PDA

View Full Version : Having multiple grips?

Fedexpress94
01-20-2012, 07:32 AM
I normally use a strong eastern grip but I have trouble hitting high balls on my forehand. So I was thinking it would be easier if I used a weak SW for high forehands instead. I haven't tried it yet seeing as it is winter but is that that dramatic of a swing change? Can I alternate grips during points or should I just stick to one?

rkelley
01-20-2012, 07:49 AM
I use a strong E. grip (on my fh). I use it for high balls too. On high balls I set-up a bit more open and I hit more across the back of the ball imparting some side spin along with the topspin.

skiracer55
01-20-2012, 11:44 AM
...with these caveats:

- I'm not sure what you mean by a "weak SW", but you don't want any kind of a grip to be weak. If you mean "soft of but not quite SW", that's probably not going to work either. Go with a clean SW grip and see what happens.

- A specific grip does not automatically equate to a given stroke path...but it's usually the most efficient and ergonomic way to do things. An Eastern grip swing is usually fairly flat, a SW or FW grip usually works best with more loop...how much more is up to you.

- If you have good hands (and quick feet), there's no reason why you can't use more than one grip effectively. I generally use an SW grip with a moderate loop, but if I want lots of top, I'll go to a FW and add more loop. I can also hit fairly flat from a SW, and, sometimes for approach shots, I'll go with a Conti slice shot.

- The best way to deal with high balls is don't let 'em get up in the stratosphere. Take a short backswing, step in, and take them on the rise...

LeeD
01-20-2012, 11:49 AM
With a strong E, you can always lean forwards, pronate on the middle of the swing, and that forces the rackeface to close while you're swinging upwards at the high ball.
This doesn't apply as much if you wait for an overhead to hit, but looking at the top pros, they just lean in and pronate even for balls over their heads.

rkelley
01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
With a strong E, you can always lean forwards, pronate on the middle of the swing, and that forces the rackeface to close while you're swinging upwards at the high ball.
This doesn't apply as much if you wait for an overhead to hit, but looking at the top pros, they just lean in and pronate even for balls over their heads.

This is a good description of what I do, except that when the ball is shoulder or head height the pronation really means that my racquet face is coming across the ball right to left quite a bit (I'm a rightie). It's actually a good thing because the bounce on the other side tends to kick away from your opponent's bh (again assuming a rightie) and the exact amount differs depending on how high the ball was when you hit it. It ads another dimension of nastiness to your shots.

BTW this coming across the ball on high balls is not grip specific. You can get than with anything from an E. to a W. and all point in between. It's a swing path thing.

01-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Changing grips around works very well for me, but I can remember back in the day where adjusting a grip seemed like a big deal.
I do it without a thought now.

LeeD
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
My problems stems from the fact I have a continental first serve, volley, and overhead grip, first and foremost.
Forehands, ONE strong SW grip.
Slice backhand defensive, conti with easternFOREhand twist, for late contact, body closed, heavy slow skidding spin.
Slice backhand, offensive, ebh, moving the ball pretty fast, low hard skid.
Topspin backhand, a stronger ebh grip, at least stronger than the above.
Twist and heavy kick serves, conti with slight twist to ebh.
That's PLENTY of grips right there. No need to add more strength to forerhand for high balls, less strength for low balls.

drkplayer122
01-20-2012, 11:14 PM
My problems stems from the fact I have a continental first serve, volley, and overhead grip, first and foremost.
Forehands, ONE strong SW grip.
Slice backhand defensive, conti with easternFOREhand twist, for late contact, body closed, heavy slow skidding spin.
Slice backhand, offensive, ebh, moving the ball pretty fast, low hard skid.
Topspin backhand, a stronger ebh grip, at least stronger than the above.
Twist and heavy kick serves, conti with slight twist to ebh.
That's PLENTY of grips right there. No need to add more strength to forerhand for high balls, less strength for low balls.

OMG! I pretty much the exact same grips as you except my kick serve is still conti. =)