PDA

View Full Version : Review of HEAD IG Prestige Mid and IG Prestige MP

Pages : [1] 2 3

vsbabolat
01-17-2012, 08:54 AM
I just received my HEAD IG Prestige Mid and MP. I've got good news for those of you like me are not a fan of the Clear CAP Grommets. The black grommets will fit.:cool: I think it looks great with the black grommets. Now if only the Black CAP Grommets were glossy like in the old days.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0883.jpg

IG Prestige MP Review
Cosmetics: The cosmetics have grown on me. I really like the asymmetrical burgundy graphite braid look with lighter red in the braid around the hoop. It reminds me of the Austrian Prestige Pro and the Prestige Pro 600. However the Silver decals are very fragile. I already getting them to come off. But the paint quality is very high and the racquet should not chip. I've never had a HEAD frame with hard paint chip. Why the decals can't be the same high quality as is what was on the Microgel does not make sense.

On Ground strokes I found the IG Prestige MP to have very nice pop with decent access to spin. It is a nice control oriented racquet with pop. I found it very stable on off center hits. It has some nice ball pocketing and a softer feel over the more recent irritations of the MP.

On Volleys I found it excellent. You have a sweet spot that goes pretty north in the string bed combined with the great stability of the racquet.

On the Serve I felt I got a little more spin on my Kick serve do to the larger head of my normal racquet and more string spacing. When I played a set I did not lose serve with it and did not double fault. My kick serves had some nice height over the net and nice high bounce.

Off the return of serve the stability and head size was a help in getting good depth. I was chipping returns and hitting returns. The first return I hit with it I ripped. The power is there if you have the skills.

Overal: I think this will be the most popular Prestige model in the line. The only thing that gives me pause is the feel. There is a very slight buzz to the string bed. It is no where near as bad as the YT which was like a tuning fork or a nice way of putting it brassy. It is a huge improvement over the YT. The IG Prestige MP a step in the write direction. If it was more muted I would switch tomorrow. I will have to think about it and hit with it some more.

IG Prestige Mid Review:
Cosmetics: The cosmetics have grown on me. I really like the asymmetrical burgundy graphite braid look with lighter red in the braid around the hoop. It reminds me of the Austrian Prestige Pro and the Prestige Pro 600. However the Silver decals are very fragile. Why the decals can't be the same high quality as is what was on the Microgel does not make sense.

Ground Strokes: I feel like the IG Prestige is a extension of my arm. It is so comfortable. I feel connected to the frame. It is a finally honed instrument, a scalpel. If you have the skills of being able to provide your own power and spin it will absolutely reward you. It is also not jarring on mishits.

Volleys: The IG Prestige Mid rewards you with great feel and great ball pocketing on the volley. You have fantastic stability which is great on the volley.

Serve: I loved serving with it. I felt like my serves were very heavy and I had pin point accuracy.

Return Of Serve: The racquet's stability, control, and plush feel made me feel confident on my returns.

The IG Prestige Mid is the best Prestige Mid since the i.Prestige Mid. I think I like the IG Prestige Mid more than the i.Prestige Mid. The IG Prestige has a very generous sweet spot, great stabilaty, and wonderful velvaty smooth plush feel

dadozen
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
Booooo!!! I thought the review was ready yet!!! :D

Just kidding VS, can't wait to read your review. I also don't dig the clear CAP grommets, but haven't seen one personally yet. The new pj, with the circuit, is worse than the YT IMO.

vsbabolat
01-17-2012, 09:12 AM
I added a photo to my Original post. Look how good it looks now.

maxpotapov
01-17-2012, 10:13 AM
I added a photo to my Original post. Look how good it looks now.

Looks kinda cheaper now :/

vsbabolat
01-17-2012, 10:18 AM
Looks kinda cheaper now :/

I thought it looked cheaper with the clear grommets. It looks much richer in color with the black grommets. It always had brown or black (and Green on the Prestige 600) grommets until now.

JGads
01-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Black for the win. Not even a contest. Clear cap looks terrible.

dr325i
01-17-2012, 11:43 AM
I just received my HEAD IG Prestige Mid and MP. I've got good news for those of you like me are not a fan of the Clear CAP Grommets. The black grommets will fit.:cool:

Aren't they the identical mold to the Youtek/Microgel frames?

sargeinaz
01-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Brown is the goat, but that black looks great VS. The clear is very meh.

vsbabolat
01-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Aren't they the identical mold to the Youtek/Microgel frames?

The grips are longer on the MP and the Mid now (that's all I have don't know about the Pro). Other than that they seem the same.

scotus
01-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Do the clear grommets and the black grommets weigh the same?

MAXXply
01-17-2012, 05:54 PM
Remember how in mediaeval times wrongdoers and villains were forced to wear stocks on their heads? I think the people at HEAD who signed off on the clear caps design should be forced to do the same.

fundrazer
01-17-2012, 06:06 PM
The grips are longer on the MP and the Mid now (that's all I have don't know about the Pro). Other than that they seem the same.

Ah, interesting to hear that Head changed the grip length. I'm going to be dabbling with the blx prostaff 95, but the MG prestige MP is still my stick of choice. I think I actually preferred the shorter grip length on em. Not that it makes a whole lot of difference. Wonder why they would change it though?

JGads
01-18-2012, 12:41 AM

The MP grip is really longer now? That was among my main gripes with the MP always. The Mid had a longer grip before, but not the MP.

rudester
01-18-2012, 08:25 AM
And will The old Prestige Pro microgel/youtek grommets also fit the IG Prestige Pro?

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 10:16 AM
I had my first hit with the Mid today.

movdqa
01-18-2012, 10:21 AM
How was the feel compared to the YT?

maxpotapov
01-18-2012, 10:29 AM
I had my first hit with the Mid today.

And what was the feel and sound right off the bat?

Anton
01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Clear grommets look much better.

Where is the review?

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:10 AM
Clear grommets look much better.

Where is the review?

That's your opinion. I don't like the clear. I only just got the racquets yesterday. I had my first hit with the Mid this morning. When I get done testing the racquets the review will be written. Have a little patience.

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:12 AM
And what was the feel and sound right off the bat?

The feel of the IG Prestige Mid is the closest to the Prestige Classic 600 that I have yet to hit with.

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
How was the feel compared to the YT?

I am initially tackling the Mid. Then I will test the MP.

Anton
01-18-2012, 11:13 AM
That's your opinion. I don't like the clear. I only just got the racquets yesterday. I had my first hit with the Mid this morning. When I get done testing the racquets the review will be written. Have a little patience.

NO! I was promised a review and I want it now! :cry:

maxpotapov
01-18-2012, 11:21 AM
The feel of the IG Prestige Mid is the closest to the Prestige Classic 600 that I have yet to hit with.

Closest but still not exactly there? I mean, would you spend $200 on brand new IG Mid rather than Chinese Prestige Classic 600 in 9/10 condition?

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Closest but still not exactly there? I mean, would you spend $200 on brand new IG Mid rather than Chinese Prestige Classic 600 in 9/10 condition?

ALL Prestige Classic 600 were manufactured in AUSTRIA.

maxpotapov
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
ALL Prestige Classic 600 were made in AUSTRIA.

How about re-issue?

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:29 AM
How about re-issue?

Even the "Re-issue" from 2006.

maxpotapov
01-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Even the "Re-issue" from 2006.

OK, that's good to know, thanks.
Anyway, would you opt for brand new IG Mid versus PC600 in 9/10 condition given the same price? I'm in a situation like that right now...

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:35 AM
OK, that's good to know, thanks.
Anyway, would you opt for brand new IG Mid versus PC600 in 9/10 condition given the same price? I'm in a situation like that right now...

What are you looking to do? Are you looking to have a couple of the same racquet? Or are you just playing with one racquet and no back-up?

maxpotapov
01-18-2012, 11:41 AM
What are you looking to do? Are you looking to have a couple of the same racquet? Or are you just playing with one racquet and no back-up?

Of course identical backup would be perfect, but I can live with my PT600 or even LM Mid or just be cautious about re-stringing when I have a match to play.

vsbabolat
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Of course identical backup would be perfect, but I can live with my PT600 or even LM Mid or just be cautious about re-stringing when I have a match to play.

The LM is as far away from the Prestige Classic 600 as you can get. If you use the Prestige Tour 600 as a back then the buy the Prestige Classic 600 if it is great almost new condition. But I would just buy 2 IG Prestige Mid it is a very good racquet.

maxpotapov
01-18-2012, 12:09 PM
The LM is as far away from the Prestige Classic 600 as you can get. If you use the Prestige Tour 600 as a back then the buy the Prestige Classic 600 if it is great almost new condition. But I would just buy 2 IG Prestige Mid it is a very good racquet.

OK, I hope there's more to IG Mid than feel. Does it compensate whatever it lacks in feel (compared to PC600) with other characteristics, such as power, sweet spot etc.?

APG
01-18-2012, 12:13 PM
VS, I look forward to your review of the mid & midplus. I am particularly interested in the arm friendliness of the IG Prestiges.
I am convinced the YT Mp caused an elbow injury(GE)
Which led to a year long recovery. I am back playing with my microgel mp and toying with a couple of Volkl. I have played with other prestiges and pro tours without injury.The YT played far stiffer than it's specs. Thanks for providing us with your critique.

stronzzi70
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
VS Babolat
What do you think about HEAD TGK 260.1 xl code inside the thoath ?
Unstrung weight 340 g.

Passion4Tennis
01-18-2012, 07:20 PM
I'm looking forward to your review, VS. Your taste in racquets seems to be very similar to mine.

nikosrf
01-19-2012, 03:42 PM
VS, I look forward to your review of the mid & midplus. I am particularly interested in the arm friendliness of the IG Prestiges.
Which led to a year long recovery. I am back playing with my microgel mp and toying with a couple of Volkl. I have played with other prestiges and pro tours without injury.The YT played far stiffer than it's specs. Thanks for providing us with your critique.

I had the same elbow problem with Youtek. I decided to change and go for another. So i am curious if the IG made the Prestige MP more comfortable.

APG
01-19-2012, 06:04 PM
I had the same elbow problem with Youtek. I decided to change and go for another. So i am curious if the IG made the Prestige MP more comfortable.

What are you playing with now? Others have had the same experience with the Youtek.

vsbabolat
01-19-2012, 06:18 PM
So far I'm really liking the IG Prestige Mid. I hate to say it but HEAD and their OEM have done a great job on the IG Prestige Mid. It is the best Prestige Mid since the i.Prestige Mid. It is very muted and feels nothing like the YT Prestige Mid. The IG Prestige Mid feels like a classic racquet. Closest to the Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic 600.

I have not hit with the IG Prestige MP yet. I will try to and hit in with it tomorrow.

Bartelby
01-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Is there any reason why the feel would not transfer throughout the new Prestige line?

I suppose we await your test of the mp for this answer.

Facepalm
01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
What about the grip shape? Are they any more square/octagonal like the Speeds or did they stick to the more rectangular/oval profile of the YOUTEK Prestiges?

vsbabolat
01-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Is there any reason why the feel would not transfer throughout the new Prestige line?

I suppose we await your test of the mp for this answer.

I don't know. I have no idea how the MP will play and have a open mind about it.

movdqa
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Are the results of hitting with it more or less the same as the YT? That is if you swing the racquet the same way, do you get the same result (I'm excluding the feel aspect).

I use the YT and I get good results with it. I find the feel okay too though I'm always curious about something that could be better. I wouldn't mind better feel with the same performance results.

vsbabolat
01-19-2012, 06:33 PM
What about the grip shape? Are they any more square/octagonal like the Speeds or did they stick to the more rectangular/oval profile of the YOUTEK Prestiges?

Its the same exact HEAD grip shape that they have had for over 40 years. TK82 pallets if you need to know.

nikosrf
01-19-2012, 11:49 PM
What are you playing with now? Others have had the same experience with the Youtek.

