PDA

View Full Version : Robert Lansdorp on Pressure

SFrazeur
01-20-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CZ5MF1Vm00

-SF

tennis_balla
01-20-2012, 09:18 AM
Good video. The beginning when he talks about people avoiding pressure, its right up there with kids getting participation trophies so no one gets hurt or feels bad.

Limpinhitter
01-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Good video. The beginning when he talks about people avoiding pressure, its right up there with kids getting participation trophies so no one gets hurt or feels bad.

I think what he was saying is tht it's important to also practice against players you should beat because the pressure is on you, as the better player, to win.

I think everyone has had the experience of playing better against a superior player because there is no pressure on you to win. I don't see that quite the same as a "participation trophy." If you win, you earned it (perhaps in part because the better player was under pressure to win), and if you loose, you got your butt kicked.

tennis_balla
01-20-2012, 10:03 AM
I think what he was saying is tht it's important to also practice against players you should beat because the pressure is on you, as the better player, to win.

I think everyone has had the experience of playing better against a superior player because there is no pressure on you to win. I don't see that quite the same as a "participation trophy." If you win, you earned it (perhaps in part because the better player was under pressure to win), and if you loose, you got your butt kicked.

He stated, and I quote: "There is an attitude in this country to avoid pressure, that you shouldn't have pressure, every kid should be brought forward."

rkelley
01-20-2012, 10:30 AM

It depends on the situation. If it's smaller kids then the emphasis should be on having fun, everyone participates, everyone gets a little prize, etc. A bunch of pressure is inappropriate for a seven year old. At some point though it becomes appropriate to say that things are going to get a bit more serious, and winning does matter, and there's going to be more pressure. It's not fair to the kids who are taking the sport seriously to make room for someone who still just wants to only have fun, and it's not going to be the reality as they go forward.

Hopefully the parents are guiding their child in these decisions, helping the kid understand benefits and sacrifices, looking at the kid's temperment, etc. Tennis especially can be a lonely sport. The mental part is huge because there's no one there to build you up when you get down on yourself during a tense game.

rkelley
01-20-2012, 10:36 AM

I think everyone has had the experience of playing better against a superior player because there is no pressure on you to win. [snip]

This is my experience. When you have nothing to lose you get loose, you focus on hitting, and good things often happen. You might still lose, but you often play well. When you're supposed to win you think about winning, losing, choking, and many other things that have nothing to do with actually hitting the ball that's coming toward you.

01-20-2012, 10:37 AM
IMO these are the type areas RL excelled in much more than what he did with technique. Seems he really helped to build players with the ability to dig deep when things got tough.

BU-Tennis
01-20-2012, 12:20 PM
IMO these are the type areas RL excelled in much more than what he did with technique. Seems he really helped to build players with the ability to dig deep when things got tough.

I agree with you except when talking about Lindsay Davenport. She had some of the best technique, very clean strokes and great ability to manipulate the ball, but she had a tendency to choke during some bigger matches.

01-20-2012, 12:23 PM
I agree with you except when talking about Lindsay Davenport. She had some of the best technique, very clean strokes and great ability to manipulate the ball, but she had a tendency to choke during some bigger matches.

Yep, but she pulled out a couple too, lol.

stormholloway
01-20-2012, 01:19 PM

I didn't gather this from watching the video at all.

What he says makes perfect sense. People have this idea that players will develop if the player across the net is better. It seems logical, but it isn't. Just because the player across the net is 'better' doesn't mean the challenge is greater. The greater challenge is in overcoming the pressure to beat a player that should never beat you.

I find it much harder to play guys beneath me. I'm much more worried about losing to them whereas with greater players losing doesn't even occur to me. I just think about winning.

Limpinhitter
01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
I didn't gather this from watching the video at all.

What he says makes perfect sense. People have this idea that players will develop if the player across the net is better. It seems logical, but it isn't. Just because the player across the net is 'better' doesn't mean the challenge is greater. The greater challenge is in overcoming the pressure to beat a player that should never beat you.

I find it much harder to play guys beneath me. I'm much more worried about losing to them whereas with greater players losing doesn't even occur to me. I just think about winning.

That's the point I thought he was making.

kiteboard
01-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Rl was a bully. But he got results and brought them to their limits. My kind of guy as a coach. No bs from parents, or the kids taken by him! It takes a punk to make a punk.

01-21-2012, 08:29 AM
Rl was a bully. But he got results and brought them to their limits. No bs from parents, or the kids taken by him!

Pretty close to my take on him as well.

tennis_balla
01-21-2012, 08:38 AM
Love him or hate him he produces, and thats what matters most really.

01-21-2012, 08:47 AM
Love him or hate him he produces, and thats what matters most really.

Produced may be a better word. Now that the game has moved on, I don't see a continuation on his success. IMO his technical approaches have been part of what has held back the US and why we are seeing the declining results we have at the OZ open this year.

tennis_balla
01-21-2012, 10:40 AM
Sorry I meant past tense, produced. I have not seen him coach anyone recently, just coaching 10yr olds private lessons posted on Youtube.

Tim Tennis
01-21-2012, 11:06 AM
I think what RL said makes sense. Just from my perspective I hate to get beat by someone that I know or at least I think I am better then they are. If I get beat by someone who I perceive as better then I am the pain is not near as bad. I do hate it when I play someone who is better then I am and I don't even give them a decent match. Sorry Roger, LOL

IT DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU WIN OR LOSE, UNTIL YOU LOSE.

Ed
Tennis Geometrics