PDA

View Full Version : think i need a softer set up

monticore
01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
the racket i chose for my comeback to tennis (20 years hiatus) was the k-factor pro open, i was looking for a 100sq inch head and not to heavy to use as a reference setup. after trying a few strings i settled on head rip control 17.i hadn't really looked into stiffness etc.. since i had no form of reference or idea what the numbers meant. but after reading some this set up might be on the the stiff side for me.

the results were great , i was getting great depth and spin and seemed perfect for my game, but i started having issues with my shoulder while serving , my serve being my biggest weapon i had to start taking a lot off of it , and the pain started affecting the rest of my game.

can anybody recommend a setup that would give me similar depth and results in a more forgiving frame .i tried mantis comfort synthetic in this frame although softer my depth suffered it seemed slightly less powerful than the rip control.

older frame technology is fine as well, or even a way to modify my current rackets (?lead) to help

thanks

cory

TennisMaverick
01-20-2012, 05:10 PM
the racket i chose for my comeback to tennis (20 years hiatus) was the k-factor pro open, i was looking for a 100sq inch head and not to heavy to use as a reference setup. after trying a few strings i settled on head rip control 17.i hadn't really looked into stiffness etc.. since i had no form of reference or idea what the numbers meant. but after reading some this set up might be on the the stiff side for me.

the results were great , i was getting great depth and spin and seemed perfect for my game, but i started having issues with my shoulder while serving , my serve being my biggest weapon i had to start taking a lot off of it , and the pain started affecting the rest of my game.

can anybody recommend a setup that would give me similar depth and results in a more forgiving frame .i tried mantis comfort synthetic in this frame although softer my depth suffered it seemed slightly less powerful than the rip control.

older frame technology is fine as well, or even a way to modify my current rackets (?lead) to help

thanks

cory

There is a real good chance that a 20 year lay-off has a lot to do with the condition of your shoulder and the stresses of ripping a serve. Even if you quit in high school, and 18 year old shoulder is certainly different than a 38 year old shoulder. I would check my mechanics if I were you. It's a simple as seeing whether or not your face is parallel to the sky before contact, or holding your upper-tossing arm up as long as possible. Otherwise, your stick is very stiff, so string looser, as Rip Control is already an arm protecting string.

Teski
01-20-2012, 08:03 PM
There is a real good chance that a 20 year lay-off has a lot to do with the condition of your shoulder and the stresses of ripping a serve. Even if you quit in high school, and 18 year old shoulder is certainly different than a 38 year old shoulder. I would check my mechanics if I were you. It's a simple as seeing whether or not your face is parallel to the sky before contact, or holding your upper-tossing arm up as long as possible. Otherwise, your stick is very stiff, so string looser, as Rip Control is already an arm protecting string.

I tend to agree with TM. I took a 9 year layoff after having our two daughters and came back last Summer with a vengeance. Problem was that I was so excited to be playing again that I went out 4 days a week to either play, hit the ball machine, take a lesson, or just pound serves. What happened? Serious shoulder and elbow pain! I backed off and really worked on my form with a pro and eased back into things and my pains have pretty much gone away.

My pro was very clear that you have to ease back into it.

Steve Huff
01-20-2012, 09:47 PM
The previous posters are right, but in the meantime, here's what I would do: If it's only your shoulder (not your elbow), I would got for a slightly lighter swingweight racket. Maybe a slightly lighter static weight also. Weight seems to be good for the elbow, but bad for shoulders--especially rusty ones. Second, I'd get a more flexible frame. As TennisMav said, that's a pretty stiff racket you have. Third, I wouldn't get anything that's over 27" long. Finally, I'd probably splurge for some natural gut (at least in the mains). If that's not an option, stick with a good multifiliment string, and don't go too tight.

I use a Pro Kennex ki 5. I'm trying out a Pro Supex Dynamic Energy at the time too. The PK 5 series rackets are about the right weight for my arm, shoulder and elbow. The technology in them is solid, and the swing weight is low. It's a great racket. It's 100 sq in also. Volkl, Pacific, Head and Yonex also make some pretty arm-friendly frames in the 100 sq in range. A lot of the 100 sq in frames are just too stiff. I guess manufacturers make their smaller frames flexible, and get stiffer as the size increases.

corbind
01-21-2012, 02:27 AM
Wow that is a really stiff racquet at 70. I came back after 2 decades and, having not known anything had changed, bought a stick that had a stiffness rating of 74! Tennis elbow occured within 60 days.

Anyway, I specifically bought the Prince EXO3 Tour 100 16 x18 http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-PEX03T.html for the insane comfort having a stiffness rating of 52. I'll never go back to stiff racquets -- ever.

Couple it with natural gut and you have the best protection for your arm that I'm aware of. To get an idea or your possible technique, do you know your NTRP level? Although I've never had any shoulder injuries I've read up on them. If you're right-handed it says that (when serving) often the left arm does not drop quick enough so you end up getting a roundhouse swing with the right hand.