Trying to find something to replace YTPMP..i got 2 RDiS200 but they are less manueverable and have more power.
Tried Pro Kennex Ionic Ki 5. Easy but something is missing, also i didn't find the power.
So still looking for. The Dunlop 200 and the lite version and the Yonex RDTi 80 and the lite version got my interest..
I would like to test the Yonex 95 V and the new Wilson Prostuff 95 though..
I am confused so far because i don't have the demo option for the most of those sticks and i have to choose one fast...

vsbabolat
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM

I had my first hit with the IG Prestige MP today. I prefer the feel of IG Prestige MP over the YT MP. It feels softer with much better ball pocketing. I'm thinking of string it tighter like at 60lbs. I'm right now at 57lbs and it feels loose. The feel is not as nice as the IG Mid but way better than the YT MP.

TheRed
01-20-2012, 12:41 PM
I had my first hit with the IG Prestige MP today. I prefer the feel of IG Prestige MP over the YT MP. It feels softer with much better ball pocketing. I'm thinking of string it tighter like at 60lbs. I'm right now at 57lbs and it feels loose. The feel is not as nice as the IG Mid but way better than the YT MP.

Wow. I trust VS's opinion so now I really have to try the IG mid and midplus. always loved the prestige mid but never got around to buying the classic before it got hard to find.

APG
01-20-2012, 01:06 PM

Thanks. That is good news. I look forward to your detailed review, assuming that it is forthcoming. Btw what strings are you using.

vsbabolat
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Thanks. That is good news. I look forward to your detailed review, assuming that it is forthcoming. Btw what strings are you using.

I have a hybrid in there of Babolat Tonic Ball Feel in the mains and Babolat Synthetic gut in the crosses. Sure a full review after I get to know it better will come.

skeeter
01-20-2012, 02:00 PM

How is the power of the MP overall (i.e., do you feel as if you had enough to put away shots, on serves, etc.), and compared to the Mid? Also, when you say the "feel is not as nice as the Mid", in what ways specifically are you referring? Comfort? Certain types of shots? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these demos!

vsbabolat
01-20-2012, 03:07 PM
How is the power of the MP overall (i.e., do you feel as if you had enough to put away shots, on serves, etc.), and compared to the Mid? Also, when you say the "feel is not as nice as the Mid", in what ways specifically are you referring? Comfort? Certain types of shots? Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these demos!

The IG PMP is not as muted as the Mid. In Terms of feel. I also think I get more spin with the bigger head but that I also get more length on my shots than the Mid. The Mid is almost a perfect copy of the PC600.

I will say I served pretty well with the IG Prestige MP. I warmed up and jumped right in and played a set with it.

seb23
01-20-2012, 03:23 PM
The IG PMP is not as muted as the Mid. In Terms of feel. I also think I get more spin with the bigger head but that I also get more length on my shots than the Mid. The Mid is almost a perfect copy of the PC600.

I will say I served pretty well with the IG Prestige MP. I warmed up and jumped right in and played a set with it.

how is the ig prestige mp compared to the pro tour 630?

vsbabolat
01-20-2012, 05:21 PM
how is the ig prestige mp compared to the pro tour 630?

The Pro Tour 630 has a better feel and is more muted less vibration.

stronzzi70
01-20-2012, 06:17 PM
VS Babolat,
I have couple YTK Prestige Mid, which one you can get more spin ( IG PRESTIGE MID)

vsbabolat
01-20-2012, 06:26 PM
VS Babolat,
I have couple YTK Prestige Mid, which one you can get more spin ( IG PRESTIGE MID)

Spin I thought was the same. However the feel is so much more satisfying with the IG Prestige Mid. It's like home.

stronzzi70
01-20-2012, 06:50 PM
better sweet spot?

movdqa
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
It sounds like they are better racquets for feel but the same for performance. I don't think that the feel of the YT is bad because that's what I am used but I think that I will casually keep my eye out for IGPMPs similar to what I have now.

JGads
01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Got to hit with these two tonight, albeit briefly. These Prestiges are legit. Silkier in feel than the YT versions and from what I remember, bigger sweet spot. As for the MP version, it felt to me like it thumped the ball a bit more heavily than the YT version. And the Mid... oh boy, the Mid is sweet. I used to play with the YT Mid. This IG is pure butter, felt easier to get around, sweet spot was delicious. Head did well with this update.

vsbabolat
01-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Got to hit with these two tonight, albeit briefly. These Prestiges are legit. Silkier in feel than the YT versions and from what I remember, bigger sweet spot. As for the MP version, it felt to me like it thumped the ball a bit more heavily than the YT version. And the Mid... oh boy, the Mid is sweet. I used to play with the YT Mid. This IG is pure butter, felt easier to get around, sweet spot was delicious. Head did well with this update.

The IG Prestige Mid is something special. It feels like the OG HEAD racquet back in the day. The MP is not quite there but way better than the YT.

JGads
01-20-2012, 09:13 PM
The IG Prestige Mid is something special. It feels like the OG HEAD racquet back in the day. The MP is not quite there but way better than the YT.

Agree. Didn't play a ton with the MP, but it did immediately feel better than what I recall of the YT. (and noticeably heavier through the ball, which surprised me).. The Mid, though, was on another level. Stellar frame.

Matchball
01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
If the mid is even slightly better in feel than the YT version, OMG, that would be awesome...

skeeter
01-20-2012, 09:54 PM

Gads, any sense between the two which have more plow/power for put-aways and on serves, at least with your brief hits? I've always played more with MP-sized frames (Donnay Plat 99, EXO Tour 100, BB London, most recently), but am intrigued by what I'm hearing about the Mid. I use a 1HBH, play an all court game, and generally hit flattish-driving balls, and thinking that the Mid might be worth a try; just jittery about the smaller head size.

JGads
01-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Definitely the mid, but the plow/putaway capability of the MP I think has improved from the last version. It just comes through the ball more than the last one, which was always a little light on the ball. Again, though, this from about 10-15 minutes of groundie points with the MP.

By comparison I played four service games with the Mid and was pummeling the ball. Effortless depth on rally balls/defensive shots and the frame shot some serious laser winners when I went after it. I won all four games and was up 40-0 when I felt a tweak in my oblique (just from overplaying in the cold recently; nothing to do with frame) and so I ended my serving for the day.

Will try to hit some more with the frame before my buddy has to return it, but this first impression could not have been better. This one had the weight of shot that the Prestige Mid has always had, but seemed easier to get around. And the feel of the frame was, as VsBabolat said, like home. Hugely plush.

mrmike
01-21-2012, 06:47 AM

The Prestige MP is about the closest you can get right now to the old PT280/630. In sure wish Head would make a Prestige (or a new model) with that softer feel again.

stormholloway
01-21-2012, 09:25 AM

Usually when I think of better feel I think the racquet is less muted rather than more. What in your mind gives it better feel? Flexibility?

movdqa
01-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Too much feedback and it can be harsh. I would say that the YTPMP is harsh without some lead at 3/9.

vsbabolat
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
Usually when I think of better feel I think the racquet is less muted rather than more. What in your mind gives it better feel? Flexibility?

Good feel is no vibration AKA muted but you can also feel the ball on your strings.

nikosrf
01-21-2012, 12:39 PM
is the IG MP better for tha hand than the Youtek? i had elbow problems from the Youtek MP

vsbabolat
01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
is the IG MP better for tha hand than the Youtek? i had elbow problems from the Youtek MP

IG Prestige MP feels softer with less vibration. It still has a little vibration to it but nothing like the very brassy feel of the YT Prestige MP.

The IG Prestige Mid has no vibration is muted still with feedback.

seb23
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Good feel is no vibration AKA muted but you can also feel the ball on your strings.

I find that the babolat aero pro and pure drive seem muted but not in a good way, in a way that i can't feel where the ball is going

IG Prestige MP feels softer with less vibration. It still has a little vibration to it but nothing like the very brassy feel of the YT Prestige MP.

The IG Prestige Mid has no vibration is muted still with feedback.

would you say its the best prestige mid plus since the iprestige? also are you planning on trying the prestige s, it seems like an interesting stick as the low weight would allow for a lot of customisation

jdunnie014159
01-21-2012, 01:28 PM
What's your opinion on the differences in feel/playability between the Prestige Classic and Prestige Tour Mids

vsbabolat
01-21-2012, 03:20 PM
What's your opinion on the differences in feel/playability between the Prestige Classic and Prestige Tour Mids

I have not hit with the Prestige Tour in 18 years but what sticks out in my mind is that the Prestige Tour felt softer and I kept breaking the Suspension Grip. I preferred the Prestige Pro/Prestige Classic.

vsbabolat
01-21-2012, 03:27 PM
I find that the babolat aero pro and pure drive seem muted but not in a good way, in a way that i can't feel where the ball is going

would you say its the best prestige mid plus since the iprestige? also are you planning on trying the prestige s, it seems like an interesting stick as the low weight would allow for a lot of customisation

I don't plan on trying the Prestige S. It does seem like a racquet for someone looking for a platform or someone wanting to step into the Prestige series but it is a completely new mold with shared holes.:shock:

I just wish IG Prestige MP was as muted as the i.Prestige MP or as "muted" vibration free as the IG Prestige Mid.

movdqa
01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Maybe a little lead would take care of the remaining vibration - or did you test it at 370+ grams?

vsbabolat
01-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Maybe a little lead would take care of the remaining vibration - or did you test it at 370+ grams?

I'm at 370grams strung.

JGads
01-22-2012, 12:51 AM
Vs: you aren't planning on trying out the Pro, are you? The sublime hit with the Mid made me vaguely wonder about it, given its static weight/swingweight are very similar and it could be more forgiving, though in the past the Pro version has always intrigued and then ultimately been my least favorite, feeling stiffer and not as controlled as the Mid or MP. Wondering if this new version would be any different.

sargeinaz
01-22-2012, 01:21 AM
I'm looking forward to trying the Pro the most. The stiffness and open pattern should make for some nice pop/control. I was never a midplus fan. It just feels inferior to the mid in every way to me. Let us know if you ever hit with the Pro VS.

NOVAK11
01-22-2012, 05:30 AM
hey vs whats ur email if u dont mind i want to ask u a few questions and get some info in having some head racquets sourced / customised or please email me novak _ tesic @ hotmail . com (no spaces)

thank you!!

vsbabolat
01-22-2012, 12:46 PM
Vs: you aren't planning on trying out the Pro, are you? The sublime hit with the Mid made me vaguely wonder about it, given its static weight/swingweight are very similar and it could be more forgiving, though in the past the Pro version has always intrigued and then ultimately been my least favorite, feeling stiffer and not as controlled as the Mid or MP. Wondering if this new version would be any different.

I don't plan on hitting Pro right now. I own the Mid and the MP I was testing. I'm tempted in getting a couple of Mids. That is how much I like it.

JGads
01-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I don't plan on hitting Pro right now. I own the Mid and the MP I was testing. I'm tempted in getting a couple of Mids. That is how much I like it.

I'm with you. I'm trying to get another hit in with the Mid tomorrow or maybe tonight. If it's in the same neighborhood as the absolutely wondrous first hit I experienced, I'll have no choice but to buy in.

Just curious, what frame do you normally play, Vs?

vsbabolat
01-22-2012, 04:57 PM
I'm with you. I'm trying to get another hit in with the Mid tomorrow or maybe tonight. If it's in the same neighborhood as the absolutely wondrous first hit I experienced, I'll have no choice but to buy in.

Just curious, what frame do you normally play, Vs?

I normally play with the Prestige Classic 600. The IG Prestige Mid is the closest to that old HEAD feel from the 80's and 90's I have ever hit with. Why the MP can't feel the same way is a mystery to me.

drakulie
01-22-2012, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the pics, VS. YOU THE MAN Love the fact the black grommets fit,,,, thats great news. As for your impressions of the mid and mid plus, I couldn't agree more. The mid immediately felt awesome, where as I did not care you the youtek. The MP also feels much better than the youtek version. Have yet to hit with the pro.

