PDA

View Full Version : Two Different Serves

Chyeaah
01-19-2012, 02:22 AM
So I've been thinking, tennis is about pace, and if you learn 2 different serve motions. Roddick's fast motion serve and Djokovic slow motion serve you could change the pace of the game all you want when your serving.

A way to implement this is eg. Your service game, its 30-40 he knows your serve has a fast motion and is ready for it, he has had enough time to adapt so he knows when to split step, you then implement the slow motion serve 1.5 seconds slower than usual and screw up his timing completely.

arche3
01-19-2012, 03:46 AM
I kind of thought the same thing. I taught my 10 year old son the roddick motion. I had to learn it first myself. I serve platform with traditional motion. I think the roddick motion is simpler so I learned it and taught it to my son. I had not changed it up in my games yet. I have thought about it though.

Chyeaah
01-19-2012, 04:33 AM
A better approach is to start off with the slow serve and every once in a while do a really face roddick serve that catches them offguard and give you an ace/ unforced error.

rkelley
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
I have enough trouble with one motion. I'd probably injure myself if I tried to use two.

user92626
01-19-2012, 09:19 AM
This idea does not work because it's harder than and redundant to having one service motion. Serve is about pace and placement and any pro could already achieve both with their one serve style and motion which is much easier to hone over time.

zcarzach
01-19-2012, 09:38 AM
I do this sometimes. I really enjoy the McEnroe style service motion, so I'll toss one of these in every now and then, just to mix up the motion. You can really disguise the serve with that motion; placement can easily be changed just by rotating your body, which also gives crazy spin. Kind of fun!

mucat
01-19-2012, 09:43 AM
So I've been thinking, tennis is about pace, and if you learn 2 different serve motions. Roddick's fast motion serve and Djokovic slow motion serve you could change the pace of the game all you want when your serving.

A way to implement this is eg. Your service game, its 30-40 he knows your serve has a fast motion and is ready for it, he has had enough time to adapt so he knows when to split step, you then implement the slow motion serve 1.5 seconds slower than usual and screw up his timing completely.

You will probably screw up your own timing instead.

LeeD
01-19-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm with the naysayers.
We cannot seem to learn ONE motion even after 20 years of trying, because we cannot spend enough time just serving to figure it out. Now TWO motions, would take longer than twice a long to implement with success.
I say, have your normal flat serve up the middle. Vary it to the corners either side.
Then have your topspin serves up the middle and to either side.
Then have on twist serve throw into the mix.
That's enough variety for first serves.

charliefedererer
01-19-2012, 12:19 PM
The receiver's split step is timed to when the ball is struck by the server, so they are moving up out of their split step in the direction of the ball as soon as the direction has recognized [from the direction of the swing and the first couple of feet of movement of the ball].
Tennis Footwork Split Step Lesson, 1 of 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2xAK9p2hIM&feature=player_embedded
Tennis Footwork, Split Step Lesson 2 of 3: Timing http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jtWMP75377k#!

It takes the same amount of time for the ball to rise after release of the toss, and then to fall into hitting position, for Roddick and Djokovic. And the height of their toss is not that much different.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4080/4950152503_cb4a1a392b.jpg

http://www.acclaimimages.com/_gallery/_images_n300/0008-0806-0523-4523_novak_djokovic_serving_at_2008_french_open.jp g

So your plan may work right now against some opponents.

Just don't count on it working against most opponents, either now, or especially in the future if your level of play improves.

[Too bad about Andy having to pull out of the AO from injury.]