PDA

View Full Version : Racquet lead tape question

SilverRhythm
01-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Hi guys,

I've got a question regarding racquet modification I was hoping someone could help me with. I'm currently trying to modify my AG 4D 300 by adding lead tape to the head and handle.

Like most racquets I reckon, when you remove the butt cap of the AG, you see two hollow compartment separated by a wall. As there are nails in the way, I hung the strip of lead in the middle over the wall with some cotton wool to prevent it from moving and so it'll be easier to remove the lead in future if required.

Hence my question, is my way of placing the lead in the grip alright? In terms of optimizing the weight provided by the lead tape. Because my friend told me it would be better to stick the lead on the inner walls of the grip rather than let it hang in the hollow of the grip, as I won't be optimizing the mass of the lead used. Appreciate any help and thanks in advance.

in_ten_city
01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I have two AG 300s highly customized with 36 grams of lead on each. The way i did it was I rolled up two balls of lead tape to fit into each tube. But before putting them there I stuffed two halfs of a cotton ball down each tube, then I put the lead ball which i wrapped in tissue paper, then another half cotton ball which lies above each tube and then i stuffed the cap back on. Each step I did because of trial and error with earlier experiments. The result now is absolutely no moving around of the lead, but, one time the cap came off when I mishit a ball. Sorry about the really bad sentence structure, i feel really tired.

SilverRhythm
01-19-2012, 12:57 AM
I have two AG 300s highly customized with 36 grams of lead on each. The way i did it was I rolled up two balls of lead tape to fit into each tube. But before putting them there I stuffed two halfs of a cotton ball down each tube, then I put the lead ball which i wrapped in tissue paper, then another half cotton ball which lies above each tube and then i stuffed the cap back on. Each step I did because of trial and error with earlier experiments. The result now is absolutely no moving around of the lead, but, one time the cap came off when I mishit a ball. Sorry about the really bad sentence structure, i feel really tired.

Thanks for the reply, my concern is not about whether the lead moves at the moment as I've yet to hit with the racquets after they've been modified. But rather, is there a difference in say just placing the lead in the grip as opposed to sticking it on the handle itself. I hope that sounded right.

But moving of the tape in the handle is something I'll have to take note eventually too, so thanks.

in_ten_city
01-19-2012, 08:57 AM
I have done both. I forget how many grams I put where now, but a put about a 3:2 ratio of lead in the buttcap and then on the grip half way up the grip. This way makes the weight feel better distributed.