JGads
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I normally play with the Prestige Classic 600. The IG Prestige Mid is the closest to that old HEAD feel from the 80's and 90's I have ever hit with. Why the MP can't feel the same way is a mystery to me.

Nice. Looking forward to your full review. Will add more here myself when I get another chance to hit with the little red wonder.

vsbabolat
01-22-2012, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the pics, VS. YOU THE MAN Love the fact the black grommets fit,,,, thats great news. As for your impressions of the mid and mid plus, I couldn't agree more. The mid immediately felt awesome, where as I did not care you the youtek. The MP also feels much better than the youtek version. Have yet to hit with the pro.

Thanks drakulie. There is a very slight buzz to the IG Prestige MP. Where the IG Prestige Mid is solid and velvety smooth.

stronzzi70
01-23-2012, 11:39 AM
full review???...........when??

Matchball
01-23-2012, 12:02 PM
I know that the way the mid is made makes it the stick it is. I have never found more control in any other racquet, whatever the brand and specs.

But tell me, wouldn't you want a 16x19 version of the mid? Hasn't it passed your mind at all..? :twisted:

vsbabolat
01-23-2012, 01:14 PM
full review???...........when??

I'll write it up tonight.

vsbabolat
01-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Cosmetics: The cosmetics have grown on me. I really like the asymmetrical burgundy graphite braid look with lighter red in the braid around the hoop. It reminds me of the Austrian Prestige Pro and the Prestige Pro 600. However the Silver decals are very fragile. I already getting them to come off. But the paint quality is very high and the racquet should not chip. I've never had a HEAD frame with hard paint chip. Why the decals can't be the same high quality as is what was on the Microgel does not make sense.

On Ground strokes I found the IG Prestige MP to have very nice pop with decent access to spin. It is a nice control oriented racquet with pop. I found it very stable on off center hits. It has some nice ball pocketing and a softer feel over the more recent irritations of the MP.

On Volleys I found it excellent. You have a sweet spot that goes pretty north in the string bed combined with the great stability of the racquet.

On the Serve I felt I got a little more spin on my Kick serve do to the larger head of my normal racquet and more string spacing. When I played a set I did not lose serve with it and did not double fault. My kick serves had some nice height over the net and nice high bounce.

Off the return of serve the stability and head size was a help in getting good depth. I was chipping returns and hitting returns. The first return I hit with it I ripped. The power is there if you have the skills.

Overal: I think this will be the most popular Prestige model in the line. The only thing that gives me pause is the feel. There is a very slight buzz to the string bed. It is no where near as bad as the YT which was like a tuning fork or a nice way of putting it brassy. It is a huge improvement over the YT. The IG Prestige MP a step in the write direction. If it was more muted I would switch tomorrow. I will have to think about it and hit with it some more.

Steve F.
01-23-2012, 09:03 PM

On the Serve I felt I got a little more spin on my Kick serve do to the larger head of my normal racquet more string spacing. When I played a set I did not lose serve with it and did not double fault. My kick serves had some nice height over the net and nice high bounce.

Overal: I think this will be the most popular Prestige model in the line. The only thing that gives me pause is the feel. There is a very slight buzz to the string bed. It is no where near as bad the YT which was like a tuning fork or a nice way of putting it brassy. It is a huge improvement over the YT. The IG Prestige MP a step in the write direction. If it was more muted I would switch tomorrow. I will have to think about it and hit with it some more.

Hey vs -

Thanks for the thoughtful write up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be thanking you for sharing your pov, which is invaluable to these boards.

Just to clarify:
1) you're playing Ball feel m's/Bab syn gut x's right - what gauge & tension please?
2)No dampener, correct?
3) 370 grams, yes? Where/how are you weighting up?
4) Did you set up the mid the same, with same specs/strings?

Thanks again! Good stuff!

Bartelby
01-23-2012, 09:49 PM
It may be my problem, but I'm still not getting the buzz, tuning fork, brassy idea with regard to the review.

I know what you mean intellectually, but I've never really understood feel other than in terms of stiff/crisp versus muted/soft dichotomies.

Does not muted enough mean slightly too crisp?

vsbabolat
01-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Hey vs -

Thanks for the thoughtful write up. I'm sure I'm not the only one who will be thanking you for sharing your pov, which is invaluable to these boards.

Just to clarify:
1) you're playing Ball feel m's/Bab syn gut x's right - what gauge & tension please?
2)No dampener, correct?
3) 370 grams, yes? Where/how are you weighting up?
4) Did you set up the mid the same, with same specs/strings?

Thanks again! Good stuff!

1. yes 16g at 58lbs.
2. correct no dampener.
3. 370 strung.
4. Mid is same weight. Look for that review very soon.

maxpotapov
01-23-2012, 10:16 PM
It may be my problem, but I'm still not getting the buzz, tuning fork, brassy idea with regard to the review.

I know what you mean intellectually, but I've never really understood feel other than in terms of stiff/crisp versus muted/soft dichotomies.

Does not muted enough mean slightly too crisp?

muted and soft = like hitting with a pillow
muted and firm = like hitting with a brick wall
not muted and soft = like hitting with a noodle
not muted and firm = like hitting with a wooden bat
not muted and stiff = like hitting with a metallic bat

muted and soft = low frequency resonance, dies down quickly
brassy and stiff = higher frequency resonance, lasts longer (like tuning fork)

4sound
01-23-2012, 10:25 PM
VS, based on the published specs, I'm assuming your adding weight somewhere on the frame. Can you elaborate? Swing weight, balance, etc...

Have you thought about or experimented with different string types/tensions to get more muted feel?

Captain Tezuka
01-24-2012, 01:57 AM
I know that the way the mid is made makes it the stick it is. I have never found more control in any other racquet, whatever the brand and specs.

But tell me, wouldn't you want a 16x19 version of the mid? Hasn't it passed your mind at all..? :twisted:

Hm it intrigues me the reason why most people in this forum prefer a 16X19 string pattern although I think its because having something in between is quite nice. What are others thoughts on this? Just interested because I have seen this since I came back online.

-Tezuka

P.S. Sorry if this is considered off topic.

movdqa
01-24-2012, 03:59 AM
I think that 16x19 is so popular for power and spin generation while getting the nice precision of a mid.

On the brassy bit - I completely understand what vsb is talking about. If you take a pro stock YTPMP without lead in the hoop, you'll find that the sweetspot is tiny and anything off-center to be very harsh - you'll get vibration and twisting and my opinion is that it isn't very good for your arm. If you add a lot of weight, (my specs are close to vsb's), then I feel that it fixes the sweetspot issue and gets rid of the vibration and twisting problems but vsb feels that they are still there. I don't really notice it that much - perhaps I'm used to it.

I wouldn't mind giving the IGPMP a try to see what the difference is. I'm in line right now to buy a couple in pro stock form though the person in front of me could nix that.

Bartelby
01-24-2012, 04:57 AM
I can't see that you get resonance unless you miss the sweetspot and the whole point of an advanced racquet is that it gives you a clear distinction between hitting and not hitting the sweetspot.

I found the previous mp to have a slight softness in the throat and to be, on the whole, toward the non-muted and stiff end, to use the above classification.

movdqa
01-24-2012, 05:02 AM
> I can't see that you get resonance unless you miss the
> sweetspot and the whole point of an advanced racquet is
> that it gives you a clear distinction between hitting and not
> hitting the sweetspot.

Well, everyone misses the sweetspot from time to time (I note that Federer had a number of shanks against Tomic a few days ago).

I personally like the YT though I can certainly understand someone not liking it for a "feel" aspect. That's the headache we get when our favorite racquet is discontinued - we have to look for something else and the something else almost always means compromise. Maybe it would be worth asking Chris about the feel aspect as he's used most or all of the Prestige line too and he's switching to the MP.

APG
01-24-2012, 05:13 AM
VS, appreciate the review. Have played with Prestiges for many years but have elbow issues. Would you still consider the IG Mp arm friendly. Would you give the Mid then the edge despite the ever so small difference in flex specs.(Mp 62; mid 63) Would you also consider the Ig's softer than the Microgels? I would assume so from your review.

Bartelby
01-24-2012, 05:23 AM
The mid review speaks of silky smooth, plush. lively and forgiving.

They seem however to lose their adjectives somewhat when reviewing the other racquets in the line.

I wouldn't mind a plusher version of the current mp, but the metallic feel was attractive.

Torres
01-24-2012, 05:27 AM

That's my only grumble with the YTK Prestige MP - its stiffness. The low SW and lack of mass in the upper hoope can be corrected....you can even change the pallet shape....but there's not much you can do with the stiffness.

It not so bad when you're actually playing with it - in fact I like the 'connected' feel it offers on striking the ball, but play 9 or 10 hours a week with it strung with a poly, and with half of that time as matchplay, and it starts catching up on you. The BLX 6.1 is noticeably softer in comparison with the same string setup and doesn't seem to result in the same wear on the arm.

Would you say the IG is softer / noticeably softer than the YTK and if so, would you say that it results in any 'floppiness'?

mrmike
01-24-2012, 05:56 AM
That's my only grumble with the YTK Prestige MP - its stiffness. The low SW and lack of mass in the upper hoope can be corrected....you can even change the pallet shape....but there's not much you can do with the stiffness.

It not so bad when you're actually playing with it - in fact I like the 'connected' feel it offers on striking the ball, but play 9 or 10 hours a week with it strung with a poly, and with half of that time as matchplay, and it starts catching up on you. The BLX 6.1 is noticeably softer in comparison with the same string setup and doesn't seem to result in the same wear on the arm.

Would you say the IG is softer / noticeably softer than the YTK and if so, would you say that it results in any 'floppiness'?

Same complaint I have about my YTKMP. If it was just a little more flexible, this would be the perfect frame for me. Does anyone know if the Microgel Prestige MP was a little more arm friendly? I have the chance to pick one up as a backup.

Bartelby
01-24-2012, 06:03 AM
Played the microgel radical pro which was supposed to be on the stiff side, and the prestige mid, and both racquets felt far less stiff and metallic than yt prestiges but they do feel a little muted.

APG
01-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Played the microgel radical pro which was supposed to be on the stiff side, and the prestige mid, and both racquets felt far less stiff and metallic than yt prestiges but they do feel a little muted.

Abolutely a difference. The YT's contributed to GE. The Microgel is definitely more flexible. I went back to playing with MG after a long layoff.

Mateo
01-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Can wait for mid review.
Is it normal that I play better with my prestige tour 600 than with prestige youtek mp?
The mp was low powered and sometimes heavy on swing weight for me.
Only thing on my mind is the fact that Chris from TW chose Mp over Mid because he hits points better with mp, my story is totally opposite.

vsbabolat
01-24-2012, 08:45 AM
VS, appreciate the review. Have played with Prestiges for many years but have elbow issues. Would you still consider the IG Mp arm friendly. Would you give the Mid then the edge despite the ever so small difference in flex specs.(Mp 62; mid 63) Would you also consider the Ig's softer than the Microgels? I would assume so from your review.

I can see why the YT hurt your arm. I think the IG Prestige MP is more arm friendly than the YT. For sure the IG Prestige Mid feels softer than the MG Prestige Mid. I only hit with the MG Prestige MP once 4 years ago.

mrmike
01-24-2012, 09:17 AM
Glad to hear its not only me that thinks the Youtek MP is too stiff. Funny thing is the published (measured by TW?) RA number never seems to stray from around 62, yet real world results vary for arm friendliness. I currently have MultiFeel 17 in mine @ 60lbs. Queued up some Mantis Comfort Synthetic for the next go-round. See how that feels.

tlimster
01-24-2012, 10:29 AM
Are you finding similar results to Chris, that the MP is winning sets but the mid feels better?

How does the MP feel compared to a PT280/630 or 57e?

I am debating whether to just buy one now or to wait until the demos come in.

vsbabolat
01-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Are you finding similar results to Chris, that the MP is winning sets but the mid feels better?

