PDA

View Full Version : Tennis in Minneapolis?

devilish_duke
07-18-2005, 07:53 PM
So freezing winters aside, how's the tennis scene at the "healthiest city in America"?

Joe Average
11-02-2005, 08:03 PM
Yes. I'd like to know as well. I'm moving out there in December. St. Paul, really. I know about the tennis club at the University of Minnesota. I'm going to investigate that. I'm not interested in a health club as I am in tennis. And I do know about the Nicollet Tennis Center (Read-Sweatt). Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Thanks.

bluegrasser
11-03-2005, 04:40 AM
Tennis is real healthy in the " Land of Ten Thousand Taxes", there's the chain of Northwest tennis clubs, a city club ( where I play ) that has two bubbles and cost only $65 for the season, other independant clubs, more leagues than you can shake a fist at, a great tennis shop that was started in 1938 + that's where you'll find me on fri nights having a few with the boys for a couple of hours.

If you want more info, just contact me personally when you arrive.

penang
11-03-2005, 03:49 PM
I am visiting Minneapolis, and will check out the place at Nicholet Place later tonight about the league 3.5-4.5. As soon as I get back I will post it here.

penang
11-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Yes. I'd like to know as well. I'm moving out there in December. St. Paul, really. I know about the tennis club at the University of Minnesota. I'm going to investigate that. I'm not interested in a health club as I am in tennis. And I do know about the Nicollet Tennis Center (Read-Sweatt). Is there anywhere else I should be looking? Thanks.

Joe, just got back from Nicollet Tennis Center. Nice courts with bubble. Thursday night at 8.00, 4.0 clinic was held. 5.0 league start at 9pm.

Gilly1998
11-03-2005, 09:17 PM
A guy named Bruce Gullikson has a good drill on thursday nights at northwest athletic club in Bloomington. (4.5 players) Bruce is a great guy and can get you plugged into the tennis scene.

Joe Average
11-03-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Penang. I was there several weeks ago, on a Sunday morning. But nothing was going on ... and I had to jet ... literally. I'm in the Twins Cities for two days, and I spend a chunk of it driving around, checking out tennis clubs. I guess that's devotion to the sport. And, thanks bluegrasser, Gilly (Gullickson seems to be a good name for a tennis coach). I'll check out the Northwest clubs as well. They seem to be spread all over Minneapolis. None in St. Paul, curiously.

MTXR
11-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Where can i join for 65 dollars for the season? I want to play during the winter, but everything seems to expensive for me.

Poor Student here.

JackD
11-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey Joe, try fort snelling if your looking to save money its in Saint Paul. You pay like 30 bucks a year for membership then just court time after that. The courts are nicer then Read Sweat by far. Baseline (U of M) is also cheap, courts play slow and are maroon and gold (ugly). Lilydale is also pretty close to downtown St Paul as is Oakdale up by 3M. There is St Paul indoor also cheap but not great courts. Northwest has lots of options but none in st paul.

bluegrasser
11-20-2005, 05:15 PM
Nicolett Tennis Ctr is $65 for the season, I think the # is (612) 825 - 6844

AbLincoln
11-20-2005, 05:47 PM
Any good tournaments (singles or doubles) coming up? I will drive up. Thanks

Joe Average
11-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Thanks Jack. I will check out Fort Snelling. I looked at their website, but it wasn't very informative. And I had planned on checking out St. Paul Indoor, but I got caught up in something called the Notre Dame/USC football game and never made it out of my hotel room that afternoon. Great game, though. And I agree about Baseline's school color courts. They could be a little distracting.

It should be noted that the Twin Cities have more public courts than any city in the country. Something I read. Too bad you can only use them like 5 months out of the year.

MTXR
11-30-2005, 10:55 PM
Has anyone participated in the Inner City Tennis Saturday program...? I heard its free. And its at the Nicollet tennis center..

bluegrasser
12-01-2005, 04:51 AM
They do have some free programs for the Inner Cty, but I'd call them and inquire.

nirib001
08-24-2006, 08:09 PM

yah you can go to fort snelling or baseline tennis center where the gophers practice like u said or nicollet or northwest athletic club or augsberg

Bryant
08-24-2006, 08:52 PM
Northwest was bought by Lifetime...now its fudging expensive. Check http://www.lifetimefitness.com/ for prices.