Since I have a good left shoulder rise and drop, I could not comprehend what it would be like without it. I went out and tried to serve the "bad way" without rising and falling left arm. My right arm took a circuitous route to hitting the ball and MAN what a bunch of stress.

So read up on rotor / rotator cuff injuries. Do you warm up before you play? I'd assumed you are near my age (mid-40's) so warmup is essential at this point.

monticore
01-21-2012, 08:55 AM
ill try and answer all the responses,

my rating , no clue , never took lessons , even when i played in highschool is was mostly vs friends 10 times a year . i joined a men's league this year and i finished ranked 6 out of 35 guys, had about 6-6 record the 5 guys above me are high school regional champ and went to provincials, other guys are instructors and retired instructor, the top 2 guys were way out of my league lost 6-0 6-0to the top guy , he did say i had a good serve but he returned then rather easily he was the only guy i didn;t ace all year , he won both local regional tourney's so as a guess having never seen myself play maybe 3.0 (located in northern ontario so competition is much slimmer)

- so it could be technique i tried staying closed?(shoulders perpendicular to the service line longer) longer as come across the body more than having the shoulder wide open(chest facing the net), seemed to reduce my power though, seemed like a bit less (lag? golf term) i asked some of the guys i played with the ones who teach about lessons and they didn;t notice anything i needed to work on other than foot work and just general strategy and court awareness tons or practice .there are probably a lot of things i need to work on (hit off my back foot alot/ late getting racket back 1hb etc..)but the results seemed ok

-i figure my age 38 , lay off, and i hadn't played baseball/badminton either for a long time and add to that my job (ultrasound tech/wirst/elbow/shoulder strain ) were the major problem .i still play hockey/golf and did p90x without any shoulder issues.

- i tried a hybrid adrenaline/mantis comfort and it aggravated my elbow so went back to rip.

i did a self ultrasound also had an MRI of my shoulder and both were negative, so doesn't seem to be any damage, my wife a family coudn't really explain the pain either, maybe buristis/tendonitis?.

so my options are not playing, playing but not serving , or finding a set up that is a bit softer and hope it fixes it so i can keep playing. since its just serving 9 especially gets painful on follow through not at contact and not on forehand or backhands, a change in in rackets might not help as it could be technique/injury/flexibility/warmup/age issue related but i wanted to try it out.

sorry for the long post

cory

Ronaldo
01-21-2012, 09:33 AM
Demo a more flexible racquet like the Dunlop 300 series or a Head Radical. Lower your tension a bit. May lose that pop and spin but save that shoulder.

monticore
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Demo a more flexible racquet like the Dunlop 300 series or a Head Radical. Lower your tension a bit. May lose that pop and spin but save that shoulder.

wouldn't a flexier racket and less tension give me more power and less control? more power i guess wound't be bad i wouldn't have to swing as hard.

cory

Ronaldo
01-21-2012, 12:37 PM
wouldn't a flexier racket and less tension give me more power and less control? more power i guess wound't be bad i wouldn't have to swing as hard.

cory

No the flex may reduce the power of your stroke. Your power gets wasted bending the racquet. Both racquets have 18 mains, stringbed will feel firmer. May need to swing harder. Just demo

Polaris
01-21-2012, 02:34 PM
I was going to suggest:
(1) Rest until the pain goes away.
(2) Physical therapy, in case it happens to be bursitis or tendonitis.
(3) A gym program to strengthen the core and general all around arm exercises.
(4) Flexier racket, and soft strings with low tension.

In reply to one of the earlier posts, a flexier racquet will give you less power and more control. Ronaldo is correct. Your Kfactor Pro is not that heavy, but its 70 flex is way too stiff. If you can afford to let up on the serving power, I suggest taking a look at something from Yonex or Pro-kennex which has flex between 50 and 60.

TennisMaverick
01-21-2012, 03:37 PM

IMPO as a coach, take a 30 min tennis lesson for your serve only.

monticore
01-21-2012, 05:41 PM
I was going to suggest:

In reply to one of the earlier posts, a flexier racquet will give you less power and more control. Ronaldo is correct. Your Kfactor Pro is not that heavy, but its 70 flex is way too stiff. If you can afford to let up on the serving power, I suggest taking a look at something from Yonex or Pro-kennex which has flex between 50 and 60.

1- i haven't had any pain since i stopped playing for the winter
2- did some massage therapy/physio neither could really explain the pain, neither really helped
3- i do some p90x and insanity core training few times a week
4- will try something new but not much selections up north so might try the TW sale forums , can ya narrow the selection a bit to 100sq inch around 11ounces 16 x 19 , older models so i can grab 2x for decent price.

thanks again for everybodies input , i will try posting a vid of my serve when weather permits , along with taking a lesson or 2.

cory

Ronaldo
01-22-2012, 09:02 AM
I was going to suggest:

Actually used the Yonex RDX-500 for 5 yrs because it is so easy on the arm. Switched to the PK Redondo mp, a bit heavier and just as easy on the arm.