How does the MP feel compared to a PT280/630 or 57e?

I am debating whether to just buy one now or to wait until the demos come in.

I have won the sets I should have won with both sticks. The mid does feel better to me. I will be doing a comparative review of the IG Prestige MP and the Pro Tour 630/280. I will also do a comparative review of the IG Prestige Mid and the Prestige Classic 600 after I write the IG Prestige Mid review.

tlimster
01-24-2012, 03:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the review!

drakulie
01-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I have won the sets I should have won with both sticks. The mid does feel better to me. I will be doing a comparative review of the IG Prestige MP and the Pro Tour 630/280. I will also do a comparative review of the IG Prestige Mid and the Prestige Classic 600 after I write the IG Prestige Mid review.

Really looking forward to this!!!!!! Why not throw in the new Radical Pro??? :)

sargeinaz
01-24-2012, 06:51 PM
Really looking forward to this!!!!!! Why not throw in the new Radical Pro??? :)

Have you hit with the new IG Radical Pro Drak? Im liking it a lot. Just waiting to try out the IG Prestige Pro first before buying the Rad Pro.

JGads
01-25-2012, 01:20 AM

I'll add my two cents after another hit with these two frames tonight. The other night, absolutely fell in love with the Mid. Thought the MP was solid in my brief hit but didn't wow me like the Mid.

Tonight, total reversal. Played a lot more so with the MP and played one of the best sets I've played in a long while with it. It's a serving monster. I was crushing the ball with it and could put the ball anywhere in the box, with whatever kind of spin I was going for. It was such a sweet serving zone that, tonight, I didn't come close to having with the Mid.

With the Mid, tonight, everything suddenly felt a little more difficult. And the MP wowed me.

This Prestige line is going to be very popular.

Regarding vibrations Vs was talking about, I had some with the MP but they were completely cured by a dampener. The Mid was so smooth, though, it didn't even need a dampener.

Chyeaah
01-25-2012, 01:23 AM
I just received my HEAD IG Prestige Mid and MP. I've got good news for those of you like me are not a fan of the Clear CAP Grommets. The black grommets will fit.:cool: I think it looks great with the black grommets. Now if only the Black CAP Grommets were glossy like in the old days.

Look for a full review in the days to come after a full play test.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w50/vsbabolat/IMG_0883.jpg

Damn the black grommets look so ugly compared to the clear ones i saw in the shop.

movdqa
01-25-2012, 03:20 AM
> Tonight, total reversal. Played a lot more so with the MP and played
> one of the best sets I've played in a long while with it. It's a serving
> monster. I was crushing the ball with it and could put the ball anywhere
> in the box, with whatever kind of spin I was going for. It was such a
> sweet serving zone that, tonight

That's the way I feel about the YTPMP. Great access to spin even though it's an 18x20, good control and lots of power when you want it.

matchmaker
01-25-2012, 03:28 AM
vsbabolat,

Regarding the IG Prestige Mid, how does it slice the ball? And how are volleys? I see the TW test players gave it 86 for slice and 88 (!) for volleys.
The one gripe I had with the Prestige Classic was slice and block volleys. It is hard to explain, but the PC600 seemed to lack punch in those situations. I had a pair of them, absolutely loved them for anything else (serve, groundstrokes, dropshots, lobs), but couldn't dial in the slice when stretched out. Slices were okay when you could get really behind the ball and hit them with a full stroke, but obviously when you play a slice, a blocked serve return or a volley, you don't always have time to take a full swing.
What's your experience with the Prestige IG Mid in this aspect? How would you consider serve in comparison with the venerable PC600? For me the PC600 was the second best serve racquet I ever hit with.

maxpotapov
01-25-2012, 03:42 AM
vsbabolat,

Regarding the IG Prestige Mid, how does it slice the ball? And how are volleys? I see the TW test players gave it 86 for slice and 88 (!) for volleys.
The one gripe I had with the Prestige Classic was slice and block volleys. It is hard to explain, but the PC600 seemed to lack punch in those situations. I had a pair of them, absolutely loved them for anything else (serve, groundstrokes, dropshots, lobs), but couldn't dial in the slice when stretched out. Slices were okay when you could get really behind the ball and hit them with a full stroke, but obviously when you play a slice, a blocked serve return or a volley, you don't always have time to take a full swing.
My experience with PT600 is similar, but I recall YT Prestige Mid was really good on slice, having more mass in the bridge area. I think it's a matter of mass distribution and I wonder if IG Mid will perform like YT Mid in this regard?..

Dgdavid
01-25-2012, 06:50 AM
Hi all,

No one is really thinking about the IG Prestige Pro in this thread (although the thread title is a clue!). I am totally new to Prestiges. Is the Pro different enough to not be in people's consideration if they are looking at the Mid and MP? Would love to get an opinion on the MP vs Pro. Any views?

stormholloway
01-25-2012, 08:43 AM
I'm actually most curious about the Pro, so I'd like to hear something as well.

movdqa
01-25-2012, 08:48 AM
vsbabolat bought the racquets he's trying out. I don't know whether he keeps them or resells them but there's clearly a cost of testing frames if you buy them first as opposed to demoing them.

Standstill
01-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Compare differences between the YT and the IG versions of the MP?

ryushen21
01-25-2012, 09:06 AM
This so not the thread I needed to read.

movdqa
01-25-2012, 10:39 AM
Just bought two IG MPs. I'll see how they compare to the YTs. I hope that they are as good as everyone is saying. I will use the YTs as backups.

Anton
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
This so not the thread I needed to read.

ROFL :) :evil:

stronzzi70
01-25-2012, 11:29 AM
Vs Babolat,
About the low SW in the IG PRESTIGE MP:
Do you think is almost the same power than the YTK Prestige MP or maybe more power ?

skeeter
01-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I'll add my two cents after another hit with these two frames tonight. The other night, absolutely fell in love with the Mid. Thought the MP was solid in my brief hit but didn't wow me like the Mid.

Tonight, total reversal. Played a lot more so with the MP and played one of the best sets I've played in a long while with it. It's a serving monster. I was crushing the ball with it and could put the ball anywhere in the box, with whatever kind of spin I was going for. It was such a sweet serving zone that, tonight, I didn't come close to having with the Mid.

With the Mid, tonight, everything suddenly felt a little more difficult. And the MP wowed me.

This Prestige line is going to be very popular.

Regarding vibrations Vs was talking about, I had some with the MP but they were completely cured by a dampener. The Mid was so smooth, though, it didn't even need a dampener.

Nice post; thanks for the input. So, do you think the MP has a bit more power than the Mid due perhaps to the larger string bed? And you were obviously wowed with the serves of the MP; other strokes just as good? And how was the spin generation with the MP? Thanks.

JGads
01-25-2012, 12:56 PM
^^
The MP is interesting. I see the low swingweight, but to me the frame swings heavier than 310. It feels like a 320s swingweight. The YT version, I felt that it did indeed swing too fast and I was both ahead of the ball a lot as well as when I hit the ball, the ball just did not have the weight behind it that I was looking for. To me they definitely added some more weight to the head, or change the balance, or something, because this MP flattens the ball a little more. Because of this, depth is easier than I ever experienced with the previous MP. ... That being said, there's a softness/flex to the frame that makes it very controlled. You can really go after the ball without fearing going long, which is a nice feeling. And when you do go after it, that's when you get some nice zip on the ball that I thought was missing in the last version.

scotus
01-25-2012, 01:23 PM
^^
The MP is interesting. I see the low swingweight, but to me the frame swings heavier than 310. It feels like a 320s swingweight.

Can't go by the published specs.

I just bought 2 i.prestiges and there is a 15 g difference between the two. Obviously the two supposedly identical sticks swing very differently.

sunof tennis
01-25-2012, 03:36 PM
Same complaint I have about my YTKMP. If it was just a little more flexible, this would be the perfect frame for me. Does anyone know if the Microgel Prestige MP was a little more arm friendly? I have the chance to pick one up as a backup.

Yes, MG version was softer, more arm friendly

vsbabolat
01-25-2012, 04:09 PM
vsbabolat,

What's your experience with the Prestige IG Mid in this aspect? How would you consider serve in comparison with the venerable PC600? For me the PC600 was the second best serve racquet I ever hit with.

The slice and volleys are good with the IG Prestige Mid. The IG Prestige Mid is a great serving racquet! The IG Prestige in a nut shell is a crisper feel with more Pop Prestige Classic 600.

stronzzi70
01-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Trying to find something to replace YTPMP..i got 2 RDiS200 but they are less manueverable and have more power.
Tried Pro Kennex Ionic Ki 5. Easy but something is missing, also i didn't find the power.
So still looking for. The Dunlop 200 and the lite version and the Yonex RDTi 80 and the lite version got my interest..
I would like to test the Yonex 95 V and the new Wilson Prostuff 95 though..
I am confused so far because i don't have the demo option for the most of those sticks and i have to choose one fast...

Forget about ps 95-----piece of garbage..

vsbabolat
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
Cosmetics: The cosmetics have grown on me. I really like the asymmetrical burgundy graphite braid look with lighter red in the braid around the hoop. It reminds me of the Austrian Prestige Pro and the Prestige Pro 600. However the Silver decals are very fragile. Why the decals can't be the same high quality as is what was on the Microgel does not make sense.

Ground Strokes: I feel like the IG Prestige is a extension of my arm. It is so comfortable. I feel connected to the frame. It is a finally honed instrument, a scalpel. If you have the skills of being able to provide your own power and spin it will absolutely reward you. It is also not jarring on mishits.

Volleys: The IG Prestige Mid rewards you with great feel and great ball pocketing on the volley. You have fantastic stability which is great on the volley.

Serve: I loved serving with it. I felt like my serves were very heavy and I had pin point accuracy.

Return Of Serve: The racquet's stability, control, and plush feel made me feel confident on my returns.

The IG Prestige Mid is the best Prestige Mid since the i.Prestige Mid. I think I like the IG Prestige Mid more than the i.Prestige Mid. The IG Prestige has a very generous sweet spot, great stabilaty, and wonderful velvaty smooth plush feel.

drakulie
01-25-2012, 08:11 PM
VS, could you expand on I mid, vs IG mid in terms of feel, serves, and groundies, and especially swing weight/ease of swinging??

Thanks in advance.

RacketFever
01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
VS, how does the mid feel on off center hits? I heard some people say that they felt the mid had a sweetspot the size of the midplus.

Kace
01-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Just setup my new IG Prestige MP and compared it to my YT Prestige MP. Will hit with it tonight. Some first impressions.

Feels different from the YT in my hands. The L2 gripsize seems slightly larger than the usual - prefer the previous sizing. Grip shape is more rectangular with a larger handle butt. The swingweight is slightly heavier. The IG is approx 1.5pt more head heavy than the YT though both weighed 335 strung with identical setup of grips + strings. Bouncing the ball on the stringbed produced some slight buzz - not an issue with me. The IG is only a touch softer but very similar in feel to the YT. I noticed that the IG frame shape is slightly longer than YT - longer main strings = more power? I value performance over cosmetics so it's alright as long it retains the the trademark red of the Prestige heritage.

I can understand why HEAD made some improvements to the specs except for gripsize. Might just file down to my liking if it bothers me.

Bartelby
01-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Frame shape is unlikely to be different.

0d1n
01-26-2012, 02:23 AM
Just setup my new IG Prestige MP and compared it to my YT Prestige MP. Will hit with it tonight. Some first impressions.

Feels different from the YT in my hands. The L2 gripsize seems slightly larger than the usual - prefer the previous sizing. Grip shape is more rectangular with a larger handle butt. The swingweight is slightly heavier. The IG is approx 1.5pt more head heavy than the YT though both weighed 335 strung with identical setup of grips + strings. Bouncing the ball on the stringbed produced some slight buzz - not an issue with me. The IG is only a touch softer but very similar in feel to the YT. I noticed that the IG frame shape is slightly longer than YT - longer main strings = more power? I value performance over cosmetics so it's alright as long it retains the the trademark red of the Prestige heritage.

