PDA

View Full Version : How long before Shot Spot calls faults instantly?

NE1for10is?
01-19-2012, 04:21 AM
How long before Shot Spot calls faults instantly without the need for line judges?

Kurte954
01-19-2012, 06:50 AM
I doubt that will ever happen. Line judges vs Hawk eye make for good drama and the fans love the Hawk Eye challenge. Without lines people, there would be no challenge and the game would lose something, in my opinion.

angharad
01-19-2012, 07:02 AM
They could have instituted automatic line calling with technology widely available before Shot Spot, and didn't. I think Shot Spot is more to appease contentious calls than it is to replace the linespeople.

ollinger
01-19-2012, 07:20 AM
The technology is there to do it now but there's no will to do it. Baseball has had the technology for a few years to have balls and strikes called instantly and automatically but again the sport prefers not to eliminate some traditional aspects.

ChipNCharge
01-19-2012, 07:47 AM
How long before Shot Spot calls faults instantly without the need for line judges?

Cyclops was used for instant calls on the service line for a long time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclops_(computer_system)

Anton
01-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Line judges vs Hawk eye make for good drama and the fans love the Hawk Eye challenge.

Drama at cost of accuracy?

Reminds me of gardening with nail clippers. There is better way to do it but it's shooo kool.

jswinf
01-19-2012, 10:53 AM
I'd like it to call a shot out before it's hit, that would save a lot of time.

Kurte954
01-20-2012, 06:32 AM
Drama at cost of accuracy?

Reminds me of gardening with nail clippers. There is better way to do it but it's shooo kool.

I wish I could reference them, but the stats I've seen when watching matches show that the line judges are right a lot of the time. Remember, each event has requirements for line judges. They don't just grab people randomly.

When you consider how many matches are played at a slam, with how many line calls made for each match, the accuracy rate is well within an acceptable range.

El Diablo
01-20-2012, 08:14 AM
^^ you miss the point. Nobody doubts that the judges "are right alot of the time" but that can be improved upon, so why not. Anyone who saw the famous US Open down-the-line call in Serena's match some years ago knows line calls can be astoundingly bad at times.

sureshs
01-20-2012, 10:03 AM
We need to break-up the umpires and line judges unions and go with free enterprise.

r2473
01-20-2012, 10:10 AM
We need to break-up the umpires and line judges unions and go with free enterprise.

Imagine if they really had to pay union dues out of the princely sum they earn:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-08/four-u-s-open-umpires-sue-u-s-tennis-association-claiming-overtime-pay.html

According to the umpires, pay for last year’s Open ranged from $115 a day for USTA sectional or provisional umpires in qualifying matches to $200 a day for gold-badge chair umpires in main-draw matches. Umpires often worked more than eight hours a day, seven days a week, depending on the length of matches and weather delays, they said.

Irvin
01-20-2012, 11:05 AM

Never I hope. As soon as they do that all the players will start arguing about the integrity of the line calls and have them turn the system off and it will go the way of Cyclops.

sureshs
01-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Imagine if they really had to pay union dues out of the princely sum they earn:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-09-08/four-u-s-open-umpires-sue-u-s-tennis-association-claiming-overtime-pay.html

According to the umpires, pay for last year’s Open ranged from $115 a day for USTA sectional or provisional umpires in qualifying matches to $200 a day for gold-badge chair umpires in main-draw matches. Umpires often worked more than eight hours a day, seven days a week, depending on the length of matches and weather delays, they said.

These umpires will bankrupt the tournaments with their exorbitant demands

pennc94
01-20-2012, 02:48 PM
Never I hope. As soon as they do that all the players will start arguing about the integrity of the line calls and have them turn the system off and it will go the way of Cyclops.

Players seem to accept the technology now, so why would they start to dispute it if it made all calls?

I think the current technology is vastly improved over Cyclops. I seem to recall the Cyclops had its limitations.

I think the current technology (and its improvements over time) should be used for all calls. A chair umpire can remain to resolve other disputes. It is just ridiculous to make players decide about challenging if the "truth" is known. They should be focused on the tennis.

West Coast Ace
01-20-2012, 04:50 PM
I'd like it to call a shot out before it's hit, that would save a lot of time.Like Pre Crime in 'Minority Report' - we'd know how the match was going to play out - could fast forward through the boring ones.

I think some 'old people' in the various tennis federations around the world have to die and be replaced by younger people who aren't tied to Legacy and Tradition. Then the system will be implemented totally.

jswinf
01-21-2012, 01:07 PM
I think some 'old people' in the various tennis federations around the world have to die ...

You're not planning anything, I hope. :shock:

Ducker
01-21-2012, 02:32 PM
You guys want to eliminate more JOBS? Ok lets all be unemployed.

IDIOTS....

These are good jobs and you want to get rid of them all WOW.

Anton
01-21-2012, 05:05 PM
You guys want to eliminate more JOBS? Ok lets all be unemployed.

IDIOTS....

These are good jobs and you want to get rid of them all WOW.

Yes - we want to eliminate more useless manual labor jobs and make more high tech jobs that produce superior product.

And why why is the dumbest ones are also the first ones to call people idiots?