PDA

View Full Version : New Racquet Selection

kodsine
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Dear all,

I am browsing for a new tennis racquet to substitute my current http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-LMRAD.html.
I want to have more power and a heavier racquet. My personal choice lies between these three racuqets. I would appreciate if you can share your more expert opinion with me and recommend one of these three or any other one similar to that.

http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageRCDUNHFRA-DB4H.html

http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageRCHEADH-HS18.html

http://www.tenniswarehouse-europe.com/descpageRCBABH-BPDR11.html

Thank you :)

Dgdavid
01-17-2012, 03:55 PM
If you are looking at the IG Speed MP 18x20, also look at the IG Speed 300. I own both and much prefer the Speed 300. Found my OHBH and serve to be much better, forehands about the same. 18x20 marginally better on volleys but not much in it.

kodsine
01-18-2012, 04:34 AM
OK, thanks for the input. And what do you think of the Dunlop? From the reviews I read so far it has the highest overall score + everyone mentions it is a very good power&control racket. Do you agree?

mxmx
01-18-2012, 06:00 AM
OK, thanks for the input. And what do you think of the Dunlop? From the reviews I read so far it has the highest overall score + everyone mentions it is a very good power&control racket. Do you agree?

If i were to generalise with Dunlop, then i would agree.
From your list, the dunlop is probably the safest bet in my opinion.

Can you explain your gameplay style more as well as your physical attributes? Maybe we can suggest more accurately....

I think the most important thing for you to do, is to at least select the right "type" of racket as opposed to the brand.

What is your ability?

IMO the higher your ability, the less power you need from a racket - you can generate that on your own...so control orientated may be better suited.
If you are not very strong and you are novice to medium player, you need more power. Most light tweeners normally do well here.

A new racket has the oppertunity to improve aspects you previously struggled with...so merely replacing your current racket, is not always what you should think of.

jottect
01-18-2012, 06:24 AM
I am a 3.5 rated, I'm pretty old (almost senior), I am not strong, only 175Lb, and I have tried several sticks lately since I wanted to move away from my old Aerogel 300 4D. And when I say I tried I do not mean demoed, but play a few weeks with a stick and then decide. Also switched to a two hand backhand.

* Wilson KFactor KBlade 98 - I like it, pretty stable for me but it seemed too ordinary, nothing to write home about, I'd rather stick w/ my aerogel.
* Babolat Pure Drive GT - solid feel and returns, but too stiff for my arm.
* Head Youtek IG Instinct - I really liked this one, but for some reasons I struggled with my serve and with my net play. For a while I thought this will be the chosen one but even when I lowered the string tension, after a 3 setter I was having some pain in my elbow. Now I decided to add some weight and give it another try.

I also demoed Dunlop Biomimetic 300 but I did not feel so much improvement in my game over the Aerogel to make me invest in the new one.
I wanted to try the Biomimetic 400 even its stiffness it's rated @ 67 but by accident (or luck) I stumbled onto

* Dunlop Biomimetic 500 Tour - oh boy, my serve is back, my net play is better, my new backhand works great... the only thing I'm missing is my "killer" forehand, but I'm working on it :) Love this puppy!

Looking at your initial stick and your selection, @ first touch you may like, in this order: Head, Dunlop, Babolat; but of course, I may be wrong :)

kodsine
01-18-2012, 07:25 AM
It can be said that I am novice to medium level player. I am well built and that's why I think I can afford a heavier (~325-330gr) racket. The problem in my case is that I dont have a good grip of the racket because of over-sweating. I have tried different overgrips and even bought the Bionic tennis gloves but I am still loosing the grip of my racket. Hence, I can't put much power on my own and need a heavier racket.
Game style... tough question :D I am trying to improve hits from the baseline and I like playing on the net... I guess it can be said that my game is spread around and I dont have a killer of anything yet :D

I am also a bit worried about this stiffness thing of the Dunlop but I guess it can't be that bad.

kodsine
01-18-2012, 07:30 AM
Also, I am not very fast on the court and I have a one-handed backhand. Serving - almost 0 top spin :( Working on it

Dgdavid
01-18-2012, 10:02 AM
I just ordered an Exo3 Tour 100 and a Dunlop Bio 500 Tour. Will update you when I get them. Getting an IG Prestige Pro too. Very different yes and I am told I will hate the Prestige because "it has a sweetspot the size of a pea" by the guy in the shop but after watching TW reviews, got to give it a go. I am about NTRP 4.0 (but in UK).

tennisjon
01-18-2012, 11:17 AM
I haven't played with the new Pure Drive. I have played with the other two racquets which I do enjoy. Although these three racquets are a little more advanced than you are, they are good selections. I would say the Head racquet, being the most maneuverable is probably the best for you. I agree that the 300 might be better for you too. It is headlight enough that if its too light, just add some lead.