I can understand why HEAD made some improvements to the specs except for gripsize. Might just file down to my liking if it bothers me.

Frame shape is the same (different stringing can change the head shape slightly) and the perceived handle differences are most likely due to the fact that your older grip is compressed from play.

Kace
01-26-2012, 04:00 AM
Yes, there is a noticeable difference. Always thought my YT's shape looks a little shorter than most Prestiges but yet to compare it with another YT MP. The IG shapre resembles more the traditional shape of the PC600.

Yes, my YT's grip has compressed much indeed but I don't remember it being as large as the IG's. It could be a discrepancy with the batch but Head is known to have stringent QC standards.

Forgot to add that there is more heft in the the IG frame. Probably the reviews on more plough through and head heavy. Will find out soon.

vsbabolat
01-26-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes, there is a noticeable difference. Always thought my YT's shape looks a little shorter than most Prestiges but yet to compare it with another YT MP. The IG shapre resembles more the traditional shape of the PC600.

Yes, my YT's grip has compressed much indeed but I don't remember it being as large as the IG's. It could be a discrepancy with the batch but Head is known to have stringent QC standards.

Forgot to add that there is more heft in the the IG frame. Probably the reviews on more plough through and head heavy. Will find out soon.

Pallet has not changed nor has the head shape.

chizzle
01-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Can wait for mid review.
Is it normal that I play better with my prestige tour 600 than with prestige youtek mp?
The mp was low powered and sometimes heavy on swing weight for me.
Only thing on my mind is the fact that Chris from TW chose Mp over Mid because he hits points better with mp, my story is totally opposite.

So I have (demo'ing both), and I am switching to the new Mid. But I have the same exact thought. And what was the reason Chris switched to the MP?

I am really enjoying the demo. Wow.

movdqa
01-26-2012, 01:41 PM
I'd ask that question on the TW official review thread. I'm curious too though. I went from the KPS88 (90 sq in) to the Prestige MP and I definitely play better overall with the Prestige. The benefits of 95 outweigh the drawbacks. It's clear to me what's better and what's worse but I'd love to hear what Chris has to say in detail of why he likes the MP over the Mid. Of course he said that he wins more with the MP but maybe he could break that down a little.

Anton
01-26-2012, 02:10 PM
So I have (demo'ing both), and I am switching to the new Mid. But I have the same exact thought. And what was the reason Chris switched to the MP?

How is the new IG MID compared to PK Redondo?

chizzle
01-26-2012, 02:35 PM
How is the new IG MID compared to PK Redondo?

I'm actually coming from the PSL/PSLGT.

It plays firmer and plusher. Much more solid overall. I feel like my BH on the Mid requires less perfection actually. Footwork is still a key, but that never changes. I'd tend to agree that it seems to have a very generous sweetspot. A buddy who is also demo'ing with had the exact same comment as well (large sweetspot), so that appears to be a trend (trending to mostly agreed to / fact).

I definitely serve "bigger" with the MP. But today was very nice serving with the mid, so hard to complain. The big thing is the Mid is more accurate, so the "bigger" serves with the MP, are still offset by the higher %/accuracy of the Mid.

Volleys are very (more) solid and stick too (vs the PSLs).

Anton
01-26-2012, 02:49 PM
I'm actually coming from the PSL/PSLGT.

It plays firmer and plusher. Much more solid overall. I feel like my BH on the Mid requires less perfection actually. Footwork is still a key, but that never changes. I'd tend to agree that it seems to have a very generous sweetspot. A buddy who is also demo'ing with had the exact same comment as well (large sweetspot), so that appears to be a trend (trending to mostly agreed to / fact).

I definitely serve "bigger" with the MP. But today was very nice serving with the mid, so hard to complain. The big thing is the Mid is more accurate, so the "bigger" serves with the MP, are still offset by the higher %/accuracy of the Mid.

Volleys are very (more) solid and stick too (vs the PSLs).

oops thought it was a PK Rendo in your avatar.

I tried the PSL and thought it was a POS :) very unstable, tiny sweetspot, no plow, bad feel.

JGads
01-26-2012, 03:09 PM

I'd ask that question on the TW official review thread. I'm curious too though. I went from the KPS88 (90 sq in) to the Prestige MP and I definitely play better overall with the Prestige. The benefits of 95 outweigh the drawbacks. It's clear to me what's better and what's worse but I'd love to hear what Chris has to say in detail of why he likes the MP over the Mid. Of course he said that he wins more with the MP but maybe he could break that down a little.

My experience mirrored Chris Edwards'. Initially lusted over the way the Mid killed the ball. But the more I played with the two sticks, the more my game improved with the MP and declined with the Mid. Especially when conditions were tougher - more wind - and the balls came at me with more pace and spin, the Mid was too difficult for me to keep my level up with and the MP was just easier to use. And on serve, the MP just completely comes out of its shell and shine, shine, shines. Bombs and kickers and slices, they're all there, and a little easier to access than the Mid.

APG
01-26-2012, 04:33 PM
My experience mirrored Chris Edwards'. Initially lusted over the way the Mid killed the ball. But the more I played with the two sticks, the more my game improved with the MP and declined with the Mid. Especially when conditions were tougher - more wind - and the balls came at me with more pace and spin, the Mid was too difficult for me to keep my level up with and the MP was just easier to use. And on serve, the MP just completely comes out of its shell and shine, shine, shines. Bombs and kickers and slices, they're all there, and a little easier to access than the Mid.

I demoed the mid. Enjoyed the feel, accuracy and surprised by the generous sweetspot. I will soon demo the midplus. My concern is if there is any difference in arm comfort with my problematic elbow. Any input would be welcomed. The mid did feel soft but crisp as VS alluded to.

chizzle
01-26-2012, 07:16 PM
oops thought it was a PK Rendo in your avatar.

I tried the PSL and thought it was a POS :) very unstable, tiny sweetspot, no plow, bad feel.

Yea, you're not alone on the PSL. I fell in love with the maneuverability of it. To me you can throw that thing around like none other.

Anyway, I played more with the mid tonight. Not much changed. For me its standing out with strokes. Volleys are not far behind, but I'm dialing it in from the back.

Just to think .... I thought I'd be switching to the MP. (which I am still going to try).

chizzle
01-26-2012, 07:19 PM

I have to be fair to myself and try the MP.

What string set up do you have in the MP? I threw in some Timo 1.17, but looking for better pairing(s) for the MP.

(I have Prince Power EXP 17/16 in the Mid currently).

vsbabolat
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
VS, could you expand on I mid, vs IG mid in terms of feel, serves, and groundies, and especially swing weight/ease of swinging??

Thanks in advance.

I think I like the feel of the IG better than the i. I feel like the sweet spot feels bigger and pockets that ball better. I feel like I am crushing my groundies with the IG Mid right now. I can't comment on ease of swing weight/ease of swing because I don't play with my racquets stock. They are both to my specs. So they are swing the same for me.

RacketFever
01-26-2012, 11:42 PM
VS, how does the mid respond if you hit off center shots?

Dgdavid
01-27-2012, 06:24 AM
Just had an hour hit with this on rebound wall and some serves. I know it means nothing until a match but it has already jumped into number 1 slot by some distance over the IG Rad Pro and Exo3 Tour I also own and testing.

Dgdavid
01-27-2012, 06:25 AM
I mean the Midplus not Mid.

skeeter
01-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Just had an hour hit with this on rebound wall and some serves. I know it means nothing until a match but it has already jumped into number 1 slot by some distance over the IG Rad Pro and Exo3 Tour I also own and testing.

I've also been playing with Exo 3 Tour for a while but am about to demo the IG PMP and Mid. What specifically (if you don't mind) did you like about the MP that has it outdistancing the Exo 3? And have you, or are you, going to try the Mid as well? Thanks.

Dgdavid
01-28-2012, 12:09 AM
I've also been playing with Exo 3 Tour for a while but am about to demo the IG PMP and Mid. What specifically (if you don't mind) did you like about the MP that has it outdistancing the Exo 3? And have you, or are you, going to try the Mid as well? Thanks.

There is a more solid feel to the PMP which made it feel more accurate and stable to me. Seemed to have very controllable power for me when I look to generate my own pace. Definitely hits hard. The weight made it feel nice and secure on impact. I felt I could place my 1HBH with pace more than the Exo3. I would say it is close in several areas but they all favour the PMP slightly so far which is making it quite decisive. Please remember the PMP has only been used for an hour on rebound wall so it might mean nothing in a match. The Exo3 played better in the match than on the wall.

The only area of definite significant difference for me so far is the serve. Done over 200 from a basket with PMP and similar amount and a few sets with the Exo3. PMP is definitely much better in terms of pace but still has v good placement and accuracy.

dr325i
01-28-2012, 12:57 AM
VS, buddy:

Already 8 pages, so I may have missed the obvious:
1) Is it the same mold as the PG/YT Prestige Mid (237.x)? I would expect since the CAPs are interchangeable?
2) What are the main differences between the YT and IG?

Thanks!

vsbabolat
01-28-2012, 07:05 AM
VS, buddy:

Already 8 pages, so I may have missed the obvious:
1) Is it the same mold as the PG/YT Prestige Mid (237.x)? I would expect since the CAPs are interchangeable?
2) What are the main differences between the YT and IG?

Thanks!

1. It's very very close. The grip length is a little longer.

2. The IG has better ball pocketing, softer feel, and less vibration, shock.

snagle
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Had a hit with the IG mp and pro today. Been using YT mp for the past two years. Really liked the update to the mp. Definitely feels more solid in the upper hoop and very comfortable (plush). Definitely plays heavier than the 310 swingweight (at least my demo did), even more so than the YT. The PRO is really solid and also and I would feel comfortable with either but prefer the softer feel and the 18/20 string pattern of the mp. Was considering switching to the IG pro before the demo but the updates to the mp have me sold.

chizzle
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
I had a great hit with the Mid last night, playing points (singles). I tried my buddy's, who had it strung with Dunlop Black Widow 17. I was shocked at how well it played and the spin was quite impressive!

So last night I cut out my hybrid (was due), and put in a spare set of poly (I need to order some strings), WC Mosquito Bite.

Didn't like it , and today was not very good (lost all 4 sets of doubles). The only thing is, going to the MP didn't seem to accomplish anything. Today was truly a case of the Indian and not the arrow. It's quite possible that I overdid it this week, as well.

What about string setups? I know its' early but lets hear it for both Mid/MP ?

Matchball
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
What about string setups? I know its' early but lets hear it for both Mid/MP ?

Interested too! How was black widow 17 on the Prestige mid? I have been using it a lot lately on the PB 10 mid.

stronzzi70
01-28-2012, 07:36 PM
VS Babolat,
Today I had my first session with my IG PRESTIGE MID, felt a little stiff, maybe cause the racquet has Solinco Tour Bite 1.20 mm at 52 lbs ( Electronic Machine). First time with this string.
I felt this IG Prestige Mid, with more top spin and more plow.
But I was little sad about the stiff feel.
Please let me know If you can.

vsbabolat
01-28-2012, 08:42 PM
VS Babolat,
Today I had my first session with my IG PRESTIGE MID, felt a little stiff, maybe cause the racquet has Solinco Tour Bite 1.20 mm at 52 lbs ( Electronic Machine). First time with this string.
I felt this IG Prestige Mid, with more top spin and more plow.
But I was little sad about the stiff feel.
Please let me know If you can.

The IG Prestige Mid did not feel stiff to me. It is crisper than the Prestige Classic but not what I would call stiff. When you test a racquet you should not put in it new strings that you have never used before. You should use strings that you normally put in your currant frame. That way you keep the variables to a minimum and can focus on what is going on with the racquet.

stronzzi70
01-28-2012, 09:01 PM
yes, you right about the strings, which one do you think is good for this racquet?

skeeter
01-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Anyone had a chance to compare the MP or Mid with the Pro, and/or with the any of the IG Radicals that are also out now?

