-16-2012, 08:30 AM
This one set of relatives keeps giving us gifts for Christmas and other occasions which insulting and in some cases dangerous.

Among the things we received:

1. Food expired 13 months ago- but it had nice wrapping.
2. A set of needles from an adult sewing set to a 5 year old.
3. Free sample medicines for allergy and cold. Unopened but expired many months ago.
4. They had a whole animal roasted. They wrapped up and gave extras out . We got inedible portions.

Anyone else with somebody who give crazy gifts which aren't really gifts?

ollinger
01-16-2012, 08:33 AM
These sound more like attempts to kill you than insults.

sureshs
01-16-2012, 08:41 AM
This one set of relatives keeps giving us gifts for Christmas and other occasions which insulting and in some cases dangerous.

3. Free sample medicines for allergy and cold. Unopened but expired many months ago.
4. They had a whole animal roasted. They wrapped up and gave extras out . We got inedible portions.

1. They probably got the year wrong
2. They did not realize that children could be injured with these things
3. They did not check the expiry date and thought they were passing you free useful stuff
4. What may be inedible to you might be tasty for them

Seriously, if the motives are not good, why would they give such things as gifts? I think they are just unaware of how their gifts are being perceived.

goober
01-16-2012, 09:12 AM
1. They probably got the year wrong
2. They did not realize that children could be injured with these things
3. They did not check the expiry date and thought they were passing you free useful stuff
4. What may be inedible to you might be tasty for them

Seriously, if the motives are not good, why would they give such things as gifts? I think they are just unaware of how their gifts are being perceived.

That's a reasonable question. I think that there is this whole perception that they must give gifts at certain times to maintain appearances. But this particular relative doesn't like our side of the family for a particular slight she received many years ago that had nothing to do with me. So I actully think it is not good motivations, but carrying on a grudge for years in an underhanded but not superficially apparent way.

bezs
01-16-2012, 09:35 AM
For Christmas my department had a secret santa gift exchange i got a crappy cologne that if worn would probably make me a human skunk. Another colleague mentioned i smelt like detergent used when cleaning a toilet. :lol:

Fifth Set
01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
If they next give you a bunny, a pot and some water, I would recommend reporting the "gift givers" to the police.

mikeler
01-16-2012, 10:05 AM
I dropped out of Secret Santa after one buddy of mine got a G string leopard skin bikini and another follically challenged friend received hair gel.

sureshs
01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
These days, when I give gifts for weddings or other occasions, I just email them an online gift card from amazon or somewhere else. Let them get what they want online without having to be ****ed off at getting the same thing from everybody or having to go to a shop to exchange something.

chollyred
01-16-2012, 10:17 AM
Are these gifts being exchanged in person? or through the mail?

Send them a note or card ahead of time stating that you no longer wish to exchange gifts. If these are in person (as in a holiday gathering), just leave these "gifts" behind as you leave.

My grandmother disapproved of my marriage. During our annual Christmas Eve gift exchanges, we started getting crappy gifts. Poor quality. Bargain basement type stuff. Always the wrong size. Obviously being slighted when compared to what she gave everyone else. After a couple of years, we just quit going.

Gifts that make you uncomfortable or angry are not gifts at all. There's too little time in this life to pretend.

mxmx
01-17-2012, 12:09 AM
That's a reasonable question. I think that there is this whole perception that they must give gifts at certain times to maintain appearances. But this particular relative doesn't like our side of the family for a particular slight she received many years ago that had nothing to do with me. So I actully think it is not good motivations, but carrying on a grudge for years in an underhanded but not superficially apparent way.

If this is the case...

then maybe the solution would be to appear happy and grateful about it, so much so, that they realise their attemts at irritating you, is in vain....it may even make them realise how foolish they are...or maybe give them a real nice gift in return...who knows, maybe if they will have a change of heart?

j00dypoo
01-17-2012, 12:30 AM
Are you actually telling the truth? Those can't be sincere gifts. I've never heard of such stupidity. These relatives need to grow a pair and actually talk to you about what's irking them instead of sending you dangerous crap.

So childish...

dParis
01-17-2012, 06:15 AM
My wife gave me a Babolat bag for Christmas one year. :-?

Sentinel
01-17-2012, 06:31 AM

There's another possible explanation.
Last year someone gave them the gift. They didn't open it -- just kept it to re-gift. Then they gifted it to you.

i have relatives who never check expiry dates when they buys medicines. They think we are freaks for doing so!

LuckyR
01-17-2012, 09:34 AM

What relation are they to you? Next year I recommend you get them: mouthwash, deodorant and a laxative. Nicely wrapped, of course.

TourTenor
01-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Goober,
You got me laughing and shaking my head ... you = well respected poster and tennis player ... on the other side, your relatives =
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSAOOGV6_SfD6Ti-oU7WQSE5WjvhWTBjoFFxv2_jx4sIluZBN82-Q

Cindysphinx
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
We have some family members who feel it is desperately important to purchase gifts even though they clearly cannot afford it. As a result, they give odd things. Like giving a 20 year old adult woman an obscure children's movie in VCR format.

They are doing the best they can. I would prefer that we as a family simply decided to roll back the holiday gift giving, but it's not up to me to decide. I do wish they would include gift receipts, but they often do not (regifting?). Sometimes I try to exchange something the person probably paid $20 for, but the store will only give me $3. So I keep it and donate it, as I'd rather a poor person have it than the stupid store.

Anyway, OP. Just thank the person warmly for the gift, then discard or donate.

christo
01-17-2012, 01:40 PM
do you live in like South Carolina? I hear Deliverance music in my head.
Or is your last name Griswold?

chrischris
01-19-2012, 12:44 AM
How about a used waist coat with a packet of steak sauce powder thats expiredin the breast pocket for a 30th birthday?

Hot Sauce
01-19-2012, 01:51 AM
These sound more like attempts to kill you than insults.

Hahahaha :)

jasonmiller
01-19-2012, 07:05 AM
This thread is full of win. I would probably laugh my *** off if a family member gave me any of those things. But if you have vindictive family members that might genuinely be trying to **** you off, then I would probably fight fire with fire in your situation...