PDA

View Full Version : Dumb but curious

Jim Gregory
01-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Naive about tennis, watched a lot of it, though.

Don't appreciate the 'let' rule on serve- it doesn't apply in play so why on serve? Would the game be more entertaining without the boring delay(s) while the server goes thru his/her routine of fixing a wedgie, adjusting the shirt, re-tossing the ball, 14 bounces, etc, etc only to clip the net again?
Let (no pun) the game flow; it will even out for both players. Any support?

Apologies if this has been asked before, new to site.

Kurte954
01-19-2012, 07:01 AM
The Net on Serve rule, I think, is to make it fair for both players. The serve is so fast compared to all other shots and has to travel a shorter distance. A ton of different things can happen. The ball could "tick" the net without it's trajectory or pace being affected very much. The ball could hit the net, pop up and leave a "t-ball" set up inside the service box for the returning player to hit an extremely aggressive shot (likely a winner). Or the ball could have it's pace and trajectory altered in a way that would take the returner by such surprise they would be unable to return the ball.

The delay can be bothersome, but I think the rule is good.

Andreas1965
01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
If I had to change one single rule in tennis, I would forbid toweling between points. That'll be enough to make the game more fluent.

Jim Gregory
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
Agreed, fairness to both players- but, if that's the case why not play the point again whenever there's a net cord? The serve (don't know, but suspect) is not always the fastest ball- how about the smash or volley? Many times an 'ace' is disallowed when the tiniest flick of the net causes no deflection at all... I'm not sure the rule is all that fair.

In cricket, the rule that when the stumps are thrown down, the batsmen can take a run is another irrational one- the fielder is penalised for his accuracy! A bit like the server in the case above?

Jim Gregory
01-19-2012, 10:29 AM
It might be good to limit ball bounces to say, 5 max, also!

Girl grunting/ shrieking should be rewarded though, on pitch and volume. Men should adopt it if it so helpful...