RacketFever
01-29-2012, 12:11 AM
@snagle So you prefer the Ig PMP over the ig P Pro? I really liked the ig Prestige Pro. Can you give comparisons between the Ig PMP and The ig Prestige pro?

Dgdavid
01-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Anyone had a chance to compare the MP or Mid with the Pro, and/or with the any of the IG Radicals that are also out now?

I can compare the IG Prestige MP to IG Radical Pro (I own both). Will be doing a comparative write up with these two and Exo3 Tour 100 in next few days (just the three I liked most). I have made the switch to the Prestige MP though, fantastic racket (all three are actually).

snagle
01-29-2012, 08:58 AM
RacketFever...sorry for the wait. Liked the softer feel, flex and ball pocketing of the mp (felt like it was easier for me to place the ball). I didn't hit as much with the pro, it's also really solid w/ a nice combination of power and control. It's subjective but the mp just felt more comfortable and was a better fit for me. Both demos had syn gut probably strung around 57. If you get a chance demo them both. Thought I would prefer the PRO looking for some added pace/plow on my 2hbh but the IG mp seemed to be working just fine. String pattern didn't seem to make a huge difference for me. Maybe not able to hit kickers that jump off the court with the mp but 2nd serves were still pretty good. (played 2 yrs with mgpro, and last two with ytpmp)

RacketFever
01-29-2012, 09:08 AM
I already ordered the Pro. According to you, which is more forgiving? If you say its the Mp, ill cancel my order and buy the mp..

doodlyd
01-29-2012, 10:01 AM
Hello! To those who played with the IG MID and Blx
I played with K90 but they are out of stock now , Blx is everywhere
so i need to buy a new frame anyway , also i feel i can try something new!BUT i tried a lot of sticks out there and nothing plays like K90 .
Is it worth to try MID ? or i need to stay with the BLX 90 and save my money without those endless experiments. =) Also i put some lead on my frames so its not like a stock comparison.

snagle
01-29-2012, 11:01 AM
RacketFever, I'm sure there's a reason you went w/ the PRO and sure there are just as many people who would say they prefer it over the mp. They're both solid sticks, don't think you'll go wrong with either one.

vsbabolat
01-29-2012, 12:50 PM
yes, you right about the strings, which one do you think is good for this racquet?

I think you are using a hybrid of Luxilon and Tecnifibre. I think you should stay with that since that is your normal set-up. I like Gut in the mains and synthetic in the crosses. That is the only set-up I have tried since that is my normal string set-up.

hrstrat57
01-29-2012, 01:00 PM
I think you are using a hybrid of Luxilon and Tecnifibre. I think you should stay with that since that is your normal set-up. I like Gut in the mains and synthetic in the crosses. That is the only set-up I have tried since that is my normal string set-up.

First, great thread!

VS, curious what synthetic you use in 18x20 Head frames and what tension for both mains(gut) and syn (crosses)?

doodlyd
01-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Hello! To those who played with the IG MID and Blx
I played with K90 but they are out of stock now , Blx is everywhere
so i need to buy a new frame anyway , also i feel i can try something new!BUT i tried a lot of sticks out there and nothing plays like K90 .
Is it worth to try MID ? or i need to stay with the BLX 90 and save my money without those endless experiments. =) Also i put some lead on my frames so its not like a stock comparison.

And if I lead up IG MID to may be 360gr and BLX 90 to 360gr ,IG Mid still would have less power then BLX or it might be even? couse IG Mid has such a Low SW

movdqa
01-29-2012, 05:05 PM
It depends on where you put the lead.

vsbabolat
01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
First, great thread!

VS, curious what synthetic you use in 18x20 Head frames and what tension for both mains(gut) and syn (crosses)?

Thanks! I'm using Babolat Synthetic gut in the crosses. Both Gut mains and synthetic crosses are at 55lbs.

stronzzi70
01-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks you for you time VS..........

doodlyd
01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
It depends on where you put the lead.

I mean can i even the power level and stability of leaded up BLX 90 with 3gr at 12 its (around 361gr) to a leaded up IG MID its aprox. 10gr of lead maybe

but i cant put all lead at the top it will differ the balance to much i think

skeeter
01-30-2012, 12:04 AM
I can compare the IG Prestige MP to IG Radical Pro (I own both). Will be doing a comparative write up with these two and Exo3 Tour 100 in next few days (just the three I liked most). I have made the switch to the Prestige MP though, fantastic racket (all three are actually).

Excellent! Look forward to it!

skeeter
01-30-2012, 12:09 AM

Which synthetic in the crosses do you prefer? I also like gut mains but have been using various co-polys as crosses in my EXO 3 Tour. Now that I'm thinking about switching to either an IG MP or Mid (or maybe Pro), curious as to how the gut hybrid will play in these frames. Maybe a synthetic in the crosses might give it a bit more pop versus a co-poly cross? Preferred gauge in your Heads?

EDIT: Just saw that you answered my first question abut the synthetic you use, but appreciate response to my other queries. Thanks.

RacketFever
01-30-2012, 02:36 AM
So i hit with the ig prestige mp today. I loved it! Both the Pro and the MP are amazing rackets. Ground Strokes were awesome on the MP, but serving was not too great. I preferred serving from the Pro. So i have made my decision. I'am going to order 2 Ig prestige Pro and 1 Ig prestige MP.

JGads
01-30-2012, 02:51 AM
So i hit with the ig prestige mp today. I loved it! Both the Pro and the MP are amazing rackets. Ground Strokes were awesome on the MP, but serving was not too great. I preferred serving from the Pro. So i have made my decision. I'am going to order 2 Ig prestige Pro and 1 Ig prestige MP.

how did groundies compare, more specifically, between the two?

The MP can serve some bombs.

Torres
01-30-2012, 02:54 AM
Ground Strokes were awesome on the MP, but serving was not too great.

What are your reasons for saying that?

RacketFever
01-30-2012, 03:24 AM
The MP had great placement on serves, but i couldn't generate a lot of power. The Pro was just perfect. The feel on the MP is softer and a bit more buttery than the Pro. It felt great on impact while hitting forehands and backhands. Even though it was very low powered, i preferred the MP over the Pro on ground strokes.

snagle
01-30-2012, 06:47 AM
Sounds like a solid decision RF. Glad you got to demo the mp, it has some nice feel right? Think I will be making the switch to the IG pmp soon. I need to get rid of some of my old racquets before I can justify buying two new ones. Good thing they look similar to the YTK's...the wife will never know.

vsbabolat
01-30-2012, 06:50 AM
Which synthetic in the crosses do you prefer? I also like gut mains but have been using various co-polys as crosses in my EXO 3 Tour. Now that I'm thinking about switching to either an IG MP or Mid (or maybe Pro), curious as to how the gut hybrid will play in these frames. Maybe a synthetic in the crosses might give it a bit more pop versus a co-poly cross? Preferred gauge in your Heads?

EDIT: Just saw that you answered my first question abut the synthetic you use, but appreciate response to my other queries. Thanks.

I feel I get more pop with synthetic in the cross than Poly. I uses 16g.

RacketFever
01-30-2012, 07:44 AM
@snagle Yes, I think i made the right decision. Now i can get the best out of both the worlds.. :) .

chizzle
01-30-2012, 08:14 AM
So, I have now progressed to realizing the MP is just a better overall racquet for me.

It definitely serves much better, and it's still a very accurate stick.

I don't know if I "win more" but I'm definitely more consistent and play better with the MP.

Ordering 2 today.

Andyroddickfan
01-30-2012, 11:17 AM
@VS or anyone that can help.
Don't know if this has been answered but how does the ig mid compare to the yt mid? Thanks.

Faithfulfather
01-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Add me to the IG prestige mp club.

Dgdavid
01-30-2012, 12:32 PM
Got to sell my surplus rackets before I can buy extra MPs. Want three. Just got to sell IG Rad Pro, Exo3 Tour 100, IG Speed 300, Bio 500 Tour, Wilson Hammer 7.2 (antique!). Not exactly flying off the shelves here in the UK! Can I still join PMP club? I have one :-)

skeeter
01-30-2012, 04:09 PM
Got to sell my surplus rackets before I can buy extra MPs. Want three. Just got to sell IG Rad Pro, Exo3 Tour 100, IG Speed 300, Bio 500 Tour, Wilson Hammer 7.2 (antique!). Not exactly flying off the shelves here in the UK! Can I still join PMP club? I have one :-)

Care to do a little write up comparing the ones you tested against each other and why MP won out? Thanks!

vsbabolat
01-30-2012, 07:44 PM
@VS or anyone that can help.
Don't know if this has been answered but how does the ig mid compare to the yt mid? Thanks.

The IG Mid is much better than the YT. The IG Mid has better softer feel, less vibration and shock, more pop, and better ball pocketing from the string bed.

Dgdavid
01-31-2012, 12:41 AM
Care to do a little write up comparing the ones you tested against each other and why MP won out? Thanks!

will do. probably later today in fact.

Pure Babs
01-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Just demoed the prestige ig mp today.. Wow. It's quite the stick. Currently I'm using the prestige pro, but considering a switch to the mp! To my surprise, I actually felt like I served much better with the mp... I wonder how much of a difference there is between the ig pro and the youtek pro...

cmendez79
01-31-2012, 09:24 AM
The IG Mid is much better than the YT. The IG Mid has better softer feel, less vibration and shock, more pop, and better ball pocketing from the string bed.

Hi vsbabolat,

What was your previous set up and tension???

Thanks

parasailing
01-31-2012, 11:09 AM
The Rad Pro IG didn't work for me but curious about the Prestige MP IG. I have demoed the Prestige MP and found it to be a nice racquet but lacks power and felt a bit stiff.

Does the new IG MP address both these issues and how does it compare to the PSTGT?

JGads
01-31-2012, 11:17 AM
The Rad Pro IG didn't work for me but curious about the Prestige MP IG. I have demoed the Prestige MP and found it to be a nice racquet but lacks power and felt a bit stiff.

Does the new IG MP address both these issues and how does it compare to the PSTGT?

The IG has improved both of those areas. So far, I'm thoroughly impressed. The feel is great and the ball is heavier.

Versus the PSTGT, it moves through the air a LOT easier and hits a ball that's SLIGHTLY less powerful, in my opinion. Feel of the hit is a little more solid to me.

vsbabolat
01-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Hi vsbabolat,

What was your previous set up and tension???

Thanks

I have not changed string or tension. Babolat Tonic ball feel/Babolat Synthetic Gut @ 55lbs.

doodlyd
01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I did a test using customization tool ,to know what i need to do with IG MID to level its power weight and swingweight with BLX 90.

____________BLX90stock_________IG MID stock________IG MID+lead
Weight_________354 gr___________349 gr_____________354gr
Balance_________31 cm(9HL)______32 cm(7HL)_________32.41 (5.9HL)
Swing Weight____333 gr__________317 gr______________332.5 gr
Power Potential__41.45___________39.63_______________41. 45
Plowthrough_____28.1____________25.2______________ __28.1
Power Potential__18.23___________13.49(YT)____________14 .98
(3/9 O'clock)

IG MID+lead with 4.5g at 12 and 0.5gr inside the handle 1cm from the butcap

So with such adjustments i can even those frame in power and plowthrough but look at the balance ,Head is more then 3 points head heavy , it would be more difficult to maneuver it during a play . In numbers BLX is a more complete stick ,while Head can offer a more pleasant fell,but is it worth it with such a drop off in maneuverability and less torsional stability.

Marcus
01-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Hi VS

Really looking forward to hearing how you feel the IG MP compares to the 280/630

Regards
Mark

stronzzi70
01-31-2012, 02:53 PM
VS......
Second day with my IG Prestige Mid, I felt much better, but I think I need a little more SW, I would like maybe 330 g of SW, how much weight at 12 ?
in your opinion.

doodlyd
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
VS......
I would like maybe 330 g of SW, how much weight at 12 ?
in your opinion.
4gr at 12 and u will be fine with 330

parasailing
01-31-2012, 03:07 PM
The IG has improved both of those areas. So far, I'm thoroughly impressed. The feel is great and the ball is heavier.

