PDA

View Full Version : Heart rate monitor

Ronaldo
02-24-2004, 05:37 PM
My 2nd Polar Pacer in the past 15 yrs is malfunctioning and rather than send it back with cash for a reconditioned unit, I am looking to upgrade. Any suggestions are welcome.

Phil
02-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Ronaldo - Sorry, don't know enough about them, but I want to ask you, as a long-term user, how much you've benefitted from using a heart rate monitor. I've read studies that say they're bogus and don't take into consideration varying fitness levels and genetics, but other studies rave about their effectiveness in workouts. What are your thoughts? I'm considering buying one. Thanks.

david aames
02-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Try to catch a rerun of sunday's 'Curb Your Enthusiasm' show. It will speak to your heart :D

Phil
02-25-2004, 05:52 PM
david aames - I asked a legit. question expecting a legit-not smarta**-response. The TV show reference went over my head because I have not seen that show.

Ronaldo
02-25-2004, 07:28 PM
The monitor helps in monitoring your resting heartrate to avoid overtraining. It really forced a slowdown in my running program. My average heartrate during a 3-6 mile run was between 160-170 bpm using 5# heavy hands. This was after playing tennis. It also taught the value of stalling during a tennis match after a hard point to lower my heartrate before the next point. It also gives you something to focus on.

Phil
02-25-2004, 08:16 PM
Thanks very much, Ronaldo.

Plawan
02-26-2004, 09:20 AM
I used the heart rate mornitor for interval training, and figure out the optimum heart rate while playing tennis (for me 155-165 bpm). I bought mine from one of the online bike stores, and I used a non-Polar brand (Polar heart rate monitor = Lux poly).