KenC
01-18-2012, 11:40 AM
The problem in my case is that I dont have a good grip of the racket because of over-sweating. I have tried different overgrips and even bought the Bionic tennis gloves but I am still loosing the grip of my racket. Hence, I can't put much power on my own and need a heavier racket.
Game style... tough question :D I am trying to improve hits from the baseline and I like playing on the net... I guess it can be said that my game is spread around and I dont have a killer of anything yet :D

I am also a bit worried about this stiffness thing of the Dunlop but I guess it can't be that bad.

I have sweaty hands as well and the only thing that seems to work for me on really hot days is rotating through matched racquets every 10-15 minutes or so.

I suggest you get your hands on as many demo racquets as possible and then jot down the various characteristics of each, such as head size, balance, weight, swingweight, string pattern and start to find out what characteristics really groove with you and which don't. Sooner or later you will determine what you like and what you need and the final choice will be much easier and effective.

mxmx
01-19-2012, 02:08 AM
It can be said that I am novice to medium level player. I am well built and that's why I think I can afford a heavier (~325-330gr) racket. The problem in my case is that I dont have a good grip of the racket because of over-sweating. I have tried different overgrips and even bought the Bionic tennis gloves but I am still loosing the grip of my racket. Hence, I can't put much power on my own and need a heavier racket.

I suggest you rather try to learn to gain power with technique, rather than with a more powerful racket. But if its power you want, whilst having some control, i really suggest the exo3 black range.
I find Prince and Dunlop to be good all round rackets...i personally prefer Prince.

With the exo3 black, i can guarantee killer shots if you have the technique and self control to go with it. I have hit some of my biggest groundstrokes, smashes, volleys and serves with the speedport black, which is similar setup to the exo blacks, except a older model. I switched to the exo tour 100 to have more control on the groundstrokes and because i am overly agressive on my shots.

Gripping your racket:
Take a sock, place some talc/baby powder in it, tie a knot, and keep it in your pocket. As your hand sweats, brush with some talc.
You can also spread your fingers on the handle and grip with bottom fingers. Are you sure you have the correct grip size? There needs to be a finger spaced gap when holding....

Babolat grips are slippery...Wilson and Karakal makes the best grips in my opinion. Consider something like a ripple grip.

kodsine
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
OK, the decision is made: I just ordered the Dunlop Biometric 500 tour with my coach. He and his colleagues use the 500 tour themselves and let me tried it for this week's training. It felt like I have also played with it :))) I think it is a good switch from my current racket. I am still a bit doubtful when it comes to choose from the tour 400 and tour 500... In all the review and tech specs the 400 has a small advantage over the 500 tour... Hope I made the right decision my following the advice of my coach who said that the 500 is not as stiff as the 400 and provides better touch of the ball. The racket comes pre-strung but I would be happy of you can recommend me some particular string set + optimal tensions to use. Do you guys use hybrid strings?

jottect
01-20-2012, 05:11 AM
OK, the decision is made: I just ordered the Dunlop Biometric 500 tour with my coach. He and his colleagues use the 500 tour themselves and let me tried it for this week's training. It felt like I have also played with it :))) I think it is a good switch from my current racket. I am still a bit doubtful when it comes to choose from the tour 400 and tour 500... In all the review and tech specs the 400 has a small advantage over the 500 tour... Hope I made the right decision my following the advice of my coach who said that the 500 is not as stiff as the 400 and provides better touch of the ball. The racket comes pre-strung but I would be happy of you can recommend me some particular string set + optimal tensions to use. Do you guys use hybrid strings?

Haha, so you ended up with the same stick as I did :) I think it's a good/great stick for an intermediate-advanced player.
Stringing may be a personal preference to you, but if you want/need more power go with a lower tension and higher if you need more control.
My 500t came pre-strung with some hybrid (poly + synth) but at high tension (>60Lb) and for me it is playable but not what I like. For you I'd recommend stringing at mid recommended tension (60) and see how it is going from there.
Usually if I string full poly (Dunlop Black widow or Kirschbaum Pro Line II or Evolution) I go low: 50-55. I also prefer a hybrid with one of the previous poly on the mains with Gosen OG-Sheep in the crosses at about 50 mains and 55 crosses.
But you will have to experiment and find what you like best.
Good luck and keep us posted!