Versus the PSTGT, it moves through the air a LOT easier and hits a ball that's SLIGHTLY less powerful, in my opinion. Feel of the hit is a little more solid to me.

Thanks JGads for the info. I have queued up the MP IG for demo and looking forward to an improved racquet. This could be a worthy contender to my PSTGT then :).

stronzzi70
01-31-2012, 08:09 PM
2 g each side at 12??...........I have just 1/4 wide lead tape......o.25 per inch

stormholloway
01-31-2012, 10:37 PM
So any comparisons to the PT280? If you talked about it I missed it.

ae1222
02-01-2012, 12:48 PM
I read this thread so I took the MP demo out for a spin. I will agree this is a much better version of the prestige compared to the last several versions of the frame. Pretty good feel and a nice sweet spot. I can feel the stiffness difference between this and my PT57A's, but it has a pretty good feel in my book. It feels a bit closer to the TGK 238.1 in feel, it just doesn't flex in the hoop that that frame does. But all in all a nice stick. I am probably going to get one and set it up to my specs and see what the real differences are, this could be an option as a racquet for me...

stronzzi70
02-01-2012, 08:03 PM
I received my IG PRESTIGE MP: Strung with Wilson sensation at 55 lbs / Prince Tournament Poly 53 lbs mains.
Today I went to the court with my IG Prestige MP and my IG Prestige Mid, was my first day with the MP.
I played full match, I won the first set with the MP: Nice frame, amazing control, power is there if you have skills for that, decent top spin also, but for one reason I was missing some heavy balls like IG Prestige Mid does.
Second set, still with the MP...was ok...almost the same performance like the first set, but I felt tired , then I saw my opponet comfortable with my balls......I lost the second set.
Third Set :
switched to the IG Prestige Mid..........Oh my god.....my serve is back again huge bombs,,,all my groundstrokes was much much better, I can saw my opponent losing more often his timing, in the same time my slice was very low and fast....My forehand was killing every balls above my waist..
What I can say...this IG Mid is my official racquet...try to sell the MP....I going for two IG Prestige Mid..maybe three.
Apologize for my english........

Bartelby
02-01-2012, 08:19 PM
The mp is simply lacking the swingweight of the mid, so as you tired the racquet became less helpful.

Add some lead to the mp and then see how you like it before selling.

I received my IG PRESTIGE MP: Strung with Wilson sensation at 55 lbs / Prince Tournament Poly 53 lbs mains.
Today I went to the court with my IG Prestige MP and my IG Prestige Mid, was my first day with the MP.
I played full match, I won the first set with the MP: Nice frame, amazing control, power is there if you have skills for that, decent top spin also, but for one reason I was missing some heavy balls like IG Prestige Mid does.
Second set, still with the MP...was ok...almost the same performance like the first set, but I felt tired , then I saw my opponet comfortable with my balls......I lost the second set.
Third Set :
switched to the IG Prestige Mid..........Oh my god.....my serve is back again huge bombs,,,all my groundstrokes was much much better, I can saw my opponent losing more often his timing, in the same time my slice was very low and fast....My forehand was killing every balls above my waist..
What I can say...this IG Mid is my official racquet...try to sell the MP....I going for two IG Prestige Mid..maybe three.

Pure Babs
02-01-2012, 08:20 PM

I'll take the MP off your hands ;)

stronzzi70
02-01-2012, 08:26 PM
IG prestige MP......great racquet........
But the amazing feel of the Mid really make me so happy...I want to play more and more with it,.....

vsbabolat
02-01-2012, 08:51 PM
IG prestige MP......great racquet........
But the amazing feel of the Mid really make me so happy...I want to play more and more with it,.....

That's how I feel.

wao
02-01-2012, 09:09 PM
That's how I feel.

VS, did you ever hit with the Pro? I have to agree the MID is a great stick. I have the MP as a demo and going out this weekend as last week I hit with the MID. WOW never really thought I would like a 93 especially as I am getting older. My demo of the pro is on order.

Bartelby
02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
It's actually an 88.5 or thereabouts - there's a thread where all the maths was done.

VS, did you ever hit with the Pro? I have to agree the MID is a great stick. I have the MP as a demo and going out this weekend as last week I hit with the MID. WOW never really thought I would like a 93 especially as I am getting older. My demo of the pro is on order.

parasailing
02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on the demo based on the reviews so far about the Mid and MP. Does IG really improve both these racquets by that much?

I hit with the Youtek Prestige MP and it offered great control but lack power. Has anyone played with the KPS 88 and can give a comparison between that and the IG Mid?

Ashanti
02-01-2012, 10:27 PM
i just cant get over the clear cap grommet just kills it making it ugly

JGads
02-01-2012, 11:41 PM
I can't wait to get my hands on the demo based on the reviews so far about the Mid and MP. Does IG really improve both these racquets by that much?

I hit with the Youtek Prestige MP and it offered great control but lack power. Has anyone played with the KPS 88 and can give a comparison between that and the IG Mid?

I don't know what Innegra is, but it really helped these sticks. They just feel really nice and solid, and no longer at all harsh.

Dgdavid
02-02-2012, 04:49 AM
crikey. I had just settled on the IG Prestige MP but all the Mid comments are making me wonder....

movdqa
02-02-2012, 05:20 AM

Well, I can give you a comparison with the KPS88 and the YT Prestige MP. My IG Prestige MPs are on the way so I can do a comparison with all three, hopefully soon.

I have my YT Prestige MPs leaded up to around where my KPS88s are though the swingweights on the YTPMPs are quite a bit higher due to the lead placements. I find that the KPS88s are more precise and accurate but find that I win more with the YTPMPs. Power between the two frames is comparable as is spin production. I was surprised at the spin-friendliness of the YTPMP with it's tight pattern. Both are rock solid at 13 ounces. Both are great on forehand topspin, serve, volley. The KPS88 is better for my one-handed backhand, the YTPMP is a bit better on my serve and forehand and, it's a little more forgiving on defensive shots.

I suspect that I would love the IG Prestige Mid for feel and accuracy but I think that I will still play better with the MP.

movdqa
02-02-2012, 05:21 AM
> i just cant get over the clear cap grommet just kills it
> making it ugly

Just replace it with the black one or use a Sharpie.

vsbabolat
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM

I have not hit with the IG Prestige Pro. I have hit with the IG Radical pro.

RacketFever
02-02-2012, 06:38 AM
It's actually an 88.5 or thereabouts - there's a thread where all the maths was done. Can you give me the link to the thread? Are you trying to say that the head size of the new prestige line is lesser than what they are marketing it for?

shadowshifter
02-02-2012, 07:14 AM

Ooh, can you comment on the IG radical pro and how it compares to the prestiges you've tried?

vsbabolat
02-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Can you give me the link to the thread? Are you trying to say that the head size of the new prestige line is lesser than what they are marketing it for?

It's 89.5sq.in. When the Prestige Mid first came out it in 1986 it was printed on the frame 89.5. Then at some point in the 90's they started calling it 93. The head size has never changed.

RacketFever
02-02-2012, 09:51 AM
It's 89.5sq.in. When the Prestige Mid first came out it in 1986 it was printed on the frame 89.5. Then at some point in the 90's they started calling it 93. The head size has never changed.
So my Ig prestige pro is 95 sq inch? I find it offers more forgiveness than my PDGT.

stronzzi70
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM

Vs,,,,what do you think about it...?........IG RADICAL PRO..

parasailing
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
IG Rad MP > IG Rad Pro. IG does make the entire Head line better than the Youtek version. Waiting to demo IG Prestige MP and IG Prestige Mid to see how they compare.

vsbabolat
02-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Vs,,,,what do you think about it...?........IG RADICAL PRO..

I liked it. It has good sweet spot location, nice feel, and very good pop off the stringbed. I did not like the balance or the overall static weight. But that can be very easily changed.

stronzzi70
02-03-2012, 11:02 AM
I liked it. It has good sweet spot location, nice feel, and very good pop off the stringbed. I did not like the balance or the overall static weight. But that can be very easily changed.

I would like test this racquet just for fun.....maybe 10 g at handle and 2 g at 3 and 9..........what do you think?

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 02:19 AM
Prestige MP restring with Gut in mains, Poly in crosses both at 2lbs under mid-tension. Would that provide a bit more pop without sacrificing control?

skeeter
02-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Prestige MP restring with Gut in mains, Poly in crosses both at 2lbs under mid-tension. Would that provide a bit more pop without sacrificing control?

I just purchased the IG MP and had it strung with VS gut in the mains and MSV Co-Focus in the crosses, at 58/53. Have used gut/poly hybrids in my EXO 3 Tour (and other racquets) and really like this combo. I've always felt that a gut/poly hybrid has some positive off-setting characteristics: the gut seems to provide more power compared to other strings, while the poly seems to provide that needed control.

Have only played one set with the Prestige (successfully) so far, but really liked this hybrid in it. Not sure if it provided "more pop" as I don't have other Prestige MP's with different string setups with which to compare, but it did seem to have more pop in relation to the demo I used a couple of weeks ago which had Wilson Sensation in it. And I was definitely liking the control aspect as shots that I felt were going long more often stayed in. And a lot of my shots seemed really heavy (per my opponent's comments) with some surprising good spin for an 18x20. While my serves weren't blistering, they were more powerful than what I was getting with the EXO, and good precision.

It was just one set that I played, so more testing to go as the strings settle in. But, so far so good.

Dgdavid
02-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Skeeter. Mine is currently stock (Sonic Pro 17) at mid-tension. I am playing well with it but a little bit more pace is what I am after (yes I can hit harder but want my natural stroke to be slightly more pace).

I think Sonic Pro is a copoly (?) so thought either get the same (or RPM Blast) and drop it 2lbs; or get full poly like pro hurricane tour (and drop it 2lbs) but that is the limit of my very poor string knowledge. Saw someone else mention Gut/Poly hybrid but I think I had it the wrong way round in my head (poly in mains when it sounds like gut in the mains). Do you have a suggestion I should ask the stringer? Don't want to mess too much because its 26 a time!

skeeter
02-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Thanks Skeeter. Mine is currently stock (Sonic Pro 17) at mid-tension. I am playing well with it but a little bit more pace is what I am after (yes I can hit harder but want my natural stroke to be slightly more pace).

I think Sonic Pro is a copoly (?) so thought either get the same (or RPM Blast) and drop it 2lbs; or get full poly like pro hurricane tour (and drop it 2lbs) but that is the limit of my very poor string knowledge. Saw someone else mention Gut/Poly hybrid but I think I had it the wrong way round in my head (poly in mains when it sounds like gut in the mains). Do you have a suggestion I should ask the stringer? Don't want to mess too much because its 26 a time!

The other nice thing about hybridizing with gut is that it is obviously cheaper than going with a full bed. And Pacific makes some decent gut that's of good value compared to Babolat and others. Since the mains are generally your "power" strings, i.e., I understand that the mains are your more "active" string, and gut is intrinsically a more powerful string, I'd definitely string the mains with gut to get a bit more power, then try either a co-poly or even a soft multi in the crosses, but a few pounds lower than the mains. Your stringer may have some ideas as well.

leeroy85
02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
vsbabolat -

Do you prefer this IG Prestige Mid over the Wilson 6.0 Tour series?

Dgdavid
02-07-2012, 03:54 AM
The other nice thing about hybridizing with gut is that it is obviously cheaper than going with a full bed. And Pacific makes some decent gut that's of good value compared to Babolat and others. Since the mains are generally your "power" strings, i.e., I understand that the mains are your more "active" string, and gut is intrinsically a more powerful string, I'd definitely string the mains with gut to get a bit more power, then try either a co-poly or even a soft multi in the crosses, but a few pounds lower than the mains. Your stringer may have some ideas as well.

