PDA

View Full Version : TW Reviews: Babolat Pure Drive Racquets

TW Staff
01-16-2012, 08:55 AM
Video only. Full written review to follow.

Standard:
http://bit.ly/zSAZmt

Plus:
http://bit.ly/yYypIh

Jason, TW

jibinhe
01-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Only thing I want to know is the Comfort level which suspiciously not been mentioned in the review. Is the new corteh working this time?
Sorry I posted in wrong thread, mean to reply in the Roddick thread.

Yourtenniscoach
01-16-2012, 11:03 AM
I can't believe that nobody commented on the massive reduction is swingweight.

scotus
01-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Brittany was hitting some massive ground strokes with the + version.

movdqa
01-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Comment for Tiffany - don't turn your head back and forth if your microphone is one one side of your shirt - your voice gets louder and then softer making it hard to make out what you're saying.

Sean was hitting some bombs with the PD too.

I'm not going to be hitting with a PD (or any 70+ RA) racquet anytime soon but it's nice to watch a playtest with people that can hit bombs.

Nostradamus
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice reviews. my compliments.
but how does SW drop to 308 on the new pure drive. while the static weight and head light 4 points is virtually same as the previous GT version. GT was 327 on GT version.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive/descpageRCBAB-BPD11.html

Bartelby
01-16-2012, 06:31 PM
More weight around the middle than at either end, so it might be depolarized?

Nice reviews. my compliments.
but how does SW drop to 308 on the new pure drive. while the static weight and head light 4 points is virtually same as the previous GT version. GT was 327 on GT version.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Pure_Drive/descpageRCBAB-BPD11.html

Nostradamus
01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
More weight around the middle than at either end, so it might be depolarized?

I don't know what that means. but you sound like a real smart guy so i take your word for it.

Bartelby
01-16-2012, 06:39 PM
It's not my big word, and I know very little, but you can get a high sw by putting weight at the tip and at the butt and as the weight is at the polar ends of the racquet it's called polorized. It's been endlessly discussed starting with travlejam.

It sounds like the new one is absent some of the weight at the tip.

I don't know what that means. but you sound like a real smart guy so i take your word for it.

Nostradamus
01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
It's not my big word, and I know very little, but you can get a high sw by putting weight at the tip and at the butt and as the weight is at the polar ends of the racquet it's called polorized. It's been endlessly discussed starting with travlejam.

Dr. Bartelby PH.D. Can you tell me how depolarizing the racket will affect play ? Does this change the playability of the racket any ? Will this new version feel completely different ?

Nostradamus
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM

Ok, i don't know those guys, traveljamming or whoever. but i don't understand how you can take away weight from top of the head. I can see you could do this from handle tip but top of the head ? Make the graphite there thinner ?

Bartelby
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
I know very little, but you wont feel the tip of the racquet coming through the ball in the new one if it plays to spec. It will feel a little light-headed.

TW playtester Troy is particularly enamoured of the polarised set up.

Dr. Bartelby PH.D. Can you tell me how depolarizing the racket will affect play ? Does this change the playability of the racket any ? Will this new version feel completely different ?

TW Staff
01-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Comment for Tiffany - don't turn your head back and forth if your microphone is one one side of your shirt - your voice gets louder and then softer making it hard to make out what you're saying.

Sean was hitting some bombs with the PD too.

I'm not going to be hitting with a PD (or any 70+ RA) racquet anytime soon but it's nice to watch a playtest with people that can hit bombs.

Yes, I noticed that I turned my head too much. It's a hard habit to break, and I use my hands a lot too when I talk. I'll try to be more cognizant of that next time.

Thanks,
Tiffani

richsox
01-17-2012, 06:47 AM
I am confused by the RA stiff factor rating given to the Roddick and regular 2012 Pure Drives.

Surely the Roddick is not less stiff??

Babolat RA's are:

Roddick=74
regular PD = 72

TW have these rated as (I beleive I recall correctly):

Roddick=70
Regular PD = 71

mmmmmmmmmmmm

A_Instead
01-17-2012, 07:07 AM
I like the new lower swing weight. Should make them more maneuverable.

Power Player
01-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Yes, I noticed that I turned my head too much. It's a hard habit to break, and I use my hands a lot too when I talk. I'll try to be more cognizant of that next time.

Thanks,
Tiffani

Or just tell the production team to compress your vocal more. It's no big deal though.

ArliHawk
01-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I demoed this at my local place back in December, and I liked it better than the previous version of the Pure Drive. But I still like the AeroPro Drive better. Feels a little more solid to me. Can't wait for the 2013 AeroPro Drive update.

A_Instead
01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Is it me or is everyone in the test video just ripping the crap out of the ball? Looks great to see the powerful baseline shots.

stevej
01-17-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm curious about the stiffness rating as well. TW lists the stiffness as 72 for the standard but 70 for the plus. Makes no sense. They should be the same. Same with the weight. 11.1 for the standard and 11.2 for the plus. Babolat's site lists the same specs as the previous version. Something's not right.

And as long as I'm on the subject, why is the beam width listed as 26mm? The previous versions were 25mm. Please explain TW.

Power Player
01-17-2012, 09:53 AM
I believe Babolat made the racquet stiffer and a little thicker to get more power out of it and still be able to lower the swingweight.

