PDA

View Full Version : Head Youtek Speed 16 x 19

c_hari_c
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I am planning to demo this racket after I read some good reviews about it. My current racket is PS Tour 90. I think I have had enough with 90 sq in rackets and it wears me down if I play back to back days going 3 setters and I feel slight stiffness on my elbow and I use Head Rip Control which is not a harsh string.

Having said that, the new racket I am going to try is 100 sq.in. The price also is now 89.95 on TW (used to be $199). Do you guys have any thoughts about this racket and is it considered arm friendly? The stiffness is 63 and strung weight is about 11.6 oz and it is 7 pts head light.

DownTheLine
01-16-2012, 09:42 PM
Heads are all pretty arm friendly so I don't think you could go wrong!

TimothyO
01-17-2012, 08:57 AM
I enjoyed the 16x19 and never had an arm problem with it. In fact, when I demoed the IG version, I found the updated frame more stiff. For that price you'll be very happy.

If you find the 16x19 specs attractive do consider the Speed IG 300. The key difference is that the 300 is lower powered and even more comfortable but generates as much or more spin having the same string pattern. I can hit slices that break 45 or more degrees after the bounce which really annoys opponents.

The 300 also offers far more room for customization since it's a little lighter stock (see my customized spec below).

So if price is a major concern the 16x19 is a great racquet.

But if you like the 16x19's specs and can spend the extra cash you'll find the 300 even more comfortable with more room for customization and just as spin friendly. I'd also say the 300 felt a little more precise compared to the 16x19, especially with a stiffer cross string.

Speed Kat
01-17-2012, 09:09 AM
You may know already, but if its the speed mp 16 x 19 then its slightly longer than standard length

lockbox
01-17-2012, 01:11 PM
I've added a little lead tape to 3 and 9 o'clock positions and, while it's still a few points headlight, it plays great. I, too, am coming from the blx six.one 90 and think this stick is going to help my game tremendously. I was getting tired and struggling to beat people that I was managing before going to Fed's stick. It felt a little head light to me (hence the customization) but I played a doubles match lights out without the tape too. Great stick overall and I just bought my second one.

Drew24
01-17-2012, 07:22 PM
I actually own one and I liked it for a little while. I found that adding a little lead tape to 3 and 9 like lockbox said really helps alot. Now it plays superb! My forehand and 2HBH got much better. I don't really notice the extra length either. To me, it seems like it was begging to get customized when I got it..but it's all based on your preference.

canadad
01-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Do you guys have any thoughts about this racket and is it considered arm friendly?
Not sure if this helps, but I had the 18x20 and it killed my arm. One time I actually could not lift my arm after. I got rid of it for that very reason. Mind you, I stupidly had full poly in it and got rid of it rather abruptly. Having said that, I played really well with that racquet. There was a HUGE difference for me in comfort when I switched to the BB London.

I also thought it played better with lead and 3 and 9 and under the upper grip.

cork_screw
01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I own the Speed MP 315 18x20. And at first I really liked it a lot. Then after the a few outings the strings lose something and the racquet behaves very erratically. And I was about to write it off and sell it. I tried 5 different string combinations from different manufacturers and tensions ranging from medium to low tensions. But I foolishly used a poly hybrid in all of them.

I got so tired of it when it loses its feel, that tried one more experimental setup and strung it with a special combination of a mono fillament with a multi and it has been long past how long it normally takes the duration to change on me and it has stayed true. This racquet is honestly now my holy grail and all I can say is its the string job and tension. In fact, with this combo the racquet feels insanely in-tune and solid. It is unbelievable the transformation you get because this racquet is so string and tension sensitive. I'm so glad I didn't sell this, it's my go to racquet now.

c_hari_c
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I've added a little lead tape to 3 and 9 o'clock positions and, while it's still a few points headlight, it plays great. I, too, am coming from the blx six.one 90 and think this stick is going to help my game tremendously. I was getting tired and struggling to beat people that I was managing before going to Fed's stick. It felt a little head light to me (hence the customization) but I played a doubles match lights out without the tape too. Great stick overall and I just bought my second one.

I hit with my hitting partner who is a 5.0 player today for an hour. I can tell while there was not much difference stroke wise compared to the 90, it felt much comfortable. The other big difference was on my serves out wide. The open pattern helped with spin. I did not notice the extra length at all. I am almost sold on this one and will get a couple next week.