My stringer (*** in UK) strongly recommends the Gut in the crosses not mains because it will still give a little extra power but be far more durable. Looks like I will go for RPM Blast in mains and VS Gut in crosses both at mid-tension (as per my current Sonic Pro full bed). He says that in comparison, it will be me the little extra power without sacrificing control I am looking for. Thinks VS in mains will give me too much extra if I am only fine tuning. VIew?

vsbabolat
02-07-2012, 04:37 AM
vsbabolat -

Do you prefer this IG Prestige Mid over the Wilson 6.0 Tour series?

I prefer the IG Prestige Mid over the Wilson 6.0 Tour series and the IG Prestige MP.

klementine
02-07-2012, 07:02 PM
Vs,
I'm out of tennis for awhile. Just had successful rotator cuff surgery and hopefully there will be NO extensive rehab sessions.

But I've been looking at my 'comeback stick' already. I'm seriously considering the PresMid, as it is one of the few frames I know that can be played with full multi and still be considered low-powered.

I played with the MgMid for 4 years and absolutley loved and still love that frame. My problem was that I absolutely hated the Yt version (way too stiff/unforgiving) and thus started to demo and experiment with other frames.

I've hit with the i.prestige, the LM and flexpoint (rated in the same order) but my favorite was the Mg. Should I start hunting down MgMids or will this IGmid satisfy that plush, soft feeling that I need.

Regards,
Klem

klementine
02-07-2012, 07:18 PM
I should add that I have demo'd the IGPresMid+ (3months ago) and thought it was pretty much the same as the Yt version. Still way too stiff for me, albeit a 'tighter', 'crisper' feel than the Yt version.

Just wondering if the IGPresMid plays (in terms of feel) anything like the IGPresMid+, if it does, I'm staying away.

vsbabolat
02-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Vs,
I'm out of tennis for awhile. Just had successful rotator cuff surgery and hopefully there will be NO extensive rehab sessions.

But I've been looking at my 'comeback stick' already. I'm seriously considering the PresMid, as it is one of the few frames I know that can be played with full multi and still be considered low-powered.

I played with the MgMid for 4 years and absolutley loved and still love that frame. My problem was that I absolutely hated the Yt version (way too stiff/unforgiving) and thus started to demo and experiment with other frames.

I've hit with the i.prestige, the LM and flexpoint (rated in the same order) but my favorite was the Mg. Should I start hunting down MgMids or will this IGmid satisfy that plush, soft feeling that I need.

Regards,
Klem

I should add that I have demo'd the IGPresMid+ (3months ago) and thought it was pretty much the same as the Yt version. Still way too stiff for me, albeit a 'tighter', 'crisper' feel than the Yt version.

Just wondering if the IGPresMid plays (in terms of feel) anything like the IGPresMid+, if it does, I'm staying away.

The IG Prestige Mid feels nothing like the MP. It feels so much better than the MP it's not even funny. I really like the Mid and it feels nothing like the YT. When you come back demo it.

APG
02-07-2012, 08:06 PM
The IG Prestige Mid feels nothing like the MP. It feels so much better than the MP it's not even funny. I really like the Mid and it feels nothing like the YT. When you come back demo it.

VS do you think the IGmid+ is still much softer and forgiving than the YT version. I assume then you think the Ig mid is more arm friendly than the mid+ IG. I liked both(IG) and purchased the mid+. now have some concerns about the mid+ since I hurt my elbow with the YT. Your input appreciated now that you have probably had more time with both.

skeeter
02-07-2012, 08:30 PM
My stringer (*** in UK) strongly recommends the Gut in the crosses not mains because it will still give a little extra power but be far more durable. Looks like I will go for RPM Blast in mains and VS Gut in crosses both at mid-tension (as per my current Sonic Pro full bed). He says that in comparison, it will be me the little extra power without sacrificing control I am looking for. Thinks VS in mains will give me too much extra if I am only fine tuning. VIew?

I'm not a string Meister like others on these boards, so I defer to any others who might know more than I on this matter. I was looking for something a little more arm-friendly and a bigger jump in power, so went with gut in the mains for that reason. But if you're only tweaking a bit, as you say, then I'm sure gut in the crosses will be fine. However, it's such a low-powered, control-oriented frame, that I don't think gut in the mains will cause you to loose that much, if any, control. But, hey, best thing to do is just try it out and see what works best!

JGads
02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

VS do you think the IGmid+ is still much softer and forgiving than the YT version. I assume then you think the Ig mid is more arm friendly than the mid+ IG. I liked both(IG) and purchased the mid+. now have some concerns about the mid+ since I hurt my elbow with the YT. Your input appreciated now that you have probably had more time with both.

I at one point owned and played with both the Youtek Mid and Midplus (played the Mid for about six months, the Midplus for just a few weeks before selling it because I preferred the Mid and it felt better to me). I can say definitively that both IG versions play softer and more solid than their Youtek counterparts. The Youtek versions - especially the Midplus - had a very brassy feel to them sometimes, or on hits outside of the sweetspot. I've had demos of both of the new frames and they both feel outstanding....

The IG Mid feels better than the Midplus and, with the right string, may not even need a dampener. The Midplus, without a dampener, can rattle a bit but with a dampener it becomes very silky smooth. Personally I don't think that the feel of the Mid and Midplus, with dampeners in them, feel very different. The Mid does feel extra yummy because of its weight and solidity, but the Midplus is a very nice feeling frame and I don't think the difference in feel between the two sticks is as huge as it was with the YT Mid and YT Midplus.

With the Youteks, I preferred the Mid hands down. With the IG, the Midplus is my preferred frame. Just my input.

APG
02-07-2012, 09:56 PM
Gads, I appreciate your input. I liked the feel of the mp and the mid even better. However, I thought I would be more consistent with the MP. I have not played with my preferred string or set-up but will do so tomorrow. Time will tell. After not playing for over a year I want to optimize my chances of staying healthy. Thanks again

Bartelby
02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
The youteks had a metallic feel, which is probably the same as saying brassy, but its a feeling I didn't mind.

mromato64
02-08-2012, 12:04 AM
I at one point owned and played with both the Youtek Mid and Midplus (played the Mid for about six months, the Midplus for just a few weeks before selling it because I preferred the Mid and it felt better to me). I can say definitively that both IG versions play softer and more solid than their Youtek counterparts. The Youtek versions - especially the Midplus - had a very brassy feel to them sometimes, or on hits outside of the sweetspot. I've had demos of both of the new frames and they both feel outstanding....

The IG Mid feels better than the Midplus and, with the right string, may not even need a dampener. The Midplus, without a dampener, can rattle a bit but with a dampener it becomes very silky smooth. Personally I don't think that the feel of the Mid and Midplus, with dampeners in them, feel very different. The Mid does feel extra yummy because of its weight and solidity, but the Midplus is a very nice feeling frame and I don't think the difference in feel between the two sticks is as huge as it was with the YT Mid and YT Midplus.

With the Youteks, I preferred the Mid hands down. With the IG, the Midplus is my preferred frame. Just my input.

I agree. Demoed both the IG mid and mp. Both racquets serve incredibly well. Just relax and the prestige just serves bombs into the court. I also prefer the mp just because its more forgiving than the mid, but I can see myself playing with the mid. I feel the mid is a little more maneuverable than the mp and it is more solid feeling. Nevertheless the mp still feels great and it's a lot more stable than the last version, which i found a little too stiff and light.

Dgdavid
02-09-2012, 01:46 AM
VSBabolat/JGads,
If I am playing well and happily with the Midplus (which I am), what might the Mid add on top or take away? Extra/less pop, more/less forgiving when hitting off centre etc?

stronzzi70
02-09-2012, 08:11 PM
After demoed the next racquet:
BLX 95 18X20 2012, IG RADICAL PRO, IG PRESTIGE MID PLUS, PS 95 ( OH my god what are you doing wilson), PS 90 (Again what are you doing wilson) and the IG Prestige Mid.......All can say is: This is the best racquet until now for this 2012........IG Prestige Mid!

stormholloway
02-09-2012, 08:41 PM
I get the mid in the mail tomorrow. I'm pretty stoked. I've played with most of the line excluding the liquidmetal. I bought and played with the YT version for a time. It didn't have the magic though. The hoop just wasn't sweet at all. Once the honeymoon wore off I realized what I had was essentially a mistake by Head.

The TW reviews seem to reflect this as well. The YT mid got **** poor marks here.

JGads
02-09-2012, 09:45 PM
VSBabolat/JGads,
If I am playing well and happily with the Midplus (which I am), what might the Mid add on top or take away? Extra/less pop, more/less forgiving when hitting off centre etc?

Might depend a little on hour style and swing. But, for me, this is how it broke down:

Mid: more plow through and stability on defensive 'block-backs', better slices and on a kill shot, if you hit the sweet spot, just a sick, pinpoint ball that's criminal. The feel is also slightly better, a LOT better without a dampener, but with a damp it's close.

MP: a LOT more forgiveness, more maneuverability, and you just don't have to be as fine with your stroke. Off center hits are still playable rather than shanked. More spin, and I personally had a MUCH better serve (both heaviness and especially better consistency).

Last year I did the same comparison and the Mid just crushed the MP in all things. The MP was just an average frame that served well but didn't have a special feel (too brassy) and didn't have a heavy ball come off the frame. Just no guts. This year the MP has improved everywhere, feel and ball quality, and stability, and when I faced a player better than me on a windy day, all was revealed for me: I shanked my way through an awful set in which I got absolutely crushed with the Mid, and then with the Midplus against the same guy on the same night I battled my way into a tiebreaker that I lost. On a different night against the same guy, I went 6-1 when I fell into an exhilarating (and rare) zone of just total control over the ball and bomb serve after bomb serve.

I just think that Head massively improved this MP version, bringing it close enough to the Mid that the added forgiveness is worth going for, whereas with past versions the Mid was just so far ahead of the MP in other areas. If I always played equal or lesser players in ideal conditions, the Mid might be more 'fun' to play with, but the MP is the much smarter choice for me against guys at or above my level.

I'm re-demoing the MP this week to see if I want to make a purchase.

JGads
02-09-2012, 09:46 PM
Oh, and also, I generally agree with just about everything Chris Edwards says in his review... The Mid is just an unreal rally racquet, but in set play, the MP just clearly won out with its forgiveness while playing closely enough to the Mid in most areas.

Bartelby
02-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Its a pity its hard to measure swingweight because there's no way what people are playing are the same racquets that TW tested.

Dgdavid
02-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Thanks JGads. I bought a MID just in case and will try it over the next week. Also experimenting with the strings on my two MidPluses. I need to settle though so at the end of the week, either the MID or the MPs are going into the Europe sale/trade section. Can't be doing with choice each time I go to the bag!

Dgdavid
02-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Forgot to ask, if you do have Mid and Midplus in the bag, can you go back and forth between them without it hurting your game (having to change strokes much)?

movdqa
02-10-2012, 01:48 PM
My IG Prestige MPs arrived just before I was going out for a match. I thought that one would be strung but they both came brand new and unstrung. I just took a few swings through the air and they were easier to swing than I expected for 386 Swingweight - maybe it was that there were no strings in it.

Paintjob is really nice - much better in person than in pictures. I don't like the clear grommets but may leave them in there.

After putting them back in the box, I played my match with my YT Prestige MPs and the one that I used felt great. Pop, spin, control - all there. It will probably take me a week to get these strung up and I hope to give them a try next Friday. I hope that they feel as great as everyone has mentioned. But if not, I'll be perfectly happy with the YTs.

APG
02-10-2012, 02:28 PM
I have the Prestige IG MP. Strung with gut at 53lbs. It feels real tight still after 3 sets. Is this racket stringing up tight. It makes my elbow "uptight". Corny but could not resist. I have been using the same stringer for years without incidence.