CDestroyer
01-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I am confused by the RA stiff factor rating given to the Roddick and regular 2012 Pure Drives.

Surely the Roddick is not less stiff??

Babolat RA's are:

Roddick=74
regular PD = 72

TW have these rated as (I beleive I recall correctly):

Roddick=70
Regular PD = 71

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Schedule your elbow surgery before buying the racquets for a discount.

TW Staff
01-17-2012, 10:33 AM
I'm curious about the stiffness rating as well. TW lists the stiffness as 72 for the standard but 70 for the plus. Makes no sense. They should be the same. Same with the weight. 11.1 for the standard and 11.2 for the plus. Babolat's site lists the same specs as the previous version. Something's not right.

And as long as I'm on the subject, why is the beam width listed as 26mm? The previous versions were 25mm. Please explain TW.

Tennis Warehouse typically will pull 4-6 racquets, string them, and spec them individually. We then will take the average of those "strung" specs and publish them on our website as we feel this portrays the most accurate depiction of the racquet. That being said, please note that with the exception of Pacific's (formerly Fischer) "Zero Tolerance" racquets, it is a rare occurrence that two of the very same racquet from a manufacturer are going to spec out identically.

So, why are the stiffness ratings 72 and 70? Because that's what our Babolat RDC machine spec'd them at. And why was the beam width listed at 26mm? Because that's what we measured with our digital calipers.

All that said, if we feel the specs are way off from what they should be, we'll re-spec more racquets with a different batch of the same racquets.

Spencer, TW.

stevej
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Cool. Thanks for the response Spencer.

RoddickistheMan
01-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Not going to lie pretty excited to try the pure drive out. I find it so funny that they dropped the sw to 307 compared to 328 in the previous model looks like babolat figured out that they were losing customers to the wilson clones of the pure drives which featured sw's in that range. The 72 stiffness is alarming though seems like a nightmare for tennis elbow sufferers. This racquet looks like a lot of fun on paper.

Bergboy123
01-18-2012, 03:09 PM
I'm really excited about this! I've been playing with APD for 3 years now and I'm ready to switch.

Sounds like this one has more power? Especially on serve, which is exactly what I want.

Question though. The normal one, does it have the same shape/size of my APD? And then the + version is "thinner" and longer?

albertosaurus
01-18-2012, 03:53 PM
Nice video thanks

DrewRafter8
01-18-2012, 07:32 PM
I'm really excited about this! I've been playing with APD for 3 years now and I'm ready to switch.

Sounds like this one has more power? Especially on serve, which is exactly what I want.

Question though. The normal one, does it have the same shape/size of my APD? And then the + version is "thinner" and longer?

I've made the switch from the APDC+ to the new PD+. Shape/Size is of the head is the same with the throat being different of course. I didn't notice the + being any thinner (I take for granted your talking about beam width) then the standard. But I didn't put a set of calipers on them either.

Bartelby
01-18-2012, 07:34 PM
The apd was initially slightly thinner at the tip - 22 not 23.

Fed6.1
01-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Is the new cortex meant to be more effective than the old cortex in the previous version?

sundaypunch
01-19-2012, 09:16 AM
Is the new cortex meant to be more effective than the old cortex in the previous version?

No, Babolat asked themselves, "how can we take the cortex and make it less effective in our new racquets?" (sorry to be a smart***** but I couldn't resist).

I was told by a dealer with a demo racquet that the new cortex improved the feel. I haven't hit one yet though.

fibonacci888
01-22-2012, 12:11 AM
I'm curious when they'll be in stock in TW europe. site still states the 18th.

Can't wait to demo and probably order after the play.......

galain
01-22-2012, 02:55 AM
Not that I'm usually swayed by such things, but the new paintjob is really good. I always thought the PD had a nice cosmetic, even if I was never that keen on the stick itself. This new one is really a fine looking stick.

MAXXply
01-22-2012, 04:16 AM
Not that I'm usually swayed by such things, but the new paintjob is really good. I always thought the PD had a nice cosmetic, even if I was never that keen on the stick itself. This new one is really a fine looking stick.

I'm such a shallow b*$%#d I'm probably gonna buy one for the PJ alone. Looks stunning up close. Closely followed by the Yonex Xi 98, which loses marks for the unecessary white bit on the shaft that rudely interrupts the uniformity of the sleek matte black cosmetics.

I just hope Wilson's designers stop inhaling and come up with similar designs for 2013.

Nostradamus
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
For you guys that had pleasure of play testing the new 2012 pure drive rackets :

Did you guys really feel the drop in swingweight in actual play ? i was just curious that if you drop the swingweight significantly like 2012 versions have done, it would be more manuverable. Did you guys feel that this version was more manuverable than the old models ? easier to volley with and so on.

Fed Kennedy
01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Is the new pd slightly thicker?

Nostradamus
01-22-2012, 01:10 PM
Is the new pd slightly thicker?

NO, dimensions are exactly same.

supernova
02-05-2012, 04:15 PM
have seen quite a bit of reviews on the PDR, but not the 2012 pure drive. Anyone tried it and has comments? I'm interested to buy one, but there is no demo rackets avail in my country! thanks!