PDA

View Full Version : Arm Fatigue - how much to reduce swingweight?

timmeh
01-19-2012, 05:18 AM
I am currently finding it hard to manouver my racquet and so volleys and rushed shots are very hard for me. After a couple of hours playing, my arm also tires. My racquet is the Youtek Speed MP, which has a SW of 322.

I hit with lots of topspin and alot of wrist, akin to Fernando Verdasco (terrible role model, I know).

So I was wondering, how much should I reduce my SW? Would a SW of 310 be a significant decrease? I was looking at buying the Pure Drive GT Lite (SW 309) or the YOUTEK IG Instinct (303 SW).

BobFL
01-19-2012, 06:00 AM
322 to 310 is a huge drop. You will feel it immediately. Is SW 322 an actual measurement or from the TW's specs?

un6a
01-19-2012, 06:06 AM
^^ Agree 10 SW difference should be very noticable

Andreas1965
01-19-2012, 06:53 AM
If you're playing well with your Speed, why try to change? What about working on your athletical skills? Go to the gym!

grass_hopper
01-19-2012, 08:11 AM
try a racquet in 315 to 319 range. too head light(300 to 310) range and you will lose a lot of power on serve and net.

LeeD
01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
I went from 340 to 300 g weight rackets last year.
Yes, the reflex volleys are weaker, but offset by the fact you have more time to swing forwards with the lighter racket.
Groundies are certainly weaker, offset by the fact you can swing faster more often.
Serves can be as fast at times, and sometimes slower with mishits. The variety doesn't seem a major deficit, a oftentimes, mishit slower serves can provide more losers from the opponent.
Returns of serves are weaker, but once again, the lighter racket allows a quicker and longer back and swing.
Overheads seem little difference.
Don't overswing, which can possibly throw out your arm or shoulder.
Lighter rackets can tend to be stiffer, so don't overswing.
Lighter rackets also tend to be more powerful, giving back something you lost in the switch to lighter rackets.

timmeh
01-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Thankyou for the responses.

All the SW's mentioned are the TW specs.

As for getting more athletic: call me lazy but I would rather buy a racquet that suits me than try to change myself to suit the racquet.

I understand there will be a loss of power with the lower SW but hopefully it is offset by faster swing speed and better timing with a racquet I can manouver better.

Any racquet suggestions apart from the 2 I mentioned? I will be demoing a few.

LeeD
01-19-2012, 02:35 PM
Hard to beat TW's Dunlop pricing.
I use the Aero500's, have seen little in the way of improvement if I"m doing my part. My part doesn't include beating 5.0 players.

Andreas1965
01-20-2012, 01:25 AM
As for getting more athletic: call me lazy but I would rather buy a racquet that suits me than try to change myself to suit the racquet.

Working out, improving fitness and strength will help you any way, no matter which racquet you are using.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.453087,7.005440

un6a
01-20-2012, 01:30 AM

You are not alone, i would too never waste my preciouys time in the gym, when i can just get racquet which suits me more.

IG Instinct you mentioned is good choice. I would also try Dunlop Bio 400 Tour and maybe Dunlop 500 Tour, and IG speed 300.

TennisCJC
01-20-2012, 09:08 AM
Thankyou for the responses.

All the SW's mentioned are the TW specs.

I understand there will be a loss of power with the lower SW but hopefully it is offset by faster swing speed and better timing with a racquet I can manouver better.

Try a dunlop bio 300 and a volkl org 10 295. You can add a touch of lead to the head of either for a bit more pop/stability. Both are excellent quality. Volkl is my fav with dunlop a close 2nd. More precision/control with the volkl and maybe a touch more power with the dunlop due to longer main strings.

Also, the new wilson blx prostaff 95 is a solid low weight racket in stock form. I personally think it needs head weight to make it better but it might be worth a demo.