PDA

View Full Version : Pure Storm Limited Lead Placement

Huzzah
01-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Hey guys I've had a PSLTD in my bag for quite some time. Like Spencer said in his review of the racquet I have a love/hate relationship with it, meaning I love the stick when I have time to line up my shot but struggle finding the sweetspot and power when on the run. I was wondering if anyone has any lead tape experience with this stick that could help me create a little larger sweetspot? How many grams, location, ect.

TaihtDuhShaat
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
4-5g at 12 oclock really powers up that frame.

Since the ltd is so flexy and low SW, the upper stringbed has a power drop off. Adding lead at the tip fixes this, and you'll feel the sweet spot open up.

subz
01-18-2012, 08:17 PM
That is one low powered stick :/ Not sure if you can make the sweet spot bigger with lead tape; from what I have read, you can only move the sweet spot e.g. adding lead tape to 2 and 10 o´clock will move the sweet spot up. Adding lead to 6 will move it down towards the handle. But I am not 100% sure on this. Since it is a very low powered racquet, I would recommend adding some lead to 12 o clock to increase the power. In the older PSL, Babolat had even marked the 12 o'clock area for lead tape.

Bartelby
01-18-2012, 08:18 PM
2 grams at 12 and 3 grams between 3 and 9 would be my recommendation.

That would give you at least 12 extra swingweight points and you could counterbalance with 2 grams just inside the butt cap.

And tinker from there.

KenC
01-18-2012, 11:02 PM
I've been using this racquet for over 2 years now. The nice thing about this racquet is it helps the player learn how to put body mass behind the shot. I used the racquet stock for 18 months and was able to really pound the ball because I knew I had to step into my shots. Just recently I started adding a little weight to see if I can eak out a little more power. So, I suggest to all who use this racquet to use it stock in the beginning and let your arm and body deliver power.

The differences in power between this and say the Pure Storm Tour aren't that great. If you take a PSLGT and put in a good multi and string it on the lower side you get a good boost of power while not sacrificing much control at all. This is my first suggestion for getting more power out of the PSLGT.

Lately I am experimenting with a little lead to see if it helps me. I have two racquets with 3 grams at 12 and two with 6 grams divided between 9 and 3. 3 grams at 12 does bring up the swingweight some and can help to hit a little harder. 6 grams at 9 and 3 has about the same SW as 3 grams at 12 and is a little more stable on off center hits, but the static weight plus the SW increase starts to be noticeable, especially if you play two or more hours.

I am not sure if the lead has an overall benefit. On one hand I like the whippyness of the PSLGT stock and can generate all the power I need with it stock. On the other hand, hitting harder is always better if you can still control the ball and keep in in court. Also, the added lead seems to have a negative effect on the serve and it is on the serve that I really notice the added weight and SW.

So, there are my recommendations. I wouldn't go too crazy with a lot of weight. If you need more power than 3 or 6 grams can give you might want to look at the PST instead. That stock has all the power anyone needs.

morten
01-19-2012, 12:53 AM
some at 2 and 10 worked best for me..

Huzzah
01-19-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think new strings will be a big help. Like I said I have had it in my bag awhile not being my main stick the the string is a little bit dead right now (Wilson enduro pro 16L at 57.) I think I will try a poly and multi strung lower.

How's the control with the pure storm tour? I like so many things about the Limited but at times I feel like the lack of power lets me down at times.

Fuji
01-19-2012, 08:18 AM
I played with it for most of my summer season for singles, and I found the best results with 2 grams @ 6, and 2 grams @ 10/2!

It left the racket still feeling soft, but gave it a bit more crispness whenever I caught it outside the string bed. Not once with this set up did I ever feel a shot "die" before it got over. :)

I strung with PHT/PSGT at 50/48 if I remember correctly, it's a Very nice set up for it!

-Fuji

TimothyO
01-19-2012, 08:22 AM
My wife is currently using my Pre-GT Pure Storm 98" but her standard before that was a PSLGT with ~4g at 12 strung with gut mains and poly crosses.

InfCross
01-19-2012, 09:54 AM
If u can affort it, gut mains and poly crosses will definitely solve ur problems, it would enlarge the sweetspot and give u more power.
If not, maybe u should consider moving to the PSTGT, 2009 model is cheaper.
I play with a PSTGT stock and it has all the power I need.