PDA

View Full Version : 2HBH Return Help

BU-Tennis
01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I am just now getting back into playing more competitively since i stopped playing college a few years ago, and everything seems to be coming back but I am having troubles with my Backhand return. They always seem to clip the tape. I have shortened my backswing and I am stepping into the court, but I'm not sure if I should be brushing up the back more or driving through more.

Any tips?

LeeD
01-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Longer, fuller FOLLOWTHRU, as in golf, gives you a consistent forward swing so you can adjust whatever backswing or face angle you need.
If you tend to just punch at the ball, any one of over 6 variables come into play, so it's hard to isolate exactly WHAT is the problem.
Aim higher is No1, of course.

Limpinhitter
01-20-2012, 07:06 PM
I am just now getting back into playing more competitively since i stopped playing college a few years ago, and everything seems to be coming back but I am having troubles with my Backhand return. They always seem to clip the tape. I have shortened my backswing and I am stepping into the court, but I'm not sure if I should be brushing up the back more or driving through more.

Any tips?

You may be lunging and/or leaning forward trying to going after the ball. If so, try keeping your weight over your feet and let the ball come to you. It's ok to step forward into the return, but, keep your spine and weight straight up.

LeeD
01-20-2012, 07:13 PM
Consistent posture is one major key to consistent hitting. It's height control.
And brushing upwards more adds more topspin, so the ball dips into the net more.
Driving thru, with a flatter swingplane, usually raises the ball height at the net.
Aim higher, when it starts to go long, add spin.

Fearsome Forehand
01-20-2012, 07:26 PM

Any tips?

Short back swing is good. Since you are clipping the tape a lot that suggests you are hitting a bit too flat.

Keep your head still and aim higher, go for depth, a small adjustment should suffice.

Flat returns are fine (preferable actually as they rob your opponent of time.) But, if they don't clear the net that is sort of a problem.:)

LeeD
01-20-2012, 07:30 PM
Aim higher...:)

BU-Tennis
01-20-2012, 08:00 PM
I think LeeD wants me to aim higher....

but I am probably going after the ball a little too much as was suggested.

I have a clinic in the morning so hopefully I can try some things out and report back how it went :)