PDA

View Full Version : BLX Blade Tour. That bad?

Fedchamp
01-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Is this frame as bad as a lot of people say? I liked the K Blade but thought it was a bit too stiff. I'm interested in the BLX because apparently it has a more buttery feel and is slightly heavier.

tarkowski
01-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Is this frame as bad as a lot of people say? I liked the K Blade but thought it was a bit too stiff. I'm interested in the BLX because apparently it has a more buttery feel and is slightly heavier.

The BLX Blade Tour has a stiffer, more jarring feel than the K. I was surprised by this, given that it has more mass and SW which I expected to translate to a more buttery feel. The BLX Blade Tour is about as anti-buttery as it gets. If you want a more buttery feel, I'd take a version of the Dunlop 200 or Prestige Mid out for a spin.

Due to the increased mass, the BLX has a higher twist weight and bigger swing weight and hits a bigger ball. I think in one of my prior posts I noted I preferred the BlX to the K due to this, but perhaps adding lead to the K would ultimately be my preference because I do like the feel of the K version better.

Given the choice of either, I'd opt out and get a 6.1 95 18x20 which I find provides just as much control but has better comfort and power.

Fedchamp
01-19-2012, 04:16 PM
The BLX Blade Tour has a stiffer, more jarring feel than the K. I was surprised by this, given that it has more mass and SW which I expected to translate to a more buttery feel. The BLX Blade Tour is about as anti-buttery as it gets. If you want a more buttery feel, I'd take a version of the Dunlop 200 or Prestige Mid out for a spin.

Due to the increased mass, the BLX has a higher twist weight and bigger swing weight and hits a bigger ball. I think in one of my prior posts I noted I preferred the BlX to the K due to this, but perhaps adding lead to the K would ultimately be my preference because I do like the feel of the K version better.

Given the choice of either, I'd opt out and get a 6.1 95 18x20 which I find provides just as much control but has better comfort and power.

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, your comments seem to contradict what most of the opinion is for this frame. Most people say it is buttery, but too "muted". I am also interested in the New IG Prestige too.

tarkowski
01-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your reply. Yeah, your comments seem to contradict what most of the opinion is for this frame. Most people say it is buttery, but too "muted". I am also interested in the New IG Prestige too.

Hey FedChamp,

I would take a look at the Youtube videos for this frame. Both TW and tennis express posted one and both agreed the frame is much stiffer than expected. There is follow up conversation on both the videos that seem to validate this as well.

I must admit I haven't read much on the BLX Blade Tour on the TW threads. I think I contributed to one thread where I had fondness for the SW and mass of the racket, but at the same time, felt the frame was just a bit jarring. And mine was strung with VS Team at 53 lbs, so it can only get stiffer from that starting point.

I've played older versions of the the Dunlop and Prestiges and feel that the 200 Tour and the Prestige (Mid) are very buttery-feeling frames. So is the Pro Kennex Black Ace 93 as well as the Volkl PowerBridge 10 Mid. All of those seem like good choices coming from your KBlade 93 and knowing you want to move in a bit softer direction. Of those, the Black Ace 93 seems closest in static weight and swing weight. It's a great feeling frame.

Compared to the K, the BLX is definitely more muted feeling, which I don't perceive as the opposite of 'harsh', but the opposite of 'crisp'. I think the BLX Blade is more muted and more harsh (jarring) than it's K counterpart. I think the BLX 6.1 is more muted than the K 6.1 but no more or equally harsh. The K 6.1 is more crisp. This is obviously my opinion and everyone experiences this differently.

Please let us know what you do!

Fedchamp
01-20-2012, 11:32 PM
Hey FedChamp,

I would take a look at the Youtube videos for this frame. Both TW and tennis express posted one and both agreed the frame is much stiffer than expected. There is follow up conversation on both the videos that seem to validate this as well.

I must admit I haven't read much on the BLX Blade Tour on the TW threads. I think I contributed to one thread where I had fondness for the SW and mass of the racket, but at the same time, felt the frame was just a bit jarring. And mine was strung with VS Team at 53 lbs, so it can only get stiffer from that starting point.

I've played older versions of the the Dunlop and Prestiges and feel that the 200 Tour and the Prestige (Mid) are very buttery-feeling frames. So is the Pro Kennex Black Ace 93 as well as the Volkl PowerBridge 10 Mid. All of those seem like good choices coming from your KBlade 93 and knowing you want to move in a bit softer direction. Of those, the Black Ace 93 seems closest in static weight and swing weight. It's a great feeling frame.

Compared to the K, the BLX is definitely more muted feeling, which I don't perceive as the opposite of 'harsh', but the opposite of 'crisp'. I think the BLX Blade is more muted and more harsh (jarring) than it's K counterpart. I think the BLX 6.1 is more muted than the K 6.1 but no more or equally harsh. The K 6.1 is more crisp. This is obviously my opinion and everyone experiences this differently.

Please let us know what you do!

Thanks. Will do.
I got the BLX Blade 98 because of the glowing review at TW, but I hate it. Too stiff and light for me. It has too much of that "pingy" feeling on contact. So I guess I'm looking for the opposite of that.

frunk
01-21-2012, 01:09 AM
I never liked the BLX version of the Blade tour. The kFactor version had a 'crispness' which was absent in the BLX.

ntinos1972
01-21-2012, 04:20 AM
n-blade was the best.after that k-blade tour i think is one of the best rackets that wilson made.

Arthuro
01-21-2012, 07:40 AM
I have to agree. If you want a good Wilson racquet the K blade tour is the way to go. It is superior to any of the BLX racquets currently in production, especially in the blade series.